Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Essential Oil Cleaners

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#21 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:37 PM

For the Pine-Sol addicted Evergreen47:

There's no way to exactly replace Pine-Sol ... although Pine essential oil is what gives it most of its smell (it is 8-10% by volume), the laundry list of unpronounceable ingredients probably add their own tinge to it.

That said, a good disinfectant spray:

2 Tablespoons Borax (environmentally-friendly but don't allow kiddies or pets to get near the box or any spills)
1/4 cup Lemon juice
2 cups hot water

Combine all in a spray bottle and shake well, until the borax has completely dissolved.

Add 20 drops (or a wee bit more considering your addiction) of Pine essential oil.

Shake well before each use.

Alternatively, you can do what I do:

Mix half-and-half white vinegar & water, add enough EO of your choice (usually about 10 drops to cup of liquid) to kill most of the vinegar smell (you won't get rid of it all), shake well & clean. The vinegar smell will dissipate faster than the EO smell.

And just for posterity's sake, if nothing else, I'll mention that adding a little bit of hydrogen peroxide to any cleaning mixture really helps with disinfecting. (The stuff sold in the first aid aisle as "Hydrogen Peroxide Topical Solution" containing 3% HP is what I'm talking about.)

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#22 Evergreen47

Evergreen47

Ms. Spock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:26 AM

Thank you so much, MW! I was probably going to have to have an intervention soon! I'll let you know how it turns out.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

-=Frank Herbert=-

Rock on, gold dust woman. Take your silver spoon and dig your grave.

#23 Evergreen47

Evergreen47

Ms. Spock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:12 AM

Mixed up some "Faux-Sol" today while cleaning. Used half warm water, half white vinegar, 1/4 cup of Borax, and couple tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide.

In addition to Pine oil, I tossed in some Camphor and Eucalyptus to help with cold and flu season (still used mostly Pine)... it is SOOOO great!!! Thank you so much, MW!

Also! Shampooed the carpet and the upholstery with half water, half vineger, some hydrogen peroxide, and a squirt of non-foaming dish detergent. Added Tea Tree oil and Eucalyptus to cut the vinegar smell. SO GREAT!!

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

-=Frank Herbert=-

#24 blaquecinder

blaquecinder

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

wow theres alot of great suggestions here. Evergreen that mix you used on your carpets how well does it stand up to heavy traffic stains?
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost." J.R.R. Tolkien

#25 Lynn

Lynn

I've been InBetween

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

I just wanted to add to this thread some of my own recipes.

Basic can-clean-everywhere cleaner.

The "measurements" are a bit dicey, not exact,so bear with me!

This is for a 32 oz squirt bottle.

Apprx 20 0z white Vinegar
Apprx 25 tablespoons lemon juice
20-25 drops Eucalyptus essential oil
10-15 drops Lavender Essential oil
5-10 drops any oil of your choice for more nice smells.
Top off with HOT water and shake 'er up and let 'er rip!

Also for tough stains and odors--say like your cat has been peeing unnoticed in a spot on the carpet for a few weeks? This plus liberal amounts of baking soda can work wonders tho it takes a LOT of elbow grease, and is a real mess before making it less of a mess. :)

'When in danger, when in doubt, Run in circles, scream and shout" Robert Heinlein.
"Women and cats will do as they please, men and dogs need to relax and get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein

"In Wildness is the preservation of the World." Henry David Thoreau

#26 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

I just wanted to add to this thread some of my own recipes.

Basic can-clean-everywhere cleaner.

The "measurements" are a bit dicey, not exact,so bear with me!

This is for a 32 oz squirt bottle.

Apprx 20 0z white Vinegar
Apprx 25 tablespoons lemon juice
20-25 drops Eucalyptus essential oil
10-15 drops Lavender Essential oil
5-10 drops any oil of your choice for more nice smells.
Top off with HOT water and shake 'er up and let 'er rip!

Also for tough stains and odors--say like your cat has been peeing unnoticed in a spot on the carpet for a few weeks? This plus liberal amounts of baking soda can work wonders tho it takes a LOT of elbow grease, and is a real mess before making it less of a mess. :smile:

This one sounds like something up my ally.

Eucalyptus, btw, is great for any pet odors but if its not diluted enough, it will eat the skin off of your fingers like a weak acid and it will create blisters after scrubbing. I kept getting the shit on my fingers even though I was careful to wash my hands after scrubbing and couldn't figure out where it was comming from. I finally found that there was some on the lid when I unscrewed it. :sweat:

#27 Lynn

Lynn

I've been InBetween

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:12 AM

This one sounds like something up my ally.

