39 replies to this topic

#1 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 01:47 AM

When I make a familiar/ward/thought-form or whatever anyone calls it/them on their particular path, I often feed it and start to develope a relationship with it prior to awakening it and I wondered if others did this as well or if they follow the more customary road of awakening and then feeding.

I will make the "focus" object and then touch, talk to, feed, interact with, over a period of time (often months) to get a feel for it and if it is to my liking relationship-wise, then I will awaken it (and of course continue to feed it after). I have found this works best for me, personally, as it gives me a basic feel for the item and it's potentional "personality" that will be programmed into it. If it turns out that I am just not relating to the object, then I will take it apart and start another one. The way I do it can be a bit weird becuase if one overdoes it one can actually awaken it "by mistake" (although that is not usual) but for me it has worked well.

How do others do it - do you just get the object and awaken it, or do you "get to know" it first and see if you resonate with the item and then actually awaken it?

M

#2 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 02:48 AM

For me it depends on what the item is. Some of my wards are simple stones in my gardens. Other wards/thought forms/etc are dolls or braided ladders with different objects in it. So some of them I get to know before and feed them before I do any work with them. Other ones I awaken and then feed.
For me it just depends on what the object is, and what it's purpose it going to be for and how I feel it is communicating with me in its "dead" state.

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#3 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:21 PM

I wonder if a self-constructed object instilled with the individual's gifts of "life" and essence has greater impact than found objects or seemingly non-related ones?
Any thoughts?
FFFF
Elf

Edited by Elfyd, 15 July 2011 - 09:23 PM.

#4 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:18 AM

I wonder if a self-constructed object instilled with the individual's gifts of "life" and essence has greater impact than found objects or seemingly non-related ones?
Any thoughts?
FFFF
Elf

I do know that if I fashion a thing to look like what it is created for, then I respond better to the focus (i.e. I'd have a hard time relating to a fuzzy yellow baby chick as a kick-ass house protection). I also know that, for me, if I fashion something - especially if it is to be the focus for a thought form - I have a much more concentrated connection to it whereas if it is a found object I have to build up that focus that would have built up on its own had I spent the time and energy making that thing. If I make it is bound to me in the making, if I find it I have to bind it to me.

M

#5 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:24 AM

If you made an object to be worn embedded with a thought form, and then activated it, wouldn't the wearing of said object continuously feed it as it is in contact with life force energy?

#6 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:37 AM

If you made an object to be worn embedded with a thought form, and then activated it, wouldn't the wearing of said object continuously feed it as it is in contact with life force energy?

Yes and no - it would feed it but you would probably also draw from it. And I like to do my feeding as a specific, focused thing especially as I will feed something with either blood (on ocassion but not always as that is a strong feeding) and also regular food rather than constantly letting it vampyricaly suck my energy. Keeping something with me is a good way to develope and strengthen a bond but I wouldn't want it to get used to constantly feeding off me. Also, I want to be in control of when I feed it - I give it direction, it answers to me, it feeds when I feed it, I'm in charge.

I konw that some people do make jewelry into thought forms, but I find this doesn't really work well for me - I will just use some jewelry to store energy (but I'm really not a big wearer of jewelry) and I also know some people use jewelry with protective charms on it (like amulets) or as a specific talisman. Perhaps if I wore jewelry more, but I just don't relate to it... but I would want to really program into an actual jewelry thought-form when it could or could not feed of off me and my energy.

M

#7 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:56 AM

Yes and no - it would feed it but you would probably also draw from it. And I like to do my feeding as a specific, focused thing especially as I will feed something with either blood (on ocassion but not always as that is a strong feeding) and also regular food rather than constantly letting it vampyricaly suck my energy. Keeping something with me is a good way to develope and strengthen a bond but I wouldn't want it to get used to constantly feeding off me. Also, I want to be in control of when I feed it - I give it direction, it answers to me, it feeds when I feed it, I'm in charge.

M

Alright that makes sense.

#8 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:47 PM

As usual, thanks to Michele for such a thought provoking thread.

I have a few questions about this- when awakening a thought-form isn't it possible to give it birth and then nurture it into adulthood vs. nurturing it and then giving it birth? (I hope my wording here makes sense) I am beginning some work on this and my automatic action has been to address it as if it were already in being and I am "bringing it up" as it were, like one would do with an infant and child. Not as if the thought-form is a child but just small, new, a fledgling.

Re: feeding a thought-form- I have just assumed this to mean speaking with it and feeding it the energy needed for its purpose as well as showing it respect via offering it libations of some sort. Curious as to how others go about this.

