138 replies to this topic

#1 barefoot tabby

barefoot tabby

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:31 AM

Recently I have found myself thinking about the traits that people back in the day would consider "witchy", such as birthmarks, third nipples, fingers a little too long and boney, etc. And wondering how these things became trademarks of the typical witch.
But, my question is, does anyone here have any witch-like traits? (I know I have a few) Could there be a glimmer of truth behind the old accusations?

dreamscaper...

#2 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:39 AM

I have a birth mark, quite a bit above my left knee, it's very pale brown, about 2 inches long and 1 inch wide. I also have long fingers, was always told as a youngster I have "Piano fingers"

Anita.

#3 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:44 AM

The only witchy type trait I have is the long bony fingers and intense eyes. I've been told by quite a few I have "witch eyes". Hubby though, has the third nipple or "witch's teet" as do all men in his family.

#4 barefoot tabby

barefoot tabby

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:52 AM

The only witchy type trait I have is the long bony fingers and intense eyes. I've been told by quite a few I have "witch eyes". Hubby though, has the third nipple or "witch's teet" as do all men in his family.

Yep, those witch eyes. There is this terrifying (so I'm told) stare that my great grandmother, my mother's cousin, and I can do whenever someone does us an injustice, or just gets in our way. A few people have suggested that i'm growling at them with my eyes.
I also have a tendancy to sneek up on people, without effort. They like to say that I float. My mother's boyfriend is very close to having a heart attack. :rolleyes_witch:

dreamscaper...

#5 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:11 AM

Yep, those witch eyes. There is this terrifying (so I'm told) stare that my great grandmother, my mother's cousin, and I can do whenever someone does us an injustice, or just gets in our way. A few people have suggested that i'm growling at them with my eyes.
I also have a tendancy to sneek up on people, without effort. They like to say that I float. My mother's boyfriend is very close to having a heart attack. :rolleyes_witch:

Yeah there is another thread on here that talks about the stare that most of us have. Some call it the mom look but I think it is different than that. Only a select few that I have come across have eyes that freak me out due to their intensity. My mother just happens to be one of them..lol. I freak out my sister alot when I get excited. She says that I jump out at her from my eyes. One time, we did a candle excerise and she and her friend stared at my eyes in the dark with only the light of one candle and she says she will never do it again because of what she saw. Her friend freaked at the same time and they shared identical stories. I didn't do anything but "release" but it freaked them out really bad. Oh well.

The only other person whose eyes freak me out besides my mother I guess would be my husband. When he wants to he "jumps" at you through his eyes, just like my sister said I do, and that is very scary. Its rare for him to do that though as he is aware of it and keeps it restrained most of the time. Has anyone else experienced this?

#6 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,053 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:21 AM

I do not know if there is any truth to the whole "birthmark" etc., suspicions or not, but I do wonder if they could in some way relate to the lore of the Mark of Cain.

M

#7 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:41 AM

My birthmark is very clear to see, but it doesn't seem to pick up in photographs, I've checked my leg pics and it's not visible, it's on the same leg as my tattoo, which is in the picture gallery. Strange that.

#8 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:55 AM

If you look long and hard enough, you will find "something". What was deemed Witchy at the time was whatever they happened to find on the accused. Anything out of the ordinary would have been fair game.

I have a birthmark, but so do a lot of people, even muggles. I have been told that I do not look like a witch; good, because that means they will never see it coming.

#9 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 12:34 PM

Just the eyes, they scare people quite a bit, and I've got that killer glare; I get asked if I'm wearing contacts lol

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning."  - Cormac McCarthy

#10 Gramayr

Gramayr

'Mysterio'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:30 PM

Not thought about this until now.
I've got a third nipple (no plate, just the nipple) but it's hard to see under my fur (the other half was shocked when I pointed it out once as she'd not noticed it before lol)
She also says I've got my mothers look (her words), been called evil by others (notably on building sites when others go too far in winding me up) and once made someone cry. Can only do it when someone pisses me off and it's usually enough for them to get the message and leave me alone. One memorable occasion I encountered someone who used to bully me when I was little, one glare and he literally crapped himself and nearly got knocked down running across the road to get away from me - I had a huge grin the rest of the day, it felt good lol.

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." - Albert Einstein

#11 Absinthe

Absinthe

Inquisitor's Bane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:16 PM

Some colleagues used to think I could appear in a room out of thin air just because I was quiet despite an office full of creaky floorboards. One particular colleague used to annoy me so I'd stand behind him until he noticed me just to give him a fright. He once asked me to wear my bangles so they'd rattle and he'd hear me coming. I think he almost wet his pants one day when he thought he was alone in the room and I tapped him on the shoulder.

When I was a child I had particularly long, thick (and usually dishevelled) hair. My mother used to say I had witch hair - although she alternated between calling me a witch and a bitch.

