- - - - -

Witchy Traits

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_Frea Danu_*

Guest_Frea Danu_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:17 PM

Recently I have found myself thinking about the traits that people back in the day would consider "witchy", such as birthmarks, third nipples, fingers a little too long and boney, etc. And wondering how these things became trademarks of the typical witch.
But, my question is, does anyone here have any witch-like traits? (I know I have a few) Could there be a glimmer of truth behind the old accusations?

I believe these "traits" came about in the Witch Hunt days (and perhaps some continue in countries that today still persecute Witches)..... they were labeled "witches" if they had any different or odd traits that would make them stand out. It was fear mongering!

#42 Brigid

Brigid

Beyond The Bullshit...........yeah, even yours.......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:37 PM

If I want to look witchy I do. If I don't want to look witchy I don't. It's all about what I feel like on a certain day or situation, I'm a master at changing my appearance.

I have a birthmark on my ass, but not many people have ever seen that!! Posted Image

My eyes are intense, a physic once told me she knew I had the "power" the minute she looked into my eyes. Had a doctor jump back and almost fall when he first looked into my eyes with his light -(not quite sure what that was about)

As for the average person on the street, that intensity just says BITCH!

So, I suppose it's all relative.

Ritualistic behaviour, though well-intentioned, possesses no significance or effectiveness unless its external prescription is matched by a personal, internal motivation of will and desire.

#43 Crazengraht

Crazengraht

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 01:35 AM

I scared my girlfriend when I released my wild nature, she was genuinely scared of hat she saw in my eyes.
Also I've got 2 brown marks, one below each nipple, like if some of my ancestors had 4.
They are symmetrically placed and each mark is 4inches below the actual nipple. I recently read in "The Roots of witchcraft by Michael Harrison,1975" that Diana was sometimes represented as the Goddess with multiple breasts. And that is way before the Middle Age.
Other than that I haven't found any particular witchy traits except for the fact that things go my way most of the time, I can sneak up on people (even though I'm 6'4", I've scared quite a few and a granny almost had a heart attack in the street, when I went past her), and I have long fingers.
I am also an expert at being unnoticed and adapting to whatever environment I find myself in.

Other witchy traits that will become more pronounced are my aura as I have only recently started opening myself to the energies and to the flow of magick.

One is me, Two is ideal,
Three I fade, Four is either (2x2 or 3+1)
From five I lead, In the Shadow more often than not...
Don't Dream it, Be it!

#44 Brambles

Brambles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 09:53 AM

My boyfriend told me the other day "it's so obvious that you are a witch with your long, boney fingers" lol However that is the only "witchy" trait that I have. :P

“Pay heed to the tales of old wives.
It may well be that they alone keep in memory
what it was once needful for the wise to know.”
~ J.R.R. Tolkien.

#45 Guest_Rowan_*

Guest_Rowan_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:29 AM

Nothing witchy about me....I cuss alot....does that count? :censored:

LOL Okay, I've got that trait, too! The rest, not so much. I don't think there's anything witchy-looking about me.

#46 The Old Crone

The Old Crone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:42 AM

I am covered in moles, as well as a birthmark, and have strawberry blonde hair and green eyes...as do a gazillion other people, witch and nonwitch. Big whoop. Personally, I think all that counts for shit. Proof is in the pudding, not marked on ya'. I'm pretty sure if they wanted to burn me alive/hang me etc. back then-mole or not -wouldn't have stopped them. If you had a pet, it was your familiar, if the milk curdled-a witch looked at, if you had a strange looking broom in your posession or doll-must be your a witch! etc...People back then were governed by ignorance and fear of the unknown, still seen today in many places.

#47 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:35 AM

I am covered in moles, as well as a birthmark, and have strawberry blonde hair and green eyes...as do a gazillion other people, witch and nonwitch. Big whoop. Personally, I think all that counts for shit. Proof is in the pudding, not marked on ya'. I'm pretty sure if they wanted to burn me alive/hang me etc. back then-mole or not -wouldn't have stopped them. If you had a pet, it was your familiar, if the milk curdled-a witch looked at, if you had a strange looking broom in your posession or doll-must be your a witch! etc...People back then were governed by ignorance and fear of the unknown, still seen today in many places.

