• Please log in to reply
254 replies to this topic

#81 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:21 AM

After I got my first deck I got the 'bug' and started looking into other decks and I looked on here to check out which decks I could feasibly connect with - I have a knack for connecting with something I can see online or at least evaluating the worth of something versus the price, I think it's probably because I've grown up using the internet as a strong resource, it's almost another tool for me.

Then again people cast spells on strangers with just a picture and a name so I guess it's pretty common just another angle on the same thing :)

#82 Danica Victoria Nemesis

Danica Victoria Nemesis

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:32 AM

I really like my RW, that's what my mother taught me with. I really want to get a Celtic Wisdom deck though- the artwork is gorgeous. Or make my own when I get better.

#83 anjeaunot

anjeaunot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:13 AM

I prefer the Morgan Greer.

#84 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:21 PM

I prefer the Morgan Greer.

I've been thinking about picking up this deck. At first I didn't like it but it's growing on me.

I recently obtained the Universal deck and love it.

I ran to a tower where the church bells chime
I hoped that they would clear my mind
They left a ringing in my ear
But that drum's still beating loud and clear

{Florence + The Machine 'Drumming Song'}

#85 Yem

Yem

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:06 PM

I use the faerie oracle and the RW decks for different readings. Still don't like the RW, but the faerie deck isn't good for complex readings (for me). My husband bought me my first deck 15 years ago, and it was the RW deck. I couldn't connect with it, and gave it away. About 3 years ago, a friend gave me the faerie oracle deck and I half heartedly gave it a try only to find that I actually really enjoyed it. I decided to try the RW deck again about a year ago, and still don't love it, but I can work with it when I have to. Eventually, I'd like to try out other decks to see if there are any I connect with better. I love the faerie oracle, but it really does have limited use for me.

#86 Heks

Heks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:42 PM

The Mythic tarot, and recently I recieved the Thoth deck as a gift.. It's exquisite.. But how's it pronounced? is it Thoth to rhyme with Moth? or Thoth to rhyme with growth? Anyone?

Hello Oak,
I have the Mythic Tarot, and it does talk to me, sometimes! I did Latin at school and suddenly these ancient stories of the Romans and Greeks come to life again, showing me the continuity of apparently random things in one's life and also that the old gods and godesses have never died!
Kind regs,
Heks

"One's own house, though small, is better,
For there thou art the master.
It makes a man's heart bleed to ask
for a midday meal at the house of another."

(35 Havamal, Edda)

#87 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:56 AM

I'm pretty much a boring old RW person. A great many of the newer decks just seem to be fanciful versions of the RW anyway, so, I prefer "the original", in a manner of speaking.
Before I get swamped, I know it's not the "original tarot deck" by any means (if there is one), but relatively speaking, it's quite old and something of a de facto standard, where many newer decks are based on it.
That said, I do kind of like some of the new decks- the Druidcraft deck looks nice, and the Robin Hood deck too. I might get one of those some day. Most though, leave me cold, or I just can't take them seriously.

What I use mostly is my Universal RW deck, but I also have the original plain jane version, as well as the Golden tarot -which is again, essentially a RW deck, really. That was recommended by a friend who's a Houngan. I think he was amused by the fact that the magician looks an awful lot like jesus! lol

My very first deck however was the Marseille deck, which still has a place of honor with me. In fact, sometimes I truly wonder if it's a mistake to place too much emphasis on the pictures, especially in the minor arcana, because they're another's drawing/interpretation; what I like about the Marseille deck is that it leaves the interpretation strictly to the reader and his/her system, based simply on the four elements as represented in the suits, and numerology where the minor arcana are concerned. (Well.. except maybe for court cards. I think they're the most difficult to interpret in any deck). I don't personally tie the cards into the Kabballah as so many readers do, but that's also a possibility of course. Hmm.. gives me an idea for another thread..

http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#88 Amberhawk

Amberhawk

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:39 AM

My favorite deck so far is the Medieval Scapini deck. However I have been playing with the robin wood deck lately.

#89 Guest_uniqdrgnfly_*

Guest_uniqdrgnfly_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:26 AM

I have spent a small fortune on Tarot decks, but hands down, Leormand Oracle is my absolute favorite.

#90 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:45 AM

"My very first deck however was the Marseille deck, which still has a place of honor with me. In fact, sometimes I truly wonder if it's a mistake to place too much emphasis on the pictures, especially in the minor arcana, because they're another's drawing/interpretation; what I like about the Marseille deck is that it leaves the interpretation strictly to the reader and his/her system, based simply on the four elements as represented in the suits, and numerology where the minor arcana are concerned."

I have the Marseille Deck and you're right the reading is different- less romantic than other decks. I use Witches' Tarot , the most often then Gilded and Robin's Wood at work.

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#91 ShadowKing

ShadowKing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:21 AM

The Mythic tarot, and recently I received the Thoth deck as a gift.. It's exquisite.. But how's it pronounced? is it Thoth to rhyme with Moth? or Thoth to rhyme with growth? Anyone?

