Sign in to follow this  
Oakbuchanan

Music you use?

It is very hard to determine the "best" of Kate Bush. "The Man with the Child in his Eyes" takes some beating as does "Wuthering Heights" however her contribution to music shoud NEVER be overlooked.

I have found that the traditional Chinese music played by my accupuncturist during my waiting period while "pinned" allows me to go out and about, which I do often while there.

FFFF

Elf

lol not gonna hyjack this and turn it into a Kate Bush thread - she aint everyones cuppa tea, but I like ""The Man with the Child in his Eyes" but its not one of my favourites. I find "The Sensual World" very witchy, I think i'm addicted :P

Great thread!

I have found using music in my workings to be helpful as a sound buffer. I have 5 small children and a noisy neighborhood. Going into the room that blocks off noise the best and then putting on music helps to rid of these other far more distracting noises and makes it possible for me to be louder without my kids coming knocking wondering what I am doing. Hearing Mozart or Florence + the Machine coming from the room makes more sense to them then mom chanting loudly.

I use music that speaks to me. Often I will just put one song on repeat and have it playing low enough that all I really hear is the noise vs. so loud I am focusing on the music itself and lyrics. But if that noise were, say, Barney it would drive me up a wall so I like to use songs that speak to the working I am doing. That way it not only serves practically but also goes towards the feeling I am trying to create in the room.

I use one specific song in my meditation. That one I wear headphones with and have loud enough to block out any outside noise.

I haven't used music in any big fancy magical ways, but I have used it before to make up very simple songs to help me do mundane things. For instance, when I was really depressed once, I made up simple songs to help me do the dishes or the laundry, etc. I think there is something to the "whistle while you work" notion. Even the military makes up chants and songs to help soldiers stay focused (a lot of them are dirty so I say that helps morale ;).

I do use music to get into or out of a "zone" sometimes though or even to set an emotional tone in my home. My significant other recently inherited a huge library of classical vinyl music and a record player from his deceased grandmother. We put the record player in the living room and are listening to a different classical piece each day--I love it! There's something so satisfyingly tactile about choosing a record and putting the needle to the vinyl. Plus it sounds amazing.

When I am doing creative writing, I am notorious for listening to a song on repeat for hours, sometimes even days. Sometimes a song will capture the mood of what I'm trying to write about and so I will just let it repeat until I am done. This tends to drive others slightly crazy. :P

Hearing Mozart or Florence + the Machine coming from the room makes more sense to them then mom chanting loudly.

I am totally going to steal this method for when my own little one is bigger! For one, I intend to conceal my craft until he is old enough to know how to lie to my mother. :P

When I am really in a bad place, I have a humpback whale recording that I use to block out my environment . When I first started listening to it, I found it annoying, but then it started working like a drug, in a way I don't understand. Humpback whale sounds are very LOW and as a trauma victim, low sounds can ground me. I was also born in an island and have a LOT of water in my history in so many ways. I don't know :-0 I'll often combine this with playing solitaire with my playing cards and paying attention to which cards are in key positions of play and use that as divination. Then I will often use the cards to do a bit of Work.

In the past I have experimented a bit with vocal toning. The tones vibrate through my body. I can FEEL the difference between the low and high tones, when I make them. I want to give this some more attention before deciding to seriously work with this technique or to discard it.

I purchased a healing drum kit, that also deserves some attention, before I decide whether or not I want to adopt any sort of drumming into my Ways.

I have a harmonica and like the vocal toning, I can FEEL the notes in my mouth. I have no desire to look outwardly witchy, or ONLY use OLD ways. When I listen to people talk about the old ways, I am looking for them to clue me in to what is the meat of their practice, not the individual spices THEIR family has experimented with, and now personalized. But if I decide the harmonica is just not quite right, I would maybe like to make my own clay ocarina. They can fill up with spit when you play them though :-(

So this is some of what I am playing around with :-0

This was a good thread to read.

It is interesting to see who prefers/doesn't prefer music and why. I prefer both music and other conditions (silence, nature, a car engine, voices in the distance etc.) depending on the situation. Playing/creatiing/hearing music is survival for me and is sometimes part of spellwork as a conductor and/or result. You can send a powerful message through a song.

