38 replies to this topic

#21 Somewherebetween

Somewherebetween

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:19 PM

The older form is from the Etruscan period of the area. The Etruscans were a very spiritual people. full of mystery and lost custom, they had their own traditions and language, most of which was assimilated by Rome as the Romans gradually took over the city-states there in pre-Xtian times. Those mystical and folk traditions went underground (the original meaning for Pagan, Pagani, was aimed at the remaining Etruscan folk who maintained the lore) but it never really disappeared. And when Aradia appeared in the 14 century she reintroduced the spirit in the Pagani to promote the La Vaccia Religione (The Old Religion) again, this is what became known as Stregheria.

There is debate as to the actual form of Stregheria today, this is because of the influence of Charles Leyland's books, very many modern Stregheria I have talked to denounce his works as a distortion of the interpretation of Stregheria lore.

FFFF
Elf

Very interesting, thank you for your insight.

#22 Brigid

Brigid

Beyond The Bullshit...........yeah, even yours.......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:31 PM

I have met only one Stregheria witch to my knowledge, she wouldn't read a book on witchcraft if you payed her to do so!! The true Stregheria is steeped intradition and has no use for the modern take on their belief system!
Ritualistic behaviour, though well-intentioned, possesses no significance or effectiveness unless its external prescription is matched by a personal, internal motivation of will and desire.

#23 Shadow Touch

Shadow Touch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:20 PM

I have met only one Stregheria witch to my knowledge, she wouldn't read a book on witchcraft if you payed her to do so!! The true Stregheria is steeped intradition and has no use for the modern take on their belief system!

I think that practitioners of the "true Stregheria" (whatever you mean by that) are people of free will like any people. So some may choose to embrace newer elements that come along. I think there's little doubt that systems evolve over time in any case, and they're not now precisely as they were in the early days of their origin. Any study of folkloric traditions is evidence of evolution and transformation to some degree, as well as are folk magic traditions and so forth. I guess it's the law of Nature - adapt, evolve, or perish.

A thorn-blooded witch of the Old Ways

#24 Brigid

Brigid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:01 PM

I think that practitioners of the "true Stregheria" (whatever you mean by that) are people of free will like any people. So some may choose to embrace newer elements that come along. I think there's little doubt that systems evolve over time in any case, and they're not now precisely as they were in the early days of their origin. Any study of folkloric traditions is evidence of evolution and transformation to some degree, as well as are folk magic traditions and so forth. I guess it's the law of Nature - adapt, evolve, or perish.

I agree with what you are saying here, of course this woman was very old and set in her ways. She used the term "True Stregheria" When I asked her of her path, and simply snorted when discussing anything considered "new" or evolved for that matter. Perhaps I should have been more clear in my response.

Ritualistic behaviour, though well-intentioned, possesses no significance or effectiveness unless its external prescription is matched by a personal, internal motivation of will and desire.

#25 Shadow Touch

Shadow Touch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:31 PM

I agree with what you are saying here, of course this woman was very old and set in her ways. She used the term "True Stregheria" When I asked her of her path, and simply snorted when discussing anything considered "new" or evolved for that matter. Perhaps I should have been more clear in my response.

Oh, it's all good. I was only trying to point out that things are not so black and white as some people might make them appear. I was trained by "Old World" Witches and so I know what you mean by "set in her ways" - and I think we do need the factory settings available so that we don't stray too far from the Well Worn Path. There's a reason for "restore" and "reboot" after all. :)

Edited by Shadow Touch, 17 August 2011 - 06:31 PM.

A thorn-blooded witch of the Old Ways

#26 Brigid

Brigid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:37 PM

Oh, it's all good. I was only trying to point out that things are not so black and white as some people might make them appear. I was trained by "Old World" Witches and so I know what you mean by "set in her ways" - and I think we do need the factory settings available so that we don't stray too far from the Well Worn Path. There's a reason for "restore" and "reboot" after all. :)

Posted Image

#27 Gray

Gray

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:58 AM

From what I can gather you are not looking so much for a "tradition" as a religion that fits your beliefs. You will probably not find one that is entirely compatible with your views. I personally don't attempt to conform to any dogma or religion, but some of my beliefs are similar to yours. I look at Norse, Saxon, Germanic beliefs as a guide, but not as definitive truth. Okay, I'm digressing my views are not the issue.