I ran to a tower where the church bells chime
I hoped that they would clear my mind
They left a ringing in my ear
But that drum's still beating loud and clear

{Florence + The Machine 'Drumming Song'}

#9 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:51 PM

... when awakening a thought-form isn't it possible to give it birth and then nurture it into adulthood vs. nurturing it and then giving it birth?

Re: feeding a thought-form- I have just assumed this to mean speaking with it and feeding it the energy needed for its purpose as well as showing it respect via offering it libations of some sort. Curious as to how others go about this.

I konw what you mean re the birth thing. I probably don't do it the right way, but I seem to have this inherent relationship-issue, lol, and if I can't get a good feeling and bonding/relationship towards my focus object then it's no use for me to bother to "awaken" it (although I do think it is probably quite possible to start the awakening purely by developing the relationship first).

I do feed mine, and often it is in daily interaction which is like little "maintenance" feedings to me, and I also think the chores she's given feed her - like she seems to LIKE to be useful and her energy feels rather "down" to me when I don't give her things to do, hence I verbally remind her daily of what her daily chores are even though she probably doesn't need remiinding (and she only responds to verbal instructions). And she likes tea (English Breakfast). I also found I have to clean her. That is probably my fault becuase when I programmed her one of her things was to get rid of negativity but I didn't specifically say how, so she might sometimes absorb some of it, I don't know. I just know that if I don't clean her her "feel" gets sluggish. Often feeding and cleaning can be out in the garden - just like for me, lol. Right now she has holly and pine on her "home" so she can help welcome in the "spirit" of Yule into the house for the coming year.

M

#10 brea

brea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:21 AM

When I make a familiar/ward/thought-form or whatever anyone calls it/them on their particular path, I often feed it and start to develope a relationship with it prior to awakening it and I wondered if others did this as well or if they follow the more customary road of awakening and then feeding.

I will make the "focus" object and then touch, talk to, feed, interact with, over a period of time (often months) to get a feel for it and if it is to my liking relationship-wise, then I will awaken it (and of course continue to feed it after). I have found this works best for me, personally, as it gives me a basic feel for the item and it's potentional "personality" that will be programmed into it. If it turns out that I am just not relating to the object, then I will take it apart and start another one. The way I do it can be a bit weird becuase if one overdoes it one can actually awaken it "by mistake" (although that is not usual) but for me it has worked well.

How do others do it - do you just get the object and awaken it, or do you "get to know" it first and see if you resonate with the item and then actually awaken it?

M

This isn't going to be very helpful but I thought I'd respond anyway. I've never created a familiar, at least consciously. They just seem to show up. I take care of them and they take care of me, but they seem to come and go as they please. And they tend to be insects. Bleck. Dragonfly and bees are great but once I had a weird beetle and the spider. My fear of them was overcome but never the creepiness.

Has anyone here ever had or thought about using one of your pets, either alive or one that has past?

I've always thought of a ward as an object of protection. I have cairns built at the corners of my property that contain wards I've made and enchanted. They need to be re-energized from time to time.

I haven't worked with thoughtforms very often. I've created a few for a specific task, gave it what it needed to complete it and an expiration date.

This might sound odd but what you describe here sounds almost like having a baby :).

Brea

#11 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:39 AM

This isn't going to be very helpful but I thought I'd respond anyway. I've never created a familiar, at least consciously. They just seem to show up. I take care of them and they take care of me, but they seem to come and go as they please. And they tend to be insects. Bleck. Dragonfly and bees are great but once I had a weird beetle and the spider. My fear of them was overcome but never the creepiness.

The answer to this really comes down to how one defines 'familiar', because by my definition a 'familiar' is not something that is created, but rather something that appears to aid in the Witch's trek along the magical path, mostly when needed, and sometimes when called for. Lots of birds, bees, spiders, and the occasional wandering feline. They come, we connect, their purpose is fulfilled, and they leave. Sometimes, they "feed" me, but mostly it is a mutual exchange of energy and knowledge. I don't need to feed them, because they aren't really my possessions, and they are usually quite independent. In fact, most of my familiars have expressed disgust at any of my attempts to take ownership or responsibility of them. As you have read, not everyone shares that sentiment regarding the nature of familiars, though.

Has anyone here ever had or thought about using one of your pets, either alive or one that has past?

See explanation above. By my personal definition, a familiar is not a pet; however, I have heard of instances where a beloved pet returned in spiritual form to serve as the individual's familiar.

I've always thought of a ward as an object of protection. I agree. I have cairns built at the corners of my property that contain wards I've made and enchanted. They need to be re-energized from time to time.

I haven't worked with thoughtforms very often. I've created a few for a specific task, gave it what it needed to complete it and an expiration date.

This might sound odd but what you describe here sounds almost like having a baby :).

