• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 firebird

firebird

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:28 PM

Just having a read here and read an interesting post on protection, within the Hoodoo way.

I wanted to discuss this with a wider section of our members. Seems to be that we are a varied bunch in the way we practise our craft and therefore expect an equally varied response.

On a personal note I ground upwards to the light for purification of the negative and dark stuff. The light neutralising these and then replenish energies with positive ones. And then shield myself from further dark negative energies. I also have ritual bathes in herbs for cleansing
.Occasionally when being bothered by dark spirit I will request help from Angelic realms. Although I have now learnt to obtain protection by using ancestral spirit and my spirit guides. Also I am more confident and dominant now.
When going into places frequented by bad and dark spirit/energy, I always take my small vials of "fiery wall of protection oil" , Also a bag filled with various crystals and herbs as well as a black chicken feather. And of course my favourite talisman of the moment a 6 pointed Star. Probably overkill but very effective. And anyone who has been on the receiving end of bad and dark energy/spirit won't want to repeat it.

I occasionally cleanse the house and my working tools and stuff, with a sage smudge stick. As well as sprinkling a herb, bath water concoction outside the doors to prevent entry by wrong doers.

I'm sure there's other things I do. will post them if they come to mind.

:wickedwitch:
FB

#2 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 01:56 AM

I do not subscribe to the dark = bad; light = good philosophy; however, I do appreciate the protection thread topic, as it is such a fundamental element of Craft practice. In fact, various protection chants and spells are some of the first magical workings taught to children; think along the lines of the "Now, I lay me down to sleep" prayer said by christian's children. In additions, Witch parents, as many of you know, deploy protection spells, either reflective or guarding, to prevent harm coming to or impacting their offspring. Of course, this can be extended to the protection of property or valuables, such as the wards and other charms mentioned in other threads.

Strictly in my opinion, once a Witch reaches a certain level of ability and maturity, personal protection spells are really no longer necessary. I mean if you are facing a challenging or otherwise overwhelming situation, you want to deal with that situation, whether physical, emotional, or spiritual, not protect yourself from it. In fact, I would personally utilize both the light and the dark energy existing naturally to manipulate the situation to my liking anyway.

#3 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:16 AM

I think this is a great topic. I understand where firebird is coming from regarding protection from dark spirits. Some people just attract more negative and/ or harrassing things and need something extra to boost their "firewall" when they are feeling vunerable for some reason. I have been there and that is why I keep an item in my purse and in my pocket on somedays. For more of an everyday protection, have an array of jewelry that I switch out depending on what I need for the day. I also, use certain scents and colors the way a rose uses its petals and thorns, to attract somethings and keep others away. I also agree with the fact that once a witch is at certain level of her practice, she/he no longer needs these things as props as certain things become instinctual. That, in itself, is the goal.

#4 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:18 AM

I've actually been working on doing away with a lot of my protections. I realized not long ago that due to things I'd experienced over the years I had put up so many permanent protections, blocks, and deflections that I was actually missing out on a lot.
"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#5 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:32 AM

For personal protection I find the best thing is to keep a strong immune system (magical) and not let it get run down: i.e. keep a good store of energy and if you deplete it, restock it. Then if personal protection is needed but not anticipated (i.e. sudden unforseen situation rather than dealing with a known problem or negativity) you can just blast out around yourself and can also blast out around someone else if needed. For protection of less magnitude (i.e. just daily bullshit from others) I find a strong store of energy usually works fine. My house has many shields, wards and protections for both the magical and mundane realms. I agree that energy is energy, neither positive or negative, but there are many things/entities/people who/that have a negative nature and I think it is prudent to be prepared as best one can rather than wait until an emergency to deal with it (easier said than done, lol). I will usually blast out energy prior to going to sleep simply to clear my house much as I would vacuum to clean the carpet, for just like dirt that gets tracked in off one's shoes, daily stresses and problems (which are energy manifesting in a negative way) and muck also get tracked in so I like to clean it out on a regular basis.

M

#6 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:38 AM

I will usually blast out energy prior to going to sleep simply to clear my house much as I would vacuum to clean the carpet, for just like dirt that gets tracked in off one's shoes, daily stresses and problems (which are energy manifesting in a negative way) and muck also get tracked in so I like to clean it out on a regular basis.

M

I understand what you are saying here. I feel the need to magically blast places, such as my home or car, occasionally. It is not necessarily before sleeping, but just when I get the urge.

#7 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:51 AM

I never really thought about a way to word that before but "blast" would be a good way to discribe it. This describes what I do sometimes as well. I "push" or "blast" away stuff that is bothering me from my chest and it expands like a bomb blast. If gives me the most wonderful rush afterward.

#8 Absinthe

Absinthe

Inquisitor's Bane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 10:23 PM

I tend to open up things (like teddies, dolls, etc) for my grandchildren and nieces & nephews and hide a protection charm inside and sewing it up again before I give to them. I find I use different objects and different words depending on the child. For one child in particular, the protection against nightmares worked wonderfully well.

