79 replies to this topic

#21 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:34 AM

I love that! I too put up a protective shield when a situation arises and I feel the need. I visualize a pinkish/purplish bubble around myself

Scarlet

Hello, Scarlet;

Does the color of the bubble have any significance to you? For example, does pinkish/purplish have a different meaning for you than say bluish/green in terms of protection?

Just curious . . . :)

Jevne

#22 Scarlet

Scarlet

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:37 AM

Hello, Scarlet;

Does the color of the bubble have any significance to you? For example, does pinkish/purplish have a different meaning for you than say bluish/green in terms of protection?

Just curious . . . :)

Jevne

Hi Jevne,

No there is no special significance for me other than that is what my mind's eye sees when I conjure up the energy to create the sphere. The few times I've experimented with a magick circle, the color tends to be darker - more of a purplish/blue. I have not yet worked on creating a compass, but that is next on my list. I'm not sure that I "get" the magick circle - for protection purposes, I feel more comfortable in my sphere. For getting in the witchy frame of mind, I feel more comfortable taking quiet moments for self-reflection which builds up the intent needed for the task at hand. Maybe the colors have a subconscious meaning that I've yet to discover.

Scarlet

#23 Heks

Heks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:26 PM

I understand what you are saying here. I feel the need to magically blast places, such as my home or car, occasionally. It is not necessarily before sleeping, but just when I get the urge.

Dear Michele & Jevne,
Dear Everyone,

Posted Image

I am reading these posts and my mind runs away with the term "blast" and now I am wondering about the power of one's breath; Is there a magical element to blowing onto something? Posted Image

I blew on my new R/W tarot deck when I got it! Pure instinct! Posted Image

Is the lifeforce of a person (am midway through "The Way of Wyrd") thus encapsulated in their breath? Posted Image

Now, if "blast" had nothing to do with "breath" then just ignore my ramblings! Posted Image

Kind regards,

Heks Posted Image

"One's own house, though small, is better,
For there thou art the master.
It makes a man's heart bleed to ask
for a midday meal at the house of another."

(35 Havamal, Edda)

#24 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:09 AM

When I blast I don't do it with breath (I don't think I could get a bi enouh breathful to blast it through the house, lol), but I will somethines clean things by blowing on them and I find that quite effective.

Re pretections, I'm actually thinkin of taking some of mine down. I will still blast or clean nightly to get rid of anything residual - even a stressful day - but even since I had the neg problem I have had up a ton of protections and I do think one can over-protect. Just like in life if one has too many "walls" up one can keep out the good as well as the bad. In the work I have been doing over the last year I have found that parts of me are very "contracted" and frozen and it has taken quite a lot to get them flowing and equalize and regulate my energy flow, and I think one of the physical manifestations of that is me having up so many protective amulets about the house. I do love making amulets and things, so I tend to make a lot, lol.

M

#25 Heks

Heks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:09 AM

When I blast I don't do it with breath (I don't think I could get a bi enouh breathful to blast it through the house, lol), but I will somethines clean things by blowing on them and I find that quite effective. Oh! No breath involved! Is this done by visualisation then, I wonder, without wanting to pry. You are very generous in your explanations so it is not my wish to ask too many questions!

Re pretections, I'm actually thinkin of taking some of mine down. I will still blast or clean nightly to get rid of anything residual - even a stressful day - but even since I had the neg problem I have had up a ton of protections and I do think one can over-protect. Just like in life if one has too many "walls" up one can keep out the good as well as the bad. In the work I have been doing over the last year I have found that parts of me are very "contracted" and frozen and it has taken quite a lot to get them flowing and equalize and regulate my energy flow, and I think one of the physical manifestations of that is me having up so many protective amulets about the house. I do love making amulets and things, so I tend to make a lot, lol. Ah, I see you have too many! I have started to collect flat stones upon which I am planning to engrave protective symbols I saw in the book I got (Crone's book of Charms and Spells)!

M

Thx, M,
Heks Posted Image

(35 Havamal, Edda)

#26 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:04 AM

Thx, M,
Heks Posted Image

Love those Valerie Worth books Heks, I think the engraved stones sound like a great idea.

