- - - - -

TRADITIONAL WITCHCRAFT?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:24 AM

Unagal self admittedly knew he was going to offend in his OP, There are intermittent words of disdain throughout his OP.

He asked the question "Is the forum not about traditional magic? " I replied with a link on just that, allbeit with a few condescending words to boot, but I found his words "It's not the little talks, which are cute" condescending. Like for like. He chose to not respond to my post, maybe because he didn't like my attitude, I don't know and I shouldn't assume.

One wouldn't go into a strangers home expecting them to share their knowledge and wisdom but before hand tell them their home lacks substance. No one is unwordly enough not to know that.

#22 Stacey

Stacey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:37 AM

I was very excited to find this forum .In my researches on the internet I have stumbled upon so much Wicca material that I started to think that they have monopolized the word "magic spell" with copyrights .I felt they made a mockery of it.I could not find a single piece of information to be useful to me (and I strongly believe in general and for anyone).I do not believe in lighting scented candles sprinkled with glitter, making up chants like it was poetry and wishing upon things using the "ancient power of wanting it really bad" - what's next... drawing a burning candle and say it represents a candle and it's good enough? this kind of magic feels like a kindergarten for "special kids".I have a background already in the magical tradition of my country, but I wanted to find connections with other traditions and deepen my knoledge.
Since I arrived here, following the discussions, I found a bit of the old stuff I was running from and less tradition than I expected.It's not the little talks, which are cute, but the actual information discussed sometimes and presented.I do not mean to be disrespectful (though I already know I set myself on fire with this post), but I only feel the need to share my concern and I need to know if there are members that share my view in making an effort to keep the old magical traditions alive.Is the forum not about traditional magic? What does "traditional" mean for you ?

I sincerely regret I anyone felt offended by my words

I'm not some one to typically fly off the handle and I do think it takes time to earn the respect of others who have been here a long time and also the right to disagree and argue. I've not been here that long, so I don't know that I'm quite there yet HOWEVER I read this post and your follow ups and I was willing to make allowances for the fact that you obviously are not a native English speaker and thought perhaps some things got lost in translation - it happens but I'm sorry, "little talks which are cute"? Could you have made a more disrespectful comment? I'm not sure what you expected and quite frankly, right now I don't care, but we all like to have a little fun here now and then and yes, we will start topics which are fun and light hearted and usually in the Public area so everyone can join in.

Others are right, the topics with more depth, discussion and opinion are in other areas, areas you have to earn access to. If you had waited, posted a bit here and there and go to know some of us, you eventually would have had access to those areas and perhaps sought what you were looking for. As it stands now, your first impression is less than exemplary and your attitude whining and condescending. I hope that you do stay here and perhaps show us all a different side of yourself but please, just bear in mind that sometimes it is more pertinent, especially if you are new, to hold your tongue or at least watch what comes off it.

Have you read Balkan Traditional Witchcraft? As I understand it (having not read it), it is about traditional magic and folk practices of the Balkan regions of which I believe Romania is peripherally a part of. Perhaps it could answer some of your questions.

Edited by Stacey, 27 July 2011 - 04:40 AM.

"The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by an invader. The mind is a complex and many-layered thing." Severus Snape - HP and the Order of the Phoenix

#23 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:38 AM

The "little talks that are cute" he was actually referring to the chat room social talks and some of the jesting and humor between members in there, and yes it is "cute" as are some of the little "humor" sections we have here.

I do not believe a forum is any sort of elite coven-type meeting-place... it is a give-and-take media not a "if we think you're good enough we will share our secrets with you" place. He came in up front and started sharing is lore, and people jumped on it and asked for more info, yet very few (if any that I remember) offered any opinons of the lore or discussion of the lore much less any lore of their own. And beings as so few on here have formal "training" the lore most of us knw is not "ssecret" by any design other than our own. From the last pm he sent me I do not think he will be back, and from his extensive knowledge of oral tradition (something there is not a lot of knowledge of thesedays on ANY public forum) other than the "granny magics" (which is very interesting folklore btw) of the mountain regioins. I think that is a great loss, not to mention someone who was (at least to me) actually a nice person. And any mods are more than welcome to go into my inbox and read the pm's between us.

But what's done is done. I do sometimes wonder, though, where so much backlash comes from.

M

#24 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:46 AM

The "little talks that are cute" he was actually referring to the chat room social talks and some of the jesting and humor between members in there, and yes it is "cute" as are some of the little "humor" sections we have here.

I do not believe a forum is any sort of elite coven-type meeting-place... it is a give-and-take media not a "if we think you're good enough we will share our secrets with you" place. He came in up front and started sharing is lore, and people jumped on it and asked for more info, yet very few (if any that I remember) offered any opinons of the lore or discussion of the lore much less any lore of their own. And beings as so few on here have formal "training" the lore most of us knw is not "ssecret" by any design other than our own. From the last pm he sent me I do not think he will be back, and from his extensive knowledge of oral tradition (something there is not a lot of knowledge of thesedays on ANY public forum) other than the "granny magics" (which is very interesting folklore btw) of the mountain regioins. I think that is a great loss, not to mention someone who was (at least to me) actually a nice person. And any mods are more than welcome to go into my inbox and read the pm's between us.

But what's done is done. I do sometimes wonder, though, where so much backlash comes from.

M

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but felt that he was intentionally provocative and therefore should respond to people (like me) taking his bait. But like I said, it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong about someone's intentions. When I saw him online I was hoping he'd decided to come back and continue to participate.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#25 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:21 PM

I agree to disagree and will bow out on this.

I will say Unagal, that your English is far better than some whose English is a first language. (with the exception of a few spelling errors). Meant as a compliment.

#26 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:34 PM

And any mods are more than welcome to go into my inbox and read the pm's between us.
M

Just wanted to give a point of information, neither Mod's nor Admin can read people's PMs. They are truly private.

Unagal has requested that his membership be deleted. I am locking this thread while we discuss this with him.

)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.