Photo

traditional witchcraft? or just doing things as you see fit?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 Dracula's son

Dracula's son

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 10:43 PM

Hello my lovely witches :) I am posting this topic because im a bit confused. And I would greatly appreciate your personal opinions on the subject. I am very new here. And new to discovering what's always been within me. So please be patient :) but yes, traditional witchcraft. Does this term mean to follow the old ways? the following of seasons, moon cycles, worshiping a goddess, God, simple spell work, etc. Or is it doing whatever you want. Whatever works for you. Is there any structure? Or is structure not needed? Im only asking because im still learning. Because my mind is still trying to set itself free from how I was raised. Is it a bad thing to want to only do good positive magic? Is it bad to hex Someone? Or Is it really all up to the individual practicing? Or are there any old laws to magic? I would really like to hear from my fellow witches. Thank you for taking the time to read my very first topic :)

#2 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:08 AM

Hello my lovely witches :) I am posting this topic because im a bit confused. And I would greatly appreciate your personal opinions on the subject. I am very new here. And new to discovering what's always been within me. So please be patient :) but yes, traditional witchcraft. Does this term mean to follow the old ways? the following of seasons, moon cycles, worshiping a goddess, God, simple spell work, etc. Or is it doing whatever you want. Whatever works for you. Is there any structure? Or is structure not needed? Im only asking because im still learning. Because my mind is still trying to set itself free from how I was raised. Is it a bad thing to want to only do good positive magic? Is it bad to hex Someone? Or Is it really all up to the individual practicing? Or are there any old laws to magic? I would really like to hear from my fellow witches. Thank you for taking the time to read my very first topic :)

Old Ways? which ones would that be? Norse, Yoruban, British,Cornish, etc? Some people follow a specific path and others follow a more modern approach to it. As far as following the seasons I can only say from my own experience I acknowledge them when I feel they seasons change. Sometimes it is on equinoxes and solstices, but frequently its when I feel the energy shift in the air. That is when I will do a ritual about the seasons. AS far as moon cycles yes and no. If I need to do something I don't worry about what phase the moon is in. However, I do enjoy a good dark moon, and occasionally a full one.

The divine I think this link here will give you the best idea of the multitude of differing ideas about god/dess, etc within the Traditional Witch community.

Curses and hexes are up to you. I perform them when necessary. I mean you fuck with me I'll fuck right back. I do not believe in karma, and do not believe it's "bad" to curse anyone if they deserve it.

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#3 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:26 AM

Hello my lovely witches :) I am posting this topic because im a bit confused. And I would greatly appreciate your personal opinions on the subject. I am very new here. And new to discovering what's always been within me. So please be patient :) but yes, traditional witchcraft.

Does this term mean to follow the old ways? (Which old ways?)
the following of seasons, (Yes, but depends on the Witch)
moon cycles, (Yes, but depends on the Witch),
worshiping a goddess, God, (Depends, but generally no, at least not the way that you think . . . And why did you capitalize god and not goddess? Got some residual dogma hanging in there?)
simple spell work, etc. (Yes, absolutely every fucking chance I get, but once again it depends.)
Or is it doing whatever you want. (Technically, no. There are rules in Witchcraft.)
Whatever works for you. (Technically, yes. But it doesn't work for everyone; only Witches, but that's my opinion.)
Is there any structure? (Depends on the Witch.)
Or is structure not needed? (Not really, depends . . . )

Im only asking because im still learning. Because my mind is still trying to set itself free from how I was raised. (This says a lot. You're talking about yourself and your mind as if they are separate entities.)

Is it a bad thing to want to only do good positive magic? (Good and bad are very subjective. What is bad?)

Is it bad to hex Someone? (Good/bad? What is good? What is bad? Is it good to hex a bad person? Is it bad to hex a good person? How do you know?)

Or Is it really all up to the individual practicing? Or are there any old laws to magic? I would really like to hear from my fellow witches. Thank you for taking the time to read my very first topic :)

Here it is . . . you need to READ the FORUM topics. You need to ask questions as they occur to you in the FORUM THREADS. Just asking general questions, such as is cursing bad, is only going to result in "it depends", because I have absolutely no frame of reference in which to answer. Who, what, when, where, and WHY??????

