304 replies to this topic

#101 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,053 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:05 AM

I received the deck today (Shadowscape). I must say the pics appeal to my girly side which for some unknown reason seems to be asserting itself lately. It also follows the Rider-Waite symbology although it looks completely different (watercolour art v. Sunday comics). This has made it easy to work with as so many of the books oon tarot follow the RW symbology.

I stumbled upon the "78 Degrees of Wisdom" books (which were in a bok of books my old teacher had given me when she moved and I didn't even know I owned them, lol) and they fit this deck perfectly. So far am very much enjoying it. The pictures are full of symbolism hidden and plain. You could look at a card for half an hour and still keep seeing different things iin it. I laid out the four - Fool, Magician, HP, World - and can really see where the Fool splits into the dualities of the HP and the M, then suddenly, in the World card, colour is introduced, a richnes of wisdom and understanding and androgeny represented without being overtly obvious as the duality is united with the innocense of the fool yet with wisdom (the World). Beautiful deck I am really enjoying so far. Only problem is I hadn't realized the book comes with a deck so I had bought the deck separately as well and now own two of the decks, lol.

M

#102 Amberhawk

Amberhawk

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:19 AM

I received the deck today (Shadowscape). I must say the pics appeal to my girly side which for some unknown reason seems to be asserting itself lately. It also follows the Rider-Waite symbology although it looks completely different (watercolour art v. Sunday comics). This has made it easy to work with as so many of the books oon tarot follow the RW symbology.

M

It's funny that I just got that deck last week along with the mystic dreamers deck by the same person. Both are beautiful decks. The dreamer deck is a tiny bit darker artwise and seems more true to the RW deck pictorially . I intend to spend some time with both of them though and see what's what.

#103 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,053 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:25 AM

It's funny that I just got that deck last week along with the mystic dreamers deck by the same person. Both are beautiful decks. The dreamer deck is a tiny bit darker artwise and seems more true to the RW deck pictorially . I intend to spend some time with both of them though and see what's what.

I had looked at the mystic dreamers tarot deck, but becuase they said there were photos of real people on the cards, that put me off. I don't know, but it just made me feel that it would "ground" the deck too much for me... like I wanted to see possibilities and seeing physical manifestations of humans would stop me personally from seeing other manifestations. Let me know how you get on with it I'd be interested to ee if you have the same reaction...

M

#104 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:26 PM

I stumbled upon the "78 Degrees of Wisdom" books (which were in a bok of books my old teacher had given me when she moved and I didn't even know I owned them, lol) and they fit this deck perfectly.
M

That's an awesome book, Michele. It goes so deep you could spend years delving into it.

Having just created a Llwewllyn account yesterday (their 2012 astrological calendar is dirt cheap there), I was poking around in their decks, and I thought the Steampunk deck actually looked pretty cool, for what might be considered a novelty deck.

http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#105 Amberhawk

Amberhawk

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:07 AM

I had looked at the mystic dreamers tarot deck, but becuase they said there were photos of real people on the cards, that put me off. I don't know, but it just made me feel that it would "ground" the deck too much for me... like I wanted to see possibilities and seeing physical manifestations of humans would stop me personally from seeing other manifestations. Let me know how you get on with it I'd be interested to ee if you have the same reaction...

M

Well, looking even closely at the deck it seems that "if" photos were used that they had to be altered to some degree. To me they seem a tiny bit more animated, hand drawn possibly portrait style rather than actual photos. Anyway, I'll be working with them off and on over the next few weeks and see what i think of them.

#106 Artemicia

Artemicia

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:37 PM

I'm very picky when it comes to the artwork on the decks I buy, they have to have a beautiful or romantic aspect to them. My most used decks are my Tarot Art Nouveau and Art Nouveau Lenormand cards by Lo Scarabo, there is another deck out there with a similar name, but that one looks kinda hokey, in my opinion. If there was ever an Art Deco inspired deck released, I'd be all over that too. (let me know if you know of one! Posted Image)

Michelle mentioned that Shadowscapes deck, that looks great and will probably be my next deck. I'm a pretty visual person, and if the artwork strikes me as unpleasant to look at, I'm just distracted and get annoyed. Another one I have that is graceful in style is the True Love Tarot by Amy Zerner and Monte Farber. The fabric collages in this deck are all very well done, but it's not my every day deck like the Art Nouveau.

