• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Wytchywoman

Wytchywoman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:24 PM

When I grew up, this wound up being the talk at the slumber parties, or baby sitters regaling creepy tales to me. There are various versions of it, but in my area, the legend was that bloody Mary was a grounds keepers daughter at a local pscyh ward who was attacked to death one evening by patients who had gotten out. Supposedly there was a statue erected in her honor on the grounds (although I never saw it, and had checked out the location this supposedly happened at). Some believe that bloody Mary pertains to either Mary 1 of England or the Queen of Scots. However, according to snopes there really is no connection linking the folklore/legend to these queens, thus interesting speculation at best. http://www.snopes.co.../bloodymary.asp

The ritual I knew of when I was a child was that if you turned out the lights in a room with a mirror and said "Bloody Mary" three times, spinning each time you say it, she would appear in the mirror all grotesque and bloody after the third spin. Supposedly, if she appeared she could attack the one that conjured her up. I suppose there are variants of this ritual that others know or did themselves. Any of you try this? If so, did anything strange happen, or nothing at all, such as the case whenever I tried it. Do you feel that this is complete fabrication or that it might scantly be based on some sort of true occurrence?

Smile! It makes people wonder what you're up to..

#2 Freki

Freki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:32 PM

Yes, my friends and I did this as children. I was always very disappointed when nothing happened.

A cute video on the subject (I hope it's okay to share here):

~ Listen to them, the children of the night. What sweet music they make! ~
Bram Stoker's Dracula

#3 Guest_MissTree_*

Guest_MissTree_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:39 PM

I remember trying it with a friend during a sleep-over at her house. We didn't see or hear anything at all after saying it 3 times. Just stood there in the candle-lit bathroom for a while, staring at ourselves in the mirror. lol We felt kind of foolish about it afterwards.

#4 Guest_MissTree_*

Guest_MissTree_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:42 PM

Yes, my friends and I did this as children. I was always very disappointed when nothing happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjXLPW6geL0&feature=player_detailpage

LMAO!!! I love what "Mary" says at the end. :roflhard:

#5 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:44 PM

I have heard of this but never tried it. The other slumber-party ghost-story I seem to remember is that one where someone lays down and people put one finger under them and say something alone the lines as something, seomthing, something, light as a feather then all pick up the person, but I ave never tried that out, either so I can't really say if it works.

M

#6 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:47 PM

Oh wow, do you think it works for Sex On The Beach?

The feather thing is a bit like the egg thing. The person you 'lift' has their eyes closed and feels like they're being lifted. The egg thing is you get someone to sit down and close their eyes (or blindfolded) and you get people around them to giggle when you say you're going to do something to them then announce your cracking the egg and run your fingers from a bunch on the top of their head down their hair, like it's spreading out. Feels like you've had an egg cracked above your head and fallen on you :yes:

#7 LdyShalott

LdyShalott

NecRomancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:51 PM

Silly but LMAO..... :roflhard:

Most witches don’t believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.  T.P.

In order to understand the living.. you have to commune with the dead..
You are a tiny little soul carrying around a corpse.-- Epictetus
All experience is an arch wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move.

#8 Wytchywoman

Wytchywoman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:21 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjXLPW6geL0&feature=player_detailpage

:rofl:That's hilarious, thanks for sharing that!

Smile! It makes people wonder what you're up to..

#9 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:20 AM

Only a couple of weeks ago my son came home from school and was asking me about "Bloody Mary" and if the tale was true. He and his mates had been frightening the crap out of each other, it took him about a week to put it out of his mind. Lol.

#10 Pirkkodiva

Pirkkodiva

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:33 PM

Only a couple of weeks ago my son came home from school and was asking me about "Bloody Mary" and if the tale was true. He and his mates had been frightening the crap out of each other, it took him about a week to put it out of his mind. Lol.