Eucalyptus, btw, is great for any pet odors but if its not diluted enough, it will eat the skin off of your fingers like a weak acid and it will create blisters after scrubbing. I kept getting the shit on my fingers even though I was careful to wash my hands after scrubbing and couldn't figure out where it was comming from. I finally found that there was some on the lid when I unscrewed it. :sweat:

Thank you belatedly, but heartfelt! :) I did not know that . . .

'When in danger, when in doubt, Run in circles, scream and shout" Robert Heinlein.
"Women and cats will do as they please, men and dogs need to relax and get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein

"In Wildness is the preservation of the World." Henry David Thoreau

#28 Evergreen47

Evergreen47

Ms. Spock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:19 AM

wow theres alot of great suggestions here. Evergreen that mix you used on your carpets how well does it stand up to heavy traffic stains?

Sorry, I'm so late with responding, but it worked amazing!

-=Frank Herbert=-

#29 Kera

Kera

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

So, I fell in love with a remedy I made the other day and after reading Blyss's post on Essential oil remedies for healing, I was wondering if anyone has any recipes for Essential Oil cleaners for the home. I tend to like things that are very simple to make and have recognizable ingredients. Just like the Lavender oil and Tea Tree oil blend. I will use that one eventually because it is very simple. I'm tired of using harsh chemicals to clean, it really takes a toll on my breathing. So anyone got any good recipies? I know you hoodoo folks have some floor washes, but any that are easy to make?

Hi Rose, I use essential oils all the time. Anything with Lemon is great for cleansing. Ananda is a fab website for every existing oil on earth, they are 100% pure and come from all over the world, not too expensive either, well depending on the grade of oil, they give many variations and descriptions of each and every oil. They also have made to order blends that are wonderful. I am an estehtician and use essential oils in almost all of my treatments.
Essential oils are very powerful, you have to be careful. Each and everyone has it's own specific % of vibration, very powerful some of them! Good luck and have fun experimenting with them, do some research first.

Regards,
Kera

Why Pamper Life's Complexities When the Leather Runs Smooth On The Passenger Seat -Morrissey

#30 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:49 AM

Hi Rose, I use essential oils all the time. Anything with Lemon is great for cleansing. Ananda is a fab website for every existing oil on earth, they are 100% pure and come from all over the world, not too expensive either, well depending on the grade of oil, they give many variations and descriptions of each and every oil. They also have made to order blends that are wonderful. I am an estehtician and use essential oils in almost all of my treatments.
Essential oils are very powerful, you have to be careful. Each and everyone has it's own specific % of vibration, very powerful some of them! Good luck and have fun experimenting with them, do some research first.

Regards,
Kera

Hey thanks for the website. Its great to see that you are passionate about oils. I know there are some people on here that are new and haven't gotten to know me. so I just want to say that even though I had a recent mishap with spilled oil, (one of my oils had spilled in my case and got on the cap) I have done my research as I have been working with oils for several years now. It seems to be a common theme this week that I need schooling in oils. Sometimes shit happens whether you are well read or not. My problem at the time was not listening to my common sense because I knew I should have put gloves on, but I was too lazy to go to the garage and get some...hence my scarred fingers. Oh well, live and learn. I am not immune from doing stupid shit. LOL!

#31 bluelily

bluelily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:36 AM

I am sorry if this has been mentioned, but I just wanted to post that if you have pets to be careful when using tea tree oil, because it is toxic to them. It is however one of my absolute favorite pimple remedies :P . And it does go well in cleansers if animals are not a concern :)

I also like to use unscented Dr. Bronners with a bit of lemon essential oil to clean with.

http://www.petpoison...n/tea-tree-oil/

http://avetsguidetol...l-toxicity.html

#32 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:04 PM

I don't really work with essential oils but I do enjoy working with herbs.  I made this cleaning recipe from Learning Herbs.com http://www.learningh...s_issue_64.html

It's vinegar, thyme and lavendar.  The amounts that they give in the recipe are actually enough to make a gallon - not a quart. 

It's easy enough to make - just put the herbs in the jar, cover with vinegar and let it sit for a couple months.  It comes out a vibrant red from the thyme and works great. 

Edited by RoseRed, 23 July 2013 - 12:04 PM.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#33 aurorarosepsychic

aurorarosepsychic

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

I have been looking for recipes like this thanks for posting

#34 NiamhMorganaAstra

NiamhMorganaAstra

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:45 PM

I know I have a bagillion recipes. It all depends on what you are looking for, yes essential oils can clean; but what are you cleaning

For example

Tea tree oil can be used to clean the face, house (bathroom in particular comes to mind)

Lemon oil can be used as an astringent for the face, as a good (general) all purpose house cleaner

For tile floors I usually do warm water, a splash of vinegar, with lemon. You can even sub the vinegar for baking soda (if you dont like the smell of vinegar.)

Edited by NiamhMorganaAstra, 29 July 2013 - 01:45 PM.