I know this is slightly off-topic, but technically fits under Witchy Traits, so here goes. I actually do curdle milk, cause bread to mold, and bananas to rot. No joke. It's kind of a running joke in the family. I have a strong aversion to left-overs as a result. I cannot keep containers of food, because regardless of the temperature of the fridge or the type of container, things just spoil very quickly around me. Doesn't happen to anyone else that I am aware of in my circle of family and friends. Always been the strangest thing. (Oh, no! I am a stereotype.) Any comments on the Witchiness of it?

Jevne

#48 Willau

Willau

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:03 AM

Every "witch" has thier markers, whether obvious, or not. I beleive my traits are marked by the black' freckles" in one of my green/hazel eyes.Any "trait" no matter what it "is" can be recognized by another witch. :beerchug:

#49 The Old Crone

The Old Crone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:22 AM

I know this is slightly off-topic, but technically fits under Witchy Traits, so here goes. I actually do curdle milk, cause bread to mold, and bananas to rot. No joke. It's kind of a running joke in the family. I have a strong aversion to left-overs as a result. I cannot keep containers of food, because regardless of the temperature of the fridge or the type of container, things just spoil very quickly around me. Doesn't happen to anyone else that I am aware of in my circle of family and friends. Always been the strangest thing. (Oh, no! I am a stereotype.) Any comments on the Witchiness of it?

Jevne

Very cool indeed!! And definetely has nothing to do with stereotypes,in todays modern enlightened (so to speak)world. I would consider that to be a true witchy trait, more than I would a mole or wart on a persons nose today. As we all know, these natural occurances during the 14th or so century(milk curdling etc.. because maybe their were no refrigerators?)were one of many excuses to lynch someone, during the witch hunts. But I'm just saying, even though someone may have "the mark of a witch" on them-doesn't necesarily make them one. Look at the witch hunts-nearly 100,000 killed, but, were they all witches? History tells us no, they were not. Now I am curious Jevne! And have a ton of questions which are definetely off topic, but I will sneak one in-how about plants? Do they grow better? Not at all? Jeez, I could go on and on,-sorry :red_witch:

#50 Scarlette

Scarlette

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:13 AM

In the old days I would have been drowned at birth. Right under my left breast is a little bump. Had it from birth. My mother paid no attention to it. Then when I was 7 years old a big dog jumped on me and left a very large tear down my chest and left rib cage, it ran right through the little bump. My mother took me to get stiches and when the doctor was fixing me up, he noted the small bump and my mother said "it has been there since birth" and the doctor replied "it has been there since before birth, it is a 3rd nipple" My mother had a moment of concerne and then the doctor told her that it wouldnt grow into anything more than it was (no third breast lol) and that was the end of it. Never thought about again really, until I saw this thread.

I believe these "traits" came about in the Witch Hunt days (and perhaps some continue in countries that today still persecute Witches)..... they were labeled "witches" if they had any different or odd traits that would make them stand out. It was fear mongering!

Do what I want, that is the whole of my law!

#51 Scarlette

Scarlette

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:18 AM

We must be twins LoL I have had people ask me not to look at them, they say my penatrating gaze creeps them out, like I am looking through them. My first husbands mother absolutely hated my guts. In out late teens he was not allowed to borrow her car if he was coming to see me. Then years later, at the birth of our first child, she showed up and commented that my son had the same "scarey" eyes that I had. She stayed for a week and during that time we talked (probably first time ever really. I asked her why she had hated me so much in the beginning and she said that she didn't hate me, I just made her extremely nervous and there was something about my very dark eyes that set her on edge. LoL nothing has changed.

If I want to look witchy I do. If I don't want to look witchy I don't. It's all about what I feel like on a certain day or situation, I'm a master at changing my appearance.

I have a birthmark on my ass, but not many people have ever seen that!! Posted Image

My eyes are intense, a physic once told me she knew I had the "power" the minute she looked into my eyes. Had a doctor jump back and almost fall when he first looked into my eyes with his light -(not quite sure what that was about)

As for the average person on the street, that intensity just says BITCH!

So, I suppose it's all relative.

Do what I want, that is the whole of my law!

#52 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:24 PM

Now I am curious Jevne! And have a ton of questions which are definetely off topic, but I will sneak one in-how about plants? Do they grow better? Not at all? Jeez, I could go on and on,-sorry :red_witch:

LOL! You are the first person to ever say that my "rotting" personality is Cool. Living plants and I do not really get along in one-on-one, close situations. I have plants in the house, but I now pay my sons to take care of them, because if I give them any attention, they tend to get all brown and yucky. I love them, don't get me wrong, and I've tried. I can easily identify weeds, flowers, and trees out in nature and spend a lot of time outside, but no garden or yard tending for me, not if I want more than a big pile of brown dirt. Makes you wonder if someone else back in the day had similar experiences, which caused he/she to be deemed a Witch. Somehow the idea caught on, and well, here we are . . .