Haha! Your son is braver than I am. Only recently have I stopped being scared of mirrors in the dark. Glad to know that so many have tried and nothing has happened. I always had gotten Steven King-like visions of what would happen. :mad_witch:

#11 Guest_MissTree_*

Guest_MissTree_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:27 PM

Haha! Your son is braver than I am. Only recently have I stopped being scared of mirrors in the dark. Glad to know that so many have tried and nothing has happened. I always had gotten Steven King-like visions of what would happen. :mad_witch:

Lol, I wonder what Stephen King would come up with. Probably a Bloody Mary character that would wipe out half the eastern seaboard population. :-D

#12 LightBurner

LightBurner

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:18 AM

Yeah I heard of similar stories...

Hope you don't mind me correcting you about who the queen was... It was not Mary Queen of Scots but rather Mary Tudor Queen of Englad (she was Queen Mary t- he first)... Mary Queen of Scots was a monarch that had married the king of France and when he died, there was no reason for her to stay in France coz they were going to crown a new king and so she went back to her country (Scotland) where she was Queen by birth... Her story is tragic too...

Nonetheless, Here's about Mary Tudor Queen of England... She was the first born kid of Henry VIII (with Catherine of Aragon - from Spain)... He life is a tough one to have lived... Anyway, her mom was sent away to finish her life in exile coz the king wanted to marry Anne Boleyn (Anne was Queen Elizabeth's mom - and Elizabeth, of course, was Mary's half sister)... Mary was just a little girl when that happened and was not allowed to see her mom... not even when her mom was dying... Suffice to say that Mary despised Anne for breaking her parents marriage... Since Mary was a devout Catholic, she despised Anne even more later on for the fact that Anne "swayed" Henry VII to detach himself and the country from the Catholic faith... and that made her hate everybody that was not Catholic...

We all know that Henry VIII went on to have 6 wives in total and also have a third kid (a boy)...When Henry VIII, the person that was in charge of the country and of that little boys upbringing was a Lutheran (if I'm not mistaken)... And so, the boy was to be crown king first, and if that little boy died, Mary was to be crowned Queen and then if she died, Elizabeth was to be crowned Queen...

And that's exactly what happen... the boy died young and therefore, Mary was crowned Queen... When she became Queen, she went in a rampage to have a lot of protestants burned at the stake... there was so many people burnt that the started calling her Bloody Mary...

That's the shortest version I can give of it...

Anyway, to answer your question, my daughter told me last month that she tried the whole Bloody Mary in her school's ladies room... The version that we know here is more simplistic than the one you explained... Here the version that we know only says to say "Bloody Mary" 3 times in front of a mirror... it doesn't matter the when you say it (day or night) and it doesn't matter if the lights are turned on or off... And it is said that Bloody Mary will come kill you within a few days of saying her name 3 times...

So, my daughter tried it (I've been too chicken to try it myself hahahaha) and she's still alive :) I'm still not gonna try it though lol... it's too creepy for me lolol...

#13 ashley

ashley

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 04:11 AM

This story is 100% true - as told to me by my mother (who doesn't lie/make up stories).

My mom and two of my cousins were at my mom's house, and it was late at night, and she lives wayyyyyy out in the backwoods, nothing for at least 30 acres around her house. The trees scratch the windows and it's dark as pitch outside (no streetlights for miles). So my mom - who is obsessed with anything even remotely scary, decides she's going to freak my little cousins (boys - 11 and 15) by telling them all about Bloody Mary in this super-creepy way she tells stories.

So by the time she gets to the end, the 15 year old is scared (he's chicken) and the 11 year old is looking at her like, "Yeah, right. Smoke another one."
And he rolls his eyes, and he's sitting on the window seat facing my mom and his brother who are sitting on the end of my mom's bed, and he laughs and says (full of the bravado that only a child can have), "Yeah right, that's not even real, and even if it was, Bloody Mary's a B****."

And he looks to his big brother, waiting for him to laugh and/or be impressed that he had the guts to curse in front of my mom, and my cousin was staring at him with what my mom described as "the most terrified look she's ever seen." So my mom glances over to see my younger cousin at the same time he reaches up to see about the wetness coming out of his nose.