#107 Seed

Seed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:13 AM

Another Deck i purchased purely for the Art work was the Tarot of Vampyres illustrated by Ian Daniels. The accompanying book though is something else and would undoubtedly appeal to those working with their Shadow selves.

http://www.aeclectic...es/review.shtml

#108 Aurelia

Aurelia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:23 PM

I started learning with my Great-Aunt's tarot cards, the Marseilles deck http://www.aeclectic...arseilles.shtml but could never get any connection to them. I even took a tarot class at one point thinking I was doing something wrong lol but nope, the deck just didn't want to work with me.

So I waited, and after a few years of being tarot-less a deck shouted out to me while I was out shopping (years ago) and it was insta-connection. I've been happily using my Dragon Tarot deck ever since :) http://www.aeclectic...t/cards/dragon/

#109 seacow

seacow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:46 AM

I use the Haindl deck. I got it when I was 13, so it's been with me for some time now and I feel the most in-tune with them. I've been gifted a ton of other packs but I never find myself using any of them. Not that I use the cards that much anyways, even less now than I used to. But sometimes I feel the deck calling out to me, wanting to tell me something so I'll go dig them up and start reading.

Edited by seacow, 27 June 2012 - 01:48 AM.

#110 Ilsa

Ilsa

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:33 PM

Gosh- I don't think I could choose a favorite, but I really dislike decks that aren't illustrated. I find them much harder to work with.
I hope you have a great rest of your day!
-Ilsa

#111 Guest_Vala_*

Guest_Vala_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:44 PM

I have two decks right now, and I find that they each have a separate character and "feel" that makes them suited to very different purposes.
My homemade Ancient Greek Oracle Deck is very comfortable for me. It's simply made of index cards I cut to an appropriate size, wrote on top the name of a deity or mythical figure in ancient greek, and drew a line drawing copy of a sculpture or vase depicting that figure. Since it's so handmade, it knows me very well, and we work together effortlessly.
My second deck is the Deviant Moon Tarot, which I find a bit challenging. Not challenging as in "difficult to use", but "challenging" in the most literal sense that it forces me out of my comfort zone to really confront deep and sometimes uncomfortable truths. It doesn't so much resist, as it reminds me of those martial-arts teachers from the movies who knock you on your a** so that you learn a lesson the hard way :blush:

#112 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:12 PM

I have had major difficulty finding a deck that suits me. I want a deck that is not only images of white people. That is my first requirement. Secondly, and less importantly, I would like a deck that has air associated with wands and fire with swords. That is hard to find in any instance, and the few decks like that that aren't overpriced have hideous artwork. Which leads me to my third requirement, good art.

So far the closest I have gotten is the Collective Tarot. Its actually produced here in my area. Its a deck that has a lot of diversity with people from all walks of life, which is certainly refreshing. And rather than use the cups, wands, swords, pentacles set up, it has keys, feathers, bones, and bottles http://thecollective...t.blogspot.com/ . I don't love the art, but I don't hate it either, so its overall a win. Its a little too indy for me, I would like to see something that is a tad more mainstream, but has fair representation of humanity instead of being so white washed.

Unfortunately, it seems like it is sold out. Oh well. I would love to see more decks that embrace diversity like this.

"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#113 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:26 PM

Oh I shouldn't have spoken too soon, this may be the deck for me: http://www.aeclectic...s/world-spirit/ So of course, I impulsively bought it and am selling my other deck that I described above. haha.
"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#114 The Exile

The Exile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:11 AM

I have never used Tarot cards yet.

But looking at the website referred to in the other posts, I looked at the top 10 of 2011 and the 10 all times popular ones.