#4 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:39 AM

Dracula's Son,
What Jevne gave you actually encompasses what most here would feel as a response to your questions. She is blunt and as such gets her message over succinctly ( one of the reasons I lover her) harken to her words.
You are entering into a world of mystery and never-ending learning, for those that stay the distance the rewards are beyond what you may believe right now.
We talked last evening regarding books to read, this is something you should seriously consider to augment your journey through these forums contained within.
FFFF
Elf

#5 Blacksmith

Blacksmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 01:28 AM

In my opinion the term "structure" has no frame of reference in traditional witchcraft in any culture, including cultures like the U.S. where traditional witchcraft may be different for different people. Some find American ways, such as hoodoo or Appalachian folk magic. Some find foreign communities that they find a connection with, while others simply follow their heart. It is always about following your heart and walking a journey. Traditional witchcraft, by whatever culture it grew out of, is about that journey, not about building a structure like an engineer or architect. Some witches connect with certain paths, some are ancient and fragmented, some are living traditions that have evolved through time and cultural changes, some paths are just intuitive and from the heart. I think what is important is if as a witch the person in growing in knowledge, understanding, wisdom and has the skill to use all these things. To me witchcraft is about personal growth and results, to say the least.

I think I know what you mean when you say that you are looking for structure, but the idea of structure is dangerous to growth as a witch. Structure implies restriction and laws that may not understand the connection of things that are not structured as itself. The path flows like a river. It twists and turns, has deep points and shallow points, has points easy to cross and difficult to cross. Within the river there is life that may not be seen at first glance, but stay to look long enough and you will see the fish, the river rats, the birds, etc...Traditional witchcraft is like this, it can be unpredictable and also teaming with life and mysteries yet unknown to you. We never know everything, but if we are still enough, we begin to see more of the nature of the path.

Traditional witchcraft is also cultural. Since we have become more of a global community and have faster access to people and places, the craft evolves, just as we have as mankind. Some paths have more living history, but outside of closely knit cultures, especially tribal, such as in parts of Africa and Latin America, most witchcraft has evolved in some way, even those with a long history that have exchanged with other cultures. In my opinion Wicca has structure, traditional witchcraft has ways regardless of what culture a witch's traditional path may be based on. In modern developed societies we all follow paths that are different at least in some ways from those that started a path. This is because of cultural sharing. Whether someone is in an Afro-Caribbean, Mexican, or Celtic based witchcraft tradition, if you are not originally part of that culture, then there will always be some aspects that we must just follow our intuition and heart about. We can not completely connect because we are often not a part of the culture. There is no way to know the depths of the Celts, because we did not walk the journey with them. There is no way to completely connect with living cultures in witchcraft either. We can however journey into the unknown and become seekers. I have had foreign teachers, but I know that I do not know what it means to be Haitian or Mexican, so there is a part that I cannot ever connect with. However, that doesn't make the journey any less authentic as long as you can think outside the box.

I hope that gives you some of the guidance you are seeking. Throw away the search for structure and walk your journey. There are many good posts here, read them, they will answer many questions, and will create new questions too. Trust your heart, don't be afraid to fail or be wrong, the path is full of mysteries, embrace the mysteries. Even if you take a wrong turn, just knowing that is a sign that you have learned something. You can always change course, but no sailor has ever set out to chase the wind either.

-- Blacksmith

#6 Dracula's son

Dracula's son

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 03:09 AM

Thank you for your input. I can see the error in my questioning. Although I truly didn't mean it to come across that way. I should, and will read more of the forums here. I've read books and have read many differing views on witchcfaft. This site is the first site that I've been to with this much info. And being so new, and also wanting to feel some type of closeness to others like myself, I've gotten a little overwhelmed and turned around in my train of thought. I don't mean to annoy anyone or come off as ignorant. Im just trying to find my way around in the dark right now. But I have a candle, Just gotta light it and find my own way. Meaning, I do have a lot of questions, but I feel I know the answers. I guess im just unsure of myself. Wich is something im working on. Plus, I don't know any witches personally. So in a way I find myself yearning to know some. To make connections with others like myself. But it will all come in time. Its frustrating for us all at some point or another. But that's just how it is. Ill do my best to educate myself. And keep the questions to a minimum. Well, the obvious questions at least. Ill take responsibility and seek out what I can on the forums provided here. Once again, thank you all for your words. And helping see my ignorance. I may be new here, but I learn quick. All of your individual input is respected and appreciated. Sincerely, Casey.

