• Please log in to reply
254 replies to this topic

#41 Raina

Raina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:49 AM

I started out years ago with the Rider-Waite deck but when I'm reading for others I use the Spiral deck with which I'm really familiar and it speaks to me. When I'm doing a reading for myself I really like the Llewellyn deck, I love the imagery.

Raina

#42 Meghan

Meghan

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:05 PM

Universal Waite... only deck i've ever had. Drooled over many others but I have a real connection with my deck that took many years to develop. Feels like cheating LOL.

#43 *Tabytha*

*Tabytha*

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 02:37 PM

I started out with the RWS deck when I was 15. When the Druidcraft Tarot came out I switched to that. Although I am not Druid or Wiccan, I like the deck (except for a few cards I would do a little differently).

Me Too!

I learned the basics from the RWS deck and then bought my DruidCraft deck. I love doing the reading with the DC deck, they seem to speak to me more. I have also been bought the Pagan Tarot deck and the Robin Wood deck but haven't really got on with them (but as they were gifts I will never get rid of them).

I use my RWS deck for any Tarot talismans I need to make.

I did "loose" my DC deck for a short while and like the rest of you here, I think that it was because they needed a rest!

* Tabytha *
~ on the long winding path and enjoying every minute ~

#44 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 02:52 PM

I don't currently have one. Still looking...

My first ever deck was the Tarot of the Old Path which now that I look at isn't something I feel drawn to anymore but you always remember your first and in this case I remember that deck fondly.

Right now I am diving deeper into the tarot and have chosen to use the RW deck to do it but I am not feeling any real connection to it that would set it as my favorite.

In practice I am a one deck at a time type of girl (I was very attached to my old deck. It was a friend to me) but I could easily be a collector had I the money. So many gorgeous decks out there! Currently I am coveting this one with the strength of a thousand suns but it's far too expensive (pushing $500) http://www.victorianromantic.com/

Edited by thevioletsunflower, 28 August 2011 - 02:53 PM.

I ran to a tower where the church bells chime
I hoped that they would clear my mind
They left a ringing in my ear
But that drum's still beating loud and clear

{Florence + The Machine 'Drumming Song'}

#45 Lela

Lela

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:18 PM

Currently I am coveting this one with the strength of a thousand suns but it's far too expensive (pushing $500) http://www.victorianromantic.com/

FYI, I have heard rumors that MRP may reprint the Victorian Romantic deck sometime this year, but it's not confirmed. This deck has been on my wish list too, so fingers crossed that the rumors are true.

#46 Rollaj

Rollaj

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:20 PM

Never could get into the Rider Waite deck.
Love my Thoth deck, and have used it a lot.
I'm really starting to like my Vertigo deck, but the imagery is pretty dark, not for everyone....
http://www.tarotpassages.com/dunn.htm

Rollaj

Edit to add link...

Edited by Rollaj, 28 August 2011 - 08:22 PM.

Follow the yellow brick road Dorothy. For there be Dragons, and thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

#47 Brambles

Brambles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:42 PM

I love my "Wildwood Tarot" deck! However the deck which I get the best readings from is "Tarot of the Sweet Twilight".

“Pay heed to the tales of old wives.
It may well be that they alone keep in memory
what it was once needful for the wise to know.”
~ J.R.R. Tolkien.

#48 barefoot tabby

barefoot tabby

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:31 AM

I have been using the same deck since I was little; rider-waite. But I'm going to do something pretty big next year, and changing up my deck is an important thing in my mind. I've ordered myself the halloween deck! I've always admired this deck, but didn't want to move onto it until I was on my way out of my current situation. I've always been a massive horror fan; also I am working on becoming a fiction writer (again, horror and sub-genres). The imagery speaks to me more than other decks. Oh! They should be here within the next week or two!

I also like that the there are no pentagrams in the deck. I don't know why, but I can't take my current deck as seriously because of the pentagrams. I think the halloween deck is beautiful.
There is something so familiar about them, I can picture myself using them.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by barefoot tabby, 29 August 2011 - 10:33 AM.

dreamscaper...

#49 Anara

Anara

aspire beyond fear of death (Bhairavi)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:26 PM

I like the Radiant Rider-Waite deck and it's the only one I have right now. I've tried a Mandala deck, The Intuitive Tarot deck, and had Tarot of the Angels. So far, the Radiant Rider-Waite is the only deck I have felt a connection with.

~Ruby

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#50 The Old Crone

The Old Crone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:55 PM

I use a beaten up old Rider-Waite deck that I refuse to part with, but am also in love with gorgeously dark, Bohemian Gothic Tarot as well as the Vitorian Romantic. I am a fantical collector of anything by MRP. Now if I could only get my sweaty little hands on The Tarot of Prague deck...