I personally was told straight from his mouth it is t-h-ot like taught, Ive been told its tote though. I don't think it is important as Thoth is his Greek name. His egyption name is Dhwty D-how-tee which became Thoth over time. KInd of like Isis was originally Iset.

"We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! " -Endora

#92 Oakbuchanan

Oakbuchanan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:12 AM

I personally was told straight from his mouth it is t-h-ot like taught, Ive been told its tote though. I don't think it is important as Thoth is his Greek name. His egyption name is Dhwty D-how-tee which became Thoth over time. KInd of like Isis was originally Iset.

:thumbsup:

#93 Hannah

Hannah

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:45 AM

I really, really wanted to be a William Blake tarot devotee but i just don't think retrofit tarot decks work well. Not for me anyway.

#94 Betula

Betula

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:05 PM

I had a Thoth deck when I was a teenager - I recently found it again and it's a pretty deck. I feel strongly about the Tarot de Marseille though - it's the deck I'm trying to learn to work with seriously. It's really old and the stark images are only deceptively simple. I think it will be my deck of choice for a long time.
If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.

#95 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:46 AM

I just bought a tarot deck. Really for no reason other than I happened to have the money, and yesterday 4 separate (non witchy) people brought up tarot to me. I got it off Amazon so it won't get here until next week, but I googled tarot decks and was expecting to have the same "ugh, ugly, blah, boreing" thought I get whenever I look at tarot decks, lol. But the first one that popped up on Amazon was one that I thought rather enchanting, so I bought it. It won't be for everyone. The pics are very "fantasy" but they remind me a lot of the artwork in the "Wild Swans" fairytale book I have, and it sticks to the "standard" cards, not inventing new ones. Anyway, I'll see if I get anywhere with it when it gets here. It is called the Shadowscapes deck (for some reason I'm having a very girly week, lol - I dont think a fellow would like the deck). Anyone ever worked with it?

M

#96 Seed

Seed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:29 AM

Hi Michele,

Well here is a Fellow that loves the Shadowscapes deck as i was, and still am, enchanted by the Lilac, Purple, Blue and Pink Fantasy Watercolour Art used for the illustrations. As you said, they are quite Girly in appearance and even though they follow the Rider Waite System, I actually haven't used them for readings. I personally find them better used for Solo Meditative and Dreamwork journeying.

#97 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:38 PM

Hi Michele,

Well here is a Fellow that loves the Shadowscapes deck as i was, and still am, enchanted by the Lilac, Purple, Blue and Pink Fantasy Watercolour Art used for the illustrations. As you said, they are quite Girly in appearance and even though they follow the Rider Waite System, I actually haven't used them for readings. I personally find them better used for Solo Meditative and Dreamwork journeying.

Lol - well it's good to know I'm not going off the girly-deep end, lol (next thing you know I'll be buying dresses and heels!). I loved the artwork, so really I bought it for that. I have never worked with the traditional tarot and as it does follow the RW system I figure there's enough written about RW that if I did want to work with them I would be able to start off with most any of the readily available books. Divination has never held much of an interest for me, so will be interesting to see if they end up getting framed and hung in the bathroom or actually used as a tarot deck...

M

#98 Forest Child

Forest Child

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:30 PM

The Ironwing and the Greenwood. I was incredibly fortunate to find/buy both before they became so collectable but they feed my soul and challenge me, especially the Ironwing. It's true beauty and grace is bound up with the depth of natural images and profound understanding of the artist (Laurena B Moore)

Reading for others, I tend to let them choose a deck which resonates with them. I don't have that many decks, 20 or so perhaps and some oracle decks but a wide enough selection that there is something comfortable for every taste.

#99 Heks

Heks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:51 PM

Hi,

My favourite deck is now the Spiral Tarot. I still use the RW in my mind, even if I use another deck, though! It is as though the RW deck has been etched in my brain and when I look at a card from the Spiral deck, I visualise its equivalent in the RW. Interestingly, the Spiral tarot has "princesses" for Wands, Cups, Pentacles and Swords, which is not there in the RW.

I have seen that the "Tarot of the New Vision" exists, which basically aims at showing the viewer what is hidden from view! It shows, for example, what the Magician is looking at! My question is whether or not anyone else here has bought it and if it is credible or not. Isn't it like the sequel to a movie one loves so much and then is disappointed to find out that the sequel is rubbish?

I loved "Gone with the Wind" when I was younger and never liked the sequel!

So I am not sure if I do want to see what is hidden, if you get my drift. Mystery is something valuable as it leaves more room for interpretation. But maybe I am wrong. And maybe I won't be able to resist buying them!

Kind regs,
Heks Posted Image

"One's own house, though small, is better,
For there thou art the master.
It makes a man's heart bleed to ask
for a midday meal at the house of another."

(35 Havamal, Edda)

#100 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:36 PM

I have seen that the "Tarot of the New Vision" exists, which basically aims at showing the viewer what is hidden from view! It shows, for example, what the Magician is looking at!

I'd love for every card to basically be looking at some guy drawing the original card in the first place. Would be an incredibly boring deck but somehow the idea amuses me greatly.