• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#61 Willau

Willau

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:43 AM

Thanks, Autumn Moon. Good point about the Elder, although I would never use a "green" limb for a tool. Things are better aged like fine wine. ;)

River Willow, may work well, or...maybe even a bone if the hunting goes well? :howl-moon: 

#62 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:20 AM

You're welcome Willau.

#63 oldbefana

oldbefana

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:54 PM

I do have a witches ladder made from hagstones. The more I find the longer it gets lol

Could you share how you made your sitches ladder, I am fascinated and would like to try my hand at it but cannot find a good resource for the practical how to...many thanks in advance.  old befana

MARTA-GUNGUNA.JPG

Uno no puede tapar el cielo con solo un dedo.

#64 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:35 PM

Very easy to make they are hag stones that I find,tied in string/hemp /leathers strips,whatever you feel you like. Knot then a gap another knot then another stone knot again another gap knot again etc.

#65 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:03 AM

Hello Old Befana, :smile:

I'm not sure but if you have access to the Gallery yet, there may be a picture of one in there for your viewing.  Aurora is right, they are super easy to make, some can be quite beautiful when imagination and creativity comes together.

Our Havilland aka Schnaakess... has a beautiful one you can look at here : http://www.tradition...er-for-a-friend

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#66 oldbefana

oldbefana

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:24 PM

Very easy to make they are hag stones that I find,tied in string/hemp /leathers strips,whatever you feel you like. Knot then a gap another knot then another stone knot again another gap knot again etc.

Thank you so much!

MARTA-GUNGUNA.JPG

Uno no puede tapar el cielo con solo un dedo.

#67 foxman

foxman

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:09 AM

Firebird, if you go to my website - its on my details -somewhere, you can read about  a student who has written about Hoodoo and actually gives chapter and verse of which are the best books to read on the subject. We have different names over here in England but essentially its the same thing. I love cross-roads they're so witchy, don't you think? Especially since Hecate is the Goddess associated with Cross-Roads, though I think what She would prefer is a country road or track rather than an interstate-highway crossing Route 66 or some other large Arterial Road. I used to walk through a cemetry as a short cut once but when I misjudged where I was walking once and fell into an open grave for the following morning - I never did it again! I ruined a good suit trying to climb out of a six foot muddy hole! :) foxman

#68 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:15 AM

Firebird, if you go to my website - its on my details -somewhere, you can read about  a student who has written about Hoodoo and actually gives chapter and verse of which are the best books to read on the subject. We have different names over here in England but essentially its the same thing. . . .

Are you saying that in England, there are practices similar to those employed by Hoodoo practitioners, just with slightly different names?  We have plenty of folks from England, posting on the Forum, and that is the first time that I have heard anyone say specifically that England has different names for the same practices. 

I suppose the differences are just embedded in those folk's responses to the various corresponding threads, as opposed to making a distinction that they are speaking about their own country.  Frankly, I sometimes forgot that people are posting from all over the world, because people rarely feel the need to point out where they are.  Technology certainly makes the world smaller.

#69 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:42 AM

Re: witches ladder, some members may find this to be of interest:  http://england.prm.o...chs-ladder.html

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#70 LdyShalott

LdyShalott

NecRomancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:19 PM

Re: witches ladder, some members may find this to be of interest:  http://england.prm.o...chs-ladder.html

Thanks Aurelian... :thumbsup:

Most witches don’t believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.  T.P.

In order to understand the living.. you have to commune with the dead..
You are a tiny little soul carrying around a corpse.-- Epictetus
All experience is an arch wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move.

#71 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:37 PM

Than you,interesting. I have also made them like this but didn't realize the reasoning.I happen to have a few cocks around and was bored although interestinly the purpose of the knots and their demise in the rain is similar.

#72 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:41 AM

Than you,interesting. I have also made them like this but didn't realize the reasoning.I happen to have a few cocks around and was bored although interestinly the purpose of the knots and their demise in the rain is similar.

I didn't really know anything bout witches' ladders at all, and had been making them with crow feathers and belladonna berries and the like, so it's nice to see a bit of backup on things you've already done.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#73 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:07 AM

I am curious for those just starting a path (or those of you who can remember what you were up to back then :tongue:), was protection the first thing on your mind when you began practicing the craft?

I believe protection is extremely important, but as a crafting concept I felt it was boring and I preferred (and still prefer) to occupy myself with other more fun and interesting things.

Even though it's not something I did (or do), if I had to give advice to someone on how to start their path I would still probably place a heavy emphasis on protection.

Did you practice protection first? Do you think it should always come first? In your opinion, should a Witch's first spells be concerned with keeping themselves safe and warding off danger?

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#74 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:48 AM

Protection is quite important, but as for recommending it as a singular effort, no.  One has to be able to manipulate energy to some extent for the protections to work!  I would have them do the very basic energy exercises, become very confident in their uses therein.  Secondly, I would have them do a VERY thorough house cleaning and sealing, because it is folly to try to ward yourself from threat when it's already living with you!

At that point, I'd start them on basic little magics, like building and maintaining a prosperity altar, basic charms, candle magic, or whatever else have you.  Whichever method of working employed, such as circle casting, or the compass round, or something else: the protections are built in!  The earth isn't going to swallow a new person up, or rain down fire and brimstone just because most beginners are a bit clumsy!  The important thing is to actually do the work, practice magic, and build a solid foundation from which to work.  Protections from nasty sources should become to be second nature, in my opinion.   