#7 Oakbuchanan

Oakbuchanan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:43 AM

The only comments I can add to the excellent responses already posted.. Is that there is a distinction to be made between an witchcraft tradition and traditional witchcraft...

But to not beat about the bush.. ( and I'm sure many would agree here), When it comes to Traditional witchcraft...You either get it or you don't... Being a Tw however is something imo that cant be taught... Its something you are, not something you do...

Edited by Oakbuchanan, 17 July 2011 - 08:56 AM.

#8 Blyss

Blyss

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:21 PM

Thank you for your input. I can see the error in my questioning. Although I truly didn't mean it to come across that way. I should, and will read more of the forums here.

And being so new, and also wanting to feel some type of closeness to others like myself, I've gotten a little overwhelmed and turned around in my train of thought. I don't mean to annoy anyone or come off as ignorant. Im just trying to find my way around in the dark right now. And keep the questions to a minimum.

Hey Casey!

Don't worry about asking questions....we all do from time to time. It is just important to read first, read, read and read some more, and then do a search on the forum and see if your question is shown there. Most usually, it will be. :) Nothing to be ashamed about or worry over. Also, the book section has excellent reviews on many books that you can check out and learn from. I have to say, Ive been practicing for decades, and I am still learning, growing. I have a friend in a much different path from mine, and I ask him stuff all the time....so.....it's ok. You will find your path, believe me. If you want it bad enough, it can't help but manifest to you. :wickedwitch:

Even in tragedy, there is a certain kind of beauty, a certain kind of magic that exists outside of our pain.

#9 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 01:27 PM

... there is a distinction to be made between a witchcraft tradition and traditional witchcraft...

Really like the way u worded that Oak B. Cannon - I'll have to remember that one... put it down in my book of witchy proverbs :-)

D's Son: Hey - no one cares that you asked a question - questions are fine... it's just that we get a lot of new-comers on here that instantly start off with the exact SAME questions so they've been answered like 8 million times in 8 million different threads and people sometimes get to the point where it's too much bother to cut and past the same answer for the 8 millinth and one time, lol.... Read some of the threads, and then post your questions WITHIN in the threads so there is a reference and other opinions, etc. Also, use the search button (but you have to use words bigger than 3 letters) ... like you could search "traditional witchcrat difference" and see what comes up (u don't need to use the "+" sign). When u use the search make sure you click on FORUMS and not one of the other sections that confines you to searching members names only or something like that lol. Oh - and just to REALLY confuse you - we won't all agree on the same answer!!!! Have fun!!

M

#10 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2011 - 03:07 PM

Really like the way u worded that Oak B. Cannon - I'll have to remember that one... put it down in my book of witchy proverbs :-)

D's Son: Hey - no one cares that you asked a question - questions are fine... it's just that we get a lot of new-comers on here that instantly start off with the exact SAME questions so they've been answered like 8 million times in 8 million different threads and people sometimes get to the point where it's too much bother to cut and past the same answer for the 8 millinth and one time, lol.... Read some of the threads, and then post your questions WITHIN in the threads so there is a reference and other opinions, etc. Also, use the search button (but you have to use words bigger than 3 letters) ... like you could search "traditional witchcrat difference" and see what comes up (u don't need to use the "+" sign). When u use the search make sure you click on FORUMS and not one of the other sections that confines you to searching members names only or something like that lol. Oh - and just to REALLY confuse you - we won't all agree on the same answer!!!! Have fun!!

M

M
If we did all agree on the same answer Jevne would probably go NOVA!
FFFF
Elf

#11 Guest_ZenDraegan_*

Guest_ZenDraegan_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2011 - 03:47 PM

Here it is . . . you need to READ the FORUM topics. You need to ask questions as they occur to you in the FORUM THREADS. Just asking general questions, such as is cursing bad, is only going to result in "it depends", because I have absolutely no frame of reference in which to answer. Who, what, when, where, and WHY??????

ANd this is why we love you so much!!!!!

