Brambles

Gramayr

Interesting Gramayr.. I didnt realize that some subgenus can grow as much as 3 inches per day.. Thanks for the link!

So bramble berries aren't really 'berries'? Interesting.

I'm with Ldy; I didn't know they could grow 3 inches in a day! No wonder they took over my mother's backyard so aggressively in the past. There was a point at which they were climbing up the side of the house, and covering a window.

That was a hell of an ordeal when she wanted to paint the house. lol

But yeah, brambles thrive and then some on this side of the state. You leave an open lot untended for a month or so, a blackberry shoot will just pop up out of nowhere.

Wow! Thanks for this Gramayr, very interesting indeed. Although not brambles, we have a slew of wild Raspberries that grow along the dirt road here, 7 cat's and I do go picking. I've often wondered if I need a permit for the parade that follows me and my buckets. lol ! I make a chipolte/raspberry sause for my bbq's.

Regards,

Gypsy

We have them growing most prolifically in a hedge between two fields just after one of my favourite oak trees ( he has a massive damson bush as a pal)

I usually go picking and mother does all the baking since I cannot cook ! Though I admit I'm a "one in the tub two for me" sort of picker :P

Guest Elfyd

Just got this posted on my Facebook page, thought some might find bits interesting.

Hey Gram,

Thanks for this, brings back fond memories of Sunday afternoons with my parents out in the hedgerows picking blackberries so my mum could make her divine blackberry & apple pie, ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Makes me pine for the glory of the English countryside once more.

400 species? Well, when humanity finally kills itself off the World will probably be left for Kudzu, Cockroaches and Brambles.

FFFF

Elf

Mmmm.. love blackberries.. cobbler, ice cream.. wine.. lol

400 species? Well, when humanity finally kills itself off the World will probably be left for Kudzu, Cockroaches and Brambles.

Now, thats funny Elf!

I know as a kid on my dads allotment we would pick brambles, to make sure they were clean we would give them a short sharp blow - as everyone knows blowing on them gets rid of every nasty crawly things and muck of every kind rendering them safe to eat lol.

Also have fond memories of picking loganberries which are a lot bigger and just as tasty :)

Ah memories *sigh* the allotments aren't as they used to be, all overgrown and no care put into them - not a place to take the kids anymore.. :(

the allotments aren't as they used to be, all overgrown and no care put into them - not a place to take the kids anymore.. :(

Really? if any get weedy and untended on our site they get sent a lettter, basically saying attend to it or lose the plot !

Some untended ones have just been "reposessed" so to speak. Which is a shame because I can't nick any more apples off the abandoned tree now <_< :P

I'm quite surprised really. I did read not too long ago that allotment sites were very sought after, and that in some places there were waiting lists.

Really? if any get weedy and untended on our site they get sent a lettter, basically saying attend to it or lose the plot !

Some untended ones have just been "reposessed" so to speak. Which is a shame because I can't nick any more apples off the abandoned tree now <_< :P

I'm quite surprised really. I did read not too long ago that allotment sites were very sought after, and that in some places there were waiting lists.

That's supposed to be the case.

Once over you could get a car right up to the top of ours (council grasscutter tractor would regularly go up) now you'd be hard pressed to get up wearing shorts in case you got nettled.

One old guy gave his garden up due to vandals (t'was one of the best around) a lady took it over for her kids to play on.. Went to rack and ruin.

Nowadays young couples get one, have a bash for a few months and give up as it's hard work or haven't got the time. Oh well.

Guest Elfyd

When my Dad retired (51 years at the same pit!) I got him an allotment, it was the only one available because it had been used as a tip. I cleaned it out , got rid of the rubbish, double-dug the whole thing and turned it over to him. In short order he had the best allotment of them all. Dad had never had a green-thumb in his life (no time or garden) but he took to it like a Republican to a bribe, he was the envy of all the regualars, I was so happy for him. On his plot was an old air-raid shelter, not big but cosy, he would spend much of the day there, when hot tending the soil he would be with the other lads there, drinking, playing cards and dominoes and telling tall-tales, he so very much deserved the time he had earned, I do miss him(and my Mum) so much.

FFFF

Elf

Archived