• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Oakbuchanan

Oakbuchanan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:28 PM

Do you use music in your working's? Or to enter certain states?

I use various stuff.. One album I have used alot is Tiestos 'Elements of Life' to get into a certain zone. This is my favourite track from the album.. Would be interested to hear what others use.. Hopefully get some good pointers too.. :)

Tiesto: Bright Morning Star

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYv0AIUBlO0&feature=related[/media]

#2 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:16 PM

Personally, no I haven't. What I incorporate is the sounds around myself. I can fully understand that while you live in such a huge bustling city, that you would consider and practice music as an elemental force for you to immerse yourself in. I use the sounds of nature at day or night. The sound of the waves against the shore, the call of the Loons, or the owls hooting, and the wolves, frogs calling to each other. I also love the sound of wind whispers in the trees. That to me is a song too. If I'm working at night, and have a candle the light of it draws insects to the screen, their frantic dance to come to the light is a musical additive to my workings.

Regards,
Gypsy

p.s. : I liked your choice of song, it would be something I would Hoola-Hoop to. lol !

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#3 Oakbuchanan

Oakbuchanan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:22 PM

Sounds lovely, where you live..

I also love listening to the wind in the trees and the ocean waves (on my headphones of course lol )

#4 Oakbuchanan

Oakbuchanan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:26 PM

p.s. : I liked your choice of song, it would be something I would Hoola-Hoop to. lol !

Ah thanks Gypsy, you devil ya! Dont think Im gonna be able to use that now, with those visuals goin on.. Should have known better than to share this on on here! LMAO

#5 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:39 PM

I can't use music ... I start humming along, even to an instrumental, get caught up in the music & forget what I'm doing. When I lived in the city, I had a CD of ocean sounds that I put on. Now I don't need it to mask outside noises. Like CG, I have real nature ... minus the waves since I don't live close to that much water.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#6 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:44 PM

I havn't used music and doubt that I will (I don't even have a music player in the house, lol). I have been in celebratory circle/gatherings with others and we've used music, but not for actual workings that I can think of. My house is very quiet with only the house-sounds in it and I recognize them and find them comforting. My workings, although a few are done loudly and commandingly, most charms are "woven" into things in a kind of crazy-woman-muttering-to-herself way and music for me would be very distracting from that zone where my crazy-mutterings and I become one deep ongoing thread. Sometimes the silence can become so loud - louder than any music - and pulls me more into a zone than music would. I can hear my own breathing and my heart pounding, and my breath hissing as it connects with serpent energy. I like that sound :-) (Hissing is fun and works great on kids throwing temper tantrums. Shuts them right up. Try hissing at some kid screaming in a store and they just stop mid scream and stare with their mouth still hanging open... the adult will usually say somethign nasty to you, though.)

M

#7 Babooshka

Babooshka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:48 PM

Do you use music in your working's? Or to enter certain states?

I use various stuff.. One album I have used alot is Tiestos 'Elements of Life' to get into a certain zone. This is my favourite track from the album.. Would be interested to hear what others use.. Hopefully get some good pointers too.. :)

Tiesto: Bright Morning Star

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYv0AIUBlO0&feature=related[/media]

Interesting choice of song, personally, this would get on my wick if i was trying to concentrate lol.

I don't normally listen to music but if i do its normally a calm Kate Bush song (yes, her again :P) or a shamanic drumming app I downloaded on my ipod which is good to set the length of time for jouneying etc

Here to discuss, debate, listen and learn.

#8 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:53 PM

I havn't used music and doubt that I will (I don't even have a music player in the house, lol). My house is very quiet with only the house-sounds in it and I recognize them and find them comforting. My workings, although a few are done loudly and commandingly, most charms are "woven" into things in a kind of crazy-woman-muttering-to-herself way and music for me would be very distracting from that zone where my crazy-mutterings and I become one deep ongoing thread.

M

I really like this, and not it's not crazy, as I've been toying with the idea of a " Soul-Song ". For a while now, I loved how Winter Night said it's like a lullabye, it's not singing for the songs sake, it's singing within the song, and becomming the song. One made in a chanting, unique to ones own self with words or tunes identifying themselves to the orchestrator of the song. The Witch taps into the melody and the melody becomes the heart beat of the Witch. I could go ON forever with this... it's been gnawing at me ! lol !

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#9 Gramayr

Gramayr

'Mysterio'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:53 PM

Just flicking through youtube (as I always do after watching a link) and rediscovered 'The Orb' - will have to get some cd's now as only have vinyl

Cheers Oak :beerchug:

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." - Albert Einstein

#10 Guest_MissTree_*

Guest_MissTree_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:09 PM

I'm a bit jealous of those of you who live in the country, away from the "glorious" sounds of the city. :-D
A couple CDs I like to listen to while working:
(depending on what I'm working on *grin*, and in no particular order.)
Rob Zombie - HellBilly Deluxe
Norah Jones - Come Away With Me
Various Artists - Sounds of the 70s cd

#11 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:17 PM

Music is my thing. It sends me, I can be gone for hours sometimes in a trance. Couldn't be without it. I find it easier to fall into a trance like state with music more than I can without it. Will listen to the video later when I am not so busy.

#12 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:28 PM

I've not used external music in workings, never really thought to. I have sung before though but that's just me I think :red_witch:

#13 Oakbuchanan

Oakbuchanan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:30 PM

Interesting choice of song, personally, this would get on my wick if i was trying to concentrate lol.