The type of music depends on you when you are hearing/playing it, and what you are trying to create. I can't narrow it to one artist as I like a little bit of most genres and I've done spells listening to the B-52's, Siouxie & the Banshees, Gustav Holst, Black Sabbath, Billy Holiday, Les Paul& Mary Ford, DJ shadow, and...and Metallica (I like stuff from Cliff Burton's era). Looking back on the songs...the list makes no sense other than what I needed to feel on a particular day. The most recent was "Radian" by Air. I don't repeat songs for another working. But when I do hear something important it is as if I'm meant to hear it, as if someone responded in a conversation I did not know I was having. That can be a distraction too, which is why sometimes I prefer silence or nature. In the end, to me music is also nature, something human beings were helpless not to create.

I haven't used music in any big fancy magical ways, but I have used it before to make up very simple songs to help me do mundane things. For instance, when I was really depressed once, I made up simple songs to help me do the dishes or the laundry, etc.

I do something similar to this. I'm always chanting little songs in my head. Some may consider them spells, because I use them to alter my or someone else's perceptions or deal with situations that come my way. Often it is just to help me do mundane things, like you mention.

Do you thinks listening to music could be a left brain/right brain thing?

Just wondering if playing music of some description could somehow sedate the left brain (it listens to it, analyses it and thinks thats nice) and while that's busy the right brain is concentrating on the task in hand?

Do you thinks listening to music could be a left brain/right brain thing?

Just wondering if playing music of some description could somehow sedate the left brain (it listens to it, analyses it and thinks thats nice) and while that's busy the right brain is concentrating on the task in hand?

Heck yeah.

I think gaining more balance/workability between left and right brain is one way of looking at it - the math of music appeals to left brain most - not sure it quells/silences left for all people - but I think it does make the switch from left to right for some. I don't always use music for a sedate state of mind when I'm doing spells; that definitely wasn't the aim when I was listening to the b-52's lol. What music certainly does for many is induce mood changes, and that can be valuable when your goal is to make something work but there's a dog barking in the next yard or a siren passing by. Some people can work with/around those sounds, but I find them ten times more distracting than songs which in many cases the changes are predictable. Perhaps repetition also plays a part - the repeated message of the music and/or lyrics.

Theta state also comes to mind. I think this is a thread in itself - brain states and spellwork in general. For those wanting a somewhat decent read on brain states, here's one. Theta is associated with trance, meditation, memory-making. Sometimes associated with 'just before sleep' when you have those eye-poppingly good ideas because you are relaxed, etc.. I'm sure it varies for all and always with respect to the intent of the spell OR other work! When I think about it now, I almost NEVER do any form of divination without music while it's about 60/40 music/non-music when it comes to spells for me.

Do you use music in your working's? Or to enter certain states?

I use various stuff.. One album I have used alot is Tiestos 'Elements of Life' to get into a certain zone. This is my favourite track from the album.. Would be interested to hear what others use.. Hopefully get some good pointers too.. :)

Admittedly, I am a music junkie. Music is a big part of my whole family's lives. My husband and I can both play the guitar <although he is much better..lol>, and the kids play instruments too.

Music is such a huge part of my life that it does spill over into craft related things..I listen to music to enter certain states, to be used as inspiration, and have been known to use music as part of workings themselves. I have used all kinds of music, different genres, artists, fast/slow..punk, top 40, heavy metal, oldies, new age, rap, instrumental, classical, music in other languages.from other cultures... my own voice even...an intended purpose weighs heavily on the music selection of the moment.

Music is used as a tool at times..and has been an ally at times as well...it's a beautiful way to hide a spell in plain sight :thumbsup:

Anara

Do you use music in your working's? Or to enter certain states?

I use various stuff.. One album I have used alot is Tiestos 'Elements of Life' to get into a certain zone. This is my favourite track from the album.. Would be interested to hear what others use.. Hopefully get some good pointers too.. :)

I use music quite a bit to help block out the noise of my children and to help me to enter a state of deeper relaxation. It's a mix of very calming new-agey music, Arabian flute and various chants (gregorian, egyptian, etc) and I play it softly.

A lot of my music is stuff I've found off of youtube which I have downloaded and added to my "Ritual Playlist". For me, what's most important is how steady the beat is and how calming (not distracting) it is. I listen to the music before it's gets added to my playlist to make sure there aren't any surprises. Nothing worse than being shocked out of a meditative state by music which suddenly gets loud or changes beat too quickly. I've jumped out of my skin one too many times from that and then I loose concentration. The point of any music in ritual, for me, is simply to aid with concentration.

I've been interested in trying shamanic drumming cd's. Does anyone have any specific recommendations?