#12 Guest_ZenDraegan_*

Guest_ZenDraegan_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2011 - 03:49 PM

In my opinion the term "structure" has no frame of reference in traditional witchcraft in any culture, including cultures like the U.S. where traditional witchcraft may be different for different people. Some find American ways, such as hoodoo or Appalachian folk magic. Some find foreign communities that they find a connection with, while others simply follow their heart. It is always about following your heart and walking a journey. Traditional witchcraft, by whatever culture it grew out of, is about that journey, not about building a structure like an engineer or architect. Some witches connect with certain paths, some are ancient and fragmented, some are living traditions that have evolved through time and cultural changes, some paths are just intuitive and from the heart. I think what is important is if as a witch the person in growing in knowledge, understanding, wisdom and has the skill to use all these things. To me witchcraft is about personal growth and results, to say the least.

I think I know what you mean when you say that you are looking for structure, but the idea of structure is dangerous to growth as a witch. Structure implies restriction and laws that may not understand the connection of things that are not structured as itself. The path flows like a river. It twists and turns, has deep points and shallow points, has points easy to cross and difficult to cross. Within the river there is life that may not be seen at first glance, but stay to look long enough and you will see the fish, the river rats, the birds, etc...Traditional witchcraft is like this, it can be unpredictable and also teaming with life and mysteries yet unknown to you. We never know everything, but if we are still enough, we begin to see more of the nature of the path.

Traditional witchcraft is also cultural. Since we have become more of a global community and have faster access to people and places, the craft evolves, just as we have as mankind. Some paths have more living history, but outside of closely knit cultures, especially tribal, such as in parts of Africa and Latin America, most witchcraft has evolved in some way, even those with a long history that have exchanged with other cultures. In my opinion Wicca has structure, traditional witchcraft has ways regardless of what culture a witch's traditional path may be based on. In modern developed societies we all follow paths that are different at least in some ways from those that started a path. This is because of cultural sharing. Whether someone is in an Afro-Caribbean, Mexican, or Celtic based witchcraft tradition, if you are not originally part of that culture, then there will always be some aspects that we must just follow our intuition and heart about. We can not completely connect because we are often not a part of the culture. There is no way to know the depths of the Celts, because we did not walk the journey with them. There is no way to completely connect with living cultures in witchcraft either. We can however journey into the unknown and become seekers. I have had foreign teachers, but I know that I do not know what it means to be Haitian or Mexican, so there is a part that I cannot ever connect with. However, that doesn't make the journey any less authentic as long as you can think outside the box.

I hope that gives you some of the guidance you are seeking. Throw away the search for structure and walk your journey. There are many good posts here, read them, they will answer many questions, and will create new questions too. Trust your heart, don't be afraid to fail or be wrong, the path is full of mysteries, embrace the mysteries. Even if you take a wrong turn, just knowing that is a sign that you have learned something. You can always change course, but no sailor has ever set out to chase the wind either.

-- Blacksmith

BINGO!

#13 Scarlette

Scarlette

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:22 AM

I know this is not a recent post but I figured I have to start somewhere so this looked good.

The term "following the old ways" really depends on what your background is and what you have been taught or learned, and also the particular path that you are drawn down.

Following seasons? Speaking for myself, I pay attention to seasons, but for more practical reasons, not so much for using seasons as a guideline for workings.

Moon Cycles? I find stronger energy during certain cycles but I do not plan around them. What I mean to say is that if I am working on something I dont put it off because the moon is waning and I need it to be waxing. That having been said, if in your own mind and practice, this presents an issue for you, one can always turn things to their benefit. If you are working on attracting prosperity but the moon is waning, simply change your working to banishing your money troubles. If I am finding that I am just not that with it at the time, I may draw from the energies of full moons, but I can find just as much from a dark moon.

I personally do not worship the god/goddess. I grew up with a christian back ground with is a monotheistic religion. Even at an early age I saw problems in their doctrine. Example: The christian god said "worship no other gods before me". Well to me that implied that there are more than one and that caused me to become rather henotheistic (worshipping one god while accepting the existance of others). That did not sit well with the church so I had to make my own discoveries.

Simple spell work? I find nothing simple about my spell work, vague intent can go all kinds of directions, learned that the hard way early on. I don't care what color my candle is, and I don't need a shopping list to do spell work, but I do take the time to make sure my intention is clear.

Do what I want? Absolutely :)

Structure? I suppose when learning, some structure is good. The word structure to me, makes me think of Dogma and sound doctorine. I am structured to the point that I feel I need to be, not by some set of rules set forth by a coven or leader.

