79 replies to this topic

#41 Nabu

Nabu

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:45 AM

Yes Michele it is the same as has been termed Goblin's Cross . Now the Goblin's eyes is a new term to me would you mind giving some info on it , if it's not asking more than you want to reveal . Thanks !!!

Nabu

Strong of Heart wins the Day , let not yourself be dismayed !

#42 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:24 AM

It's a piece of Elder wood with the soft center taken out... so it's like a hagstone, but is of Elder wood not rock. And Elder wood is sometimes Goblin's Wood (it gets these little faces in it sometimes when the wood is worked).

M

#43 Kera

Kera

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

Think of a tiger. Can you see the tiger?

If you are not living in the vicinity of an actual tiger, you can still "see" it.

You just have to pull the image of a tiger up in your mind's eye.

Lots of things one can do with the "mind's eye", starting with visualization.

I see, no pun inteded! LOL Thank you Jevne, that was very helpful. I have been doing these meditation exercises and on of them talks about the minds eye and I was never really clear on what that meant. Now I do! Thanks again, :).

Kera

Why Pamper Life's Complexities When the Leather Runs Smooth On The Passenger Seat -Morrissey

#44 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:21 AM

You are seeing it in your mind instead of with your physical eyes. It can be an image from recalling what you saw with your physical eyes or something you have made up using your imagination (also probably a collection of things you have seen with your eyes in the past). Then the whole psychic thing can come into play as well.

#45 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:26 AM

It's a piece of Elder wood with the soft center taken out... so it's like a hagstone, but is of Elder wood not rock. And Elder wood is sometimes Goblin's Wood (it gets these little faces in it sometimes when the wood is worked).

M

Didn't know it has been called Goblin's Wood - Thanks Michele. I love Elderberry. Made a chime in the form of the Goblin's Cross, or Six Ways out of Elder Wood, with runes carved on the wooden part that catches the wind to swing the chain that hits the chimes.

#46 Hagred

Hagred

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:23 AM

I protect my house and property from etheric energies as well as prowlers, burglars etc not only by locks and bolts but also by putting up a thought form that I recharge with energy every full and dark moon. The thought form can be anything you choose from a heavily armed commando to a dragon, griffin or harpy. Mine are a pair of dragon dogs. I instruct them to be on guard by day and by night, rain or shine and to scare the wits out of anyone wanting to steal, damage, trespass or otherwise be a nuisance. I have aso a pair of Green Man faces on the main entrance as guardians.

The house itself has a number of charms and talismans such as pentagrams, holey stones, magic squares, cristals and mirrors (other than the feng-shui kind).

Personally I use a fire agate or a black tourmaline pendant angainst negative energies or psychic attack, also a lotion I make up and use daily (like an after shave). One certainly builds up personal energy as one matures along the path and some props can be put aside but there's nothing like being doubly sure, especailly when a breeze-up is suspected.

I love the term "blasting", new one on me, though I have heard of a blackthorn blasting rod, which I assume its use is for cursing (correct me if I'm wrong). I suppose I blast away negativity when giving an aural cleansing or smudging a property lol.

#47 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:48 AM

I find it interesting, Hagred, That you would so freely offer up the details of your protections, especially in a highly public venue. Surely, If you believe these protections to be powerful, you also recognize that there are others that have just as much if not more power than they or you do. I might tell others that I have a lock on the door, but I would stop short of handing them the key.

#48 Lynn

Lynn

I've been InBetween

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:03 AM

Didn't know it has been called Goblin's Wood - Thanks Michele. I love Elderberry. Made a chime in the form of the Goblin's Cross, or Six Ways out of Elder Wood, with runes carved on the wooden part that catches the wind to swing the chain that hits the chimes.

So are we talking wood of the Elderberry bush, like the kind one finds alongside stream with the classic elderberry berry, or is this referring to another species that grows in Britain?

'When in danger, when in doubt, Run in circles, scream and shout" Robert Heinlein.
"Women and cats will do as they please, men and dogs need to relax and get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein

"In Wildness is the preservation of the World." Henry David Thoreau

#49 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:34 AM

Believe it or not, Lynn, this is one of the plants where the common name is actually common! There's even speculation that Sambucus nigra and Sambucus canadensis are in fact one & the same Species!

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#50 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:07 PM

Lynn - yes the elderberry tree-like bush, not to be confused with Alder, the tree. There are several species. I know them as distinct species. Sambucus nigra (found in Britain and Canada, USA), Sambucus racemosa (Canada, USA) and Sambucus Canadensis (Canada, USA).

I use the red berried Elder (Sambucus racemosa). Too cold here in winter for nigra to survive well, and believe it or not the species canadensis does not do well in the province where I live.

Mountain Witch, I have not heard about this.

#51 Lynn

Lynn

I've been InBetween

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:00 PM

Believe it or not, Lynn, this is one of the plants where the common name is actually common! There's even speculation that Sambucus nigra and Sambucus canadensis are in fact one & the same Species!

