• Please log in to reply
254 replies to this topic

#21 Freki

Freki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:23 PM

I have tried a few and my Nova mini deck is still my favorite. With the way I choose to read, these are more comfortable in my small hands and the symbolism is simple and speaks to me.

Wow... I've never seen that deck before, but I love the colors and the simplicity of it.

~ Listen to them, the children of the night. What sweet music they make! ~
Bram Stoker's Dracula

#22 Oneironaut

Oneironaut

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:00 PM

Started off on the Rider-Waite deck when I was younger. Over time though the more I delved into Crowley's works the more drawn I became to the Thoth deck. Took me a looong time to get comfortable enough with it for a decent reading. That being said, concious/deliberate divination is one of the weaker aspects of my Craft.

-- Oneironaut

#23 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:41 PM

Here is the link to the Astral Tarot I posted about with pictures. Hope the link works as I am using an iPhone.

http://www.tradition...__fromsearch__1

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#24 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:17 AM

I have always wanted to make a deck, Jevne. I dont use tarot very often but my favorite deck is the World Spirit Tarot,.. Lauren, the artist, is a friend..

My sister is blessed with artistic talent, so technically she helped with the creation. She has a similar deck with only slight differences in styling. I won't share over the Internet; however, my deck shows my love for simple, but meaningful symbolism.

#25 LdyShalott

LdyShalott

NecRomancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:24 AM

. I won't share over the Internet; however, my deck shows my love for simple, but meaningful symbolism.

Completely understandable.. I am rather close knit myself when it comes to certain parts and pieces of my path..

Most witches don’t believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.  T.P.

In order to understand the living.. you have to commune with the dead..
You are a tiny little soul carrying around a corpse.-- Epictetus
All experience is an arch wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move.

#26 Marion

Marion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:56 AM

Completely understandable.. I am rather close knit myself when it comes to certain parts and pieces of my path..

Aren't we all? :D Rider Waite for me, though, every time.

"Bart, the ability to add two-digit numbers does not make you a witch" ~ Lisa Simpson

Always up to witchery ~ Marion

#27 ejfinch

ejfinch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:44 PM

The Mythic tarot, and recently I recieved the Thoth deck as a gift.. It's exquisite.. But how's it pronounced? is it Thoth to rhyme with Moth? or Thoth to rhyme with growth? Anyone?

Thoth is my favorite deck, I still cannot seem to connect with the Ryder-Waite. As far as pronunciation, I rhyme it with "moth", although I could be mistaken. Now I'm curious....I hope that someone comes along that knows for sure. ;)

#28 Vermilion

Vermilion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:40 PM

Thoth is my favorite deck, I still cannot seem to connect with the Ryder-Waite. As far as pronunciation, I rhyme it with "moth", although I could be mistaken. Now I'm curious....I hope that someone comes along that knows for sure. ;)

Me, too. I returned my RW deck almost immediately - couldn't get into it the way I got into my Thoth deck... I felt unfaithful.

I've always pronounced it "Toth", rhyming with moth... not sure if that was just impulse or I heard it somewhere like that, though.

I am my own Keeper; my own Sower, my own Reaper.
~ V ~

#29 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:00 PM

Me, too. I returned my RW deck almost immediately - couldn't get into it the way I got into my Thoth deck... I felt unfaithful.

Oh good, I'm not the only one who won't use multiple decks, because of a feeling of being unfaithful. I don't even like to pick up new ones in the store. I know I'm strange.

J

#30 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 03:26 PM

You can be faithful but still have different purposes and meanings to different decks. Just as you can have multiple children and love them all equally, a circle of friends with different strengths or a set of knives with different edges.

The pull to a particular deck is stronger depending on my own state of working and the issue at hand, just like some friends are better at handling a bloody accident than the one you might discuss relationships with.

Thoth and Moth for me though, I'm vaguely interested in the actual egyptian pronounciation as the egyptian gods names as we know them are from Greek. In original form it's something like dhwty... which looks like it might be welsh or something.

