Sign in to follow this  
barefoot tabby

Witchy Traits

Perhaps it might do well before the debate begins to specify if we are speaking of literal christianity, gnostic christianity, or "churchianity"...

I think there is a conflict between being a literal xtain (who follows the bible as literal) and being a witch at the same time.

I think there is a conflict between being a "chruchian" and a witch at the same time.

I don't think there is a conflict between being a gnostic xtian and a witch at the same time (some gnostics are quite into the occult).

I don't think there is a conflict between being a xtian who does not take the bible literally but as symbols and mythology.

To be a xtian means, literally, one who accepts Christ as their "saviour" - saviour being one who enlightens the soul... Nothing to do with the bible or the church or anything else... they all came into the picture later in the game.

Again, it all comes down to how one defines xtian and how one defines witch.

Also - if the main argument is how could anyone be a witch and follow the bible when it says witchcraft is evil.... well, the bible also says you shouldn't kill or drool over your neighbor's wife, but plenty of xtians lust and plenty of xtian soilders go to war for their countries and kill without feeling its "evil" - so its really how any one preson can manage to rationalize it to suit their own mind and desires...

M

You make some excellent points.

The only *witchy* traits I think may have doomed me if I was born back in the dark ages would be the birthmark on my left arm, and the fact that I am left handed.

I don't know that I have any 'witchy' traits. I do tend to have hair that boofs when I wash it, and I can do the thousand yard stare lol.

Eyes may not have much relevance to you, but I put a great deal of stock in the look from someones eyes. Mentally ill people have a different type of intensity to their eyes, a wild intensity, not a controlled one.

Also, if one can not be a christian and a witch, what about Hoodoo? Surely christian spirituality would count as christian.

Morning hehe...

Right, First off.. what makes you think I dont take a great deal of stock in someone's eyes too?

As far as my comment goes, my point was that I don't think it is relevant to whether one is a witch or not. We are talking here about what would have been used to condemn someone as a witch back in the day.. I can almost hear the chatter' 'Oh I knew she was witch, could see it in her eyes' I remember once, seeing in the paper about a murder.. there was a picture of a man...and someone I was with, saw the photo of this guy with quite intense looking eyes.. and said 'he looks like one, look at his eyes!' well the photo was of the victim not the murderer..

Yes a witch may or may not have some intense shit going on their eyes, but so do many people...

There are (as you know) varying degrees of mental ill health, and In my experience, Someone mentally ill can be incredibly focused.. don’t mean they are a witch though.

As far as ‘Christian’ and ‘witch’..I am of course talking about established Christianity. To be a xtian means you acknowledge that you needed a savior, that you are sinful and need baptism, that you follow the old and new testaments.

Remember too that Jesus of Nazareth didn’t use the name Christians to describe his followers, nor indeed did his followers use that label to describe themselves.. This was a label that was given to this sect by Pagans, and it stuck.

A witch can use and work with anything.. A witch can go to church, pray, read the bible and so on.. but a witch is a witch and will never limit him or herself to a title that is about, becoming a slave who needs saving.

I appologize if I upset your dinner.... :happy:

Don’t worry..I didn't have any :dry:

• Upvote 1

Guest Magdalena

Yes a witch may or may not have some intense shit going on their eyes, but so do many people...

I agree with this, I was even thinking it yesterday while reading through the post''s.

The many other people are a very large number. the same can be said about other traits also, but as I know many people with intense eyes in my everyday life that are not "Witches" I don't know anyone in my circle of family and friends (not including cyber friends) that have a birth mark.

From the day I was born my birth mark has not changed in anyway, I don't believe it's the mark of a Witch, but I do believe it is a mark of something brought from a past life. But hey, that's a whole other topic.

As for birthmarks, I have a heart-shaped birthmark on my right hip that fades in and out of view from time to time. Very small (about the size of my thumb pad), pink, more of a discoloration of the skin than the raised, brown, bumpy birthmarks I've noticed on other people. :)

Twinsies!!! I have a heart shaped pale birthmark too only on my right calf.^_^

I'm another with that killer stare, to the point I don't look at people when they talk to me, because it freaks them out. I sneak up on people as well, but I was taught to walk very softly, so that could be why. I also tend to have better luck than most, but I know what that's due to(thank you ancestors!!).