Look to your intuition as a guide in terms of beliefs. Let your experience and senses define your view of the world, the cosmos, or whatever. The problem with your approach is that it's the opposite of what is normal for most people. The vast majority of people derive their beliefs from the teachings of their religion, and they don't derive their own beliefs and then seek religions that are in agreement. I do not wish to imply that you are wrong in your approach, is just that your approach is a lot more difficult. Having done the same thing myself, I have never found a single belief structure/ religion that mirrors my own views. If you are unable to find a religious view that fits, don't worry about it. It's just another label that you won't wear and another pigeon hole into which you won't fit. Walk your own path follow your own heart and your own call, but don't abandon reason. That's not such a bad choice in my opinion.

#28 Guest_LadyofTheRavens_*

Guest_LadyofTheRavens_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

Hi,

I am hoping that with the wide range of people here that someone may be able to help me find a tradition which aligns with what I believe. I wish not to bore you with the long story (I am 36, this was not over night) of how my beliefs came to be, or how they came to me, but I will say that they are not from a source I have been able to find at least singularly, and they were formed before I read any texts. Hence, why I am asking for help. I will make this as brief as possible. Please, do not take all my terminological literal. Somethings, I really have a lack of better terms for, but, hopefully within my descriptions you will understand what I am referring to. This is a bit of a long read and if you chose not to read it I understand.

I do not believe in the good vs evil thing. I believe these were concepts created by the King who had the bible created to control people. Therefore, I don't believe in the pure opposing forces of angels and demons as they are presented in said book. That said I do not fully subscribe to evolution, either. I believe that there was interference in the process and maybe some where not even part of that chain, but not from little green or grey man either. Maybe, further in my beliefs a small picture might be created for you.

I believe there are for a lack of a better term layers of different beings and worlds which can be accessed by those whom are awake to them. It seems some feel theory need to use different methods to access them, thou, I personally am against the use of drugs and harsh psychodrama to access them. That is probably highly do to the fact I don't need that and feel like you put yourself at risk using them. No offense is meant or intended by this. I seem to have some odd, intense, reaction to even the mildest things like pot. My reaction seems to go far beyond what I have come to learn as typical for most. On the psychodrama, I don't need the intensity of it that I have read about. I wish not to insult anyone, I just lack that need. I guess my point with this is I need something more subtle.

Anyhow, back on track. In these layers/worlds I believe there are beings of both creation and knowledge. I also believe in spirits of this whom have pasted. Some stay, many have a layer of their own (a completely human type spirit). Some chose to continue to learn (reincarnation) and some take their places on different layers and can be different beings (but they were once these beings anyway they chose to be here for some purpose but must return to whence they came). Sometimes I believe there is a mixing of these things, but it isn't typical. In this I would like to point out when it comes to those human spirits that have past... dust is dust and mold is mold. "Orbs" are not what I am talking about.

I also believe their are nature type spirits. Not the Hollywood type, thou. I don't believe they are out to trap us. They are beings of knowledge and do want for human companionship at times. But, I don't believe they harm us or are succubus and the alike sucking out our lives. But, I also don't believe that they spend all day fixing nature and partying either. I think they are there and share of knowledge of nature energy, sometimes warn us and sometimes push us to new developments. I don't believe in as many types as I have heard about, thou, maybe, that is my own ignorance. Maybe, I can only connect with a few. This isn't meant to be insulting in any case. I would never trump or scoff at another views different to mine. These are only my personal ways of believing and I have yet to open every door.

I believe there is yet another group of more for the lack of better terms dark beings. Not demons out to punish us. But ones more of the creation factor. They hold deep knowledge of most everything created both physical and metaphysical. These are the where the powers of creation threw "chaos" are held. They are fairly scarey creatures, do to the fact, they do not resemble us and hold such strong energy. They stay in they dark usually just out of sight. They are not demons, they don't possess you nor do they serve as a punisher, nor do they wish to end our world. They helped create it why would they destroy it? They also like us to some degree but do not feel everyone deserves their knowledge or the ability to tap into their powers. They don't serve anything. They do as they please. They can take away and they can give. Fear is an extremely high energy source, much like creation. They don't feed on it per say rather aren't opposed to keeping it cycled. I can't properly describe it. They don't run out to spook us rather when you feel that tension of overwhelming fear in the dark, one of them could be near. If it isn't a bit of touch over from the human spirit realm. They can and will interact with us on different levels. Enough on that.

