Photo
- - - - -

What is your favourite deck?

• Please log in to reply
254 replies to this topic

#61 Brigid

Brigid

Beyond The Bullshit...........yeah, even yours.......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:18 PM

I agree!! As a collecter I truely love them all!!
Ritualistic behaviour, though well-intentioned, possesses no significance or effectiveness unless its external prescription is matched by a personal, internal motivation of will and desire.

#62 lusa

lusa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:23 AM

I like my thoth deck too, though I get more turned lamed out by Crowley-isms in general as the years pass. The paintings, however, are interesting pieces in and of themselves. I have wondered if/where the originals could be viewed, but assume they are in someone's private collection somewhere. Eventually, I'll make my own ;)

"We sailed through endless skies. Stars shine like eyes. The black night sighs."

#63 Willau

Willau

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 02:20 AM

:thinking: I started with the Celestial deck & attune to them nicely. Haven't been inclined to try any others, besides, some really lame "beginners deck" (not sure what they are, but have the meanings written right on the card. The Celestial deck had the perfect combination of Tarot, Astrology, directions,symbology, & seasons that just clicked with me.

#64 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:14 AM

So I just ordered another deck I have been looking at for a while. Bosch Tarot!!! I love Bosch's paintings and the way they are used on the cards is wonderful. At least in the pictures I saw.
My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#65 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:41 AM

Other decks come my way, but I always read from the same deck, the others just sit and look pretty and my friend always tries to get me to read from new decks, but I just make some excuse, I can't really explain why.

Some people have encouraged me to make my own deck, but each painting I make takes me a pretty long time and I haven't made 78 paintings in the 8 years I have been painting so far, so I imagine 78 cards would consume my entire life. So as it is, I just stick with my old faithful.

I did buy a limited edition deck, with the hope I might be able to sell it someday. I should check the values on it and see if I can make some cash to buy a new book! Then my friend can't pressure me to read from it anymore :pumpkin_rolleyes:

"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#66 Brigid

Brigid

Beyond The Bullshit...........yeah, even yours.......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 11:54 AM

I am missing one of my decks, can any of you find them for me? :(
Ritualistic behaviour, though well-intentioned, possesses no significance or effectiveness unless its external prescription is matched by a personal, internal motivation of will and desire.

#67 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:02 AM

I have just found my deck. I am hesitant to say it because I don't want to jinx it before I can get my hands on a deck (or two!) but I am absolutely in love.

http://www.etsy.com/...?ref=v1_other_2 That's each card (click on the images to enlarge). The actual deck is $35 + $6 S&H

Edited by Maggie-in-the-Mead, 19 September 2011 - 12:04 AM.

I ran to a tower where the church bells chime
I hoped that they would clear my mind
They left a ringing in my ear
But that drum's still beating loud and clear

{Florence + The Machine 'Drumming Song'}

#68 Willau

Willau

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:57 AM

I am missing one of my decks, can any of you find them for me? :(

In a purse, beach bag, or travel bag, that you took them on a weekend trip. In one of the seperate pockets (with a zipper) that you missed when unpacking after you got home. :unsure:

#69 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 06:24 AM

I have just found my deck. I am hesitant to say it because I don't want to jinx it before I can get my hands on a deck (or two!) but I am absolutely in love.

http://www.etsy.com/...?ref=v1_other_2 That's each card (click on the images to enlarge). The actual deck is $35 + $6 S&H

Oh my gosh Maggie, I love " Steam-punk " stuff... lolol ! It's so quirky and tactile.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#70 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:12 PM

Oh my gosh Maggie, I love " Steam-punk " stuff... lolol ! It's so quirky and tactile.

Regards,
Gypsy

I do, too. I thought I wouldn't like a steampunk Tarot, though. At least not for reading purposes. Apparently I was mistaken.

I ran to a tower where the church bells chime
I hoped that they would clear my mind
They left a ringing in my ear
But that drum's still beating loud and clear

{Florence + The Machine 'Drumming Song'}

#71 Elvira

Elvira

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:12 PM

I use the spiral tarot, I find they really 'speak' to me.

I also have an Arthurian Tarot set, which is quite beautiful. But I just cannot relate to them at all. Its possible that I don't know enough about the Arthurian Legends (which I love). I suspect that even if I really became an expert on these legends, this set sadly still wouldn't be the right one for me.