I have a third nipple and a very persistent wart on my finger that nothing will remove. Only the one!

Morning hehe...

Right, First off.. what makes you think I dont take a great deal of stock in someone's eyes too?

As far as my comment goes, my point was that I don't think it is relevant to whether one is a witch or not. We are talking here about what would have been used to condemn someone as a witch back in the day.. I can almost hear the chatter' 'Oh I knew she was witch, could see it in her eyes' I remember once, seeing in the paper about a murder.. there was a picture of a man...and someone I was with, saw the photo of this guy with quite intense looking eyes.. and said 'he looks like one, look at his eyes!' well the photo was of the victim not the murderer..

There are (as you know) varying degrees of mental ill health, and In my experience, Someone mentally ill can be incredibly focused.. don’t mean they are a witch though.

As far as ‘Christian’ and ‘witch’..I am of course talking about established Christianity. To be a xtian means you acknowledge that you needed a savior, that you are sinful and need baptism, that you follow the old and new testaments.

Remember too that Jesus of Nazareth didn’t use the name Christians to describe his followers, nor indeed did his followers use that label to describe themselves.. This was a label that was given to this sect by Pagans, and it stuck.

A witch can use and work with anything.. A witch can go to church, pray, read the bible and so on.. but a witch is a witch and will never limit him or herself to a title that is about, becoming a slave who needs saving.

Don’t worry..I didn't have any :dry:

Well, I think a witch's stare as a trait from back in the day is relevant as many cultures believe that the "Evil Eye" is the mark of the witch. This one I would think is the most accurate seeing as the marks on ones body, be it scars, moles or birthmarks which are all considered the devils mark, can be on the body for a variety of different reasons. Where as, you can feel the essence of someone by their stare, feeling if they are giving you the Evil Eye.

Some mentally ill people do have intense stuff going on in their eyes and there are a variety of different mental illnesses, and some people you wouldn't even know were mentally ill. I have had conversations with two people that have been diagnosed with paranoid schizophenia, lived with someone diagnosed as manic depressive with borderline personality disorder, and spoken to people with mental retardation. I have also lived with and met many witches both blood and not. There is a differenced between the intensity in the eyes of a witch (one with the gift, not a "learned witch") and those of the public not gifted...mentally ill or otherwise.

I'm not going to argue the christan witch thing as we have many threads that cover this topic on here. All I will say is you can't follow their dogma (truthfully) and be a practising witch, that much I agree, but you can adhere to their spirituality as it is not the same thing.

Well, I think a witch's stare as a trait from back in the day is relevant as many cultures believe that the "Evil Eye" is the mark of the witch. This one I would think is the most accurate seeing as the marks on ones body, be it scars, moles or birthmarks which are all considered the devils mark, can be on the body for a variety of different reasons. Where as, you can feel the essence of someone by their stare, feeling if they are giving you the Evil Eye.

Some mentally ill people do have intense stuff going on in their eyes and there are a variety of different mental illnesses, and some people you wouldn't even know were mentally ill. I have had conversations with two people that have been diagnosed with paranoid schizophenia, lived with someone diagnosed as manic depressive with borderline personality disorder, and spoken to people with mental retardation. I have also lived with and met many witches both blood and not. There is a differenced between the intensity in the eyes of a witch (one with the gift, not a "learned witch") and those of the public not gifted...mentally ill or otherwise.

I'm not going to argue the christan witch thing as we have many threads that cover this topic on here. All I will say is you can't follow their dogma (truthfully) and be a practising witch, that much I agree, but you can adhere to their spirituality as it is not the same thing.

I think your missing my point just a tad.... Also think your making some big persumptions...

• Upvote 1

Guest Magdalena

(IMO) "The Evil Eye, The Death Look, The Intense Frightening stare" is only affective as the vulnerability of the person it is being directed at. if the receiver believes in the strength and power of those eyes then they will fear them and they will effect them.

