Anne Bishop

Stacey

Anne Bishop books: http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/anne-bishop/

I was wondering if anyone else had read books by Anne Bishop and what they thought of them.

The Black Jewels series has 9 books in total, and they are fabulously written. The stories and some of the issues dealt with in them are quite dark but I do love her writing style and how well she can tell a story. They are darkly romantic and her heroine or main female character is Witch (also called Jaenelle), a terrifyingly powerful woman/witch/kindred mix who commands power never seen before. If you haven’t read them but love witchy fiction I would recommend them. If you have read them what do you think?

I also like her Tir Alaiin trilogy, some think it pales in comparison to BJs but I think they are completely different ideas. Tir Alaiin is about witches who command branches of the mother (earth, air, water, fire) and live in a world where the Fae think they are better and use the mortals as amusements. The stories also center around an Inquisitorial type group that kill/drain the Witches. I do love her play on mythology for some of the character’s names, I think she must be a fan of or read Aradia by Charles Leland. What do you think of this trilogy if you have read it?

Edited by Stacey

I've read, and loved, most of the Black Jewel series. I own but haven't read Tangled Webs.

One thing is though, Jaenelle is a bit of a Mary Sue, in that, she's pretty much perfect. Her only flaw really is getting overly-angry when she feels her "family" is threatened, and even that isn't much of a flaw. However, the books overall darkness makes Jaenelle being so perfect, less noticeable.

The author likes to play with the names of her characters, taking the names of the Devil and the like, and turning them into names like Daemon, Saetan, Lucivar, and such which is rather amusing.

This series is among my favorites of fiction, and would recommend it to anyone, but be warned there is sexual assault against children among a few less-dark-but-dark-none-the-less subjects in the book.

It is really clever how she did that, I liked the play on names. I also think that Jaenelle was very Mary Sue, but to a certain degree I don't really think she was ever the point of the story. I think she was the catalyst for healing three very damaged men. I have always thought that Daemon, Saetan and Lucivar were the point of the story and everyone else was there to advance their story.

Although, one thing I find mildly disturbing is that Anne Bishop's female characters have to be rape or almost raped victims, its very strange. I get that it goes with her 'dark' world and it is brilliantly done, there's no one quite like her, but it is still odd.