Sign in to follow this  
barefoot tabby

Witchy Traits

I am too tired to read through the thread tonight, so I am bumping it so I can finish reading it in the morning :D

Twice while being introduced to a new person I have been told: "You're a witch, aren't you?" Both times this was in a work context and before I had really admitted to myself what I was, I just sluffed it off saying that I had been called worse. I don't know why they said that to me, I gave them no cause, only extended my hand for a handshake.

I do have long fingers.

Oh yeah and the eyes. Once while working on an engineering project I found myself giving one fellow who didn't like taking orders from a woman "The Stare" when another man whom I had worked with before said, "Uh oh! If she tells you to go to hell you better start walking!"

Edited by Enodia

When I was a girl I was taunted for my "black eyes". I would try to explain they were dark brown, but a popular girl at school insisted they were coal black. I definitely got the whispers and stares about that. 

Yes piano fingers as well. It's funny, I actually never realized these were possible physical "Witch traits"  :vhappywitch:

In my ethic heritage there is a thing called Veil Babies... infants born with membrane covering their faces. This was (and still is considered ) a mark of a witch according to my family.  From what i've told, being born this way  is a fairly a rare occurrence.

The Veil (between the dead and the living) was also talked about much. Babies born with the Veil at birth were instantly revered as being able to walk both worlds. Or so, I've been told from my female kin. News of a Veil Baby spread quickly... even though it was all hush-hush. I've heard my older woman folk whisper.. she's a veil baby... 

Also, webbed toes and fingers (however so slight and barely noticeable) are considered a witch trait in some cultures.  

Strange how physical traits -- not actual power -- still remain part of witch mythology (for lack of a better word)

Yay to those who hide in plain sight. What an advantage that is. 

Edited by Nikki

NIkki!!!! We have this too, the white veil is what we call it! It's a membrane that covers the face or crown of the baby, and has to be taken off quickly or they could suffocate.

Guest monsnoleedra

My family stories are about children born with full veils or partial veils.  Some people say I had a partial veil others say I didn't.  The truth is lost somewhere in-between.  BUt the stories are similar in that those born with a veil are supposed to be able to either walk all worlds or see and hear all worlds at once.

This is interesting to me, 'folklorically' :smile:  I'd be interested to know what 'witch markers' there are other than the more well known stereotypes and how they vary by region, like the caul, for example. 

I have few markers' in common with others on this thread, but i don't really buy into physical traits being indicative of a witch. 

Long, piano fingers... i've always called my hands witch hands because not only are my fingers long but i've got thick, knobby knuckles. 

When i let my hair grown and am just natural with it it gets kinda wild and a bit frizzy. 

A lot of people have commented on my 'intense stare' and gaze or say that they feel like i am reading their minds when i look them in the eyes or that it makes them feel uncomfortable.  I've noticed people getting kind of squirmy and a few even blushing when i'm looking them in the eyes while they are talking.  The weirdest thing is if i look right into their right eye.  It seems to make them uncomfortable and since noticing that i will intentionally do it if i feel like someone is being confrontational with me or trying to intimidate me... and they seem to just shrink and and back off.  My ex and several people have said that my eyes are intimidating, which they also thought was funny because i'm rather small in stature and soft spoken.  The eyes though... i think its because i have unusually dark green eyes with a black outer ring and my pupils are very large.  I have a larger than normal optical nerve and once an eye doctor kept asking me if i was sure i hadn't already had my pupils dilated but then discovered that its due to the large optical nerve.  When people are angry or even when we are attracted to someone our pupils dilate so i can see how on a conscious or subconscious level this could make some people uncomfortable. 

Someone else posted that a child and a mentally ill person once called them a witch or asked them if they were a witch... so weird because i once had a small child ask me 'are you a witch?,' while waiting to be seated at a restaurant and another time a schizophrenic woman who regularly came into a place i worked when i was 21 told me she knows i'm a witch because she could see it in my eyes.

Has anyone ever heard anything about green eyes and being a witch?  In high school i had an algebra teacher who told me the first day of class, point blank. "Green eyes.  You're a witch." and she never treated me well and wouldn't make eye contact with me.  I've never heard that before but i've noticed witches or other magical characters in fiction often have green eyes, like Harry Potter for example, haha.