Me being me, I would just flip them off, walk away and not give it a second thought, those eyes will not affect me because I can in my own belief and will, overcome them.

The hypnotist is very clever but cannot hypnotise everyone, it all comes down to the receivers willingness to succumb. (IMO)

I was underthe impression that the Evil Eye had nothing to do with eyes themselves, but was a term implying that one had been cursed by a wtich - not becuase the witch "looked" at him but becuase one FIGURATIVELY became under the notice of the witch ( one looks at someone when one notices someone) and the witch then did a spell/hex, etc. Like the term "being crossed" doesn't actually refer to a specific "cross" but more being hexed by the crosser. I think we may be taking "evil Eye" too literaly. And I do often think much in the craft is taken too literally. One might feel energy or power from another's eyes, but that doesn't mean it is literally the eye that sends it - a blind person can still be a witch.

M

• Upvote 3

I actually have many birthmarks. The other day someone in the metaphysical shop said my daughter was a fairy and that she loved fairy magic. Someone else has said that of her in the past. She has the most beautiful piercing blue eyes. Mine used to be that color too but are green now like my mothers.

From the day I was born my birth mark has not changed in anyway, I don't believe it's the mark of a Witch, but I do believe it is a mark of something brought from a past life. But hey, that's a whole other topic.
This is interesting that you say this, as I have wondered pretty much the same about my birthmark on my left forearm. It is light in color but looks like the shape of a kiss or lips on my arm. I think some of our marks could very well possibly be something that came from a previous life existence.

Guest Magdalena

This is interesting that you say this, as I have wondered pretty much the same about my birthmark on my left forearm. It is light in color but looks like the shape of a kiss or lips on my arm. I think some of our marks could very well possibly be something that came from a previous life existence.

I've wondered about it for long long time. I may find some reading on regression and see if there is any mention of birthmarks and such.

I have a birthmark on my ass, does that count???? LOL

Other then that, yes it's in the eyes, a psychic told me that the other day, so it must be true! :)

Guest Frea Danu

Recently I have found myself thinking about the traits that people back in the day would consider "witchy", such as birthmarks, third nipples, fingers a little too long and boney, etc. And wondering how these things became trademarks of the typical witch.

But, my question is, does anyone here have any witch-like traits? (I know I have a few) Could there be a glimmer of truth behind the old accusations?

I believe these "traits" came about in the Witch Hunt days (and perhaps some continue in countries that today still persecute Witches)..... they were labeled "witches" if they had any different or odd traits that would make them stand out. It was fear mongering!

If I want to look witchy I do. If I don't want to look witchy I don't. It's all about what I feel like on a certain day or situation, I'm a master at changing my appearance.

I have a birthmark on my ass, but not many people have ever seen that!! kat.gif

My eyes are intense, a physic once told me she knew I had the "power" the minute she looked into my eyes. Had a doctor jump back and almost fall when he first looked into my eyes with his light -(not quite sure what that was about)

As for the average person on the street, that intensity just says BITCH!

So, I suppose it's all relative.

I scared my girlfriend when I released my wild nature, she was genuinely scared of hat she saw in my eyes.

Also I've got 2 brown marks, one below each nipple, like if some of my ancestors had 4.

They are symmetrically placed and each mark is 4inches below the actual nipple. I recently read in "The Roots of witchcraft by Michael Harrison,1975" that Diana was sometimes represented as the Goddess with multiple breasts. And that is way before the Middle Age.

Other than that I haven't found any particular witchy traits except for the fact that things go my way most of the time, I can sneak up on people (even though I'm 6'4", I've scared quite a few and a granny almost had a heart attack in the street, when I went past her), and I have long fingers.

I am also an expert at being unnoticed and adapting to whatever environment I find myself in.

Other witchy traits that will become more pronounced are my aura as I have only recently started opening myself to the energies and to the flow of magick.

My boyfriend told me the other day "it's so obvious that you are a witch with your long, boney fingers" lol However that is the only "witchy" trait that I have. :P

Guest Rowan

Nothing witchy about me....I cuss alot....does that count? :censored:

LOL Okay, I've got that trait, too! The rest, not so much. I don't think there's anything witchy-looking about me.