Nosce te ipsum, et sapere aude

#9 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:16 AM

I tend to open up things (like teddies, dolls, etc) for my grandchildren and nieces & nephews and hide a protection charm inside and sewing it up again before I give to them. I find I use different objects and different words depending on the child. For one child in particular, the protection against nightmares worked wonderfully well.

That is such an awesome idea Absinthe! Glad to hear it worked well.

#10 o_O

o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:14 AM

I've actually been working on doing away with a lot of my protections. I realized not long ago that due to things I'd experienced over the years I had put up so many permanent protections, blocks, and deflections that I was actually missing out on a lot.

I can see that happening. Some times fear and acting on keeping those fears away can lead to so many things in life being missed, magically or not.

you can just blast out around yourself and can also blast out around someone else if needed.

I do this a lot, one of the first things I ever learned to do to keep things that were bothering me away. Can also be manipulated to work if you're an empath and people's emotions are getting to you.

My family does this. My sister was wondering why my niece goes and grabs her unicorn I gave her when "the people"(spirits) show up, so I told my sister about it, as I guess no one shared that tidbit before. I've also been known to put symbols and such on the size tags of clothing I give to children.

#11 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:20 PM

I 'spose this is as good a place to ask as any. Does anyone else's wards concentrate/conserve heat? This is fine during the winter, saves me on heating costs haha. But during the summer it's no bueno. I've been trying to figure out exactly why this happens, so I can tweak my wards a bit. So, anyone else have this happen?
"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#12 Ahrazura

Ahrazura

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:34 PM

I 'spose this is as good a place to ask as any. Does anyone else's wards concentrate/conserve heat? This is fine during the winter, saves me on heating costs haha. But during the summer it's no bueno. I've been trying to figure out exactly why this happens, so I can tweak my wards a bit. So, anyone else have this happen?

Hola Aurelian,
I notice that myself or, I presume, the area around me gets hotter when I call my Wards in close. I have no idea why but you are not alone

Best wishes,
Ahrazura

Edited by Ahrazura, 26 July 2011 - 08:35 PM.

#13 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:18 PM

Hola Aurelian,
I notice that myself or, I presume, the area around me gets hotter when I call my Wards in close. I have no idea why but you are not alone

Best wishes,
Ahrazura

Cheers, thx for that Az. I'll get it figured out one of these days!

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#14 Miko

Miko

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:00 PM

I used to have more specific actions I would take to protect myself but as I became more adept at my particular Craft I realized I could simplify. I did a ritual, a very specific ritual, regarding a way to quickly protect myself. In said ritual I made my intent clear and set up a sort of agreement with the "powers that be" that all I need do to cast quick protection is say two designated words while holding proper intent in my head. Those words are, "Shields Up." (yes, I am a total geek) I also carry certain crystals and herbal sachets and what not on me almost all the time so that helps.
I love the idea of sewing protection into stuffed animals and then giving them to the kiddies, awesome!
And Firebird...I like your song ;)

Edited by Druantia, 17 August 2011 - 06:01 PM.

#15 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:13 AM

Those words are, "Shields Up." (yes, I am a total geek)

And I thought I was the only one who did that! But, I definitely do not use the scenerio where they quickly get weakened after a few strong photon torpedo hits.

#16 magentarose

magentarose

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:31 PM

Im sorry, but what is a Ward? Thanks

There are 3 kinds of people in this world...those who want things to happen, those that make things happen, and those who just wonder what the hell happened!

#17 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:47 PM

A ward is a protective form of magic essentially forming a barrier or a division that is usually used against a specific target, for example sickness. It's a form of defense and protection.

A ward can also be used to deflect unwanted attention, but I've generally found that works best against specific individuals ;)

I'd say it differs from a personal shield in that wards, generally, are more stationary. Yet the terms are largely interchangeable.

As a term itself probably comes from castles - a Ward (now called a Bailey) was an enclosed courtyard, surrounded by a ditch and surrounded by walls on a raised mound of earth. Something that can help visualise purpose if you attempt it yourself.

#18 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:49 PM

Im sorry, but what is a Ward? Thanks

No need to be sorry.

A ward is an object or even just pure energy designed to protect you home/belongings. It could consist of a witch bottle, iron spikes, a statue, rock etc. It is anything that you imbue with intent and power to serve as a protective device. Witches often ward the four corners of their property and also have wards in their home.

Hope that helps a little!

#19 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:51 PM

As a term itself probably comes from castles - a Ward (now called a Bailey) was an enclosed courtyard, surrounded by a ditch and surrounded by walls on a raised mound of earth. Something that can help visualise purpose if you attempt it yourself.

Cool, did not know that...thanks!

#20 Scarlet

Scarlet

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 12:33 AM

"Shields Up." (yes, I am a total geek)

I love that! I too put up a protective shield when a situation arises and I feel the need. I visualize a pinkish/purplish bubble around myself

Scarlet

Scarlet