• Please log in to reply
254 replies to this topic

#201 LongGone

LongGone

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 02:48 PM

Oh awesome. Black white and red is my favorite color combination. Bet they are beautiful.

#202 TemperanceMoon

TemperanceMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 05:44 PM

I use the Mother Peace tarot as my main one (I love the circular cards and the various directions that can be interpreted from them) and I bring in aspects of the Collective Tarot (i love how it was collectively created, the non gender specfic part plus some of the name changes - XX "judgement" is called "liberation for example). and for herbal references I use the herbal tarot booklet. BUT my long term goal is to create my own tarot deck but still feel kind of overwhlemed by that ... Jevne, how did you do it (i think it's totally awesome that you have)? like specfically what materials did you use? :)

#203 TemperanceMoon

TemperanceMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 05:49 PM

wow. just noticed how long this string is...so many great ideas etc. so thanks to everyone for all the info about what you use and creating your own :)

#204 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 06:12 PM

Jevne, how did you do it [...]

Jevne is no longer a member here. You can see that right underneath her name.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#205 TemperanceMoon

TemperanceMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 06:29 PM

thanks mountain witch. :biggrin2: I am still learning how to use this site so I appreciate your telling me that.

#206 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 07:31 AM

The only deck I have is my first deck that I received as a gift, it seems to do well for me although I do not have a lot of aptitude with cartomancy in particular. I'm considering getting a new one that better suits me and this thread is somewhat helpful. :)
"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#207 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 07:32 AM

I have a handful of decks I use for different purposes, but my go-to "utility" deck is the Universal Waite.

As an artist myself, I can't stand the garish colors of the original RWS deck and feel very strongly that if Pixie was still around she would choose to use modern printing advances and utilize all the colors available to her to communicate her message, and would NOT keep printing them in that horrible limited palette! :P

Of all of the re-colored RWS decks, I find the Universal Waite to be the most sensitive and appealing, personally.

Autumn Moon - I love that you alter your decks! (beyond just trimming/edging, which I myself do)

I am the same way about being distracted by bad art (naive art is fine if that's the style of the deck, but there are WAY too many decks rendered "realistically" with the people missing bones (or those bones being in the wrong location or shape) beneath their skin, etc... which just pulls me out of the "zone" so to speak when I'm working with a deck.

There are a couple of decks not yet released that I'm *very* excited about, but I'll have to reserve judgment until I have them in my hands, as I've been disappointed too many times in the past (terrible cardstock, not being able to see all the cards prior to receiving it and ending up with some truly awful cards in the deck, etc). So hopefully I'll be able to post here again once I get them...

Edited by IslandBruja, 09 September 2016 - 01:08 AM.

#208 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 03:30 AM

I use the Scapini deck. I came across it when I was twelve in my mother's "things she was planning to get around to learning" pile, and it's been with me ever since. I was originally drawn to it because the cards reminded me of illustrations from books of medieval lais, which have always been some of my favorite lazy day reading books.

I've looked at other decks, and I toy with the idea of getting another, but it never feels as right as my Scapini deck does.

#209 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 03:40 PM

My most used and favorite deck is the universal waite tarot deck~ I have used this one consistently for years now.  My favorite oracle deck is the vintage wisdom oracle. Beautiful! 

#210 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 04:37 AM

Right now I'm taking a class on cards & magic and am using the Jean Noblet Marseille deck. It's very clean & elegant. If you like your tarot less symbolic, this one is wonderful. But I may be biased. I also still love the others I mentioned.
Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#211 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:21 AM

I have a handful of decks I use for different purposes, but my go-to "utility" deck is the Universal Waite.

As an artist myself, I can't stand the garish colors of the original RWS deck and feel very strongly that if Pixie was still around she would choose to use modern printing advances and utilize all the colors available to her to communicate her message, and would NOT keep printing them in that horrible limited palette! :P

Of all of the re-colored RWS decks, I find the Universal Waite to be the most sensitive and appealing, personally.

Autumn Moon - I love that you alter your decks! (beyond just trimming/edging, which I myself do)

I am the same way about being distracted by bad art (naive art is fine if that's the style of the deck, but there are WAY too many decks rendered "realistically" with the people missing bones (or those bones being in the wrong location or shape) beneath their skin, etc... which just pulls me out of the "zone" so to speak when I'm working with a deck.