Oak, here are some examples of the music I use. Some are downloaded from iTunes and others are taken from downloaded YT videos. I don't do anything with the vids themselves, I just take the audio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywvr1bN2L04

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf4HgpJ_NSc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SS9iLdAVZU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L01A9TUajq8&feature=related

I like other's have stated prefer the sounds of nature while doing workings, music just distracts me which is great when I want to be distracted, but magical workings is NOT that time! The wind in the trees and the crackle of a fire puts me in the right state of mind.

The ocean is a wonderful sound, but sadly I don't live there anymore :(

I'm bumping this to see if anyone has anything else to add, I don't use music in my workings personally, but I can see it working for some trance states for sure. I also like the idea of using nature sounds or white noise, since I too live in the city, and with kids, and blocking out the sounds of nieghbors, cars, televisions and the like would definitely come in handy.

Edited by Solanaceae

Running water, wind and birds.  I don't use pre recorded sounds, I just do my thing around the natural sounds. Then there are tunes, songs and chants one sings during spells.  I see those in a different manner though. 

True natural sounds would be ideal, unfortunatly not always possible for me mind you. You reminded me of something though, I do use a fountain in my working space that makes the sound of water running over stones.

If I can figure out who did the music for Ravenshaw's Fire Poi video post, I will be using that for a while.  I loved it.

I love an Arabic/Celtic type of music.  Loreen McKinnett does this well, for me. 

Edit to add I just found it: Nightstep by Delhi2Dublin

I will probably be ordering this CD soon.

Edited by Raineylane

Music is very foundational to my practice, I use it in lots of ways.  First way I learned was to create sigils with music instead of pictures and words - I would make my intention and hold it in mind while I played something random and repetitive (letting energy play through me instead of thinking what to play), and I would keep playing till I entered a trance and "charged" the sigil.

Many of my rituals now may consist of just a song.  Songs taught to you by a spirit ally can evoke or call upon that spirit.  When I want protection, I sing the song of that spirit who protects me ect....

I also use drumming for trance work - usually a live drum, but sometimes I use an mp3.  I have slowly been using this less and less though, and instead been using icaros lately.  I have a bunch of songs my shaman sang recorded, and they are very effective at helping me do journey work, or helping me meditate and process emotions.  

My friend owns an interesting gizmo, which we just call the "astral projection bed".  This bed comes with a few tracks that use binural beats along with some vedic root tones, and has the ability to send almost anyone out of body within a few minutes.  Besides the music it plays, it has 2 motors under the bed which vibrate the whole bed (and your body) to the same frequency as the music plays.  It works extremely well.  It is pricey though (I couldnt afford one personally).  http://www.lightbeingmusic.org/sound-tables

• Upvote 2

Music is very foundational to my practice, I use it in lots of ways.  First way I learned was to create sigils with music instead of pictures and words - I would make my intention and hold it in mind while I played something random and repetitive (letting energy play through me instead of thinking what to play), and I would keep playing till I entered a trance and "charged" the sigil.

Many of my rituals now may consist of just a song.  Songs taught to you by a spirit ally can evoke or call upon that spirit.  When I want protection, I sing the song of that spirit who protects me ect....

I also use drumming for trance work - usually a live drum, but sometimes I use an mp3.  I have slowly been using this less and less though, and instead been using icaros lately.  I have a bunch of songs my shaman sang recorded, and they are very effective at helping me do journey work, or helping me meditate and process emotions.  

My friend owns an interesting gizmo, which we just call the "astral projection bed".  This bed comes with a few tracks that use binural beats along with some vedic root tones, and has the ability to send almost anyone out of body within a few minutes.  Besides the music it plays, it has 2 motors under the bed which vibrate the whole bed (and your body) to the same frequency as the music plays.  It works extremely well.  It is pricey though (I couldnt afford one personally).  http://www.lightbeingmusic.org/sound-tables

Wow, thank you for this reply! Excellent contribution to this thread! :thumbsup:

I would make my intention and hold it in mind while I played something random and repetitive (letting energy play through me instead of thinking what to play), and I would keep playing till I entered a trance and "charged" the sigil.

This speaks to me.  I use song, usually the same tune for casting the same things.  Its just something I have always done.  I have since studied some native american techniques and this song component was a major part of the tribe's traditions.  In that tradition I studied, the plants teach you the songs to evoke the plant spirit, if you are worthy and have earned its respect, and they, the plant spirits themselves, teach you how to use the plant to heal or to harm, whatever is needed by the tribe. 

