• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 Raineylane

Raineylane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:40 PM

If I can figure out who did the music for Ravenshaw's Fire Poi video post, I will be using that for a while.  I loved it.

I love an Arabic/Celtic type of music.  Loreen McKinnett does this well, for me. 

Edit to add I just found it: Nightstep by Delhi2Dublin

I will probably be ordering this CD soon.

Edited by Raineylane, 18 March 2014 - 07:04 PM.

#42 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Poking not recommended

• Moderators
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:43 AM

Rainey - Found it! Check poi thread

RSKHFMY

#43 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:45 PM

Music is very foundational to my practice, I use it in lots of ways.  First way I learned was to create sigils with music instead of pictures and words - I would make my intention and hold it in mind while I played something random and repetitive (letting energy play through me instead of thinking what to play), and I would keep playing till I entered a trance and "charged" the sigil.

Many of my rituals now may consist of just a song.  Songs taught to you by a spirit ally can evoke or call upon that spirit.  When I want protection, I sing the song of that spirit who protects me ect....

I also use drumming for trance work - usually a live drum, but sometimes I use an mp3.  I have slowly been using this less and less though, and instead been using icaros lately.  I have a bunch of songs my shaman sang recorded, and they are very effective at helping me do journey work, or helping me meditate and process emotions.  

My friend owns an interesting gizmo, which we just call the "astral projection bed".  This bed comes with a few tracks that use binural beats along with some vedic root tones, and has the ability to send almost anyone out of body within a few minutes.  Besides the music it plays, it has 2 motors under the bed which vibrate the whole bed (and your body) to the same frequency as the music plays.  It works extremely well.  It is pricey though (I couldnt afford one personally).  http://www.lightbein...rg/sound-tables

#44 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:19 AM

Music is very foundational to my practice, I use it in lots of ways.  First way I learned was to create sigils with music instead of pictures and words - I would make my intention and hold it in mind while I played something random and repetitive (letting energy play through me instead of thinking what to play), and I would keep playing till I entered a trance and "charged" the sigil.

Many of my rituals now may consist of just a song.  Songs taught to you by a spirit ally can evoke or call upon that spirit.  When I want protection, I sing the song of that spirit who protects me ect....

I also use drumming for trance work - usually a live drum, but sometimes I use an mp3.  I have slowly been using this less and less though, and instead been using icaros lately.  I have a bunch of songs my shaman sang recorded, and they are very effective at helping me do journey work, or helping me meditate and process emotions.  

My friend owns an interesting gizmo, which we just call the "astral projection bed".  This bed comes with a few tracks that use binural beats along with some vedic root tones, and has the ability to send almost anyone out of body within a few minutes.  Besides the music it plays, it has 2 motors under the bed which vibrate the whole bed (and your body) to the same frequency as the music plays.  It works extremely well.  It is pricey though (I couldnt afford one personally).  http://www.lightbein...rg/sound-tables

Wow, thank you for this reply! Excellent contribution to this thread! :thumbsup:

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#45 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:06 AM

I would make my intention and hold it in mind while I played something random and repetitive (letting energy play through me instead of thinking what to play), and I would keep playing till I entered a trance and "charged" the sigil.

This speaks to me.  I use song, usually the same tune for casting the same things.  Its just something I have always done.  I have since studied some native american techniques and this song component was a major part of the tribe's traditions.  In that tradition I studied, the plants teach you the songs to evoke the plant spirit, if you are worthy and have earned its respect, and they, the plant spirits themselves, teach you how to use the plant to heal or to harm, whatever is needed by the tribe. 

#46 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:55 PM

That sounds similar to my experience.  Actually - I see that as a common factor within plant spirit based traditions and shamanic style traditions - song is usually a big focus in some ways.  The style of music varies greatly, but there is usually music involved.  Dancing, chanting, drumming, didgeridoo, singing....  Takes lots of forms!  

Actually - my avatar is a sacred plant medicine song - the Shipibos who made it (it is a pic of a woven cloth) are the only known tribe who draws their songs, and this particular song is in the shape of the heart of an Ayahuasca vine.  The anthropologist who discovered that Shipibos draw their own songs watched two ladies make an original painted vase (no two ever look alike).  The women never looked at what the other women painted, but just sang a song together and painted the song as they sung it.  Their geometric patterns matched up perfectly by the end of the piece!  

So they even go as far to weave their plant medicine songs into clothing which they wear for protection ect....

Edited by travsha, 26 March 2014 - 02:56 PM.

