* * * * * 1 votes

The World Tree

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:40 AM

I had the good fortune to hear a programme aired on the Public Broadcast System (PBS) the other morning. The show was concerning a scientist working in the Amazon Basin who had met up with local shamanistic practitioners and was trying to understand their praxis and experiences. This person then went into a long narrative regarding the locals own view of a "World Tree" (Axis Mundi) and how he was given certain herbs/brews to facilitate a "journey" of vision and discovery. What he said was basically a vision not only OF the the Axis Mundi but how he "shrank" to microscopic size and viewed the component parts of leaves, flowers, bark and all and "felt" their inner workings and energy. There was far more to this, more than I was able to take in but one thing I do recall was his actual vision of the tree stretching "down" into underworld and "up" into divinity.

What the scientist took from this was a new respect for the shamanic peoples and their way and also a new look on life itself. As a non-spiritual person when entering this exercise he came out with a strong belief in an afterlife and something bigger than all of us.

This is something that begs to be experienced, the picture he painted was so alluring and echoed similar beliefs from all over the World. There are people here on this site who I am sure can add to this topic, I would be very eager to hear your input and any personal experiences should they be pertinent.

FFFF
Elf

#2 Freki

Freki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:51 AM

Was it ayahuasca he was given by the shamans? I've actually been hearing about ayahuasca a lot lately. My husband and I had a friend who went on an 'ayahuasca retreat'. I'm really not sure how legitimate it was, but she said her and everyone in the group came back changed. She said it was incredible and horrifying at the same time.

I'd be very interested to hear from someone who knows more about the subject!

~ Freki

~ Listen to them, the children of the night. What sweet music they make! ~
Bram Stoker's Dracula

#3 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2011 - 04:21 PM

Freki-
I do not recall what the substance was, I shall try to access the archives sometime to determine this. What is this "ayahuasca" you speak of?
FFFF
Elf

#4 Vermilion

Vermilion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 04:40 PM

I believe it's a South American concoction, made of different plants' parts (each is nothing very special on it's own), that combined, creates a psychadelic liquid with cleansing and other medicinal properties.
I am my own Keeper; my own Sower, my own Reaper.
~ V ~

#5 Guest_MissTree_*

Guest_MissTree_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:49 PM

Did a quick google search and found this.

Ayahuasca (ayawaska pronounced [ajaˈwaska] in the Quechua language) is any of various psychoactive infusions or decoctions prepared from the Banisteriopsis spp. vine, usually mixed with the leaves of dimethyltryptamine-containing species of shrubs from the Psychotria genus. The brew, first described academically in the early 1950s by Harvard ethnobotanist Richard Evans Schultes, who found it employed for divinatory and healing purposes by the native peoples of the Amazonian Colombia, is known by a number of different names (see below). A notable property of ayahuasca is that neither of the ingredients cause any significant psychedelic effects when imbibed alone; they must be consumed together in order to have the desired effect. How indigenous peoples discovered the psychedelic properties of the ayahuasca brew remains unknown.[1]

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayahuasca .

#6 Blyss

Blyss

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:32 PM

I don't know if anyone has posted on this before, but Dale Pendell has written several really cool books on plant pharmacology and various uses to expand the mind/consciousness. I've read them all and have to say the guy is really experienced and knows what is he talking about. He isn't afraid to try anything and gives recipes and ways to prepare the plants. One of the books is called: Pharmako/Poeia, Plant Powers, Poisons and Herbcraft. I thinnk it's in this book that he mentions ayahuasca and his experiences with it. All three of his books in the "Pharmako" series are on my serious wish list with Amazon.

Edited by Blyss, 23 June 2011 - 07:37 PM.

Even in tragedy, there is a certain kind of beauty, a certain kind of magic that exists outside of our pain.

#7 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:26 AM

What the scientist took from this was a new respect for the shamanic peoples and their way and also a new look on life itself. As a non-spiritual person when entering this exercise he came out with a strong belief in an afterlife and something bigger than all of us.

This is something that begs to be experienced, the picture he painted was so alluring and echoed similar beliefs from all over the World. There are people here on this site who I am sure can add to this topic, I would be very eager to hear your input and any personal experiences should they be pertinent.

FFFF
Elf

What I found that piqued my interest is Axis Mundi, " Axle of the World. " Ancient cosmologies pictured the earth as a globe spinning on a shaft with the ends faened at the celestial poles. The Axis Mundi penetrated the earth at it center, hence it was usually associated with the cosmic lingam or male principle. Each nation placed this "hub" or "navel" at the center of its own territory. Now when you reflect upon the use of a word like "navel " that translates of Latin, umblicicus, the navel or hub of the world you could center on the Goddess body, a source of all things. As every great ancient nation regarded its own version of the Great Mother as the cosmic spirit, so its own capital or chief temple was located at the center of the earth, marked by the stone omphalos that concentrated the Mother's essence. X-tian theologians were amply supplied with the kind of hubris that made men call their own home place and center of the earth, their own lifetimes the ultimate end of time, their own religion, the only permissible one, and their own selves the focal point of the cosmic drama of good and evil. If man couldn't think of himself as somehow vitally connected with the omphalos , his world view was threatened. Such a threat underlay the church's opposition to the discoveries of Galileo, which tended to prove that the earth WAS NOT the center of their God's universe, another scientist. Interesting to see that, this film, Sir Elf, with it's scientists are giving shamans some respect for their Arte, imho.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#8 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:41 AM

Gypsy girl,
To clarify, the show was a NPR one, therefore a radio transmission. I have continued to be frustrated by not being able to locate the show from the archives, my contacts at NPR have not come through as yet.
FFFF
Elf

#9 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:13 AM

Gypsy girl,
To clarify, the show was a NPR one, therefore a radio transmission. I have continued to be frustrated by not being able to locate the show from the archives, my contacts at NPR have not come through as yet.
FFFF
Elf

My darlin' the " message" is still the same. I believe you.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1