"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#27 Hannah

Hannah

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:44 AM

I suppose i have "wards" too but i've never really called them by any name. Just items that i've charged at entrance ways to my home. A few being hagstones and other things.

If you'd have asked me 18 months ago, i would've said i surpassed the point of needing specific protection for my home that i had that down and felt quite secure without needing anything more specific, but I have a family and a home that i feel needed additional protection. I moved house a year ago so i think if I ever move again, i would most likely feel the same way. Having "wards" up until i'd bedded in, so to speak.

I don't do anything specifically for myself regularly, although i do have a few amulets that i've used for protection over the last 10 years or so, and if i'm ever going into a nest of vipers, or i'm feeling particularly weak/drained, then i might pop it on. I just listen to my spider senses on that one.

#28 Heks

Heks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:32 PM

Love those Valerie Worth books Heks, I think the engraved stones sound like a great idea.

Thx Sarasuperid!
Yes, this book is amazing and I want to get the other one too!
Kind regs,
Heks Posted Image

(35 Havamal, Edda)

#29 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:36 AM

As a term itself probably comes from castles - a Ward (now called a Bailey) was an enclosed courtyard, surrounded by a ditch and surrounded by walls on a raised mound of earth. Something that can help visualise purpose if you attempt it yourself.

Actually, "ward" is a modern english derivative of Old English (Anglo-Saxon) "weard", or more authentically, Þeard, which meant both "to guard" and "guardian"- both noun and verb. (It's in the epic poem "Beowulf", circa 900CE).
Sorry, it's just that I'm just a bit of an Anglo Saxon geek. I'm on the wrong side of the pond!!
Being that traditional castles, as we know them, began after the Norman invasion of 1060, the word probably predated castle and their structures.

It's also where we get our word "Warden" from. On another note, there's always the "psych ward".. lol I can relate..

http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#30 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:42 AM

When I blast I don't do it with breath (I don't think I could get a bi enouh breathful to blast it through the house, lol), but I will somethines clean things by blowing on them and I find that quite effective.

Re pretections, I'm actually thinkin of taking some of mine down. I will still blast or clean nightly to get rid of anything residual - even a stressful day - but even since I had the neg problem I have had up a ton of protections and I do think one can over-protect. Just like in life if one has too many "walls" up one can keep out the good as well as the bad. In the work I have been doing over the last year I have found that parts of me are very "contracted" and frozen and it has taken quite a lot to get them flowing and equalize and regulate my energy flow, and I think one of the physical manifestations of that is me having up so many protective amulets about the house. I do love making amulets and things, so I tend to make a lot, lol.

M

I found it interesting, during my museum visit, that the ancient Egyptians had an amulet for everything, including protection. But, not just one amulet for general protection. They had all different kinds of amulets, each with its only purpose and corresponding symbolism. The display that really got my attention was the one showing all of the amulets that a mummy had within its wrappings; all kinds of things for all kinds of purposes from head to toe. Apparently, in some cultures the more, the merrier, when it comes to amulets.

#31 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:30 PM

I 'spose this is as good a place to ask as any. Does anyone else's wards concentrate/conserve heat? This is fine during the winter, saves me on heating costs haha. But during the summer it's no bueno. I've been trying to figure out exactly why this happens, so I can tweak my wards a bit. So, anyone else have this happen?

Did you ever figure out what this was all about?

#32 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:59 PM

Perhaps not too much related to this thread, but I have found (as was discussed the other night) that I am suddenly into stockpiling for future use... odd charms and such that I may not have a specific use for right at the moment but that I could in the future and don't want to be stuck waiting for supplies I don't have on-hand to arrive. The charms are for the most part versatile - like one from a horse tail to affect dreams - no more specific than that, but could be invoked specifically into a work when and if needed. I have a wall in my kitchen with all sorts of things hanging from nails in it, ready for use should the use arrive. I have often wondered if this sudden need has been influenced by my ancestor/connection work I did this winter. They lived in a very different time and culture, and most likely would have felt extremely nervous entering the darker season without a stockpile of food (and other things).

