291 replies to this topic

#281 Lucea's Child

Lucea's Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:19 PM

Sure.  I'll do my best.

The Golden Tarot by Kat Black has always been a reading that is "soft" and "nurturing" for lack of better words.  I feel like messages with that deck come across "nicer" and not so forceful or bluntly.  There is a time for blunt, but there are times for soft, too.  I'm drawn to it for that reason, but it's not my main deck.  I love the imagery and the art and, of course, the gold foiled sides. :)

My main deck at this point is the traditional Rider Waite.  Never thought I'd say that because I avoided it for years, but for clean and clear messages and info the Rider Waite is my go-to.

Medieval Scapini is a favorite.  It is the deck I learned on whilst avoiding the Rider Waite.  I love that it's based on the Marseille Tarot.  Eventually I dipped into Marseille Tarot readings with traditional MT decks.  Great rabbit hole.  I've used some of the readings for professional venues and people love it.  

“One doesn't discover new lands without consenting
to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.”

— Andre Gide

#282 FancyShadowCat

FancyShadowCat

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 07:02 AM

Sure. I'll do my best.

The Golden Tarot by Kat Black has always been a reading that is "soft" and "nurturing" for lack of better words. I feel like messages with that deck come across "nicer" and not so forceful or bluntly. There is a time for blunt, but there are times for soft, too. I'm drawn to it for that reason, but it's not my main deck. I love the imagery and the art and, of course, the gold foiled sides. :)

My main deck at this point is the traditional Rider Waite. Never thought I'd say that because I avoided it for years, but for clean and clear messages and info the Rider Waite is my go-to.

Medieval Scapini is a favorite. It is the deck I learned on whilst avoiding the Rider Waite. I love that it's based on the Marseille Tarot. Eventually I dipped into Marseille Tarot readings with traditional MT decks. Great rabbit hole. I've used some of the readings for professional venues and people love it.

Wow thank you for the reply, I also got it for the imagery, and gold foiled sides :) I liked that it came with a small book too so that I can learn to interpret the cards since I don’t have prior experience.

#283 ReleaseTheBats

ReleaseTheBats

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 03:39 PM

I've had my Barbara Walker deck for about 11 years, we're very bonded.
This year I purchased the Pagan Otherworlds Deck, and i'm enjoying it - a lot of the imagery and overall energy are reminiscent of some of my heritage.
I also backed the following kickstarter deck which is a restoration:
https://www.kickstar...i-modrone-tarot

Gilded edges and everything.
Excited for it to come in.

“A witch ought never to be frightened in the darkest forest, Granny Weatherwax had once told her, because she should be sure in her soul that the most terrifying thing in the forest was her.”

― Terry Pratchett

#284 JessicaB

JessicaB

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 05:45 PM

I've had my Barbara Walker deck for about 11 years, we're very bonded.
This year I purchased the Pagan Otherworlds Deck, and i'm enjoying it - a lot of the imagery and overall energy are reminiscent of some of my heritage.
I also backed the following kickstarter deck which is a restoration:
https://www.kickstar...i-modrone-tarot

Gilded edges and everything.
Excited for it to come in.

The Kickstarter project you linked to is a beautiful deck. Really interesting history. I hope you will review it here when you receive it.

This thread got me thinking about the Scapini deck again, and I have been trying it out again. I really appreciate the depth of symbolism on each card, and even the “little white book” is quite detailed. Hmm... now my Herbal Tarot seems a bit light weight.

#285 Circe

Circe

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 07:56 PM

Anyone here ever experimented around with the Russian Tarot of St. Petersburg? It's a beautiful deck that also provides a firm, grouded explanation of what each card's symbolism is and how to read them. Definetely one of my favorites. 

#286 WinterMeudwy

WinterMeudwy

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 07:58 PM

Anyone here ever experimented around with the Russian Tarot of St. Petersburg? It's a beautiful deck that also provides a firm, grouded explanation of what each card's symbolism is and how to read them. Definetely one of my favorites. 

This is on my wishlist, it's truly a beautiful looking deck! Woul dyou say it's RWS based or pretty unique?

#287 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:55 AM

I’m not usually a deck collector, I’ve had my go to for over twenty years, but I did just pick up the Everyday Tarot, which I’ve had my eye on for a while. I wanted a minimalist deck, and so far I’m liking this one. Has anyone else tried it?

#288 FairCirce

FairCirce

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:32 PM

I have a few different decks, but they all seemed to require a lot of work to form a connection to (a couple never happened at all). I then found this beautiful Alice in Wonderland deck and I knew I had to have it. Took me a few months to save up for it, but as soon as I got it, the connection was so strong I could feel it like electricity in the air. AIW has been a favorite of mine since I was a little girl - so much so that half of my torso is covered in a tattoo dedicated to it. I'm wondering if that's part of the reason for the bond :)

A couple shots of the deck:

Deck 1

Deck 2

#289 Adare

Adare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:02 PM

The Wild Unknown has a very special place in my heart. It's very beginner-friendly (no reversals) and the artist herself came out with a guide that's made it really easy and straightforward to work with. The nature imagery in the deck is lovely and reflects the spirit/characteristics of nature well (It's really beautiful and respectful, but isn't romanticized). I think it can be good for beginners who feel a lot of trepidation/anxiety with starting their divination work. It's got a very grounding and matter-of-fact energy to it.

Next would have to be The Paulina Tarot. It's a really good deck and fairly gentle deck, chock-full of symbolism (bc RWD), and has much to say. Super interesting, but requires more patience, more thought, and more maturity.

I just received The Angelarium by Peter Mohrbacher. The paintings are beyond. I love the art. I don't have a strong idea of how I'm to use it yet (it draws heavily on concepts in Kabbalah? And I'm not a follower nor am I familiar with it), but the paintings and the spirit of the imagery speaks so strongly to me. I'm just waiting for the right strike of inspiration/epiphany now...haha.

Edited by Adare, 21 January 2019 - 09:32 PM.

#290 Domina

Domina

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 01:26 AM

I started with Rider-Waite deck. When I began using tarot, it seemed like an obvious place to start since so many other decks are based around it. However, I never really conncected with it. I love The Wild Unknown deck. The imagery really speaks to my soul.

#291 VedgeWitch

VedgeWitch

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:21 AM

I find that I can't connect very well with tarot. That being said, for almost a year, going into my favorite local witchy shop, I kept seeing the Halloween Oracle deck. It called and called and called. I finally bought it and I couldn't be happier with any other deck. 

#292 Cherry

Cherry

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 12:48 AM

I started learning tarot maybe a year ago with Rider-Waite deck, but I've never felt connection to the cards. I think it has been a good deck for learning tarot and meanings of the cards, but it's just not for me. For some reason I get really anxious, almost depressed with every reading I do using that deck so I decided not to touch it before I manage to find one that speaks to me.

Couple days ago I ended up asking a reading for guidance from another person. She had 3 decks from which to choose from and I ended up picking Ethereal Visions tarot deck. I have received readings before, but I've never felt such a calm and comforting feeling coming from the cards before. Now I'm waiting to receive my own visions deck. Somehow the art of the cards just made me feel safe. Hopefully that feeling will stay when I start working with the deck once it arrives.