Photo
- - - - -

ABC news item

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 witchwood

witchwood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:39 AM

Take a look at this link. Quite interesting. Rather short article considering that they spent the whole day and eve with me. Still it is a positive one.

http://www.patheos.c...-nightline.html

FFFF

Simon

#2 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:55 AM

Take a look at this link. Quite interesting. Rather short article considering that they spent the whole day and eve with me. Still it is a positive one.

FFFF

Simon

Pretty cool. Thanks for sharing.

#3 LdyShalott

LdyShalott

NecRomancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:44 AM

Thanks for sharing Simon,,, Short but more positive .. Well done!

Most witches don’t believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.  T.P.

In order to understand the living.. you have to commune with the dead..
You are a tiny little soul carrying around a corpse.-- Epictetus
All experience is an arch wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move.

#4 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 12:30 PM

Very nice! What got cut out that you wish they'd included?
"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#5 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 12:37 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed that. Thank you so much for sharing, again a positive !

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#6 witchwood

witchwood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:27 PM

Very nice! What got cut out that you wish they'd included?

I was interviewed at work about Paganism in general which was cut out although parts of what was said was mentioned in the narration. The interview at the Naked Man where we held the ritual went on for 40mins covering what we had just done and why. There was no explanation of this but I think that should have been included. All in all it was still a positive piece so they have to cater for thier needs too I guess.

#7 Celtic Wonderer

Celtic Wonderer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:37 PM

Pretty cool. Thanks!

#8 Absinthe

Absinthe

Inquisitor's Bane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:01 PM

WHAT? A Pagan who is also a respectable, upstanding pillar of the community!! This does not compute....somebody throw in a human sacrifice or some naked cavorting.

No, seriously. I enjoyed seeing that; it was so positive and did the rest of us a lot of good. Sorry they cut so much out.

Nosce te ipsum, et sapere aude

#9 Guest_ZenDraegan_*

Guest_ZenDraegan_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:07 PM

FFFF

Simon

Break outs some goats blood and lets celebrate!!!! Right on Mate!

#10 Pye

Pye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:16 PM

Thanks for posting that, very interesting.
It's good to see a much more positive approach taken despite the shortness of the clip.
Don't know too much about the Pagan Police Association but am aware of it's existence. How do you find it? Meaning, I guess, having a supporting body in your workplace?
What sort of role does it play? How is it viewed by your other professional bodies?

Interesting for me being a nurse, some of my colleagues being nurses and health professionals and pagan/heathen.

'The apple cannot be stuck back on the Tree of Knowledge; once we begin to see, we are doomed and challenged to seek the strength to see more, not less.'
Arthur Miller

#11 witchwood

witchwood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:51 AM

Thanks for posting that, very interesting.
It's good to see a much more positive approach taken despite the shortness of the clip.
Don't know too much about the Pagan Police Association but am aware of it's existence. How do you find it? Meaning, I guess, having a supporting body in your workplace?
What sort of role does it play? How is it viewed by your other professional bodies?

Interesting for me being a nurse, some of my colleagues being nurses and health professionals and pagan/heathen.

Hi, well as the PPA is less than 2 years old we have had a slow but steady start. Im on the exec committee. We are slowly being accepted by the other bodies involved with the Police and I have to say that it is positive on the whole. Although on an individual basis we do have barriers. An example being when I asked for permission to go to Hertfordshire for the AGM in job time as it was a 3 hr drive away I was turned down by our Assistant Chief Constable. A few months later ACPO acknowledged us as a Staff Association and I have since been asked to give presentation to equality and fairness groups in my force and for advice over a protest at a Pagan moot for a bordering force. Another positive is that Pagans within the force are now "coming out" if that is the right expression and not hiding away which is great.
We are there simply to offer support and advice from officers feeling bullied to senior management as noted above.

#12 Pye

Pye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:52 AM

Hi, well as the PPA is less than 2 years old we have had a slow but steady start. Im on the exec committee. We are slowly being accepted by the other bodies involved with the Police and I have to say that it is positive on the whole. Although on an individual basis we do have barriers. An example being when I asked for permission to go to Hertfordshire for the AGM in job time as it was a 3 hr drive away I was turned down by our Assistant Chief Constable. A few months later ACPO acknowledged us as a Staff Association and I have since been asked to give presentation to equality and fairness groups in my force and for advice over a protest at a Pagan moot for a bordering force. Another positive is that Pagans within the force are now "coming out" if that is the right expression and not hiding away which is great.
We are there simply to offer support and advice from officers feeling bullied to senior management as noted above.

Thanks for that, seems quite a useful association. There is nothing like it that I have found in the U.K regarding nursing apart from the odd blog post.
Pondering on it's usefulness in our business at the moment.
Interesting about the 'coming out' situation.In my experience of my profession many 'come out' to each other, but that tends to be where it stays, quietly usually.
Perhaps we are a lucky few but have'nt experienced bullying based on our beliefs, largely we get any requests we put in for annual leave unless there's organisational issues.
If anything, the likelihood of complaints from other faiths about our beliefs would be the more likely, rather than management issues, in my experience.

'The apple cannot be stuck back on the Tree of Knowledge; once we begin to see, we are doomed and challenged to seek the strength to see more, not less.'
Arthur Miller

#13 Guest_MissTree_*

Guest_MissTree_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:28 PM

Nice to see a positive report like that. Thanks for sharing. :-)