Geeeez, no wonder it gets confusing! lol. I was just thinking when I go to harvest berries this year, maybe I ought to pick up some of the wood too.

'When in danger, when in doubt, Run in circles, scream and shout" Robert Heinlein.
"Women and cats will do as they please, men and dogs need to relax and get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein

#52 Lynn

Lynn

I've been InBetween

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:01 PM

Lynn - yes the elderberry tree-like bush, not to be confused with Alder, the tree. There are several species. I know them as distinct species. Sambucus nigra (found in Britain and Canada, USA), Sambucus racemosa (Canada, USA) and Sambucus Canadensis (Canada, USA).

I use the red berried Elder (Sambucus racemosa). Too cold here in winter for nigra to survive well, and believe it or not the species canadensis does not do well in the province where I live.

Mountain Witch, I have not heard about this.

Thanks Autumn Moon! I'm very interested now in creating a wind chime with the wood.

#53 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:08 PM

AM, S. nigra and S. canadensis are, from what I've read, nearly impossible to tell apart (can't speak from experience). Some experts keep them separate, some use nigra for everything with purple berries rather than red. I remember reading something, somewhere, that said the DNA is the same, too. We have purple-berried Elder growing wild here in Georgia and no one, I mean no one will identify them by one Species or the other. It's all "Elder".

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#54 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:16 AM

AM, S. nigra and S. canadensis are, from what I've read, nearly impossible to tell apart (can't speak from experience). Some experts keep them separate, some use nigra for everything with purple berries rather than red. I remember reading something, somewhere, that said the DNA is the same, too. We have purple-berried Elder growing wild here in Georgia and no one, I mean no one will identify them by one Species or the other. It's all "Elder".

I agree Mountain Witch, most just call it Elder. I have grown all three species of Sambucus, and nigra and canadensis are quite distinct in appearance from one another. My nigra had real difficulty surviving the winter here. canadensis did not do too well either. racemosa did very well. I planted a couple of racemosa's last year after we moved, and they are really growing well this year :)

#55 Theneva

Theneva

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:42 PM

Cheers, thx for that Az. I'll get it figured out one of these days!

Simple... your are making energy which extends itself to your body, ie body heat due to intense thoughts, natural if you ask me, a physical response to mental manipulation... blood pressure goes up a tad so you feel hotter than you would normally. I don't think it is your house warding that is warming, just you yourself. Could that be it? ;)

It is hard to fight an enemy who has outposts in your head.

~Sally Kempton

Theneva~ Theneu, Thenu, and Denw. The daughter of a Pictish king.

(I believe this over the xtianized name explanation)

#56 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:05 AM

I don't think it is your house warding that is warming, just you yourself. Could that be it? :wink:

Aurelian?  He is a little "Hottie" :blobfire: , so you might be on to something here. 

#57 seacow

seacow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:24 PM

I find it interesting, Hagred, That you would so freely offer up the details of your protections, especially in a highly public venue. Surely, If you believe these protections to be powerful, you also recognize that there are others that have just as much if not more power than they or you do. I might tell others that I have a lock on the door, but I would stop short of handing them the key.

This is the first thing that came to my mind when I started reading this thread.

--

Protections spells were some of the first I ever started researching. I always felt like as long as I don't absolutely have to be offensive, I'll stick to a good defense. Lately I haven't even felt much need for it. That doesn't mean I don't still do it though, protect. Like I wouldn't leave my door unlocked either.

#58 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:34 PM

I don't know - his post doesn't really seem that in-depth.  The dragon dogs are for actual people attempting to harm or steal.  Most of us have or use crystals, talismans and charms around the house. 

I guess some people who come through here could take it as a dare and attempt to break through the defenses but I seriously doubt that that's all there is.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#59 Willau

Willau

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:54 AM

I have really rarely felt a need for "protection", although everything about my home & surroundings could be interpretted as such.

Now, as for Fire Dragons, I've never heard of them. Before I moved, I had my Fire Dogs. They protected the entrance from the fire place. Here's a pic if it works:

100_0167.jpg

I do miss my fireplace & left the dogs to protect the house. :wink:

As for the Elder... I'm extremely excited. My hubs just got permission from a friend at work to hunt on his property that backs up to a river & has Elder & River Willow, all along the river edge. I do want to try & do the wind-chimes, as well as maybe making a flute out of a hallowed branch. Both awesome for the element of air/wind.

As far as the Witches Foot, this is new to me. I actually had to "google" it. Am I right that it is basically a peace sybol? If so.... wow! I never included the peace symbol (something that I was "all-about" back in the day, to the craft.... never even "thunk" of it...lol.

Edited by Willau, 21 September 2013 - 01:43 PM.

#60 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:39 PM

Have Fun, but beware with the elder flutes.

The Peace symbol was originally designed in the1950s as the logo for the British Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament. Later it was adopted more widely by anti-war activists.

Elder flutes that are still green have a poison in them - cyanide glycosides. Some children have been poisoned by them.

A link to making flutes http://urbanorganica...rry-flutes.html