274 replies to this topic

#261 StJohn

StJohn

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:23 PM

My second deck is the Deviant Moon Tarot, which I find a bit challenging. Not challenging as in "difficult to use", but "challenging" in the most literal sense that it forces me out of my comfort zone to really confront deep and sometimes uncomfortable truths. It doesn't so much resist, as it reminds me of those martial-arts teachers from the movies who knock you on your a** so that you learn a lesson the hard way blush.gif

This is a helluva an old post to respond to, but YES, the Deviant Moon happens to be one of two decks that I work with. I have more, but these two are the ones I include images of in my BoS as I'm writing in my meditative pages. I like the vibe so much, it's kind of like a close friend that just looks at me dead-pan and goes "Look, bitch. You crazy. But not as crazy as it coulda been, so you're not too bad. But here's where it could be better."

This and the Joie de Vivre by Paulina Cassidy are my top two to read with. I can't stick to one deck, I find. I like comparing and contrasting the same cards in both decks. As for when I'm reading, I'll go with one or the other on a whim, just because I want to or not. I keep them both in the same baggie with a tumbled amethyst, carnelian and rose quartz. My hands always feel extra warm picking them up.

I read another reply that mentioned the Morgan-Greer, and HOLY COW I LOST MY MIND, I forgot about that one! I actually wanted to pick up the tin-sized version to take with me on the go. My two home decks normally don't go anywhere with me, they're a bit unmanageable when I'm on the go. But tin-sized would be perrrfect.

אל תפחד

#262 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 03:08 PM

This is a helluva an old post to respond to, but YES, the Deviant Moon happens to be one of two decks that I work with. I have more, but these two are the ones I include images of in my BoS as I'm writing in my meditative pages. I like the vibe so much, it's kind of like a close friend that just looks at me dead-pan and goes "Look, bitch. You crazy. But not as crazy as it coulda been, so you're not too bad. But here's where it could be better."

This and the Joie de Vivre by Paulina Cassidy are my top two to read with. I can't stick to one deck, I find. I like comparing and contrasting the same cards in both decks. As for when I'm reading, I'll go with one or the other on a whim, just because I want to or not. I keep them both in the same baggie with a tumbled amethyst, carnelian and rose quartz. My hands always feel extra warm picking them up.

I read another reply that mentioned the Morgan-Greer, and HOLY COW I LOST MY MIND, I forgot about that one! I actually wanted to pick up the tin-sized version to take with me on the go. My two home decks normally don't go anywhere with me, they're a bit unmanageable when I'm on the go. But tin-sized would be perrrfect.

The tin size is so cute and handy :) I love the Deviant Moon tarot too. I just gave it to my son who was desperate for a tarot deck, then and there. Obviously, I'm going to buy my own copy again. I agree with all you say about it, and I love that the pictures look so textured. It's a real feast.

#263 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:00 PM

Talk of the tiny tarot decks has intrigued me, and I kind of want one, but sadly neither of the decks I use (Scapini and Shadowscape) come in travel size. The Morgan-Greer is a possibility (I’m not a big fan of the Rider-Waite), are there any other tiny decks people have? 

#264 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 01:14 AM

Duchess, Lo Scarabeo does a lot of mini versions of quite a few decks. Also US games.

#265 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:15 AM

Yes, Lo Scarabeo usually has the most mini decks, and it looks like they currently have 24 mini decks available: http://shop.loscarab...&id_lang=1&n=24

US Games usually does smaller quantities of the mini decks I've seen so they're not available as long as the Lo Scarabeo decks, but I'm sure if you did a google search you could find some on Amazon and other places still in stock if none of the Lo Scarabeo decks light your fire, Duchess...

#266 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:17 AM

Also, Motherpeace Tarot does a mini

#267 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:59 PM

Thanks for the info! I just ordered one of the discontinued Visconti mini decks. The Scapini based a lot on it, so I figured it was as close as I was going to get.