So looking at the 20 sets of Tarot and none really appealed to until I got to the Bohemian Gothic Tarot. That one practically grabbed me out of the chair.

It fits me, I always like nightime over daytime big time (just like I like Fall and Winter and don't like Spring and Summer).

And this tarot set is I believe entirely nighttime and has the 19th century type people in the illustrations, and some good looking ladies to look at too.

So i'm sold on this one.

Posted Image.... Posted Image

Posted Image.... Posted Image

The link to this page is:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/bohemian-gothic/

#115 The Exile

The Exile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:32 AM

Just found out that this the Bohemian Gothic Tarot cards is not cheap. Not sure about getting a used set. And I'm not sure, is the 2nd edition set different looking from the original ?

#116 LdyShalott

LdyShalott

NecRomancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:46 AM

Oh I shouldn't have spoken too soon, this may be the deck for me: http://www.aeclectic...s/world-spirit/ So of course, I impulsively bought it and am selling my other deck that I described above. haha.

LOL.. I was just about to recommend these to you (after reading your requirements) . I know the artist , she is wonderful and the cards have a great feel..

Most witches don’t believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.  T.P.

In order to understand the living.. you have to commune with the dead..
You are a tiny little soul carrying around a corpse.-- Epictetus
All experience is an arch wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move.

#117 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:58 AM

LOL.. I was just about to recommend these to you (after reading your requirements) . I know the artist , she is wonderful and the cards have a great feel..

Pass my love and admiration onto the artist. A splendid deck.

Bill, usually second hand decks haven't actually been used. There are many folks who buy decks just to collect and resell. I never really used my Collective deck more than once or twice. And most any deck can be cleansed with some incense smoke and or a night under the moon.

#118 The Exile

The Exile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:31 PM

Bill, usually second hand decks haven't actually been used. There are many folks who buy decks just to collect and resell. I never really used my Collective deck more than once or twice. And most any deck can be cleansed with some incense smoke and or a night under the moon.

Thanks for the tip Sara, I am eyeing on a set that might be affordable, it says hardly ever used and cards still stiff. If I do get it I will use incense smoke and a night under the moon.

Another reason for liking this set is that it may help give me ideas for artwork in the future.

#119 The Exile

The Exile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:30 PM

Lost out on bidding on an original Bohemian Gothic Tarot deck. And a few minutes later when the auction ended, I realized that the winning bid was exactly as my bid, which means I could have bidded again for a few dollars more and I could have owned it. But too late. :thatsit:

I still hope to get the original Bohemian Gothic set some day.

But in the meantime I picked out an Alchemical Tarot: Renewed 3rd editon deck, The art looks nice and old style, may also learn about the elements and symbols with it.

Posted Image

More pictures at the website Aeclectic Tarot website:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/alchemical-renewed/

Edited by The Exile, 03 July 2012 - 10:35 PM.

#120 Nabu

Nabu

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:23 PM

Lost out on bidding on an original Bohemian Gothic Tarot deck. And a few minutes later when the auction ended, I realized that the winning bid was exactly as my bid, which means I could have bidded again for a few dollars more and I could have owned it. But too late. :thatsit:

I still hope to get the original Bohemian Gothic set some day.

But in the meantime I picked out an Alchemical Tarot: Renewed 3rd editon deck, The art looks nice and old style, may also learn about the elements and symbols with it.

Posted Image

More pictures at the website Aeclectic Tarot website:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/alchemical-renewed/

Hey Exile , I looked at the link , great looking deck . Just possibly musing here , would the card with the fella at the potter's wheel be called 8 of vessels ???

I have used the Rider - Waite for years , also a deck termed Classic , possibly IJJ Swiss deck. I'll have to get it out and look. Also have a deck titled " The Dream Power Deck " I believe by Kaplan or Stewart , will have to remedy that loss of memory. Cheers ......

Nabu

Strong of Heart wins the Day , let not yourself be dismayed !