Sign in to follow this  
Stacey

What is your favourite deck?

If I had posted here a week ago, my answer would have been Deviant Moon...but I was Christmas shopping at Barnes and Noble a couple of days ago and I stumbled upon a Hobbit tarot deck - and it has fast become my favorite! The artwork is beautiful and it's quite helpful for a novice tarot reader like myself to be familiar with the characters and scenes depicted on the cards - it adds some depth to my readings. I'm absolutely in love with this deck!

It tends to vary from year to year. Currently I would have to say the Mary El. It's taken me some time to make friends with this deck but it is great for spell work as well as serious readings, I do not find that it reads well for romantic issues because it's a little dark for that, but it is wonderful for those important readings albeit the images can be a bit shocking for clients.

Edited by CrowMusings

I use a few different decks. My favorite is an old deck (don't know what it's called) It was a gift from someone very special. I wont photograph it for here but it's very pretty and in french. I use it only for a type of communication with the gifter. My other decks are a bit varied.

The enchanted tarot- I love this deck for its imagery and usually use it for readings of emotional/love related issues. Mostly it us used as a bit of a meditation tool as I can stare at the cards for hours. The book that came with it and the meanings for the cards within would have been tossed if I didn't cut it up for art projects instead, for the full page images of the cards inside. The lady that designed the deck is an amazing artist for creating such beauty but seriously is in need of one bad day. A bit of knowledge is needed to get past the overtly sunny images at times. but again overall it's so gorgeous.

Tarot Nova- I love love love this deck. It is probably the most used deck I own. I adore the simple images and they resonate with me very deeply. They can be tricky to shuffle, and as I love shuffling my decks, is a bit of a bummer. The back of the cards are really pretty as well and I am a huge fan of the back of a card being a piece of art in itself.

Albano-Waite- Pretty good deck. I bought it when I was first learning. I wanted it because it was a more colorful RW deck than the original. But I kinda wish I had just a regular RW now I think the dullness of color is actually more appealing. Also I hate the back of the cards.

Cats Eye- I adore this deck. One of my very best friends bought it for me while on vacation in P-Town, and at first I thought it would be kinda silly and useless. I was so wrong! this deck really captures the essence of my feline comrades. I also love how different feline prey is attached to the different suits, mice for pentacles, fish for cups etc. I was really glad it was not a silly or cartoony deck. I love how meaningful and frivolous it can be all at once. the back of the cards are fairly cute as well.

full view

Enchanted

Nova

Cats Eye

I use a few different decks. My favorite is an old deck (don't know what it's called) It was a gift from someone very special. I wont photograph it for here but it's very pretty and in french. I use it only for a type of communication with the gifter. My other decks are a bit varied.

I'm interested in why you have chosen not to photograph it (interested, not judgemental, privacy of course is at the centre of what we do). Is it the sharing aspect or the physical act of photographing the deck that you would prefer not to do? 

I'm interested in why you have chosen not to photograph it (interested, not judgemental, privacy of course is at the centre of what we do). Is it the sharing aspect or the physical act of photographing the deck that you would prefer not to do? 

Its honestly nothing sacred or something like that I just like that its for my eyes only. As much as it may seem I share, there is usually twice as much I'm not. :thumbsup:

Davenport, I have the tarot nova as well and I use it as my main deck.  :thumbsup: I love the size as my hands are very tiny and I find it actually easier to shuffle than a full sized deck. 

Davenport, I have the tarot nova as well and I use it as my main deck.  :thumbsup: I love the size as my hands are very tiny and I find it actually easier to shuffle than a full sized deck. 

I have short fat little hands. its very attractive. I usually have to split the deck in half in order to get a nice riffle shuffle to em. The whole deck together does not give me enough leverage to bend them. I have started using a Hindu shuffle for them and that works well :biggrin: My Enchanted tarot deck is so beautiful but way way to big, I can barely get my fingers round em to shuffle.

Edited by Davenport

My mom went on a tarot deck buying kick for me one time. She bought me the Rider-Waite deck, a Goddess deck and some Faerie Oracle deck. Thankfully she stopped, because I never connected with purchased tarot cards. I made my own version a few years ago that fit my hands (I also have really small hands) and am planning another set right now.

Right now I am using the Halloween Tarot deck and I love it. Although I have many decks I seem to go through phases where I use just one. This Hallowween deck is whimsical and fun.

I also work with runes occasionally, but they are more work for me.

I have the Halloween deck, too.  I love all things Halloween, so this deck really spoke to me.  Now, if I can just get the hang of reading them...

My Hanson-Roberts deck. We just have a lovely relationship!

Edit: wrong deck!

