Mythology

Figment

I am a lover of mythology and I was wondering which culture's mythology and folklore that you all like to draw from for inspiration? Greek, Roman, Celtic, Summerian, Hindu, etc? What do you like most about that culture?

Thanks.

Well since my path "wonders" down the Traditional Celtic Fairy and Yogi teachings...I would have to say Celtic and Hindu.

I am a lover of mythology and I was wondering which culture's mythology and folklore that you all like to draw from for inspiration? Greek, Roman, Celtic, Summerian, Hindu, etc? What do you like most about that culture?

Thanks.

I too, am a lover of myths and legends. I find for my own path workings, when the Witch looks with a "Witch Eye" that much can be gleened from myths and legends of all cultures, as many cultures honor the myth, and I find some of the same myths intertwined and weaved alike, just a different color or texture to it. Like a patch work quilt. :yes: Just because I'm up close in your face of Irish decent, does not mean, I can't wrap myself around an eastern myth, and find something I can resonate to.

Regards,

Gypsy

I've loved mythology since I was little and have a whole bookshelf dedicated to books of different cultures myths and stories. But, if my handle didn't give it away, Norse mythology resonates with me the most due to the heavy presence of wolves and the mortality of the gods... the idea that nothing is permanent, nothing is absolute really speaks to me.

But I especially love the similarities that occur in myths of what seem like vastly different cultures. I always smile when I find these little things that pop up all over the world, from different peoples and different times.

~ Freki

:howl-moon:

Neat question...I love many different mythologies from various cultures. I can't say I adhere to one more than to any other, nor do I use them in myh practice. I just figure I can learn something of value from all. My favourites thus far though would have to be: Nordic (Odin and Thor type stuff), and Phoenician (Astarte). I love really big illustrated books with pictures of the gods/goddesses in them that relay the myths in that form...that helps me to picture it in my head better. I've found tons of stuff in the children's section of my library. :vhappywitch:

I suck at mythology in that I can never remember who's greek, who's roman, who's norse, etc. I don't particularly care form greek and roman mythologies. I usually prefer folklore and fairytales to actual mythologies. There are some I would like to get a much deeper understanding of the symbology - like the folklore of the wild hunt, etc. There are some Hindu tales I find very interesting due to a book I once read about a man who grew up in a village that centered around a Kali temple and the book had such insight that it interested me in the mythologies of Kali.

M

Actually - what IS the difference between mythology, folklore, and legend??

M

Good question, I had to look it up. According to the Webster dictionary mythology deals with Gods, demigods, heroes, cosmic orgins and the like. Folklore deals with customs, sayings, tales, morals, and such.

I really like both. I like Celtic folklore about the Fae and about tribal and moral responsibilies, like the Triads. As for mythology, I am drawn towards many different ones but I tend to like Greek and Celtic most of all. At the moment though, I am slowly making my way through the Kalevala. My time is limited these days so my reading time is low.

My Tarot are goddesses from all different mythologies. The strong female presence is mostly what resonates with me.

I think the idea of multiple gods makes the most sense out of all religions over the centuries.

I do not prescribe to anything divine.

My Tarot are goddesses from all different mythologies. The strong female presence is mostly what resonates with me.

I think the idea of multiple gods makes the most sense out of all religions over the centuries.

I do not prescribe to anything divine.

I'm a little confused. You say you believe in multiple gods, that it makes sense; yet, "do not prescribe to anything divine". Do you mean that you acknowledge them, but do not work with them?

Here (in Greece), greek mythology is taught in History class. In the kids history books, The gods and goddesses are right alongside, the battle of Thermopylae. This confused me at first as mythology is not history (or is it?). It is very strange that such a christian oriented country is so proud of their pagan past. But yet, are very paranoied about anything to do with mageia or the occult. Anyway, I love greek mythology as well as Norse and Celtic (tough names!!). But, I feel particularly drawn to the Orisha pantheon-and sometimes use their energy in my work.