There are a couple of decks not yet released that I'm *very* excited about, but I'll have to reserve judgment until I have them in my hands, as I've been disappointed too many times in the past (terrible cardstock, not being able to see all the cards prior to receiving it and ending up with some truly awful cards in the deck, etc). So hopefully I'll be able to post here again once I get them...

>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanks IslandBruja! It really is wonderful to use a deck that you are totally satisfied with the imagery of every card in the deck, and for me this is the modified DruidCraft deck I made. I also made for the fun of it a 'Charmed' Deck (what can I say, lol), but it turned out quite well for reading with too, as I suited the imagery on each card with the trad meanings of the RIder Waite Smith deck. When I first began reading Tarot I used the 1970 RWS deck, and I read well with it, but I wanted something more 'earthy' such as the DC deck...but I really needed to adapt it to my liking as there were aspects of a number of cards that irked me, but overall, the deck was what I wanted.

#212 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 07:25 PM

I am a complete dud at Tarot. About 10-12 decks have passed through my life and been "regifted". I love the pictures though. I never get beyond "Ooo, pretty"... and I've tried... but I am so stinkin' bad at divination. Eleven pages of comments?! Rock on!

#213 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 01:23 AM

OK, one of my highly anticipated decks I mentioned previously in this thread came yesterday. I've been looking through it and wanted to share it here as it's such a deep deck but it's a limited edition self-published by the artists so if you're interested and able to get one (they're pricey on their site - cheaper if you got it through their Kickstarter) you should think about doing it soon as they'll likely sell out like they have other decks.

Anyway, I'm not religious, so the pagan imagery on that level does nothing for me, but the Pagan Otherworlds deck is truly magical.

I'll post some pics of some of the cards I find most impressive in this wonderful deck...

Attached Files

#214 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 01:30 AM

These pics simply don't do it justice. The coloring is so subtle (original oil paintings printed on high quality linen card stock) that it's impossible for me camera phone to capture it... I might have a new favorite deck but I have to actually work with it before knowing! ;)

The husband and wife team who created it also included 5 Moon Phase cards you can incorporate into your readings which have this beautifully subtle glittering holographic print on the light side of the moon. Also impossible to capture its presence, but here are a few glimpses...

Attached Files

#215 Eidolon

Eidolon

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 02:11 PM

Lately I've been really into Lenormand. The deck that I have is the Bluebird Lenormand. The illustrations are Victorian and super beautiful and it's so simple to work with. Easy to get quick clear answers.

#216 Eidolon

Eidolon

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 02:29 PM

These pics simply don't do it justice. The coloring is so subtle (original oil paintings printed on high quality linen card stock) that it's impossible for me camera phone to capture it... I might have a new favorite deck but I have to actually work with it before knowing! ;)
The husband and wife team who created it also included 5 Moon Phase cards you can incorporate into your readings which have this beautifully subtle glittering holographic print on the light side of the moon. Also impossible to capture its presence, but here are a few glimpses...

Holy hell. That is the most beautiful deck. Did you order one and haven't gotten it yet? Please let me know how you like them. I'm super impressed.

#217 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 04:20 PM

Holy hell. That is the most beautiful deck. Did you order one and haven't gotten it yet? Please let me know how you like them. I'm super impressed.

It's a brand new deck so they're literally sending out the very first orders in waves as we speak. You can see better images on their site (and their other decks) at http://uusi.us

#218 Faolana

Faolana

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 06:49 PM

Could someone recommend a deck for a person of very minimalist taste?

#219 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 06:55 PM

Could someone recommend a deck for a person of very minimalist taste?

I'd suggest visiting the Aeclectic Tarot site - they have lists and deck categories and forums to search with people discussing everything you can imagine to do with Tarot. There are lots of minimalist decks and I'm positive you'll be able to find something that intrigues you over there :)

#220 Faolana

Faolana

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 07:01 PM

I'd suggest visiting the Aeclectic Tarot site - they have lists and deck categories and forums to search with people discussing everything you can imagine to do with Tarot. There are lots of minimalist decks and I'm positive you'll be able to find something that intrigues you over there :)

Perfect, thank you!