Stacey

What is your favourite deck?

Guest NatureMama

My first and favorite is Paulina Tarot, love this deck! My young daughter loves it too and wants her own deck, which I'll get her when she's a bit older. 

I picked it out myself. I took quite a long time deliberating over a few different decks but in the end I connected the most with the Paulina Tarot. I just love the whimsical artwork. It really speaks to me and feels so open to interpretation.  The deck feels really good to me and we got on together well right from the start even through I had no idea what I was doing. I'm still slowly learning but the cards are always right on the money, very accurate and I can understand what they are saying to me. 

Reading through the entire thread, I only saw one mention of my personal favorite deck, the Herbal Tarot. A RWS clone with plants. My first deck was the Scapini. I rarely work with it because it seems like a jerk. The artwork is appealing, and the humor included in the cards is clever, but the personality is lacking in tact, so to speak. Whereas the Herbal Tarot might say something like “you seem to be struggling to control your anger”, the Scapini might say “you are a bitch, you have always been a bitch, and you will always be a bitch”. ???? I have the CBD Marseille, and one of these days will dive into learning how to read with it.

It was really interesting to read about others’ favorite decks, and experiences with them.

• Like 1

Lol! And yet those are the exact reasons I will always love my Scapini deck.

Lol! Brutally honest is often best. ????

I use three - The Medieval Scapini, Golden Tarot by Kat Black and the basic RW.

I just received the Golden Tarot as my first deck to work with (new to the craft). If anyone here doesn’t mind me piggybacking ,would you or anyone else here who works with it like to share a bit about your experience with it? I’d very much appreciate having an example of how a a deck has a certain way of communicating, as it seems all of you read each deck differently

Edited by FancyShadowCat

Sure.  I'll do my best.

The Golden Tarot by Kat Black has always been a reading that is "soft" and "nurturing" for lack of better words.  I feel like messages with that deck come across "nicer" and not so forceful or bluntly.  There is a time for blunt, but there are times for soft, too.  I'm drawn to it for that reason, but it's not my main deck.  I love the imagery and the art and, of course, the gold foiled sides. :)

My main deck at this point is the traditional Rider Waite.  Never thought I'd say that because I avoided it for years, but for clean and clear messages and info the Rider Waite is my go-to.

Medieval Scapini is a favorite.  It is the deck I learned on whilst avoiding the Rider Waite.  I love that it's based on the Marseille Tarot.  Eventually I dipped into Marseille Tarot readings with traditional MT decks.  Great rabbit hole.  I've used some of the readings for professional venues and people love it.  

Sure. I'll do my best.

The Golden Tarot by Kat Black has always been a reading that is "soft" and "nurturing" for lack of better words. I feel like messages with that deck come across "nicer" and not so forceful or bluntly. There is a time for blunt, but there are times for soft, too. I'm drawn to it for that reason, but it's not my main deck. I love the imagery and the art and, of course, the gold foiled sides. :)

My main deck at this point is the traditional Rider Waite. Never thought I'd say that because I avoided it for years, but for clean and clear messages and info the Rider Waite is my go-to.

Medieval Scapini is a favorite. It is the deck I learned on whilst avoiding the Rider Waite. I love that it's based on the Marseille Tarot. Eventually I dipped into Marseille Tarot readings with traditional MT decks. Great rabbit hole. I've used some of the readings for professional venues and people love it.

Wow thank you for the reply, I also got it for the imagery, and gold foiled sides :) I liked that it came with a small book too so that I can learn to interpret the cards since I don’t have prior experience.

I've had my Barbara Walker deck for about 11 years, we're very bonded.
This year I purchased the Pagan Otherworlds Deck, and i'm enjoying it - a lot of the imagery and overall energy are reminiscent of some of my heritage.
I also backed the following kickstarter deck which is a restoration:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/loscarabeo/visconti-modrone-tarot

Gilded edges and everything.
Excited for it to come in.