Nosebleed. One small little trickle immediately following his outburst about Mary. Coincidence? Allergies? I've never known him to have a nosebleed before or after the incident.

#14 Meghan

Meghan

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 06:01 AM

We used to play this in elementary school. Someone would turn off the lights and another kid would flush all the toilets while we all screamed bloody mary over and over. IDK what the toilet flushing was all about, probably to annoy the teachers more.
In the version i grew up with, Mary appeared in the mirror and while you were frozen like a deer in headlights, reached out and slashed your throat. My own reflection in a dark room still creeps me out to this day.

Interesting to hear the Queen Mary info, the Tutors were quite the monarchy lol.

#15 LightBurner

LightBurner

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:16 AM

Ashley... That's pretty freaky... I'd be scared if it had happened to me at that age lol... I'm pretty sure your cousin didn't try that one again lol...

Meghan... Yeah they were lol... An interesting thing though, is that I watched a video where a guy retraced the royal families genealogy and found out that they actually should have never gotten the throne coz supposedly, when one of the previous kings had died (he was killed), the guy, that got the throne after that, was actually illegitimate... his mother had had an affair with somebody else while her husband was away... her husband never realized it and thought that it was his son when it wasn't... And so, the son got on the throne without having one single drop of royal blood running through his veins lol... I found that pretty interesting to say the least lolol ;)

#16 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:40 PM

Ashley... That's pretty freaky... I'd be scared if it had happened to me at that age lol... I'm pretty sure your cousin didn't try that one again lol...

Meghan... Yeah they were lol... An interesting thing though, is that I watched a video where a guy retraced the royal families genealogy and found out that they actually should have never gotten the throne coz supposedly, when one of the previous kings had died (he was killed), the guy, that got the throne after that, was actually illegitimate... his mother had had an affair with somebody else while her husband was away... her husband never realized it and thought that it was his son when it wasn't... And so, the son got on the throne without having one single drop of royal blood running through his veins lol... I found that pretty interesting to say the least lolol ;)

Ha ha, I don't think thats the only time this has happened in the history of the Kings and Queens of England!

)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#17 LightBurner

LightBurner

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:01 AM

Ha ha, I don't think thats the only time this has happened in the history of the Kings and Queens of England!

lol For sure not! lolol... I just found it really interesting that the guy put one and one together (During which period the husband was away vs the time the wife gave birth) lol... This particular event hadn't been noticed by anybody before lolol.. Just really interesting those little details people find ;)

#18 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:07 AM

... Your son is braver than I am. Only recently have I stopped being scared of mirrors in the dark...

I still won't sleep with a mirror in my bedroom. Had trouble with them in the past and I am not a big fan of them unless I am blow-drying my hair, lol...

M

#19 MsRachel

MsRachel

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:40 PM

I had to respond to this
I actually have a different story of where
the bloody mary legend comes from.
When I went to New Orleans for a spiritual journey
I learned of this. I do follow many of her teachings and
in doing so found this bit of knowledge.
Bloody Mary refers to the daughter of Marie Laveau.
She was a "voodoo queen" in the 1800's
who had a daughter with the same name
but her daughter followed a dark and evil path.
here, the daughter is the one we call bloody mary.
(I went to both mother and daughters graves, they are in two different
cemeteries that are across the street from each other, mothers grave is
in the calm, peaceful...the daughters grave smelled of fresh death
and had a jar of some "parts" in front of it...)
there is also a women who claims to be the current voodoo queen but
calls herself bloody mary saying she is the reincarnate of the daughther..... =/
my story goes on much longer but for this purpose we stop here.
I hope this different perspective helps in your search for knowledge.

#20 Guest_Rowan_*

Guest_Rowan_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:23 AM

I have never tried it and was always too chicken to try it. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who is afraid of mirrors. I tried scrying with a mirror in the dark once. It freaked me out so bad I have no intention of ever trying that again.