That sounds similar to my experience.  Actually - I see that as a common factor within plant spirit based traditions and shamanic style traditions - song is usually a big focus in some ways.  The style of music varies greatly, but there is usually music involved.  Dancing, chanting, drumming, didgeridoo, singing....  Takes lots of forms!  

Actually - my avatar is a sacred plant medicine song - the Shipibos who made it (it is a pic of a woven cloth) are the only known tribe who draws their songs, and this particular song is in the shape of the heart of an Ayahuasca vine.  The anthropologist who discovered that Shipibos draw their own songs watched two ladies make an original painted vase (no two ever look alike).  The women never looked at what the other women painted, but just sang a song together and painted the song as they sung it.  Their geometric patterns matched up perfectly by the end of the piece!  

So they even go as far to weave their plant medicine songs into clothing which they wear for protection ect....

Edited by travsha

That sounds similar to my experience.  Actually - I see that as a common factor within plant spirit based traditions and shamanic style traditions - song is usually a big focus in some ways.  The style of music varies greatly, but there is usually music involved.  Dancing, chanting, drumming, didgeridoo, singing....  Takes lots of forms!  

Actually - my avatar is a sacred plant medicine song - the Shipibos who made it (it is a pic of a woven cloth) are the only known tribe who draws their songs, and this particular song is in the shape of the heart of an Ayahuasca vine.  The anthropologist who discovered that Shipibos draw their own songs watched two ladies make an original painted vase (no two ever look alike).  The women never looked at what the other women painted, but just sang a song together and painted the song as they sung it.  Their geometric patterns matched up perfectly by the end of the piece!  

So they even go as far to weave their plant medicine songs into clothing which they wear for protection ect....

That is pretty awesome. 

Heck yeah.

I think gaining more balance/workability between left and right brain is one way of looking at it - the math of music appeals to left brain most - not sure it quells/silences left for all people - but I think it does make the switch from left to right for some. I don't always use music for a sedate state of mind when I'm doing spells; that definitely wasn't the aim when I was listening to the b-52's lol. What music certainly does for many is induce mood changes, and that can be valuable when your goal is to make something work but there's a dog barking in the next yard or a siren passing by. Some people can work with/around those sounds, but I find them ten times more distracting than songs which in many cases the changes are predictable. Perhaps repetition also plays a part - the repeated message of the music and/or lyrics.

Theta state also comes to mind. I think this is a thread in itself - brain states and spellwork in general. For those wanting a somewhat decent read on brain states, here's one. Theta is associated with trance, meditation, memory-making. Sometimes associated with 'just before sleep' when you have those eye-poppingly good ideas because you are relaxed, etc.. I'm sure it varies for all and always with respect to the intent of the spell OR other work! When I think about it now, I almost NEVER do any form of divination without music while it's about 60/40 music/non-music when it comes to spells for me.

THIS!

There is credible research that certain types of music and sounds (like binaural beats) can activate both hemispheres and/or help you reach theta. Actually more than just theta; alpha, beta, delta (thank god for this bc it's the only way I can actually fall asleep after years of insomnia) and maybe even gamma. I haven't done the research yet on gamma yet. 

I can use just my breath and visualization for meditation, but sometimes I use a plethora of different music specifically designed for meditation and/or helping you reach certain brainwave states. I experiment w/new ones all the time. Sometimes it's shamanic type music (drumming, etc.) and other times it's geared towards binaural beats, and still other times it's other types of instrumental music designed for meditation (like flutes, singing bowls, etc.). I raise a lot of energy for my work using meditation. 

I find this greatly motivational during the planning stage (or thinking stage), or even to get up off  my ass and clean the house, lol.  For anyone unfamiliar with the piece you need to listen all the way through as it builds upon itself.

M

I trance out to music all the time, not necessarily during a working but just to get my head into a droning state of mind.  A few notable bands in particular that are also notably witchy:

Runemagick --Swedish doom (very very dark doom, if you can find a song called "Witchcraft Gateways" it will blow your mind)

Wold --Canadian black/noise...not for the squeamish listener.  A lot of notable traditional witchcraft if you look up the lyrics on some of their older albums

Melechesh --Mesopotamian black metal, originally from Palestine

Satyricon --Norwegian black/doom they're just awesome to drone out to

Omega Massif --German instrumental post-metal

Ulver --Norwegian experimental music collective, electronica/black metal/goth rock

Isis --Panopticon album and a lot more post-metal

Way too many to list here.  A lot of DSBM (depressive black metal) too which is specifically designed to help you "drone out"

Also on some days I throw on Native American cedar flute music

Edited by Capsicum

Sign in to follow this