As to working only positive magice, I guess I do not see magic as either good nor bad, my intention however can be either. I believe in duality, balance. Too much "positive" makes me feel very out of balance. I actually probably tend to over induldge the opposite, but I can feel it when things become unbalanced and I will shift what I need to. If harm is what is called for, then harm is what is worked. I do not see causing harm as being neseccarily negative. Some people are well deserving of a good lesson and If I can help out by giving it, well so be it. :)

Is any of this at all helpful? :)

Scarlette

Do what I want, that is the whole of my law!

#14 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:40 AM

Bumping . . .

#15 JuniperBaby

JuniperBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:42 PM

I believe in other threads that I read that traditional witchcraft--at this forum--is not defined as European only. If a witch has Native American blood and is practicing on American soil, would she be expected to sometimes be feeling and acting on urges, that are thought of as Native American, and still be considered "traditional"?
Aliis volat propriis.
She flies with her own wings.

#16 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:08 PM

I believe in other threads that I read that traditional witchcraft--at this forum--is not defined as European only. If a witch has Native American blood and is practicing on American soil, would she be expected to sometimes be feeling and acting on urges, that are thought of as Native American, and still be considered "traditional"?

I guess it depends, I mean how do you know what is considered a native American practice? How did you learn about it? Do you have Native traditions passed down in your family. Supposedly I have a great great great grandmother that was a Cheroke princess, but I don't give it any stock because it is not backed up by my family tree, and I have encountered a number of white people who have the same identical family legend. Although I have no doubt some of the stories are true and will be evidenced by a researched family tree. I took a class from a Lakota Souix medicine man Gerald Center and he really resented family stories like mine because he and his tribe felt it was another way white people tried to justify stealing his culture. Boy was I glad I hadn't mentioned my story! Now of course he could only speak for his tribe as one of their spiritual leaders not all the tribes, but it gave me food for thought.

However, I do live in America, the spirits here are native, I felt my way around for awhile for an appropriate way to honor them that they would appreciate. That has translated into theway I give tribute to the land. It isn't fast work, but learning native names for places, cleaning up trash when I go hiking or camping. When I connect to the otherworld here I don't expect it to conform to the various European otherworlds. My thoughts aren't terribly organized on this issue. But I think it comes down to what the natives want. Their traditions are mystery traditions not revealed traditions. Where as religions like Christianity take all comers, other ethnic traditions are more closed, Orthodox Jews don't try to get converts from the masses, neither do Native Americans, or Romany. Some doors are closed, but that doesn't mean the spirits won't find other ways to work with me. Natives would be insulted and is illegal for non natives to possess and wear Eagle feathers for example. I won't get my self a headdress or a native dance costume, but I do listen to Native Wisdom and consider how I relate to the land with those voices in mind.

"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#17 Heks

Heks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:42 PM

I guess it depends, I mean how do you know what is considered a native American practice? How did you learn about it? Do you have Native traditions passed down in your family. Supposedly I have a great great great grandmother that was a Cheroke princess, but I don't give it any stock because it is not backed up by my family tree, and I have encountered a number of white people who have the same identical family legend. Although I have no doubt some of the stories are true and will be evidenced by a researched family tree. I took a class from a Lakota Souix medicine man Gerald Center and he really resented family stories like mine because he and his tribe felt it was another way white people tried to justify stealing his culture. Boy was I glad I hadn't mentioned my story! Now of course he could only speak for his tribe as one of their spiritual leaders not all the tribes, but it gave me food for thought.

However, I do live in America, the spirits here are native, I felt my way around for awhile for an appropriate way to honor them that they would appreciate. That has translated into theway I give tribute to the land. It isn't fast work, but learning native names for places, cleaning up trash when I go hiking or camping. When I connect to the otherworld here I don't expect it to conform to the various European otherworlds. My thoughts aren't terribly organized on this issue. But I think it comes down to what the natives want. Their traditions are mystery traditions not revealed traditions. Where as religions like Christianity take all comers, other ethnic traditions are more closed, Orthodox Jews don't try to get converts from the masses, neither do Native Americans, or Romany. Some doors are closed, but that doesn't mean the spirits won't find other ways to work with me. Natives would be insulted and is illegal for non natives to possess and wear Eagle feathers for example. I won't get my self a headdress or a native dance costume, but I do listen to Native Wisdom and consider how I relate to the land with those voices in mind.