Nosce te ipsum, et sapere aude

#12 Lexi

Lexi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 04:48 PM

According to my friends in high school, I had a habit of disappearing and reappearing, and they would all jump when I 'reappeared' again. Not exactly sure how I did that, and I still do that from time to time. Might have to do with walking heel-toe out of habit, wearing dark colors, and being generally shorter than most of my friends. I also, according to them, had an unusual 'luck streak', in the sense that things would usually go my way, and the fact that I've never had much bad happen to me. I blame the latter on my ability to read people, though. If they let off bad vibes, I kept my distance.

As for birthmarks, I have a heart-shaped birthmark on my right hip that fades in and out of view from time to time. Very small (about the size of my thumb pad), pink, more of a discoloration of the skin than the raised, brown, bumpy birthmarks I've noticed on other people. :)

Edited by Ilexys Morighanan, 20 July 2011 - 04:53 PM.

Lexi [Ilexys Morighannan]

“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.”
- Roald Dahl

#13 Pye

Pye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:28 PM

As far as I'm aware I don't have any obvious witch like traits that I'm aware of. If you come to my home then you might come across random stuff collected, wood, stones and the like (could mean I'm a botanist, or biologist perhaps or just like natural remedies)? It's not intentional, I have limited storage,
There are no cauldrons, and I hate velvet. I have a dog- no cat.Posted Image

I do have a small birthmark.

'The apple cannot be stuck back on the Tree of Knowledge; once we begin to see, we are doomed and challenged to seek the strength to see more, not less.'
Arthur Miller

#14 Honeythorn

Honeythorn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:46 PM

No birthmarks here, but I have been told I have a good stare/eyes ? *shrug*

#15 Oakbuchanan

Oakbuchanan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:05 PM

I could also start going on about how powerful and intense my eyes can be lol but surely that would getting everyone chucking up their dinner no? and tbh I dont think it would have much relevance, Mentally ill people have intense eyes too...

I do however have a mark on my body that would have been enough to get me fucked over by Mr cunt for brains Hopkins....

I dont think though that the visible mark means shit though in some ways.. it just means I have a distinguishing mark on my skin like many other people...It just so happens that I practice witchcraft as well.. So in that case Mr Hopkins would have been correct and would have earned his coppers that day...

But.... To give that too much relevance just adds fuel to the insanity of those times and in a way further validates Hopkins methods and proves them right...

Sure he would have been right with me... but I'm just the one in a thousand who never did anything resembling witchcraft, and yet had their lives ripped so violently from them in the name of Jesus the fucking Christ..

So now when I think of people calling themselves Christian witches (other than a transition) I wanna rip their stupid fucking heads off... The two labels are not compatible... EVER!

Feel my blood stating to boil so I gonna stop.

#16 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:20 PM

There's really nothing about me that a non-witch could recognize. My red mark faded years ago so as an adult I probably would have been safe had I lived during those times..
"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#17 Blyss

Blyss

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:00 PM

Nothing witchy about me....I cuss alot....does that count? :censored:
Even in tragedy, there is a certain kind of beauty, a certain kind of magic that exists outside of our pain.

#18 midnightblue

midnightblue

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:14 PM

I can do the scary look, in fact I have really scared people in the past! I only do it when someone really pisses me off but there are a couple of people out there who are shadows of their former selfs after a few choice words and a good stare :pumpkin_rolleyes:

I have a birthmark on my neck, but my mum has a birthmark of a butterfly on her arm which I have always envied. The one on my neck is one both my parents have which is odd, it seems to develop in the teens for some reason.

Husband can do the sneaking thing, he has got into the house and into the living room without me noticing before, scared the fukc out of me! The Boy child and I walk like elephants!

#19 Freki

Freki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:59 PM

In general, I don't think I look very witchy. I mostly look like a rebelling teenager.

My fingers are short and a little pudgy. I generally look sweet and approachable. Although once people actually get to know me, they tell me I'm evil incarnate.

I do have two birthmarks, both are the red skin discoloration type. These kind of birthmarks are fairly common and I don't associate them with being a witch. They were very bright and noticeable when I was young, but have faded as I got older. One is on my forehead, smack between my eyebrows. Now it's faded so much you can only see it when I get upset. The other in on the back of my neck. It's still pretty visible, but also gets brighter when I'm upset.

My hair is probably my most 'witchy' trait. It's down to my butt, moderately thick, dark, and wild. And my husband says I can give an evil glare... probably inherited that from my mother. We both look very pleasant and approachable... but man can our faces change when we're angry. :thatsit:

~ Listen to them, the children of the night. What sweet music they make! ~
Bram Stoker's Dracula

#20 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:03 PM

There is only one term often used about my eyes, and it is usually men saying it!. They are more alluring than frightening, mores the pity !