Oh god me too lol No I sometimes use music like this to enter a certain (magickal) state, not to concentrate..(unless I'm concentrating on the music of course, and only that ;)

No I didnt include music Ive used in workings.. But have various works of classical music and have built up more and more energy and intent then thrown it out there at climatic parts of the piece..lol to great effect.. but I have also used other music too from metal to jazz to hit different situations or targets in different sometimes amusing ways..

I was thinking actually that this has developed into what sounds folks listen aswell to that aren't music.. I didnt mention, but I sometimes close my eyes in the city and listen to the traffic passing.. sounds like ocean waves to me, very relaxing amidst the hustle and bustle..

#14 Freki

Freki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:32 PM

I havn't used music and doubt that I will (I don't even have a music player in the house, lol). I have been in celebratory circle/gatherings with others and we've used music, but not for actual workings that I can think of. My house is very quiet with only the house-sounds in it and I recognize them and find them comforting. My workings, although a few are done loudly and commandingly, most charms are "woven" into things in a kind of crazy-woman-muttering-to-herself way and music for me would be very distracting from that zone where my crazy-mutterings and I become one deep ongoing thread. Sometimes the silence can become so loud - louder than any music - and pulls me more into a zone than music would. I can hear my own breathing and my heart pounding, and my breath hissing as it connects with serpent energy. I like that sound :-) (Hissing is fun and works great on kids throwing temper tantrums. Shuts them right up. Try hissing at some kid screaming in a store and they just stop mid scream and stare with their mouth still hanging open... the adult will usually say somethign nasty to you, though.)

M

You know... I love music, but I don't use music in my workings either (well not others music anyway). I'll use my own sounds (humming, muttering, and I play a few instruments). I have used the white noise of a box fan also. I find that combined with my own muttering creates a deep droning that drowns out anything else.

~ Freki

~ Listen to them, the children of the night. What sweet music they make! ~
Bram Stoker's Dracula

#15 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:53 PM

One might assume that since I am an auditory person, that music would be appealing to me in magical workings; however, the opposite is true. I am so sensitive to sound, that even the most innocent sounds grate on my nerves. I love to listen to music in general, but not if I'm concentrating, which means no music when doing or grading homework, meditating, etc.. I also can't listen to more than one thing at a time, so no TV - fomputer - conversation situations for me. The kind of music or sound isn't as important as the pitch. I love everything from easy listening to thrash metal, provided it doesn't hit that certain pitch that makes me want to rip someone's vocal cords out.

#16 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:19 PM

You know... I love music, but I don't use music in my workings either (well not others music anyway). I'll use my own sounds (humming, muttering, and I play a few instruments). I have used the white noise of a box fan also. I find that combined with my own muttering creates a deep droning that drowns out anything else.

~ Freki

I have used a tin whistle for an invocation, but a very, very short one... but it was somethign i played myself rather than constant music during a whole ritual. I usually have the AC on, lol, so I suppose that is white noise (window units).

M

#17 LdyShalott

LdyShalott

NecRomancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:41 PM

I dont use music specifically for my workings; I am one of the fortunate ones who lives in the middle of nowhere and have the sounds of nature around. I do however listen to music to make the transition from a busy day at work. It settles my mind and brings me back to center.. Some artists... Carlos Nakai, Vas, Loreena McKennitt, Wolfstone, Vivalidi. Yo Yo Ma playing the Elgar Cello Concerto enraptures me...

Not very witchy... but a glass of vino and this.. suits me perfectly..

Most witches don’t believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.  T.P.

In order to understand the living.. you have to commune with the dead..
You are a tiny little soul carrying around a corpse.-- Epictetus
All experience is an arch wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move.

#18 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:08 AM

I dont use music specifically for my workings; I am one of the fortunate ones who lives in the middle of nowhere and have the sounds of nature around. I do however listen to music to make the transition from a busy day at work. It settles my mind and brings me back to center.. Some artists... Carlos Nakai, Vas, Loreena McKennitt, Wolfstone, Vivalidi. Yo Yo Ma playing the Elgar Cello Concerto enraptures me...

Not very witchy... but a glass of vino and this.. suits me perfectly..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXuQceF2_Ds&feature=related

Ah Yo Yo Ma, what can anyone add to this? Did you now his name has several meanings including "Happy Horse"?
FFFF
Elf

#19 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:25 AM

I don't normally listen to music but if i do its normally a calm Kate Bush song (yes, her again :P) or a shamanic drumming app I downloaded on my ipod which is good to set the length of time for jouneying etc

Babookshka - Kate Bush, like it, tee hee

Big problem for me with the music thingie. If I chose my faves, as I likely would, I know "What is Life?" G. Harrison, "Itchykoo Park" Small Faces, "Paper Sun" Traffic and all would keep me well entrenched in the here and now with waves of nostalgia. If using one of my favourite singers like Paula Cole, Tori Amos, Kate Bush, Lorrena KcKinnet, Aretha Franklyn, Ikubus Sukkubus(lady vocal), Heather Nova, Natascha Atass Melissa Etheridge well then I would probably be in tears. If not using faves then it would be uninspiring. I am one of those who needs quiet and solitude.
But I hope yours works for you.
FFFF
Elf

#20 ejfinch

ejfinch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:13 PM

I've never used music in a working before, but I am definately intrigued by the idea, Oak. I tend to get "answers" via snippets of lyrics suddenly popping into my head and I am easily transported via music, so it would make a lot of sense. However, like Jevne, I can be a bit hyper-sensitive to extraneous noise, so I'm thinking it would have to be a very carefully chosen piece of music to make it work. You have really piqued my interest with this, though. Hmmmm