Elvira

#72 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:01 AM

Daughters of the Moon Tarot http://www.astroamer...om/t-daugh.html

It has a lot of nudity and is the only deck I've ever seen that has two girls for the lovers card, and it's not wishy-washy hand holding, they're fucking. Reality, lol. I don't really use the tarot and this is an untraditional deck so it doesn't follow tarot books, but it's the only one I've ever been able to use with any sort of results. I don't use it often but I've had it for near 20 years so am very familiar with the pics. It's honest and earthy which I like. The book was rather feminist, and I'm not a feminist, so I don't use the book that came with it. I originally bought it as a gift for my sister, but I looked at it and kept it, lol. (I did get her another one, though.)

M

#73 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:01 AM

I have several decks but most often reach for the Witch's Tarot at home. I use the Robin's Wood deck at work. I like the Guilded Tarot as well and I have a African deck, a present from my husband, which is small and good for traveling.
Started w/ RW but it never really worked for me, I gave it away. I also have a Santa Fe deck which is beautiful but kind of severe. A friend brought me a deck from France I've used it but... maybe I need to adopt an accent to get it to work for me :pumpkin_rolleyes:

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#74 Lucea's Child

Lucea's Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:33 AM

I use three - The Medieval Scapini, Golden Tarot by Kat Black and the basic RW.
“One doesn't discover new lands without consenting
to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.”

— Andre Gide

#75 Guest_Rowan_*

Guest_Rowan_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2011 - 11:21 AM

Does anyone use the Anna K anymore? It was all the rage a couple of years back. I have both the first and second edition. I hardly use them anymore. Ah, tarot collectors--we're a capricious lot.

How many decks do you all have? I'll go count mine...

#76 Oceana's Moon

Oceana's Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:38 AM

I love my Sacred Rose deck. Bought it when I was a teenager and it has been one of the few things that has made it these 20 (ahem...) something years! The colors, the artistry, the roses, everything is done. Even if I forget what that specific card meant... the image tells the entire story with one glance. I also have Angel cards, and healing cards, but the one I use for divination is my Sacred Rose.
"Success is a ladder to be climbed and you can't do it with your hands in your pockets."

#77 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:42 PM

I like the Radiant Rider-Waite and the paintings in the Thoth. I also have the Alice in Wonderland deck, which I bought because I love AiW, but sadly it doesn't speak to me, nor does my Renaissance deck which was my first deck. My favorite is the Robin Wood, but I haven't bought it yet.
Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#78 Hannah

Hannah

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:35 PM

I spent a small fortune on the William Blake deck and when it arrived i didn't even want to open it, it just left me utterly cold, which was really, really unexpected.

I realised that i just don't like decks that have been retrospectively associated with the tarot meanings. Maybe because Blake didn't paint those images to portray tarot associations it just doesn't carry what i need to use as a divination tool?

I've always fancied making my own deck, not to sell or anything, but just personally for my use. So far i've been too lazy to start that project.

A lass i know in New York has spent years and years building up her own hand painted tarot deck and often creating a unique association with people in her real life and who she feels represents particular cards. The deck still isn't complete, she waits to feel the association, symbolism or to meet people that best represent something for her and then paints a card.

You can see what she's done so far of the deck here; http://www.katelanfoisy.com/art/tarot/ I very much doubt it will ever be for sale as a tarot deck though, it's just too individualised, interesting though, for those who might want to do something similar.

I think over the years i've just built up my own images and associations so wonder what it would be like to have a deck that captures that? But otherwise i'm just a deck whore, slutting around whatever deck catches my eye and usually ending up back at the Rider-Waite hahahah.

#79 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:41 PM

I've always fancied making my own deck, not to sell or anything, but just personally for my use. So far i've been too lazy to start that project.

I've been sketching and writing on my symbolism to do the same.

A lass i know in New York has spent years and years building up her own hand painted tarot deck and often creating a unique association with people in her real life and who she feels represents particular cards. The deck still isn't complete, she waits to feel the association, symbolism or to meet people that best represent something for her and then paints a card.

You can see what she's done so far of the deck here; http://www.katelanfoisy.com/art/tarot/ I very much doubt it will ever be for sale as a tarot deck though, it's just too individualised, interesting though, for those who might want to do something similar.

Too damn bad she probably won't sell it, I love it! That's the first 'modern' tarot deck I've ever saw that I would actually want to use.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#80 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:31 PM

I spent a small fortune on the William Blake deck and when it arrived i didn't even want to open it, it just left me utterly cold, which was really, really unexpected.

I realised that i just don't like decks that have been retrospectively associated with the tarot meanings. Maybe because Blake didn't paint those images to portray tarot associations it just doesn't carry what i need to use as a divination tool?

I think over the years i've just built up my own images and associations so wonder what it would be like to have a deck that captures that? But otherwise i'm just a deck whore, slutting around whatever deck catches my eye and usually ending up back at the Rider-Waite hahahah.

That's an awesome looking deck. You can tell she put alot in to it.