Re the dark and light thing - I don't equate dark with bad and light with good in the modern understanding of it, but in another (more ancestral ) sense I do, in that the Folk were rather black and white and had but two seasons, summer and winter. Winter was "darker" because it had much less sunlight hours. And due to culture, winter was very much a time of death - low food availability, freezing, attack by hungry predators (or people)... And death and starvation was not a good thing, and winter (the "dark" half) was a dangerous time. And the gates to the dead were open. Same thing with night (dark) which was a much more dangerous time for them than day (light). So dark became associated with danger, death, hidden, hooded, shades, shadows, etc. And there was no electricity, so dark was fought with "light" (sun, fire, etc., - actual LIGHT which actually illuminated the darkness and thereby kept it at bay). And those associations are still held for me, and still used in relation to magic in how to counteract something, or even create something.

M

#33 Nabu

Nabu

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:47 PM

Have any of you guys/ gals explored the use of Hag Stones , and the use of the " Witch's Foot " ??? I have read that these two are very good for protection . I have small piles of Hag Stones about my porch and inside the house as well . Just curious if others have employed such , as I would like to hear other's responses.

Nabu

Strong of Heart wins the Day , let not yourself be dismayed !

#34 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:49 PM

Have any of you guys/ gals explored the use of Hag Stones , and the use of the " Witch's Foot " ??? I have read that these two are very good for protection . I have small piles of Hag Stones about my porch and inside the house as well . Just curious if others have employed such , as I would like to hear other's responses.

Nabu

Yes many of us (including me) use hagstones. There are a few threads about them. :)

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#35 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:20 PM

If you mean the same witch's foot that is sometimes called the goblin's cross, then yes (different people mean different things by the same name so sometime's it is hard to tell, lol). Although usually for something other than protection. And I do use both hagstones and goblin's eyes, but for sight (which I suppose could be a type of protection, lol, for being warned may well be considered being protected).

M

#36 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:43 PM

For me, both the Stone and the Witches Foot are symbolic tools displayed, not only visual to the mundane eye, but to the Otherworldly Realm as well.

Both symbolic tools have been around for ages and ages, I'm not foolish to believe that the Otherworld, is not acquainted with these symbols and their varied uses.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#37 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:44 PM

I do have a witches ladder made from hagstones. The more I find the longer it gets lol

#38 Davenport

Davenport

Witch Of The Seven Hills

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:30 AM

I have a Witches bottle I put together over a year ago but its time to toss it in the fire. I recently placed some spelled pine cones and dried flower bundles at the entrances and some of the windows.The pine cones are for protection and the wild flowers growing all about the property have been dried and hung with them as a gesture to the other world to come in. I am fairly inviting and I think that has become well known to that side. It can get a bit chaotic in terms of the general energy of the place but I like it just fine.

#39 Kera

Kera

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:17 AM

Hi Jevne,

No there is no special significance for me other than that is what my mind's eye sees when I conjure up the energy to create the sphere. The few times I've experimented with a magick circle, the color tends to be darker - more of a purplish/blue. I have not yet worked on creating a compass, but that is next on my list. I'm not sure that I "get" the magick circle - for protection purposes, I feel more comfortable in my sphere. For getting in the witchy frame of mind, I feel more comfortable taking quiet moments for self-reflection which builds up the intent needed for the task at hand. Maybe the colors have a subconscious meaning that I've yet to discover.

I know this is an old response, but since this thread has been bumped....I have a question for anyone who can answer? The" Minds Eye".....what exactly does that mean? I have confusion on this. Does it mean colors that you see when your eyes are closed and you are meditating, or is it the first colors that you think of? In other words do you actually see these colors?

Kera

Why Pamper Life's Complexities When the Leather Runs Smooth On The Passenger Seat -Morrissey

#40 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:46 AM

I know this is an old response, but since this thread has been bumped....I have a question for anyone who can answer? The" Minds Eye".....what exactly does that mean? I have confusion on this. Does it mean colors that you see when your eyes are closed and you are meditating, or is it the first colors that you think of? In other words do you actually see these colors?

Kera

Think of a tiger. Can you see the tiger?

If you are not living in the vicinity of an actual tiger, you can still "see" it.

You just have to pull the image of a tiger up in your mind's eye.

Lots of things one can do with the "mind's eye", starting with visualization.