#268 Khundekling

Khundekling

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:07 PM

I'm piggybacking off this a little bit, but I was wondering how y'all pick your decks? Do you just go on the art? A feeling you get from a deck in a store? The background of the creator? Just curious. 

life is better with a biscuit

#269 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:19 PM

My first deck picked me. My mother bought it years, and years ago, and kept in the wrapper and never actually used it, so when I happened across at age 12 I, uh, helped myself (it wanted me to, I swear), and we’ve been together ever since. The second deck I picked out on the art. I wanted it for specific kinds of reading, and found the artwork that would work best with those questions. 

#270 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:07 AM

My RWS was my first deck, and has always been the one I use the most. My mother bought it for me, I think I was 15.
I currently have two other decks I use occasionally, neither are actually tarot decks though.
I have medicine cards, those were in fact a gift of sorts someone gave to my husband. He promptly determined that they were ment for me. I do not disagree.
I also have the daemonic tarot. I bought that myself when curiosity got the best of me after reading a thread about them on here.

Edited by Solanaceae, 16 April 2018 - 04:31 AM.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#271 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:55 PM

It took me a while to remember the name of the deck, which is why I did not post it above.

When I was a kid I bought myself the Servants of the Light tarot because I thought it was pretty. 

Anyone who knows me will know why this was not a good fit, lol but at the time I did not know myself either.

I held onto it but rarely used it till I was 18 or so, and then it found itself a home with a young up and coming witch I had met.

As RS said about her deck, it rehomed itself. As if it was just waiting for her to come along. It was never mine.

#272 Phaedra

Phaedra

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 03:03 PM

I have only a couple tarot and oracle decks. The Wild Unknown is beautiful and very high quality, but I think my legitimate favorite has to be the Tarot of Sexual Magic by Laura Tuan and the talented Mauro De Luca. It's on the classier side of erotic tarot decks, and it's energetic signature gels well with my own in a way that other decks I have handled do not.

@Solanaceae: I found the Medicine Cards book at a thrift store last year, and I'm really glad I got it! The cards have been very elusive for me, but I think I've found a source for the deck recently. Do you have any thoughts about this deck in regards to spirit guide seeking/communication?

#273 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:39 PM

I have only a couple tarot and oracle decks. The Wild Unknown is beautiful and very high quality, but I think my legitimate favorite has to be the Tarot of Sexual Magic by Laura Tuan and the talented Mauro De Luca. It's on the classier side of erotic tarot decks, and it's energetic signature gels well with my own in a way that other decks I have handled do not.

@Solanaceae: I found the Medicine Cards book at a thrift store last year, and I'm really glad I got it! The cards have been very elusive for me, but I think I've found a source for the deck recently. Do you have any thoughts about this deck in regards to spirit guide seeking/communication?

I have those two tarot decks as well :) Love them. 

The Medicine Cards, back in the 90's, it was my first ever deck of any kind. I loved it, but at some point, I think I threw it away in a decluttering sesh. I really regret it, and plan to get it again when I can. I wasn't a witch of any kind, back then.

I finally got the Druidcraft tarot today! I am so cranky at myself for not getting it sooner. I've always wanted it, but kept putting it off; I think subconsciously I felt like I already had it. Weird. But omg, getting it my hands today was like finally coming home :) and it goes so beautifully with my druid animal and plant oracles. It was a case of instant bonding, and really supports my path so perfectly.

#274 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:02 AM

Do you have the book that goes with it? I kind of like the way they put it, that your animal spirit will change depending on what you need at any given time. 

These spirits come into your life when you need them, sometimes to remind you of something, sometimes to provide you with something that is missing, sometimes to teach or guide you. Then when they are not needed they move on. After you determine what spirit has been trying to get your attention, pay close attention to how that message is manifesting in other aspects of your life.

You might find you are seeing the animal everywhere, or just people or things that exemplify it's traits.

#275 Phaedra

Phaedra

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:47 PM

I do have the book. It strikes me as a pretty decent resource on its own without the accompanying deck, but I did wonder if the cards were highly recommended. Of course, given their nature, I could always make a deck to befit the book myself with perhaps much better results...

I imagine that there are at least two camps that spirit guides gravitate into: those who are lifelong teachers and guides, and those present for very specific reasons who take their leave after the lesson is taught. Thinking of it now, it would be pretty amusing if someone would put an oracle or tarot deck out there featuring the human spirit guides found in the realms of film and music. Drawing Bowie in the morning cards would absolutely make my day.