Hedgehog rescue..

Gramayr

Got a call from my other half telling me of a baby hedgehog near the road in our village, said it was breathing but wasn't moving much. Decided to take our pet carrier along and see if it was ok. Got the little one home and put some corned beef in the carrier along with some water. Just started peeing down outside so lucky there.. Going to keep an eye on the little might see how things go.

a83d3e4d.jpg

b4909f16.jpg

Will keep folks posted :)

I saw something on TV yesterday about baby hedgehogs saying they're born smooth (a mercy for the mother). A whole hedgehog family visits our back garden patio every night and grunt and run around in circles to tease the cats. There's a rescue centre here called 'Tiggywinkles'. What are you going to do with it?

I was just saying earlier to my partner that I missed being in the country as instead of hedgehogs we get rats!

Used to have a little family of hedgehogs living in the garden, a mother, father and three children, they would even come out during the day to sit with us in the garden. Unfrotuantely the father hedgehog got very ill and we found him curled up on the lawn with several ticks, including one burrowed into his ear, took him to a thankfully nearby hedgehog hospital but I hear he didn't make it :( Shortly afterwards the mother and her three children in a little conga line left the garden and didn't come back, was such a shame.

Hope your little fella has a nice ending to his escapade.

Our hedgies liked garlic barbequed turkey!

Going to keep it overnight and see how it goes, my neighbour works at a vets if it takes a turn for the worse. My other half didn't know if it had been hit by a car etc. I think it's just exhausted so we've put food and water in the carrier for it (not bread and milk as my work mate suggested - had to put him right there..) and am keeping it warm.

I've heard about Tiggywinkles as we used to get visits at the garden centre I worked at years ago. I also used to rescue hedgehogs from electric fences if they got caught in them.

If it perks up a lot I'll let it go in our garden, it's got plenty of room with hedges and bushes to go under as well as nice big juicy slugs etc to eat.

At the end of the day it's a wild animal and will be released - even though my 4 year old daughter wants to keep it as a pet lol

Oh my Gramayr! I hope all goes well for your new guest. Please keep us posted. Thank you !

Regards,

Gypsy & " Max "

Sad news I'm afraid...

It wasn't breathing too well last night and just looked in on it and it's stiff as a board.

Poor little thing, at least we gave it a chance - otherwise it would have got soaking wet through, run over or eaten.

Kids won't be happy but they've gotta learn sometime about nature.

Oh well :(

Sad news I'm afraid...

It wasn't breathing too well last night and just looked in on it and it's stiff as a board.

Poor little thing, at least we gave it a chance - otherwise it would have got soaking wet through, run over or eaten.

Kids won't be happy but they've gotta learn sometime about nature.

Oh well :(

While death can be sad and confusing for little ones, you are so right about the learning process. I find that if one doesn't explain to little curious minds, those minds become desensitized to Nature, and the small ways it teaches us compassion, imho.

Regards,

Gypsy

Guest Elfyd

I share everyone's feelings about this. I love Hedgehogs, I remember cradling them as a kid when pottering around the fields, so endearing and also I grew up with "Rag Tag & Bobtail" so I am a lost cause.

Life lessons are important, just like this one for the little ones, one of mine was when I was responsible for he death of my rabbit through negligence.

FFFF

Elf

Well, I got home from work just before my other half arrived with the kids (she'd picked them up from nursery after work). My 4 year old daughter wanted to say goodbye to the hedgehog after having a good look at her. My 20 month old son waved and said bye bye. The kids went inside while I buried the poor little fella at the foot of our tree (not before picking up a half dozen spines that *kof* accidentally fell off :rolleyes_witch: )

Shame she didn't survive but I'd like to think we gave her a chance. The kids took it rather well though the lure of the telly quickly took their minds off it (which is sad in itself but there you go..)

Hedgehogs are tricky to keep alive in captivity and when they are ill or stressed. We have had quite a few, and it was our vet who informed me of that. You did all you could :cry_witch: what a shame

Archived