• Please log in to reply
254 replies to this topic

#1 Stacey

Stacey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 05:20 AM

What is your favourite Tarot or Oracle deck to work with? I have three of each but find that I work better with certain ones.

I have the Celtic Dragon Tarot which I love, I do read quite well with it and I think it is a beautifully done deck. I also recently aquired The Mystic Faerie Tarot and it is stunning. I'm still learning to read with it but I seem to be doing well so far. I also have the Gilded Tarot but for some reason I can't connect with that deck at all.

I also like working with Oracle cards and have The Oracle of Shadows and Light, a gorgeous deck that I read very well with, from the moment I saw it, I had to have it. I also have Wisdom of the Hidden Realms and the Druid Plant oracle but I've not worked with them so much.

I have found that it is so much easier to read with decks that call to you. The Celtic Dragon, Mystic Faerie and Shadows and Light decks were decks that spoke to me, pulled me toward them and I think, when choosing a deck for Tarot or Oracle, that feeling makes all the difference.

"The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by an invader. The mind is a complex and many-layered thing." Severus Snape - HP and the Order of the Phoenix

#2 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 05:28 AM

Have my own deck, made by me. :)

Jevne

#3 Freki

Freki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 05:37 AM

Call me boring... but the Rider-Waite deck remains my favorite after trying many decks.
~ Listen to them, the children of the night. What sweet music they make! ~
Bram Stoker's Dracula

#4 Lexi

Lexi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:17 AM

Call me boring... but the Rider-Waite deck remains my favorite after trying many decks.

Ditto. I've seen various beautiful decks, but Rider-Waite is the one that speaks to me with the most clarity, and it has a comforting familiarity about it that is lacking in most other decks I've tried.

Lexi [Ilexys Morighannan]

“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.”
- Roald Dahl

#5 Gramayr

Gramayr

'Mysterio'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:17 AM

My go to deck is my Thoth tarot, I just love the imagery though I've also got the Haindl deck which I've yet to try.
I've had/got others which I've acquired but never jelled with them - one (dragon tarot) I gave away and the other is in a drawer (a fluffy one my mum bought me 'cos it looked nice lol)

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." - Albert Einstein

#6 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:27 AM

Usually Rider-Waite but for a treat Thoth. Only problem with them is the cards are so big for my little hands!
)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#7 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:33 AM

My first and most used deck is the Sharman-Caselli deck, which a few people have mocked in the past as it was a deck designed to go with a 'beginners kit' it's a Rider-Waite-Smith clone (I work better with those than with Thoth based decks, I've found) and softly coloured which I like, with interesting alterations in the symbolism from the parent deck.

I also have the Ancient Egyptian Tarot by Clive Barrett and despite the authors obvious bias the deck is symbolically closer to RWS with more bold colouring and diagrams, it's also larger so my tiny little hands sometimes struggle with it. It's a good deck for passionate affairs I've found with a flair for intense readings. This is partly I believe due to the author signifying fire as the 'highest' of the elements and representing a state of spiritual perfection which melds in a strange way with my own correspondences.

Ones I am eyeing up to buy are the the Buckland Romani Tarot, not for the historical accuracy as I understand they are severely lacking, but having seen the deck it's an interesting set of cards with a very down to earth feeling to them. The Llewellyn Tarot as I, again, love the imagery and the welsh mythology interests me in it. Finally the Shadowscapes Tarot is ethereal and evocativewith a great deal of imagination and otherworldy qualities instilled in each illustration.

#8 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:56 AM

I have tried a few and my Nova mini deck is still my favorite. With the way I choose to read, these are more comfortable in my small hands and the symbolism is simple and speaks to me.

Attached Files

#9 Lela

Lela

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:05 PM

I have to say it's hard for me to pick a favorite because each deck I have serves a different purpose depending on the query, but if I had to choose one, it's the Paulina. I'd have to say it's definitely my comfort deck.