#31 Startella

Startella

Czarwonica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:25 PM

The Mythic Tarot are what I use, when I use Tarot. I've had them a fair few years now and can't imagine using anything else-not sure why, I've looked and liked other sets. I'm just familiar with them I guess like a favorite pair of slippers. We fit each other well. I feel a loyalty to them somehow.
I have'nt picked them up for while, perhaps that was the reminder I needed.

I use the Mythic Tarot! It was the first deck I got, which was given to me. For several years it disappeared and I just got it again! I have kept the deck in sight now, although as of late I haven't used it, yes, I think this thread is a reminder that I need to get back at things again.

Draco Dormien Nuquam Titillandus
(Never Tickle A Sleeping Dragon)

#32 Rose

Rose

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:20 PM

I use the Mythic Tarot! It was the first deck I got, which was given to me. For several years it disappeared and I just got it again! I have kept the deck in sight now, although as of late I haven't used it, yes, I think this thread is a reminder that I need to get back at things again.

Ah, thank you fates. This was exactly the segue I was looking for!

Just to answer the question, I enjoy the Goddess Tarot. While I am not particularly linked to the theology, I enjoy the strong womanly presence I feel with these cards. I see them relate to those I regularly read for better than any cards I've ever used. A familiar little face stares up at each family and friend :)

My other question is - why exactly DO our cards hide from us sometimes? I've gone through a few periods of this lately!
I put them where I know I'll remember and they aren't there for me when I go back just to see them. I haven't felt an urge to do a reading lately, nor have I been asked, but I do like to know where they are and occasionally consult them to keep them "warm."

Anyone have any theories on this?

#33 Sugarbunny

Sugarbunny

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:13 PM

I use Crow's Magic Tarot and the Deviant Moon Tarot, though I have collected many cards over the years.

As to why they hide, I'm not sure. My Deviant Moon deck only recently returned to me after using it thoroughly for a time. I think because I had used it so much that it decided it wanted it's own little vacation. That may not be the way things are in other cases.

That's basically what I think.
-Jet

#34 Blue Spider

Blue Spider

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:20 AM

So many decks - so little time!

For Tarot, I love my Gummy Bears. They are surprisingly traditional, based on Rider but so adorable! They are also a smaller deck so easier to use. I also use the Radiant. I love my Halloweens but tend not to use them often.

For Oracle (lots of these!) but my faves / most used are both Animal Decks by Steven Farmer, and I enjoy the Unicorn cards by Doreen Virtue (yes, perhaps fluffy but enjoy anyway).

Why do they hide? I pretty much keep all mine together but on occasion I've been known to find a deck hiding in a drawer somewhere. Perhaps they need their own personal rest and recharging. Posted Image

#35 Vermilion

Vermilion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:00 PM

[...] I know I'm strange.

J

But who isn't, darling!?

I am my own Keeper; my own Sower, my own Reaper.
~ V ~

#36 Miko

Miko

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:41 PM

New Orleans Voodoo tarot deck

#37 Brigid

Brigid

Beyond The Bullshit...........yeah, even yours.......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:18 PM

Rider Waite, I'm an old fashioned girl, can't seem to connect with the more fanciful decks. I have others, I like to collect them and play with them but for serious business I always go back to old faithful!!Posted Image
Ritualistic behaviour, though well-intentioned, possesses no significance or effectiveness unless its external prescription is matched by a personal, internal motivation of will and desire.

#38 spinney

spinney

Local hedge witch

• Moderators
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:23 PM

An old Rider Waite I rescued from a man I knew who died, a very good reader. Another was the Mythic tarot which is very easy to read, which got lost in my travels, I highly recommend the Mythic Tarot to any beginners, I also love 'The housewives tarot' a 50's style tarot that is a treat :D

#39 Eon

Eon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:20 PM

I use the Gill tarot deck. I really like it, and I just can't get into any other deck.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind

#40 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:37 AM

I started out with the RWS deck when I was 15. When the Druidcraft Tarot came out I switched to that. Although I am not Druid or Wiccan, I like the deck (except for a few cards I would do a little differently).