Beyond the Occult by Colin Wilson

Blyss

I went to the library today and came back with some glorious reads. You'll have to excuse me as I get all 'hot and bothered' over a good book. I did a search but didn't see where this book had been reviewed. If I missed it, sorry. :)

I highly recommend this book to anyone seriously trying to increase their mental awareness and concentration on a daily basis. The book is NOT about witchcraft per se, but rather is a compilation of 20 years of research into the paranormal. Being quite the skeptic, I am nonetheless openminded and enjoy reading and discovering what experiences others may have had and hopefully, learn something in the process and broaden my perspective.

The chapters range from Hidden Powers to Mediums and Mystics to the World of Spirits and Poltergeists. Mr. Wilson does his best to remain objective (in my opinion) and does seem to really want to pursue the truth and gives evidence for and in some cases, against, individual instances of paranormal activity.

I found the book helpful in that he states that the reason we so called 'civilized' people are so out of touch with our lives and with our senses and spirits is that we are caught up in the minute details of just trying to live (get up, breakfast, work, lunch, home, supper, tv, bed). He states "our chief limitation lies in our assumption that our narrow, tightly-harnessed consciousness is normal and natural, whereas it is in fact highly abnormal and highly unnatural. We possess all the pieces of the jigsaw puzzle, but it is so huge that we never see it as a whole. The moment we grasp this fact we have also begun to learn how to achieve 'moments of vision at will' and howt o gain control of our so called 'hidden powers'.

I hope you guys will give this book a read. It's long and detailed with an impressive bibliography to boot.

That is a great book. I could be wrong (please correct me if I'm wrong) but it is a reprint of an older book by Colin Wilson simply called "The Occult". Apparently it's been reissued under this newer title. Either way, it's a great read. I actually took a fun university course (Philosophy of the Occult!) during undergrad years and this was the main text for the course. Very dense but a good read.

Thanks for the review Blyss.. I have not read this one but have read The Misfits: Study of Sexual Outsiders and Origins of the Sexual Impulse for a research project and The Outsider. He is prolific and interesting writer. I will put it on my wish list.. :)

That is a great book. I could be wrong (please correct me if I'm wrong) but it is a reprint of an older book by Colin Wilson simply called "The Occult". Apparently it's been reissued under this newer title. Either way, it's a great read. I actually took a fun university course (Philosophy of the Occult!) during undergrad years and this was the main text for the course. Very dense but a good read.

I think you are exactly right....it's been updated and reissued and has 'new material'... :) And I like your wording 'dense'...lol. I don't read him when I'm tired. :)

Thanks for the review Blyss.. I have not read this one but have read The Misfits: Study of Sexual Outsiders and Origins of the Sexual Impulse for a research project and The Outsider. He is prolific and interesting writer. I will put it on my wish list.. :)

What did you think of the Outsider? I haven't read that one yet? Worth it?