I've had my Barbara Walker deck for about 11 years, we're very bonded.

This year I purchased the Pagan Otherworlds Deck, and i'm enjoying it - a lot of the imagery and overall energy are reminiscent of some of my heritage.

I also backed the following kickstarter deck which is a restoration:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/loscarabeo/visconti-modrone-tarot

Gilded edges and everything.

Excited for it to come in.

The Kickstarter project you linked to is a beautiful deck. Really interesting history. I hope you will review it here when you receive it.

This thread got me thinking about the Scapini deck again, and I have been trying it out again. I really appreciate the depth of symbolism on each card, and even the “little white book” is quite detailed. Hmm... now my Herbal Tarot seems a bit light weight.

• Upvote 1

Anyone here ever experimented around with the Russian Tarot of St. Petersburg? It's a beautiful deck that also provides a firm, grouded explanation of what each card's symbolism is and how to read them. Definetely one of my favorites. 

Anyone here ever experimented around with the Russian Tarot of St. Petersburg? It's a beautiful deck that also provides a firm, grouded explanation of what each card's symbolism is and how to read them. Definetely one of my favorites. 

This is on my wishlist, it's truly a beautiful looking deck! Woul dyou say it's RWS based or pretty unique?

I’m not usually a deck collector, I’ve had my go to for over twenty years, but I did just pick up the Everyday Tarot, which I’ve had my eye on for a while. I wanted a minimalist deck, and so far I’m liking this one. Has anyone else tried it?

I have a few different decks, but they all seemed to require a lot of work to form a connection to (a couple never happened at all). I then found this beautiful Alice in Wonderland deck and I knew I had to have it. Took me a few months to save up for it, but as soon as I got it, the connection was so strong I could feel it like electricity in the air. AIW has been a favorite of mine since I was a little girl - so much so that half of my torso is covered in a tattoo dedicated to it. I'm wondering if that's part of the reason for the bond :)

A couple shots of the deck:

Deck 1

Deck 2

• Upvote 1

The Wild Unknown has a very special place in my heart. It's very beginner-friendly (no reversals) and the artist herself came out with a guide that's made it really easy and straightforward to work with. The nature imagery in the deck is lovely and reflects the spirit/characteristics of nature well (It's really beautiful and respectful, but isn't romanticized). I think it can be good for beginners who feel a lot of trepidation/anxiety with starting their divination work. It's got a very grounding and matter-of-fact energy to it.

Next would have to be The Paulina Tarot. It's a really good deck and fairly gentle deck, chock-full of symbolism (bc RWD), and has much to say. Super interesting, but requires more patience, more thought, and more maturity.

I just received The Angelarium by Peter Mohrbacher. The paintings are beyond. I love the art. I don't have a strong idea of how I'm to use it yet (it draws heavily on concepts in Kabbalah? And I'm not a follower nor am I familiar with it), but the paintings and the spirit of the imagery speaks so strongly to me. I'm just waiting for the right strike of inspiration/epiphany now...haha.
Edited by Adare
  • Upvote 2

I started with Rider-Waite deck. When I began using tarot, it seemed like an obvious place to start since so many other decks are based around it. However, I never really conncected with it. I love The Wild Unknown deck. The imagery really speaks to my soul.

I find that I can't connect very well with tarot. That being said, for almost a year, going into my favorite local witchy shop, I kept seeing the Halloween Oracle deck. It called and called and called. I finally bought it and I couldn't be happier with any other deck. 

I started learning tarot maybe a year ago with Rider-Waite deck, but I've never felt connection to the cards. I think it has been a good deck for learning tarot and meanings of the cards, but it's just not for me. For some reason I get really anxious, almost depressed with every reading I do using that deck so I decided not to touch it before I manage to find one that speaks to me.