Edited by OpheliaRose

I own a huge number of decks, but most of them are simply part of my collection and not in use. Many of my decks are signed, and some are quite rare. The deck I personally use is the Deviant Moon. I find it fits perfectly with who I am, and where I have been.

So far the Deviant Moon is my favorite Tarot deck for similar reasons. The facial images speak to me in that they embody both the light and dark, which is something near and dear to my personality. I also pay attention to the moon phases...I find them to be helpful suggestions on how to time my workings.

My new favorite is the Wildwood. I've seen the Deviant Moon. It looks really cool. I love the art!

I have used different Tarot and other cards. I guess I must be boring because the one I still like best has got to be my Rider-Waite. What can I say, it was my first deck and I have a good connection with it. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I have the Rider-Waite deck. It was my first deck and I really felt no connection with it at all, so I gifted them to my daughter to learn. (via the handy guide) I am learning still about the tarot, was something I was never introduced to so just never thought to do it, life happened. I have recently gotten the sacred sites tarot and love it, although will need to relearn some of the deck.. lol. Hubby also got me the ghosts and spirits tarot which I also adore, but have yet to use. I'm a newbie to the tarot so what do I know? Pretty pictures to me. lol. My son, on the other hand is quite an old pro so I found out when he saw my cards, not sure why he never told me, but I'm thrilled to say the least, since I never even mentioned them. Apparently one of his video games has a pretty unique deck that is next to impossible to get here and it peeked his interest. Its great to have a teacher now though.

I'm yet to find a deck I like. I have a Rider-Waite deck, but feel no connection to it and find the art clunky. I also have this awful goth no-name tarot deck I found on ebay yeaaars ago, it's just so cheesy. I think that if I had a deck that I liked, I might be more inclined to practice and learn about tarot, but until then I use other forms of divination.

I love tarot but struggle to find a deck that I like completely. A few months ago I got the Oracle of Shadow and Light and I'm really enjoying that its so spot on!

Over the past 3 decades, I have collected many decks and I can work with most decks. My first deck is also Rider Waite Deck which is still with me till today however I retired this deck long time ago. For past 15 years, my main working deck has been the Nigel Jackson Tarot although sometimes I will use other decks if I feel they are more suitable for my need or issue. Personally I feel the connection with a particular deck is more important than whether it is your favourite deck because you must be able to manoeuvre it well as a tool. In my opinion and experience working with Tarot, not all decks are good for all matters; some are better with regards to certain issues and context. Nigel Jackson is good be it pertaining to Mundane or Spiritual matters so makes it a very versatile deck.

I love tarot but struggle to find a deck that I like completely. A few months ago I got the Oracle of Shadow and Light and I'm really enjoying that its so spot on!

____

I know what you mean. Every deck, I don't like something about it. The closest overall like for me is the Druidcraft, but there are a number of things I don't like about it....so, I digitally altered the deck. Now I have a deck I completely like. I use it for every type of reading, and I get good results with it. Here are some examples, with the original for comparison.

post-1114-0-53846500-1435158616_thumb.jpg

post-1114-0-71866800-1435158625_thumb.jpg

post-1114-0-19083000-1435158666_thumb.jpg

post-1114-0-15511400-1435158834_thumb.jpg

post-1114-0-44065900-1435158855_thumb.jpg

post-1114-0-38640100-1435158920_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

My two favorite to work it is the Tarot de Marseille in general, and in particular the Hadar and Grimaud decks. These are the ones that I have been drawn to when I started studying tarot, I've been using them for a long time and the images and I have been in dialogue for a while.

I also enjoy the Thoth Tarot (Oracle des Dames) by Etteilla, which I find very useful for quick, un-complicated readings, as I find the signifiers on the cards incredibly accurate.

I also have other decks that I do not use much, mostly because I have never had the time to sit down and properly figure them out.

____

I know what you mean. Every deck, I don't like something about it. The closest overall like for me is the Druidcraft, but there are a number of things I don't like about it....so, I digitally altered the deck. Now I have a deck I completely like. I use it for every type of reading, and I get good results with it. Here are some examples, with the original for comparison.

a fantastic job you have done and what a clever idea..... i wonder whether we struggle bcs we should be creating our own. what do you think about the wildwood tarot?

Edited by bronzewolf

a fantastic job you have done and what a clever idea..... i wonder whether we struggle bcs we should be creating our own. what do you think about the wildwood tarot?

_________

Thanks! Now when a card comes up, I'm not like "ugh, there's that guy with the super huge feet or the woman with huge hands", and what not.

I haven't looked at the whole deck you mentioned, and so I can't really comment on it. I have heard though that a lot of people like it.

• Upvote 1

Sign in to follow this