One interesting thing about green eyes... i have Rh negative blood and awhile back i was doing some research about it online and came across some of the craziest stuff! Conspiracy theories about people with Rh negative blood.... reptilian race, decedents of the Nephilim, etc. etc. and among some of the facts i found that a majority of people who claim to be abducted by aliens, who are psychics, mediums, etc. known occultists, have had paranormal experiences, etc., have Rh negative blood.  AND many people who have Rh negative blood also have green eyes.  If i'm not misremembering, i think only 2-4% of the worlds population have true green eyes, meaning not hazel or blue green.

Oh yeah, i also have a little rather small skin tag-ish, mole-ish thing that came up on the side of my left boob while i was pregnant and didn't go away... i jokingly call it my witch's teat :smile:

And i have a 'beauty mark' mole on my face... some people call it my Cindy Crawford mole as its in the same place :smile:

Edited by melusine

I don't have any suspicious moles, my digits are of normal length, my eyes are hazel, I wore no caul. And yet, people just know. I don't get it. Other folks whistle at birds, and garden, and sit very still. I have seen it. But when I do that, it's "sspoooky." Sheesh. 

This is a fun thread and all, but it really don't matter to me if I do or don't have any witchy physical attributes.  What matters to me is results from my crafting.  I got on my Path because I was done being victimized by visions, travels to, and entities from the Otherworlds- not because I have a truckload of moles, piano hands, a direct gaze, and lack of tears when crying until I was six months old.

• Upvote 1

I don't have anything particularly witchy that I would consider to be worthy of note. I have short fingers and small hands, hazel eyes and large feet. 

This is a fun thread and all, but it really don't matter to me if I do or don't have any witchy physical attributes.  What matters to me is results from my crafting.  I got on my Path because I was done being victimized by visions, travels to, and entities from the Otherworlds- not because I have a truckload of moles, piano hands, a direct gaze, and lack of tears when crying until I was six months old.

I bet if I looked hard enough I could find some good physical markers. But I agree AW, while it is fun to see if you match up to old stereotypes it isn't that important. The measure of a witch is results, not moles.

NIkki!!!! We have this too, the white veil is what we call it! It's a membrane that covers the face or crown of the baby, and has to be taken off quickly or they could suffocate.

Yes, I've heard that too !!!  What a great tag-lock a veil would make, eh?  (makes me think of midwife witches)

I've wondered if there is witchy power in the veil itself? 

Or if the person who removes the veil and saves the child/witch's life is rewarded/punished somehow ?

Or if the infant/witch is somehow linked to the person who saved its life upon birth? Could that person manipulate or mess  with the veil -- affecting the path of the infant/witch? 

hmmmm there may be a short story brewing here...

These veils are also called Cowls... Cauls... thanks to CelticGypsy for bumping the thread... you can read more about it here http://www.traditionalwitch.net/forums/topic/5810-caulbearersborn-with-a-cowl/?do=findComment&comment=77260

Edited by Nikki

My Great Grandmother was the town herbalist/midwife and I never heard any of that in the old family stories.  From what I was told by my Grandmother was that it was mark.  If there's more to it than that - I don't know.

My Great Grandmother was the town herbalist/midwife and I never heard any of that in the old family stories.  From what I was told by my Grandmother was that it was mark.  If there's more to it than that - I don't know.

Hi Rose, :smile:

Would you clarify what I highlighted ? I'm not grasping what you are presenting. I could easily offer that those who were born with the Caul, is only but One Mark, there are other Marks that would also offer physical traits as you well know. :smile:

Thank you.

Regards,

Gypsy

Continuing in the 'fun' vane of this topic: My eyes are hazel too Chrisitne and BrythonicWitch. And if we could go back to the people in the day I would have to ask why didn't 'hazel eyes' make the list of witchy traits?