I am covered in moles, as well as a birthmark, and have strawberry blonde hair and green eyes...as do a gazillion other people, witch and nonwitch. Big whoop. Personally, I think all that counts for shit. Proof is in the pudding, not marked on ya'. I'm pretty sure if they wanted to burn me alive/hang me etc. back then-mole or not -wouldn't have stopped them. If you had a pet, it was your familiar, if the milk curdled-a witch looked at, if you had a strange looking broom in your posession or doll-must be your a witch! etc...People back then were governed by ignorance and fear of the unknown, still seen today in many places.

• Upvote 1

I am covered in moles, as well as a birthmark, and have strawberry blonde hair and green eyes...as do a gazillion other people, witch and nonwitch. Big whoop. Personally, I think all that counts for shit. Proof is in the pudding, not marked on ya'. I'm pretty sure if they wanted to burn me alive/hang me etc. back then-mole or not -wouldn't have stopped them. If you had a pet, it was your familiar, if the milk curdled-a witch looked at, if you had a strange looking broom in your posession or doll-must be your a witch! etc...People back then were governed by ignorance and fear of the unknown, still seen today in many places.

I know this is slightly off-topic, but technically fits under Witchy Traits, so here goes. I actually do curdle milk, cause bread to mold, and bananas to rot. No joke. It's kind of a running joke in the family. I have a strong aversion to left-overs as a result. I cannot keep containers of food, because regardless of the temperature of the fridge or the type of container, things just spoil very quickly around me. Doesn't happen to anyone else that I am aware of in my circle of family and friends. Always been the strangest thing. (Oh, no! I am a stereotype.) Any comments on the Witchiness of it?

Jevne

Every "witch" has thier markers, whether obvious, or not. I beleive my traits are marked by the black' freckles" in one of my green/hazel eyes.Any "trait" no matter what it "is" can be recognized by another witch. :beerchug:

I know this is slightly off-topic, but technically fits under Witchy Traits, so here goes. I actually do curdle milk, cause bread to mold, and bananas to rot. No joke. It's kind of a running joke in the family. I have a strong aversion to left-overs as a result. I cannot keep containers of food, because regardless of the temperature of the fridge or the type of container, things just spoil very quickly around me. Doesn't happen to anyone else that I am aware of in my circle of family and friends. Always been the strangest thing. (Oh, no! I am a stereotype.) Any comments on the Witchiness of it?

Jevne

Very cool indeed!! And definetely has nothing to do with stereotypes,in todays modern enlightened (so to speak)world. I would consider that to be a true witchy trait, more than I would a mole or wart on a persons nose today. As we all know, these natural occurances during the 14th or so century(milk curdling etc.. because maybe their were no refrigerators?)were one of many excuses to lynch someone, during the witch hunts. But I'm just saying, even though someone may have "the mark of a witch" on them-doesn't necesarily make them one. Look at the witch hunts-nearly 100,000 killed, but, were they all witches? History tells us no, they were not. Now I am curious Jevne! And have a ton of questions which are definetely off topic, but I will sneak one in-how about plants? Do they grow better? Not at all? Jeez, I could go on and on,-sorry :red_witch:

In the old days I would have been drowned at birth. Right under my left breast is a little bump. Had it from birth. My mother paid no attention to it. Then when I was 7 years old a big dog jumped on me and left a very large tear down my chest and left rib cage, it ran right through the little bump. My mother took me to get stiches and when the doctor was fixing me up, he noted the small bump and my mother said "it has been there since birth" and the doctor replied "it has been there since before birth, it is a 3rd nipple" My mother had a moment of concerne and then the doctor told her that it wouldnt grow into anything more than it was (no third breast lol) and that was the end of it. Never thought about again really, until I saw this thread.

I believe these "traits" came about in the Witch Hunt days (and perhaps some continue in countries that today still persecute Witches)..... they were labeled "witches" if they had any different or odd traits that would make them stand out. It was fear mongering!

Sign in to follow this