#47 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:08 PM

That sounds similar to my experience.  Actually - I see that as a common factor within plant spirit based traditions and shamanic style traditions - song is usually a big focus in some ways.  The style of music varies greatly, but there is usually music involved.  Dancing, chanting, drumming, didgeridoo, singing....  Takes lots of forms!  

Actually - my avatar is a sacred plant medicine song - the Shipibos who made it (it is a pic of a woven cloth) are the only known tribe who draws their songs, and this particular song is in the shape of the heart of an Ayahuasca vine.  The anthropologist who discovered that Shipibos draw their own songs watched two ladies make an original painted vase (no two ever look alike).  The women never looked at what the other women painted, but just sang a song together and painted the song as they sung it.  Their geometric patterns matched up perfectly by the end of the piece!  

So they even go as far to weave their plant medicine songs into clothing which they wear for protection ect....

That is pretty awesome. 

#48 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:52 PM

Heck yeah.

I think gaining more balance/workability between left and right brain is one way of looking at it - the math of music appeals to left brain most - not sure it quells/silences left for all people - but I think it does make the switch from left to right for some. I don't always use music for a sedate state of mind when I'm doing spells; that definitely wasn't the aim when I was listening to the b-52's lol. What music certainly does for many is induce mood changes, and that can be valuable when your goal is to make something work but there's a dog barking in the next yard or a siren passing by. Some people can work with/around those sounds, but I find them ten times more distracting than songs which in many cases the changes are predictable. Perhaps repetition also plays a part - the repeated message of the music and/or lyrics.

Theta state also comes to mind. I think this is a thread in itself - brain states and spellwork in general. For those wanting a somewhat decent read on brain states,
here's one. Theta is associated with trance, meditation, memory-making. Sometimes associated with 'just before sleep' when you have those eye-poppingly good ideas because you are relaxed, etc.. I'm sure it varies for all and always with respect to the intent of the spell OR other work! When I think about it now, I almost NEVER do any form of divination without music while it's about 60/40 music/non-music when it comes to spells for me.

THIS!

There is credible research that certain types of music and sounds (like binaural beats) can activate both hemispheres and/or help you reach theta. Actually more than just theta; alpha, beta, delta (thank god for this bc it's the only way I can actually fall asleep after years of insomnia) and maybe even gamma. I haven't done the research yet on gamma yet. 

I can use just my breath and visualization for meditation, but sometimes I use a plethora of different music specifically designed for meditation and/or helping you reach certain brainwave states. I experiment w/new ones all the time. Sometimes it's shamanic type music (drumming, etc.) and other times it's geared towards binaural beats, and still other times it's other types of instrumental music designed for meditation (like flutes, singing bowls, etc.). I raise a lot of energy for my work using meditation. 

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#49 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,002 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:36 PM

I find this greatly motivational during the planning stage (or thinking stage), or even to get up off  my ass and clean the house, lol.  For anyone unfamiliar with the piece you need to listen all the way through as it builds upon itself.

M

#50 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:34 PM

I trance out to music all the time, not necessarily during a working but just to get my head into a droning state of mind.  A few notable bands in particular that are also notably witchy:

Runemagick --Swedish doom (very very dark doom, if you can find a song called "Witchcraft Gateways" it will blow your mind)

Wold --Canadian black/noise...not for the squeamish listener.  A lot of notable traditional witchcraft if you look up the lyrics on some of their older albums

Melechesh --Mesopotamian black metal, originally from Palestine

Satyricon --Norwegian black/doom they're just awesome to drone out to

Omega Massif --German instrumental post-metal

Ulver --Norwegian experimental music collective, electronica/black metal/goth rock

Isis --Panopticon album and a lot more post-metal

Way too many to list here.  A lot of DSBM (depressive black metal) too which is specifically designed to help you "drone out"

Also on some days I throw on Native American cedar flute music

Edited by Capsicum, 04 August 2014 - 11:44 PM.

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#51 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:39 PM

I'm using music all the time, could be anything really, as long as the tunes contribute to (or start from) the significantness of the things I'm working on at any given moment.

A tune of actual importance these days:

https://www.youtube....h?v=11rchzXPU6g

Edited by Horne, 13 August 2014 - 04:09 PM.

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

forgetfulness is fleeting.”

#52 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:04 PM

I find this greatly motivational during the planning stage (or thinking stage), or even to get up off  my ass and clean the house, lol.  For anyone unfamiliar with the piece you need to listen all the way through as it builds upon itself.

M

That's one of my all time favourites Michele! You're in for a treat if you haven't yet seen the movie that was made for the entire Carmina Burana in 1975, directed by Jean-Pierre Ponelle: 

And did you know Carmina Burana is just the first part of a trilogy? The other parts are Catulli Carmina and Trionfo di Afrodite, I just discovered that about six months ago.