Couple days ago I ended up asking a reading for guidance from another person. She had 3 decks from which to choose from and I ended up picking Ethereal Visions tarot deck. I have received readings before, but I've never felt such a calm and comforting feeling coming from the cards before. Now I'm waiting to receive my own visions deck. Somehow the art of the cards just made me feel safe. Hopefully that feeling will stay when I start working with the deck once it arrives.

My favorite, go-to deck right now is the Rana George Lenormand. It's such a gorgeous deck! The creator is a reader herself, so she designed the cards with her traditional understanding in mind. Honestly, some of the modern decks veer too far off the standard path and it just ends up muddling the reading for me. Like, it's really annoying when I mistake the Whip from "Under the Roses Lenormand" for the woman card, because theirs features a dominatrix looking lady holding the whip as if she's about to get down and dirty. It's a cool looking card and emphasizes its sexual aspects, but practically it's been a hindrance that I've had to overcome rather than just seamlessly working like I think most decks should. Some really cool things about this deck is that they actually include racially diverse cards. They have white AND black man/woman/child cards. Considering how popular Lenormand is in non-white majority countries, I'm surprised that most decks don't do this (well, not surprised, more like disappointed)

And lastly, I love the Piatnik Lenormand. It was my first ever lenormand deck, it's totally traditional and great for beginners. Granted, the imagery is a tad bland, but it's still a very solid deck. 

I use the Druid Animal Oracle.  It is the only deck that has every called to me.  I love it and it works great for me.  I need to use them more, even for my own situations.  Would one day like to own a Tarot deck as well, as soon as one resonates with me.

Edited to add photo...

My Oracle Deck

Edited by SabinaLea
  • Upvote 2

I have three only for all years. Not a collector. My everyday use is The Vision Tarot by Thompson.

post-4986-0-40510500-1570024327_thumb.jpg

My dark version is called "The endless night of vampires"

post-4986-0-00690700-1570024364_thumb.jpg

And my only one oracle, seldem used. Calls "Shadows of old castle"

post-4986-0-71244500-1570024392_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mona

Due to the difficulty finding tarot from my country. But I procured on of my favourite rarely to be opened thoth deck! It just I like how the symbol in the card represents and one the card actually evoke something to me once. But really bad at reading symbol or tarot in general. Had a Rider-Waite but then it didn't do anything for me. 

My favourite would have to be the Thoth deck. The amount of symbolism and correspondences are so great in it, that it's actually become hard for me to use it for just short, simple divination, but it's still my most used. I like the Faery Wicca deck as well, even though I'm not a Faery Wiccan, because I like some of the mythological themes, and use of the Irish language. 

There was a member of the Craft who passed, and wanted their belongings to go to good use, and I took from their box a mini deck of the Tarot de Marseille, modelled off of what's believed to be one of the original decks the Tarot came from. This one is perfect for travel, and pure divination. 

Thoth deck. I had given my old one, large style, away a few years ago, but just got another one as a gift from a very dear friend, small, recently, and this time keeping it for good. The small is much better for me, and I get that “cascade” shuffle with it that I have hardly gotten with any other deck yet. I just love it and I have been plunging into its study. Even as a beginner of its depth, I find it gives me very straightforward readings, as in, it does not beat around the bush, and it will repeat itself until I listen. I “see” into it much easier than RWS. Much of that is Lady Freida Harris’ work. I love the words on it, and the astro correspondences. The spirit of it speaks to me.

I am not a deck-collector. The most I have ever had at any time is 2 tarot decks. I also have a Blue Bird Lenormand but haven’t connected to it much and don’t really understand it. It intrigues me though.

Perhaps as I explore Thoth more and develop more skill with the numbers, I would feel better about acquiring more decks. Well, if they come to me, or call to me, then so be it, I suppose.

Edited by phantasmagoria

I did not know that the Thoth Deck came in a smaller version.  I do find the cards are too large for me with smaller hands.  I do tend to use the cascade or falling method to shuffle them.  You just do what you can.  I also find the cards to be right on, no bones about it cards.  They tell you the honest truth, every time.