#10 Vermilion

Vermilion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:07 PM

Thoth
I am my own Keeper; my own Sower, my own Reaper.
~ V ~

#11 Guest_MissTree_*

Guest_MissTree_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2011 - 02:54 PM

Gilded Tarot

#12 Lexi

Lexi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:18 PM

I have tried a few and my Nova mini deck is still my favorite. With the way I choose to read, these are more comfortable in my small hands and the symbolism is simple and speaks to me.

THIS was my very first tarot deck! Posted Image

I couldn't keep track of all the little cards, though. Lost a lot of them, and with my hands, they were hard to shuffle.

Lexi [Ilexys Morighannan]

“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.”
- Roald Dahl

#13 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:27 PM

So I have somewhere around 20+ tarot and oracle decks. But most I own just to collect. There are only 5 I use regularly as reading.

Personal readings: The Astral tarot (really rare deck. I made a post about them a while ago).

Soul Cards (oracle deck)

Public readings:

Robin wood

Deviant moon

Either personal or private:

Thoth
Or
New Orleans Voodoo tarot deck (this one reads more like an oracle than a regular tarot)

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#14 Oakbuchanan

Oakbuchanan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:03 PM

The Mythic tarot, and recently I recieved the Thoth deck as a gift.. It's exquisite.. But how's it pronounced? is it Thoth to rhyme with Moth? or Thoth to rhyme with growth? Anyone?

#15 Ancestral Celt

Ancestral Celt

Hermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:30 PM

The Greenwood will always be my favourite, though I do use others from time to time. Though, I should like to point out that the colours are nowhere near as garish as they appear on that website.

#16 Pye

Pye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:36 PM

The Mythic Tarot are what I use, when I use Tarot. I've had them a fair few years now and can't imagine using anything else-not sure why, I've looked and liked other sets. I'm just familiar with them I guess like a favorite pair of slippers. We fit each other well. I feel a loyalty to them somehow.
I have'nt picked them up for while, perhaps that was the reminder I needed.

Edited by Pye, 22 June 2011 - 07:38 PM.

'The apple cannot be stuck back on the Tree of Knowledge; once we begin to see, we are doomed and challenged to seek the strength to see more, not less.'
Arthur Miller

#17 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:39 PM

Not necessarily favorite, but I've never used anything but the Rider-Waite and Lenormand. Of the two I definitely prefer the Lenormand, but would like to experiment with others. Really want to paint my own but haven't gotten around to it.
"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#18 Oakbuchanan

Oakbuchanan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:41 PM

The Mythic Tarot are what I use, when I use Tarot. I've had them a fair few years now and can't imagine using anything else-not sure why, I've looked and liked other sets. I'm just familiar with them I guess like a favorite pair of slippers. We fit each other well. I feel a loyalty to them somehow.
I have'nt picked them up for while, perhaps that was the reminder I needed.

Hi Pye,

What dyou think of the new deck? leaves me cold personally, I think it was a serious bad case of gilding the lilly...

#19 LdyShalott

LdyShalott

NecRomancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:46 PM

Have my own deck, made by me. :)

Jevne

I have always wanted to make a deck, Jevne. I dont use tarot very often but my favorite deck is the World Spirit Tarot,.. Lauren, the artist, is a friend..

Most witches don’t believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.  T.P.

In order to understand the living.. you have to commune with the dead..
You are a tiny little soul carrying around a corpse.-- Epictetus
All experience is an arch wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move.

#20 Pye

Pye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:54 PM

Do you know, I was'nt even aware there was a new set. LoL. I've just checked them out-Mmm..I'll stick to my old ones. They're well loved, when they're used.
I see what you mean by gilding the lily.

I have Leormand but I've never felt comfortable with them in the same way as I do the Tarot, though they are a lovely set and gifted by a dear friend.

'The apple cannot be stuck back on the Tree of Knowledge; once we begin to see, we are doomed and challenged to seek the strength to see more, not less.'
Arthur Miller