30 replies to this topic

#21 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:01 PM

One of these days... I'll get thee to merry England, and see Stonehenge for myself. That's definitely on the bucket list.
Great post, Tana.

In more recent times American astronomer Gerald Hawkins used a computer to decode many of the stone alignments and from this concluded that Stonehenge was a sophisticated means of observing the heavens. But it is doubtful if these early observations were precise or that the ancients were engaged in the same quest of discovery as scientists are today. Their most likely concerns would have been to establish a basic calendar and to chart the movements of the heavenly bodies for religious purposes.

I wondered about this.. might it have just have been for agricultural purposes? I suppose the better you can track the heavens, the more of an idea you know exactly what time of year it is, since they didn't have clocks and paper calendars to follow back then; and since there are usually some wild temperature fluctuations in the transitional seasons, that could lead to planning mistakes. I'm assuming it might have been difficult (otherwise) to know just when to start/stop planting, or reaping, and that knowledge was critical to survival.

http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#22 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

Grrr, I was at Stonehenge only yesterday and I wish I had read this post before I went as the historical insight would have made a lovely day even more enjoyable. I have to say that the info they provide you with in the visitor's centre is a lot less comprehensive and interesting than this article. So my vote is Tana for Stonehenge curate! Who's with me???
Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#23 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

That would be my dream job!!
)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#24 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:46 AM

She has my vote .. :thumbsup:

Now, can I sneak into the inner circle? I hear they don't let anyone in there anymore.. or at least, not the general public.

Edited by Grymdycche, 04 December 2012 - 12:47 AM.

http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#25 foxman

foxman

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:55 AM

Stonehenge is an adaptation of many cultural societies putting their stamp onto this Cultural, Religious and Political Site. It is the sum total of many cultures adapting it for their own use. The original movement of the Stones such as the Bluestones, Trilithons and the Sarsens was a political One from a nameless person - now lost to us. Of getting hundreds, if not thousands of people to move these stones in the way that they did - for a political statement of power. - And yet, there is a sentience within the structure, that is above and beyond the political extremism that pervades the site - and shows a simple faith and knowledge - also now lost to us of a religious practice that was practised in Brittany through to Orkney and onwards to Sweden and across the Urals of Russia. foxman.

#26 foxman

foxman

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:22 AM

Footnote: Last year I went to Malta, for a holiday with the whole family. I had been there before however, when Cooks was the major Holiday Rep. Then as now, 'Hagyar Qim' (pronounced: Har-eim), though not in its original place was erected with the precision of its original builders. Every stone has been moved onto a hill some ten miles distant under a huge tent to protect the stones from the acid rain that falls on these stones and makes them look like half-chewed Maltesers - well at least I got the name right! The stones were moved so that building work could begun on a new shopping Centre - well so much for progress! This site is said to pre-date Stonehenge and has a unique oratory where a priest would speak down a stone speaking tube into a room that increased the volume and timbre of the sound being projected - for what? Religious, Political or some other reason best known to its Temple Builders. It was a beautiful site - but not standing in the midst of its original position somewhat defeats the object of its creators. foxman

#27 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:43 PM

Interesting. On what historical or related evidence are you basing your interpretations?

#28 foxman

foxman

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:24 PM

I've been to stonehenge several times since they put the turnstiles up and the high cages. There ways onto the site which by-passes the 'security' and we've managed as a group to practice in the Circle with no guards moving us off the site. The best time is when its raining and the wind is howling across Salisbury Plain, since no self-respecting  Security Detail is going to venture outside and get soaked. For us we came prepared in Bergaus and Patagonia Jackets with waterproof trousers and thick high boots to protect us from the environment. No one stops you from coming to the site the processional way and we met the Guardian of the Henge - since Night-time seemed to be the best time to feel and see things you don't normally see in the day. The day to which I am referring, was some three years ago and we went down en-masse in three Land-Rovers and had a great time.

#29 foxman

foxman

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:39 PM

My interpretations are based on Common Archaeological evidence (and calculated supposition based on material facts and up-to-date guided conjecture held by Professional Archaeologists (including a member of our group who is one). foxman

#30 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:36 AM

You can apply to have private access to the inner circle. No need to gate crash! 

The only restriction is that you have to go very early or very late. 
Basically before or after opening times to the general public.

There is a cost, but I always feel it is a reasonable one.

It is easy to find the application process for this with a search online.

)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#31 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:37 AM

FM,

OK, I thought you might have been referencing specific resources.  Archaeology is an interesting field of study.

J

Edited by Jevne, 08 February 2014 - 02:38 AM.