Hazel eyes are one of the least understood eye colors. What color are hazel eyes? This color is semi-rare and is a combination of several other colors including green and brown. Hazel eyes have less melanin than brown eyes, but more than blue eyes. This eye color can be difficult to define since there is often substantial variation in this eye color. Hazel eyes often appear to shift in color from brown to green. People with this eye color often have a multicolored iris with one color being found close to the pupil and a different color found around the edges. One study indicates that 74% of hazel eyes have a brown ring around the pupil. Hazel eyes are a combination of Rayleigh scattering, the principle that makes the sky and blue eyes appear blue, and melanin, the pigment that makes brown eyes brown.

No one really knows what makes hazel eyes. Some researchers guess that hazel is simply a combination of brown and green eyes. Others guess that there may be modifier genes that cause the eye to make more or less melanin. Hazel eyes are one of the least understood eye colors. Researchers have a basic understanding of where brown, blue and green eyes come from genetically, but hazel eyes are a lot harder to understand and are much more complex.

Green eyes are rarer but mysterious, complex, and unknowable hazel sounds magical to me. :)

My eyes have a dark gray ring around the iris, then dark green around the outer edge, with warm brown next to the pupil.

Edited by Enodia

Hi Enodia, :smile:

I never knew that...thanks for the enlightenment... lol !  I'm the only one in my Family ( parents / siblings ) that was born with a different color than the rest of my family.

How interesting !

Regards,

Gypsy

Can you provide a link for further looking ?

Edited by CelticGypsy

Yes, I've heard that too !!!  What a great tag-lock a veil would make, eh?  (makes me think of midwife witches)

I've wondered if there is witchy power in the veil itself? 

Or if the person who removes the veil and saves the child/witch's life is rewarded/punished somehow ?

Or if the infant/witch is somehow linked to the person who saved its life upon birth? Could that person manipulate or mess  with the veil -- affecting the path of the infant/witch? 

hmmmm there may be a short story brewing here...

Nikki - if my child has it, I'm saving it for sure. Im thinking protective energy, and a connection between mother, child, and the dead. I definitely think there would be an ability to manipulate not only the child, but also the child's connection. I wonder if drying the veil into a poppet, or powdering it, or sewing it into a childhood toy or something would be most effective.... Reminds me of mothers saving baby teeth or snippets from a first haircut

Hi Enodia, :smile:

I never knew that...thanks for the enlightenment... lol !  I'm the only one in my Family ( parents / siblings ) that was born with a different color than the rest of my family.

How interesting !

Regards,

Gypsy

Can you provide a link for further looking ?

Here you go Gypsy:

http://genetics.thetech.org/ask/ask126

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_color

What colour are your eyes Gypsy?

was that it was a mark

Hi Rose, :smile:

Would you clarify what I highlighted ? I'm not grasping what you are presenting. I could easily offer that those who were born with the Caul, is only but One Mark, there are other Marks that would also offer physical traits as you well know. :smile:

Thank you.

Regards,

Gypsy

Oops - I left out one little letter (A) and the sentence made no sense. 

From the stories, yes, it's only one mark of a witch but a very important one.

What a lot of information! Yummy.

Hazel eyes often change color, and pattern, and mine do both often. Greenish brown through to yellow is my normal variance... unless they have tuned dark blue. In that case... I'm so, so sorry. Just run.

I have read in various places that the caul is a very powerful tissue, not only for what it signifies. The benandanti, or at least some of them, were born with caul, and wore the dried tissue in a small bag around the neck lifelong. So my evil mind asks, what if someone swiped that?

I wouldn't want to be the Swiper.  I would not be surprised if the person that wore the caul would be able to reach out to it, find it and either harm or strike dead whoever was dumb enough to steal from them in the first place.  (Whether alone or within their practicing group)

As far as birthmarks go , I probably have a very good one , my left eye is 2/3rd Brown , 1/3rd Blue , right eye is dirty Blue from birth. Mother told me that she wanted my eyes to be Brown like father's cause she thought his were good looking , alas she got just a smidgen of wish HaHa Ha !!! Some of the old pohtos of me it can be easily detected as to color , license has them listed as blue , they didn't have a catagory for mine .

Nabu

Sign in to follow this