Then and these are not in order so you know. There is the what has been termed the "aliens" I guess for alack of better terms. Not the little green or grey dudes flying around in ufos. Rather they are the knowledge givers, and have had a direct impact on human kind and the advancement of it. They can appear as solid beings but are more "celestial" might fit? They don't slaughter cows or abduct us, ha ha! Rather I think these beings are the ones that thought us math, language, advanced building, and such. I believe these are the ones the myths of Atlantis and angels come from. They never had a city on earth, nor do they serve a God to protect us. Rather they are that gave us that "light", "divine" or whatever you want to call it. But they aren't the same they aren't all loving and gooey. They gave and so they can take away as well. They gave us the higher knowledge and helped us become what we are now both physically and mentally, but not all came from them either, if that makes any sense. I think who we are is somehow connected to what realm we meaning our "souls" come from. Sometimes our physical body shows that.. especially in those more whom are more connected with that side.

Anyhow, enough on all that. This has gotten far too long. But, these are the things I believe and are what we can tap into. The ones who are enlightened, anyhow. All these things are equally important from using herbs and being in touch with nature to the creation beings/forces. I don't believe this is an eclectic view. I believe it is an all in one and maybe I just can't express properly the fine details of how it is all interconnected. They are separate but not. Tapping into one means tapping into all. It is all a balance, no evil or no good. It just is. All creation is a unified thing but they don't hang out or torment each other. It is somehow all one. I can not describe it properly. Maybe, this is why I struggle so much? I feel there is some tradition out there that is all of this and I fail to find it cause I fail to know how to make it all relate properly.

Anyhow, if you took the time to read all of this, Thank You!

If you know what I am talking about, how it is all connected and a tradition that is this, please help me find it.

I seriously think you should start researching the Fae and the different legends from around the world. I see many similarities between the Norse gods (Aesir) and the Tuatha De Dannan (the celtic fae)... in fact so much so that I have some tentative theories that they are indeed an alien race that came to earth, not necessarily from another planet, but from another world/dimension. The problem is there is so much fluff out there about the fae, you have to sort through it all for what feels right. The reason I suggest them is because a lot of what you say sounds like what believe, and this is the path I am on now. And NO I don't see them as all flitting around playing in the flowers etc either. I see them as warriors, mages, scholars etc just like us.

#29 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:00 PM

I seriously think you should start researching the Fae and the different legends from around the world. I see many similarities between the Norse gods (Aesir) and the Tuatha De Dannan (the celtic fae)... in fact so much so that I have some tentative theories that they are indeed an alien race that came to earth, not necessarily from another planet, but from another world/dimension. The problem is there is so much fluff out there about the fae, you have to sort through it all for what feels right. The reason I suggest them is because a lot of what you say sounds like what believe, and this is the path I am on now. And NO I don't see them as all flitting around playing in the flowers etc either. I see them as warriors, mages, scholars etc just like us.

:thumbsup:

#30 Somewherebetween

Somewherebetween

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:53 AM

Wow, this is old, lol! Thanks for the reply. While, I have an interest in Fae, thou, I hadn't thought about it in awhile. My reasoning and ways have changed. I no longer am seeking the one true this or that or a religious mountain to place it on. I just like to learn and grow. My biggest focus has been on the different aspects of self as of late. It is interesting to re read this, thou. And funny how very vague it is but still allot was pulled from it. Nice work!

#31 Guest_LadyofTheRavens_*

Guest_LadyofTheRavens_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:55 AM

Wow, this is old, lol! Thanks for the reply. While, I have an interest in Fae, thou, I hadn't thought about it in awhile. My reasoning and ways have changed. I no longer am seeking the one true this or that or a religious mountain to place it on. I just like to learn and grow. My biggest focus has been on the different aspects of self as of late. It is interesting to re read this, thou. And funny how very vague it is but still allot was pulled from it. Nice work!

haha! I actually didn't notice the age... but it's always good to get brought back to old posts to show us how far we have come :) ...or not... lol

#32 foxman

foxman

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:40 PM

Spiritualists believe in seven layers of contact called by various names. I don't experience that on the Astral so I don't believe it exists in that way. I'm not joined to my body by a silver chord or attached some other way other than by a psychic link somewhat like bluetooth. I have seen spirits and I have been visited by spirits and some other beings that can't be explained by words like god, goddess, or angel - but they are very powerful - because when they arrive I get a blast of air on my face, or when they move with me somewhere, they want to take me - I get a draft around me like they are moving the air aside. Some of these beings have an aura - which I have come to call the Nimbus of Power. In some cases its pure gold, in others silver. But these 'attachments' around the shoulders or head can be various colours too - for instance if there is a violet-azure colour behind my visitor I feel I can heal everyone - that is just a feeling I get. These beings have names - not titles like Hecate (Hundred-eyed one) or Lucifer (Light-bearer). The names are what they recognise themselves as being their own name. This was revealed to me over many years. These I don't write down. I've not been told not to write them down, I just get the feeling that what I've been given (name) was given to me and no one else. So in order to distinguish between spirits I give them a title such as Mercury (because that spirit had a gold infloresence on their ankles) and had no effort in moving up down, or in any direction. I'm not sure either whether what I am seeing is common with anyone else who is psychic. I feel that everyone is at a particular level of understanding - and when they get to a certain point their view of what goes on around them on the astral changes. I can't help people to see what I see either. Its not that I don't want to - its more a case of I don't know how to. foxman