#51 The Old Crone

The Old Crone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 04:03 PM

FYI, I have heard rumors that MRP may reprint the Victorian Romantic deck sometime this year, but it's not confirmed. This deck has been on my wish list too, so fingers crossed that the rumors are true.

I know they did a limited reprint of The Victorian Romantic, but it was in Russian. They may reprint an English version though,sometime in 2012-I think.

#52 Guest_Rowan_*

Guest_Rowan_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2011 - 04:30 PM

Right now I'm working with Gaian Tarot, but for reading for other people, I really enjoy using my Radiant Rider, which I've cut all the borders and titles off of, my Universal Waite, and my Morgan Greer.

#53 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:09 PM

I really enjoy using my Radiant Rider, which I've cut all the borders and titles off of,

I was planning on doing this, as well. Glad to see I'm not the only one. The company stamp kills me. Did they really have to print it on each card? Blech.

I ran to a tower where the church bells chime
I hoped that they would clear my mind
They left a ringing in my ear
But that drum's still beating loud and clear

{Florence + The Machine 'Drumming Song'}

#54 Scarlet

Scarlet

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:18 AM

I have recently come to acquire a deck called the Witches' Tarot. I was a little skeptical at first because it has a strong wiccan connection, but the more I used the cards the more connected I feel to them. It's almost like they are speaking to me. My intuitive readings are much stronger with these cards than I have experienced with other decks (including the rider-waite deck). So I will stick my witches' tarot deck and enjoy the connection we share Posted Image
Scarlet

#55 Guest_Rowan_*

Guest_Rowan_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:52 AM

I know they did a limited reprint of The Victorian Romantic, but it was in Russian. They may reprint an English version though,sometime in 2012-I think.

Really?! Wow, I did not know this! I got a copy of the 2nd edition of Bohemian Gothic...TBH, it hasn't thrilled me. But I would love a second edition VR!

#56 Lela

Lela

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:00 PM

Really?! Wow, I did not know this! I got a copy of the 2nd edition of Bohemian Gothic...TBH, it hasn't thrilled me. But I would love a second edition VR!

On the AT forum, it was quite a big to do when the deck was released. I decided to pass on the Russian version, even though it is a deck I hope to acquire some day. MRP (Magic Realist Press) are also reprinting their Baroque Bohemian Cats tarot and have already started taking pre-orders in case anyone is interested.

#57 Brigid

Brigid

Beyond The Bullshit...........yeah, even yours.......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:45 PM

I have recently come to acquire a deck called the Witches' Tarot. I was a little skeptical at first because it has a strong wiccan connection, but the more I used the cards the more connected I feel to them. It's almost like they are speaking to me. My intuitive readings are much stronger with these cards than I have experienced with other decks (including the rider-waite deck). So I will stick my witches' tarot deck and enjoy the connection we share Posted Image

Ritualistic behaviour, though well-intentioned, possesses no significance or effectiveness unless its external prescription is matched by a personal, internal motivation of will and desire.

#58 Brigid

Brigid

Beyond The Bullshit...........yeah, even yours.......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:52 PM

I have recently come to acquire a deck called the Witches' Tarot. I was a little skeptical at first because it has a strong wiccan connection, but the more I used the cards the more connected I feel to them. It's almost like they are speaking to me. My intuitive readings are much stronger with these cards than I have experienced with other decks (including the rider-waite deck). So I will stick my witches' tarot deck and enjoy the connection we share

http://www.traditionalwitch.net/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/

witchbroom.gif

my husband bought me this deck, he doesent understand much about my craft, but he is very supportive!! It came with a book, VERY WICCAN, can't connect, don't like the feel of the cards, cheap , but as a collect cards, it's a nice little novelty item..
Please don't get me wrong, if it works for you, it works!!!!
That's the key!

Ritualistic behaviour, though well-intentioned, possesses no significance or effectiveness unless its external prescription is matched by a personal, internal motivation of will and desire.

#59 The Old Crone

The Old Crone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:20 PM

On the AT forum, it was quite a big to do when the deck was released. I decided to pass on the Russian version, even though it is a deck I hope to acquire some day. MRP (Magic Realist Press) are also reprinting their Baroque Bohemian Cats tarot and have already started taking pre-orders in case anyone is interested.

Ah yes, the AT forum-total madness when a collectable deck goes up. The Russian print on the VR cards give it an air of mystery-if you don't speak Russian that is, and it has the 2 emporers (sp?). The BOGO-totally a love it or hate it deck. I will order the BBC, just for collecting purposes, as I cannot see doing a serious reading with them. They are lovely though. Keep an eye on ebay-I have seen the veeeeery limited OOP book, go for a good price (got me 2!), as well as all the other decks.

#60 Scarlet

Scarlet

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:32 PM

@Brigid - at first I thought the deck was a little hokie. I was actually surprised when I was able to connect with them. I'm glad I tapped into this thread though because I would love to get my hands on some of the vintage decks being discussed! :)
Scarlet