Photo
- - - - -

Stye Treatment

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Rose

Rose

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:18 PM

All,

My hubby-to-be has a persistent stye. When he first had signs of it I told him to rub my 14k gold ring on it 3 times a day to get rid of it. This usually works for me within a day. I'm pretty sure he just ignored me and played computer games instead! :rolleyes_witch:

Anyway, now it's been a couple of months and the darn thing still persists. He says it isn't particularly painful so he won't go to the doctor, but before I found my home remedy I had to have one removed surgically when I was a pre-teen. It was very painful and took a long time to heal.

Anyone suggest something we could try now to get rid of it?

I've read that a tea rinse of weak Chamomile might help.

Thanks!

Ps - Healing isn't my strong suit, but I'm working on it!

#2 Guest_MissTree_*

Guest_MissTree_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:05 PM

Was your stye enormous? Because they don't usually recommend surgery for styes. That's the last resort. Since a stye is a blocked gland, frequently applied heat (& keeping the lid clean) is often all that's needed to loosen up & unblock the stye.
A wash cloth and warm water would be the first thing to try. Put the ring back on your finger. (Why a gold ring, btw? Why that specific number of rubs?) A Q-tip dipped in warm water is also a good idea. Don't rub, but roll the Q-tip back and forth over the stye to loosen it up.

#3 Rose

Rose

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:17 PM

Was your stye enormous? Because they don't usually recommend surgery for styes. That's the last resort. Since a stye is a blocked gland, frequently applied heat (& keeping the lid clean) is often all that's needed to loosen up & unblock the stye.
A wash cloth and warm water would be the first thing to try. Put the ring back on your finger. (Why a gold ring, btw? Why that specific number of rubs?) A Q-tip dipped in warm water is also a good idea. Don't rub, but roll the Q-tip back and forth over the stye to loosen it up.

My stye was hardened. They had to open it to drain it out. Pretty gross, sorry all!

We did try that for days - the warm compresses. A step-sister of mine was even told to reheat a boiled egg several times a day and hold that to her stye with a cloth covering on it.

I read the gold to work as an old wive's tale/folklore, but it just worked for me - all in all about 4 times it's worked for me now. The reapplication of it, spaced throughout a day, is the reason for the number. Perhaps it's the rubbing action paired with the coolness of the metal, I'm not sure. Might have sort of loosened it and allowed it to drain. There are a lot of things that don't have a logical answer in this area I have found LOL

So just warm water on a q-tip? Even after months? Seems like it would need something to dissolve the scab other than that?

Like I said - perhaps all the things that have worked for me before have just been thanks to "agitation" before a scab formed.

#4 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:07 PM

This website gives some interesting home remedies. They're all fairly sound herbally-speaking. I think I've heard of the potato wash before.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#5 LdyShalott

LdyShalott

NecRomancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:17 PM

Compress of goldenseal, dandelion and eyebright is what I have used in the past..

Most witches don’t believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.  T.P.

In order to understand the living.. you have to commune with the dead..
You are a tiny little soul carrying around a corpse.-- Epictetus
All experience is an arch wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move.

#6 Guest_MissTree_*

Guest_MissTree_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:53 PM

My stye was hardened. They had to open it to drain it out. Pretty gross, sorry all!

We did try that for days - the warm compresses. A step-sister of mine was even told to reheat a boiled egg several times a day and hold that to her stye with a cloth covering on it.

I read the gold to work as an old wive's tale/folklore, but it just worked for me - all in all about 4 times it's worked for me now. The reapplication of it, spaced throughout a day, is the reason for the number. Perhaps it's the rubbing action paired with the coolness of the metal, I'm not sure. Might have sort of loosened it and allowed it to drain. There are a lot of things that don't have a logical answer in this area I have found LOL

So just warm water on a q-tip? Even after months? Seems like it would need something to dissolve the scab other than that?

Like I said - perhaps all the things that have worked for me before have just been thanks to "agitation" before a scab formed.

Just to clarify, the warm water (heat) on a Q-Tip (something soft to roll back and forth over the stye - as opposed to rubbing) was a suggestion for another variation of the warm compress.
If there is a scab forming, it's because of damage caused to the eyelid skin from rubbing and/or scratching at the stye. Don't rub. Don't scratch.

#7 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:33 PM

Make sure it is a stye.

I was told I had one by a nurse and it's actually a cyst on my eyelid that I'm just waiting for to sort itself out. Apparently can take up to two years but it's so unobtrusive there is no point opting for an incision with my healing difficulties.

#8 Pixie

Pixie

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:11 AM

My grandma has cyst and stye problems (along with a host of other eye issues). She usually uses a compress of goldenseal and eyebrite. I am not sure of the medical properties of either the herbs but the warm compress is important - as it leaving it well alone and not scratching or picking. Still maybe getting it looked at to be sure it's just a stye would be a good idea because the cysts she gets are sometimes pretty serious and require anitbiotics and such.

#9 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:33 AM

All,

My hubby-to-be has a persistent stye. When he first had signs of it I told him to rub my 14k gold ring on it 3 times a day to get rid of it. This usually works for me within a day. I'm pretty sure he just ignored me and played computer games instead! :rolleyes_witch:

Anyway, now it's been a couple of months and the darn thing still persists. He says it isn't particularly painful so he won't go to the doctor, but before I found my home remedy I had to have one removed surgically when I was a pre-teen. It was very painful and took a long time to heal.

Anyone suggest something we could try now to get rid of it?

I've read that a tea rinse of weak Chamomile might help.

Thanks!

Ps - Healing isn't my strong suit, but I'm working on it!

I recall that the liquid from clary sage leaves has been used for many eye problems. I don't personally know anyone that has used this specific remedy before, but the more info the better, yeah? I'd for sure at least give a call to a naturopathic physician before attempting different natural cures, eyes are delicate things.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#10 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:00 PM

I can remember my mum using baking soda in warm water to get rid of styes, you can use cotton wool pads to apply it.

I think though if it is something that keeps coming back he should see the doctor.

On the net is says It can be passed if you share face towels, so make sure you are not just giving them back and forth to each other! lol! :chakrahearts:

#11 Rose

Rose

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:41 PM

All such wonderful advice!

No, we don't share towels - he doesn't get why I think this is gross... when he "accidentally" uses mine - into the wash it goes!
He also doesn't get why we don't use my one nice set of matching towels to sop up the (clean) water when it leaks from the toilet tank. Men!

Anywho - I'm rebuilding my herb and oil collection so I will look into the ones recommended. Now that eyebrite has been mentioned a few times I remember reading about this.

Sadly all of my herbs, oils, and reference books got left with the ex-husband. He just got an email saying I was ready for these items to return to me! :)

Edited by Rose, 01 July 2011 - 02:41 PM.