Edited by Horne, 13 August 2014 - 04:08 PM.

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

#53 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:49 PM

Should I add: "Fuck Yeah!?"

Edited by Horne, 18 August 2014 - 07:49 PM.

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

#54 SachaX

SachaX

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:05 AM

Electro Tance. Nice.

F--- rock & roll; electro forever!

But seriously...Ignore the new-age stuff you've read.

If the magick you are casting is important enough to you, you don't need to drag a generator out to the middle of the forest and hope it has enough gas in it so that you can get in the proper mental state to do magic. I know there are newer ways of providing charge to an iphone these days, but seriously, it's too much to worry about when you just got to get things done.

I know you are not casting spells in the deep forest, but you seriously don't need to bring anything other than your personal conflictions when trying to accomplish a magical feat.

Music is nice to have around, but the ancients didn't have boomboxes and they did just fine.

I bring a drum, my voice, and the voices of my mates and their drums when I have something important to do. 

With time: weapons of war disintegrate, the hand drops the pen, but Magick will always be. ~ Me

#55 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:56 AM

Some of us do cast spells in the deep forest ;)

I tend to agree with you for the most part, Alex1

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#56 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:54 PM

Electro Tance. Nice.

F--- rock & roll; electro forever!

But seriously...Ignore the new-age stuff you've read.

If the magick you are casting is important enough to you, you don't need to drag a generator out to the middle of the forest and hope it has enough gas in it so that you can get in the proper mental state to do magic. I know there are newer ways of providing charge to an iphone these days, but seriously, it's too much to worry about when you just got to get things done.

I know you are not casting spells in the deep forest, but you seriously don't need to bring anything other than your personal conflictions when trying to accomplish a magical feat.

Music is nice to have around, but the ancients didn't have boomboxes and they did just fine.

I bring a drum, my voice, and the voices of my mates and their drums when I have something important to do. 

I'm sure you are aware, Alex, but most members on this site are not beginners and they are aware of how magic works and how to cast it, and they are aware of what they need to get the job done - which may or may not be different than what you need to get the job done.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#57 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:00 PM

Damn, I feel left out !!!

I don't use music at all when I cast. I would find that very distracting.

I do have some ritualistic verses that might sound like 'music' when spoken aloud -- taking on a chanty, sing-song vibe. 

I've discovered that my 'zone' is actually a trance state that my mind slips into on its own without external stimuli (music)

Although, having attended an ancient tribal dance (blindfolded, yes... blindfolded) and dancing for 90 minutes straight, I can see how music helps raise energy. Exhausting, tho'. 

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#58 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:46 PM

LOL Generators and boomboxes? What about an MP3 player and some earplugs? So much easier to carry around. :wink: But seriously, I only use music indoors, outside I tend to just listen to the sounds of my surroundings.

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

#59 SachaX

SachaX

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:10 PM

I'm sure you are aware, Alex, but most members on this site are not beginners and they are aware of how magic works and how to cast it, and they are aware of what they need to get the job done - which may or may not be different than what you need to get the job done.

================

I'm a sucker for the old ways, what can I say! I have tried music before but it is too distracting unless it is just a rhythmic drum loop.

Damn, I feel left out !!!

I don't use music at all when I cast. I would find that very distracting.

I do have some ritualistic verses that might sound like 'music' when spoken aloud -- taking on a chanty, sing-song vibe. 

I've discovered that my 'zone' is actually a trance state that my mind slips into on its own without external stimuli (music)

Although, having attended an ancient tribal dance (blindfolded, yes... blindfolded) and dancing for 90 minutes straight, I can see how music helps raise energy. Exhausting, tho'. 

===========

Sounds like we have some things in common.

What bugs me is when someone says they want to do a spell and then we all hold hands and meditate while some bi-neural beats are coming from speakers. Sitting quietly and meditating doesn't do it for me. I prefer to be more active and vocal.

LOL Generators and boomboxes? What about an MP3 player and some earplugs? So much easier to carry around. :wink: But seriously, I only use music indoors, outside I tend to just listen to the sounds of my surroundings.

============

lol, I know that was a funny mental picture to paint. Most of the time getting music going is too much of a hassle out in the woods anyway. Hope I charged my batteries.

With time: weapons of war disintegrate, the hand drops the pen, but Magick will always be. ~ Me

#60 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:36 AM

Okay, so another indoors big time favourite of mine:

“Awake becomes
what once was known,