Brea

Jevne

#12 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:34 PM

I've always thought of a ward as an object of protection. I have cairns built at the corners of my property that contain wards I've made and enchanted. They need to be re-energized from time to time.

Brea

Hey - a ward is something that protects, and a thought form isn't necessarily a ward - it's what you program it to be. Never thought of it as having a baby, lol... but one does have a responsibility to it once one creates it. One has a responsibility for whatever one does magically and if one creates something that is living and has needs, then one is responsible to fulfill those needs or end them. I suppose one could just forget about it and let it slowly die but I think that would be both irresponsible and rather unkind. Mine does have an expiration date but until that time I have a responsibility to what I have made and for what I have done. So in that case I would say yes, if one doesn't want that responisbility one shouldn't make it, so I suppose that could be viewed as haveing a "child" to take care of.

Pets as familiars - I have heard that they can be. I had a pet once that I was very close with in ways I am not with my current pets and after she passed I thought of the familiar thing, but I was too emotionally involved in her passing, and it was not something I trusted myself to be thinking clearly on and so eventually I let her go. She is still near - she has a grave in my backyard, and I often use it in workings for the dead.

To me the familiar can be many things depending on one's definitions and intentions. Some even refer to the fetch/flygja (sp) as a familiar. But for me my old lady is simply a thought-form I created for my home who helps me with things when instructed and watches over the house and the yard. But she is very much a respoonsibility and I think if one is not willing or doesnt have the time to take on the responsibility for what they create then perhaps there would be other avenues than creating thought forms. A thought-form is constantly working until it's programmed end-time. It isn't like a spell that stops once the outcome is achieved. It does need to be tended to. It isn't the same as a cat or dog or pet that you can't leave it alone for two weeks whilst you go on vacation, but I would tell it I was going on vacation and give it specific instructions for while I was gone. If I owned a farm, say, and I'd created a scarcrow who was also a thought form but was programmed for one thing only - keeping vermin away from crops - then my interaction with it would be a lot less than the one I have who has multiple purposes and a much higher "ability" level for multiple tasks.

I also very strongly believe that part of the responsibility of creating a thought form is being able to control it. As such I think one should always place in the awakening a "stop loss" that can iinstantly end the association and dissipate the energy, thereby killing or ending the thoughtform. I have thi programmed into miine and it is something that can be done by a blood relative besides just me in case I were incapacitated, but it could not be done by a stranger, or even a friend or lover, or someone who came across my books and decided to fuck with me or my magic.

M

#13 brea

brea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:25 PM

The answer to this really comes down to how one defines 'familiar', because by my definition a 'familiar' is not something that is created, but rather something that appears to aid in the Witch's trek along the magical path, mostly when needed, and sometimes when called for. Lots of birds, bees, spiders, and the occasional wandering feline. They come, we connect, their purpose is fulfilled, and they leave. Sometimes, they "feed" me, but mostly it is a mutual exchange of energy and knowledge. I don't need to feed them, because they aren't really my possessions, and they are usually quite independent. In fact, most of my familiars have expressed disgust at any of my attempts to take ownership or responsibility of them. As you have read, not everyone shares that sentiment regarding the nature of familiars, though.
Jevne

You describe my thoughts on this better than I :). There do seem to be varying opinions on familiars and I don't think any one is right or wrong. Reading others views helps broadens my own.

Michele, I meant no offense by the baby comment. I think it's a great way to create a thoughtform.

"To me the familiar can be many things depending on one's definitions and intentions. Some even refer to the fetch/flygja (sp) as a familiar. But for me my old lady is simply a thought-form I created for my home who helps me with things when instructed and watches over the house and the yard. But she is very much a respoonsibility and I think if one is not willing or doesnt have the time to take on the responsibility for what they create then perhaps there would be other avenues than creating thought forms."

I've heard of the fetch being referred to as a familiar also but I just don't agree with that at this point in time.

I have a Lady of the house but I didn't create her. She's a Gruguach.

One of the biggest reason's why I don't use thoughtforms often is because I don't want the responsibility. I'd forget to feed it and I'd end up with a runamuck thoughtform :).

One of my mentors told me that a living pet could be your familiar. I never got into any in depth discussion about it because I just can't seem to wrap my brain around this concept. I feel like it is somehow an invasion of privacy.

Brea

#14 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:10 PM

... I just can't seem to wrap my brain around this concept. I feel like it is somehow an invasion of privacy.