Dear Sarasuperid,

I often listen to Native American songs, and they make me dream of flying in the air, like a bird. My Native American horoscope sign is Raven, actually, and I love to watch the raven-dance; as the dancer moves around, one gets confused and sees only a bird there, not the human any more!

KInd regards,

Heks :flyaway:

"One's own house, though small, is better,
For there thou art the master.
It makes a man's heart bleed to ask
for a midday meal at the house of another."

(35 Havamal, Edda)

#18 JuniperBaby

JuniperBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:08 AM

Hmmm...well...I guess we cannot know for certain ANYTHING is true that our parents have taught us. I have never doubted my lineage, just the particulars of it. I thought my grandmother was considered not white enough to be accepted by my grandfather's family, but...even that could be made up, right?

I always thought the princess nonsense was because my great-grandmother was embarrassed about her lineage, so told that to my mom. My grandmothers were born and raised in Canada and moved here when my grandmother was a teen. Or so I'm told.

You have given me pause to doubt every single thing my mother ever said to me. When talking to me, she has always twisted things to make herself feel better in some way. There are just things I absorbed as a child and have not yet taken the time to question. I NEVER questioned my genetics. Maybe I should.

As for respecting the living Native Americans, I make a very conscious effort to respect them in every way, but some things they do, are not exclusively theirs. I believe they retained some ways and ideas that were probably common in Europe in the past. The fact that they were abandoned by other groups, doesn't give a modern group exclusive rights to them. Ideas of respect and gratitude for all forms of nature cannot be owned by a modern group of people. It especially cannot be commanded to be ignored by anyone, even those that cannot believe their parent's word about their lineage. Wearing the feathers of an endangered bird or using the symbols, dances and clothing styles and even certain phrases is inappropriate for me to do, and I have never even considered or wanted to. But respect and gratitude, those I give myself full permission to feel, with or without knowing if my mother is a liar.

Edited by JuniperBaby, 13 November 2011 - 12:08 AM.

Aliis volat propriis.
She flies with her own wings.

#19 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:57 AM

The world has changed; the craft must change with it unless it is going to be restricted to specific geographical locations.

M

Edited by Michele, 07 September 2015 - 03:23 PM.

#20 brea

brea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:10 PM

I once read somewhere that the craft, although energy is from and in the earth, is a land based craft. Land as in the land one is standing on. One might be French and love French things and be very French in their home, but they would still respect American ways when outside, becuase they are on American soil. It's polite. I live in American and I have developed a repoire with the land-spirits here in my direct area. I connect and draw up energy here, becuase here is where I am. And I respect and appreciate the spirits and energy I work with here. But all of my ancestors with the exception of my father (who died here) are burried in English soil. I have gathered items from the land of England - wood, leaves, rocks, flowers, etc., and I use these things heavily in my ancestor work to "invoke the Homeland" and never forget who I am or where I am from and to where my spirit (due to my affiliations) will return. I do not view this as disrespectful to the land spirits I work with here any more than my eating pizza is disresepctful to an American cook. It would be disrespectful if I ignored and/or treated badly the land I live and walk on here. But I don't. The world hase changed. We no longer are born, live, and die in the same village. Much of divinity mythology represents this - especially Christianity which as someone else pointed out "takes all commers" no matter their ancestry. I also believe that when I stand on the beach, that ocean lapping at my feet stretches for miles and miles and miles and at some point touches the English shore. As such some of my "traditional craft" has an ecclectic bent to it - but even the nomads or the seafarers of old carried a piece of their home with them, a godstone, a branch or root, something that will always return them ultimately home. The world has changed; the craft must change with it unless it is going to be restricted to specific geographical locations.

M

Do you really think that the spirits recognize boundaries or do you think it's more of a cultural thing?

In the early stages of our planets evolution, the land was one big mass. There are parts of the Appalachian Mts. that run through Morocco and the British Isles. And we still can't say for sure where Native Americans came from.

I think that land spirits adapt to whoever is working with them, if they so choose. Personally, I haven't had any problems as long as I'm not too demanding :).

A few years back I was told by a group of British Witches that I could not possibly practice any form of British Craft because I don't live in Britian. That is one of the biggest reasons why I feel this way.

Brea