So, to reiterate, whilst protections are important, they are not at all vital to master prior to building skill in other aspects of our craft.

Hope that helps!

#75 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:27 AM

I am curious for those just starting a path (or those of you who can remember what you were up to back then :tongue:), was protection the first thing on your mind when you began practicing the craft?

I believe protection is extremely important, but as a crafting concept I felt it was boring and I preferred (and still prefer) to occupy myself with other more fun and interesting things.

Even though it's not something I did (or do), if I had to give advice to someone on how to start their path I would still probably place a heavy emphasis on protection.

Did you practice protection first? Do you think it should always come first? In your opinion, should a Witch's first spells be concerned with keeping themselves safe and warding off danger?

To be honest, no I didn't practice protection first.  I was a vengeful, angry,  little monster when I first started actual craft on my own and attacked my "enemies" as my first "spells". Whatever enemies a 12 year old can have anyway...  My mind was really that of a child and it just didn't occur to me to protect myself other than hiding under the covers.   A year later and in to my middle teens, I lived with a family of witches and I began heavy study and practice. While it was a concern of mine, I didn't really focus on it like I do now and I was pretty vulnerable and scared of everything otherworldly, especially of spirits. Of course, there were protections up in the house from the parental witches that kept the really bad shit out but it wasn't full proof so I was constantly surrounded by spirits and scared out of mind.

One thing I did do though, that I would recommend, was practice disciplining my mind.  I have an affinity for knowing people and their intentions even when they wish to lie about it. It was to the point I thought certain other people did as well and thought my "mind" was in some way readable to them, especially to one person. I discovered that keeping a song on loop in my head and thinking behind it in images and concepts was very helpful against this one person's intrusions. It allowed me to hide my true feelings so I could plan and I was able to get away from an awful situation

This, along with other mind work, was among the stuff I was first taught.  I would also start with this were I helping someone new.  You have to learn to use your mind and abilities before you can attack or protect. Personal shields were a natural development after this.

As my mind matured and the older I got, I realized I can do much more than what I could as a teen and then I realized that others could too and beings are attracted to that. So now, protections are very important to me. Its like the more experience I get its as if I live in a very nice shiny house and keep adding shiny new furniture and valuables.  Protections are my security system. Robbers are the negative spirits and beings of the other world. The robbers are now attracted to my house because it catches their eye. Were I living in the shitty old apartment with crappy furniture, the robbers might try something if they were bored or desperate but other than that they wanted the shiny house, not the dull shitty one.

One has to work on their own power to be able to manipulate energy.  The more one can do that, the more they become a target to malicious beings. But also, the more one can do that, the more they can protect themselves. Some people can still be a target even if they are new and inexperienced.  They may have simply been born in a shiny house or come across desperate or bored robbers or they may have been born in the robbers lair. I hope that makes sense. This doesn't really take in to account human attacks, but I believe we pick those up randomly or earn those through our interactions with people. 

#76 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:43 PM

Thank you Aurelian and Whiterose, wonderful food for thought :)

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#77 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:56 PM

Protection when starting is important but not the 'focus' for sure, more of an important side note IMO.  I say this mainly because at one point (I've posted about it somewhere) I went so far overboard with protection that I ended up creating blockages that were impeding my abilities.  Again, just my opinion from my experience.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#78 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:16 PM

I didn't work on protection first. At one time I did get into it, then it became "protection from what and why would this "what" be looking for little old me, anyway" lol... IN the end I just use rather "mundane" common-sense protection - at times of the year when the dark is nearer I put up some protections related to things known to come with the dark. If something is a stranger (just like in mundane-life) I don't invite it into my house willy nilly or run off with it or believe everything it says until I know it better or unless someone I trust has vouched for it's integrity.  

In mundane life when I leave my house for work I lock my doors (mostly to keep petty theives and mischif makers out because a die-hard thief who wants something I have will find a way in). I don't have iron doors and vaults for my caravan, so I don't have them in "non-mundane" life, either, as I haven't found them necessary (depending on the risks one decides to take and what one decides to get involved with). In real life I don't walk alone down back alleys at night looking for trouble, I don't barge in to places I might not be welcome and demand hospitality, friendship and acceptance. When in the homes/locations/dwellings of others I respect their rules and try to not offend (and all land has others on it besides us humans - humans need to remember we are constantly walking through the "homes" of others and act accordingly and with respect). I don't invite strangers into my house, I don't tell the world my life-story, and if I am doing something questionable I don't do it in public or blab about it. Same thing with non-mundane protection. I just use common-sense and try to be polite, lol.

....I happen to have a few cocks around and was bored ....     :thinking:    lol lol lol

M

Edited by Michele, 15 February 2014 - 02:22 PM.

#79 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:44 PM

I like what Michele has to say, especially the parts about common sense, doing what is necessary, and not acting like a blundering idiot, barging in and messing where not welcome or needed.  In general, if you are a newbie (meaning lacking in significant knowledge, skill, or power), you have little to worry about from people or entities that happen to possess those abilities . . . Hate to break it to you, but to such beings most folks are nothing but shit stains on their panties; not worth the time. 

#80 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:14 PM

Unless you're a douchebag and really piss people off.

Edited by RoseRed, 15 February 2014 - 04:14 PM.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.