Brea

This might be another thread (and not specifically related to you), but re invaion of privacy I've read on another thread or more (can't remember where) people feeling uncomfortable naked around spirits, which is akin to the invasion of privacy. Thing is, I don't think I am ever alone. Alone from humans maybe. Animals don't think twice about nakedness - my old dog would lick what used to be his balls in front of anyone, lol. And I think often spirits don't relate to it either - we have bodies, they don't. Embarassment over nakedness seems to be a specifically human thing and it seems to be trained into us. Babies will lie naked with their legs wide open and not give two hoots. I would not have sex in front of my ancestor alter or I would lie down their pics - not becuase I think they are watching but becuase it would be a gesture of respect as they were of this culture and that is just me. But any spirits or anything else in the house, I always figure if they are bothered by me being naked, or having sex, or going pee, or picking my nose, or any other mundane human activity, they don't have to hang around and watch it, lol. I don't think they have the same cultural hang-ups as we do.

M

#15 Heks

Heks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:21 PM

I would not have sex in front of my ancestor alter or I would lie down their pics - not becuase I think they are watching but becuase it would be a gesture of respect as they were of this culture and that is just me.

M

Dear Michele,
I do the same thing with my Witch figurine, as I love her! She may or may not be just that, a figurine, but she sits next to me in the living room, and has done for years and I am aware of her!
Kind regs,
HeksPosted Image

"One's own house, though small, is better,
For there thou art the master.
It makes a man's heart bleed to ask
for a midday meal at the house of another."

(35 Havamal, Edda)

#16 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

I see familiars, wards, fetches, thought forms, etc as very different things with different paths to their creation and use. The amount and level of responsibility that I would personally take for the long term care and feeding / charging would really be more dependent on whether or not I viewed the item as truly living, as in with its own thought process and will, or merely an extension of my will or representative of some person or aspect of a person. If I say that what happens to a poppet also happens to the person it represents, I am going to act toward that poppet accordingly, but I do not consider the poppet itself to be alive. The connection is the only thing "breathing" life into the object, once I or someone else severs the connection, that object no longer retains the same magic and thus can be disposed of or repurposed, as warranted.

Edited by Jevne, 13 January 2013 - 03:05 PM.

#17 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

Interesting that you linked this, lol... my Old Lady is out in the yard today after being cleaned and she's just kind of having a relaxing-refreshing, then a cup of tea when she comes back inside. In reading your above post, it is weird to try and describe exactly what she is - she is awake and living, and she is "between worlds" in that she can see into both worlds. But her energy is also of me as I awakened her. To me she is a poppet, but I don't know what others would call her.

Actually, I was thinking of making another one today as I'd like to put one in the yard to watch over the vegi plants (I don't mind sharing but I want to get at least SOME of my strawberries, lol). Was just debating tottering up to the grocery store to get some corn husks...

M

#18 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:44 AM

I was considering thought forms today and I would be curious as to other people's opinions and experiences on this!

I was thinking about the possibilities of a thought form tasked not to ward, or keep away vermin, but rather to alter something physically within a person (at least, as far as a thought form created by me could do so). I have been experimenting with this idea for some time although I have not tried to transmute my ideas to an awakened thought form.

It has occurred to me that I've never heard any stories of people tasking a thought form to work in them or on them. I can see obvious risks involved, but I wonder if this is ever commonly done?

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#19 brea

brea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:11 PM

I was considering thought forms today and I would be curious as to other people's opinions and experiences on this!

I was thinking about the possibilities of a thought form tasked not to ward, or keep away vermin, but rather to alter something physically within a person (at least, as far as a thought form created by me could do so). I have been experimenting with this idea for some time although I have not tried to transmute my ideas to an awakened thought form.

It has occurred to me that I've never heard any stories of people tasking a thought form to work in them or on them. I can see obvious risks involved, but I wonder if this is ever commonly done?

I don't know if a thoughtform could make an actual physical change in something or someone Wexler. I think you would have to make the change somehow on the non physical level so that it affects the physical level, if that makes sense :)

I don't think a thoughtform could change the shape of your nose but it might be able to influence you in some way to go get a nose job. 

I've used them to help improve my mental state at times, which in turn does affect you physically in the long run I suppose. 

#20 Theneva

Theneva

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:55 PM

Hmm the only things I have done is to make wards around my house with stones, and I once also tried to feed a faerie that I had invoked into my garden, with real food ie milk or something sweet. I like the Fae and believe they will stay if I don't become obvious towards them, I mean, letting them know my wishes without thanking them nor worshipping in any way. They prefer to be called or asked and will do what they do best without any fanfare from me/us! lol Just saying hello/greeting in some way and talking to them, plain and simple. Almost like talking to my/our trees!

I'd like to learn more about invoking familiars etc.. so this thread caught my eye. ;)

It is hard to fight an enemy who has outposts in your head.

~Sally Kempton

Theneva~ Theneu, Thenu, and Denw. The daughter of a Pictish king.

(I believe this over the xtianized name explanation)