Music you use?

Oakbuchanan

I find this greatly motivational during the planning stage (or thinking stage), or even to get up off  my ass and clean the house, lol.  For anyone unfamiliar with the piece you need to listen all the way through as it builds upon itself.

M

That's one of my all time favourites Michele! You're in for a treat if you haven't yet seen the movie that was made for the entire Carmina Burana in 1975, directed by Jean-Pierre Ponelle: 

And did you know Carmina Burana is just the first part of a trilogy? The other parts are Catulli Carmina and Trionfo di Afrodite, I just discovered that about six months ago.

Edited by Horne

Electro Tance. Nice.

F--- rock & roll; electro forever!

But seriously...Ignore the new-age stuff you've read.

If the magick you are casting is important enough to you, you don't need to drag a generator out to the middle of the forest and hope it has enough gas in it so that you can get in the proper mental state to do magic. I know there are newer ways of providing charge to an iphone these days, but seriously, it's too much to worry about when you just got to get things done.

I know you are not casting spells in the deep forest, but you seriously don't need to bring anything other than your personal conflictions when trying to accomplish a magical feat.

Music is nice to have around, but the ancients didn't have boomboxes and they did just fine.

I bring a drum, my voice, and the voices of my mates and their drums when I have something important to do. 

Electro Tance. Nice.

F--- rock & roll; electro forever!

But seriously...Ignore the new-age stuff you've read.

If the magick you are casting is important enough to you, you don't need to drag a generator out to the middle of the forest and hope it has enough gas in it so that you can get in the proper mental state to do magic. I know there are newer ways of providing charge to an iphone these days, but seriously, it's too much to worry about when you just got to get things done.

I know you are not casting spells in the deep forest, but you seriously don't need to bring anything other than your personal conflictions when trying to accomplish a magical feat.

Music is nice to have around, but the ancients didn't have boomboxes and they did just fine.

I bring a drum, my voice, and the voices of my mates and their drums when I have something important to do. 

I'm sure you are aware, Alex, but most members on this site are not beginners and they are aware of how magic works and how to cast it, and they are aware of what they need to get the job done - which may or may not be different than what you need to get the job done.

• Upvote 2

Damn, I feel left out !!!

I don't use music at all when I cast. I would find that very distracting.

I do have some ritualistic verses that might sound like 'music' when spoken aloud -- taking on a chanty, sing-song vibe. 

I've discovered that my 'zone' is actually a trance state that my mind slips into on its own without external stimuli (music)

Although, having attended an ancient tribal dance (blindfolded, yes... blindfolded) and dancing for 90 minutes straight, I can see how music helps raise energy. Exhausting, tho'. 

I'm sure you are aware, Alex, but most members on this site are not beginners and they are aware of how magic works and how to cast it, and they are aware of what they need to get the job done - which may or may not be different than what you need to get the job done.

================

I'm a sucker for the old ways, what can I say! I have tried music before but it is too distracting unless it is just a rhythmic drum loop.

Damn, I feel left out !!!

I don't use music at all when I cast. I would find that very distracting.

I do have some ritualistic verses that might sound like 'music' when spoken aloud -- taking on a chanty, sing-song vibe. 

I've discovered that my 'zone' is actually a trance state that my mind slips into on its own without external stimuli (music)

Although, having attended an ancient tribal dance (blindfolded, yes... blindfolded) and dancing for 90 minutes straight, I can see how music helps raise energy. Exhausting, tho'. 

===========

Sounds like we have some things in common.

What bugs me is when someone says they want to do a spell and then we all hold hands and meditate while some bi-neural beats are coming from speakers. Sitting quietly and meditating doesn't do it for me. I prefer to be more active and vocal.

LOL Generators and boomboxes? What about an MP3 player and some earplugs? So much easier to carry around. :wink: But seriously, I only use music indoors, outside I tend to just listen to the sounds of my surroundings.

============

lol, I know that was a funny mental picture to paint. Most of the time getting music going is too much of a hassle out in the woods anyway. Hope I charged my batteries.

Some music trancing brings me close to the hedge, especially certain scales, chords, and progressions.  I'm a musician so I know the intense connection that music has as a voice of spirit or as a channel.  So I'll share some more with you guys by one of the bands I mentioned earlier.  While most of their material is fast, blast beat and tremolo black metal in Eastern scales, the particular ones I've embedded are instrumental and take a more traditional sound.  Their subject matter typically includes general Mesopotamian lore including witchcraft and Cabalistic/Qliphotic themes as well as Sumerian, Babylonian, and Assyrian mythology.  During the 1990's they chose to flee Palestine due to the religious tumults in the region and pressure from both Judaic and Islamic populations and currently reside in Amsterdam.

• 3 years later...

Cool thread, good find; bumping it right back out of the netherworld because I was thinking of music and the craft a lot the other day. When it comes to trancing out and getting into desired states, certain rhythms and beats found in music can get me there. While I don't strictly require it, I've found that hooking onto a pattern that flows like a heartbeat helps to quicken me into the ecstatic state that I prefer, whether I'm doing a work or not. Sitting, swaying, rocking to the pulse...I lose myself in the Other easily like this, and it saves me a lot of cash as an alternative to flying ointments.

When it comes to working the work, I absolutely love mining song lyrics for use in spells. Last month I utilized A Perfect Circle's 'Vanishing' in the making of a hotfoot, and I'm currently turning around the lyrics of 'Weak and Powerless' by the same band for a nasty bit of shade I'll be throwing at the same recipient in the near future. I like writing my own spells if they are to involve words at all, but I glean a weird amount of fun out of turning popular lyrics around for my personal gain. The fun factor contributes to the overall energy of the work in my way about it, so I count it as a valuable resource.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Sometimes I use music, depending on my mood and the work depends on the style I use. Sometimes I use folk music, metal, Jazz, while others I'll use trance or meditative music. I prefer music from Europe with the exception of Buddhist chants and the Islamic call to prayer which I find beautiful. 

On 6/26/2011 at 8:48 PM, Babooshka said:

Interesting choice of song, personally, this would get on my wick if i was trying to concentrate lol.

I don't normally listen to music but if i do its normally a calm Kate Bush song (yes, her again :P) or a shamanic drumming app I downloaded on my ipod which is good to set the length of time for jouneying etc

I find Kate Bush so 'otherworldly' and haunting, and I am a huge fan so I can totally relate to this. I don't, however, use music in my workings as I am lucky enough to live in a place that overlooks the ocean and the waves rolling in and out is perfect for any workings I am performing. 

I just thought - Somewhere Inbetween the waxing and the waning waves...Kate Bush again. I worked with a lady who went to school with her and she said Kate was very quiet and thought outside the boxes, even back then.