#33 foxman

foxman

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:05 PM

I study Fae a lot, Lady_of_the_Ravens. I have met with and seen the fae over some fifty years. Like the message from me (above), I have met brownies, and some others and I knw about the dark ones you mention - they are a part of my tradition. We have a common name for them and an inner name we keep to ourselves, since using it draws them to us. I even have to think another name for them rather than mention the name we know them by. The outer name we hace come to know these dark Matter spirits by is soul eaters. Some other person seized on the name when mentioning it and its become part of Her storyline. There's nothing I can do about that. What's done is done. However, I hope these beings don't come to her because they'll make her shit a hole in the fabric of space so deep that other beings from other universes will come through!  Actually, Lady_of_the_ravens, your name is an apt choice to call yourself by, since some of the dark spirits manifest around Ravens in our space. I wasn't going to mention those but having read your post, I thought I aught.

Yes, you can tap into them.  but I don't know how to show you how. What you experience and what I experience may be on two different levels, seeing these beings from different perspectives to each other. Its like a teacher of music trying to show a raw student what transitions are and where they are important in music.

I think a lot of people are going to have a good think about this subject. lol :D foxman

#34 foxman

foxman

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:14 PM

Brigid, Stregheria, is the word for Italian Witchcraft. Geofrey Leyland mentioned it in one of his books, but it goes back a lot further than Leyland...almost on a par with Traditional Craft in this coutry such as Norfolk and Kernow (sorry Cornwall)!foxman

#35 foxman

foxman

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:28 PM

Also, The_Exiled_Goddess, these books you mention by Andrew Chumbley are now very expensive. Azoetia cost me nearly a grand to buy but what you get inside is similar to what I am putting into my book. You get a lot more than the written page and perculiar graphics - you also get the 'Spirits' attached to the books! Almost like some of the books I have by Crowley - well the ones that were signed by him, I mean. Another person to seek out is Sax Romer. Sax was a member of the Golden Dawn (the original one in London) and although he wrote books like Fumanchu etc,  he does have a few 'exotic' books pertaining to his studies. You will really have to research him to find them. A good place to start is Midian Books in Leicestershire, as they carry a lot of worthwile books - don't go to W. H. Smith they deal with modern books - you need the second-hand ones - the ones that were actually used in ritual and acquired more than the printed matter they contain!foxman

#36 Apryl

Apryl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:19 AM

Dear Foxman,

While your information may be of value to other members, I believe that LadyoftheRavens left our forum some time ago. Mods or LOR correct me if I'm wrong.

#37 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,759 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:34 PM

Slightly wrong, Apryl. Lady of the ravens was posting as a guest, since this is a guest posting area.

Inevitably, as we allow old posts to be revived, some of the posters will have moved on.

I don't see a problem with replying to them, or referencing them, since it is the ideas that are being responded to.

)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#38 Apryl

Apryl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:19 PM

Understood, thank you, I stand corrected. Was only trying to be helpful.  :thanks:

#39 Somewherebetween

Somewherebetween

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 01:37 AM

Wow! Completely interesting to see where my thought process was at the time and the responces to them. Interesting to see that at this time I was fighting with things that I had long held in different light. It seems to me that at this point (snap shot) in my life I was fighting to understand some quantum physics.. as I understood them... but, somehow down play some aspects of differing beings not allowing myself to go with my nature and realize and acknowlodge the good, bad and mischevious. Why would I do this? I had full knowdlege there were things that could screw with you and harm you. I have always walked the line between the dead and living. Not everything is nice. Maybe, some level of comfort and a whole lot of denial.. I must have needed at that time. It seems as thou this was a forced writing on my part almost, maybe.. to try and gain some level of acceptence.. So much left out and so much twisted to seem so neutral. Interesting, lol! Sorry, I have been gone so long... been distracted by shiny things such as guitars, lol. In light of reading this... maybe, it was for the best, lol! Thou, I have dearly missed some of the great people I has come to know and trust. It is obivious.. my head needed to regain itself and I needed to regain trust within myself.