#53 magentarose

magentarose

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:32 AM

My eyes change colours. Some days they are bright green, other days bright blue and every once in a while they turn a turquoise colour. On stormy days when I'm feeling a bit down, they turn a blueish grey colour.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world...those who want things to happen, those that make things happen, and those who just wonder what the hell happened!

#54 Nineheart

Nineheart

The Wish Card

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:53 AM

I had a birthmark under my ribcage on the right side, but it's faded and isn't visible any more.

Also my hair tends to change colour (not like a chameleon!); my hair is a dark chocolate colour but will either have blonde or ginger highlights and sometimes a mix, but they change whenever I wash my hair. I usually have a noticeable strip of blonde in my hair on the front-left that people sometimes think is dyed.

The Wish Card, May Dreams Come True.

#55 nicalee

nicalee

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:59 AM

I have the intense "mom" eyes. I can make people either get very nervous or actually walk away from me with a look. When I was young people would stop me and comment on my eyes. They also change color if I am doing magic of any sort or channeling energy. That is in addition to what may be considered a third nipple, a pink mole on the "milk line" on my left side.

#56 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,053 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

I have no witchy traits, lol, but I am a gardener :-D

M

#57 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:39 AM

I have a large birthmark just behind my temple it's covered by my hair but is easily found if your looking for it, I remember as a child my mom saying it was my witches mark. My eyes also change color from very dark brown to a very vibrant green that people tend to stare at . My husband noticed right away that my eyes reflected my mood and would check the color when we got together to see if I was happy or not lol. I have perfected the 20 yard stare which I use when people annoy me I just quietly stare at them until they go away.

#58 Wytchywoman

Wytchywoman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

Every "witch" has thier markers, whether obvious, or not. I beleive my traits are marked by the black' freckles" in one of my green/hazel eyes.Any "trait" no matter what it "is" can be recognized by another witch. :beerchug:

Good points. Like the birth mark on my forearm actually looks like a pair of lips as if I've been kissed by something, or in this case, it would look like I was kissed by Lucille Ball. ;)

Smile! It makes people wonder what you're up to..

#59 CatBones

CatBones

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:43 AM

While I believe anything could be a "witch trait" if you're really looking for one, I do have a couple small brownish moles which could be considered "witch marks."

Two of them I've had since I was little. One mole is located on my forehead where some believe the "third eye" is located. The second is on my arm. I have a few different moles on my arms but this one stands out because it is the same shape as the state where I was born. I find this more amusing than anything.

There is a third one which draws my attention, and this one I actually place a little bit of meaning into. This mole is located on the ringfinger of my left had and it showed up only about five or so years ago. I've been a practitioner of witchcraft for many years now but I didn't start down the path of Traditional Witchcraft until about five or so years ago. Not long after that I noticed the new mole forming on my finger.

I know it's most likely nothing, but it is an interesting coincidence that at the same time all this was going on I was researching witch trials and such, and was looking into the various "witch marks" witch-hunters would look for. One being a small mole or scar on the finger.

If anything, it's an interesting conversational piece. :wink:

Edited by CatBones, 21 February 2013 - 03:47 AM.

~ CatBones ~

#60 BirdieMcCloud

BirdieMcCloud

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:43 AM

I have a maple-leaf shaped birthmark between my breasts, does that count? ;p It used to weird me out because it was such a clear and distinct shape. It's gotten much lighter since I hit puberty, so I generally forget that it's there.

I think I may have a similar 'talent', Jevne - I can't keep plants alive at all. I don't have the high-rot rate, but I can't seem to keep any sort of plant alive. :( The best successes I have had are cactus-type plants that dry up and can go without water for a while...and even those I manage to kill dead either through underwatering or OVERwatering.

My extended family seems to think I have some sort of 'sight' that can help or hinder their fortunes - not sure what they're basing that on, since frankly I'm crap at divination.

I've had other witches identify me but I'm not sure how - apparently I give myself away when I talk or do things. It's kind of irritating because I don't know what my 'tell' is, and I never have any luck identifying anyone else unless they've introduced themselves as a witch first.

I like tea - that's apparently a common witchy trait. :P