- - - - -

So PC

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_briarpatch_*

Guest_briarpatch_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2011 - 07:07 AM

I was chatting with some friends today and one dropped an interesting bombshell on me. Apparently Enid Blyton books are going to be edited to be more 'pc' and 'reader friendly'. This mad delusion of pc seems to be permeating everywhere, from nursery rhymes to fairytales to everywhere a slightly 'darker' viewpoint can be seen or read. I have to say I am so completely offended by this changing of ideas. Fairytales in my day (ok I'm only 27 but still....) were there to entertain but also to teach a valuable moral lesson, Little Red Riding Hood was meant to learn the dangers of walking alone at night - now her and the wolf are friends....really? Little Miss Muffett is making friends with the Spider....really? You know what, Humpty got broken and couldn't be put back together again - that's life.

All I can say is this is absolute trash. Where is it going to benefit children to read fluffy bunny bullshit? Are we now going to have to pretend that the Big Bad Wolf (a symbol of the bad things and people in the world) doesn't exist? Are we now going to let them be taught that everything is goodness and light? Really?

I am glad that my mother held onto all of my childhood books (including fairytales, nursery rhymes and my Enid Blyton's) because if I ever have children, that is what they will read, not the pc rubbish.

#2 Oakbuchanan

Oakbuchanan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 08:30 AM

What exactly is going to be edited regarding EBs books?

#3 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2011 - 09:03 AM

This is from 2006

http://www.enidblyto...topic.php?t=685

I had a collection of `Enid Blyton` books when I was young and I used to read `Dr Seuss` as a child, I was to innocent to read anything "Un-PC" into them.

I still have a collection of Dr Seuss books that I bought for my son when he was a toddler.

#4 Gramayr

Gramayr

'Mysterio'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:07 AM

Hmm. How many folks here sung Rock a by baby on a tree top to theirs or had it sung to them, suppose the thought of having a crib crashing out of a tree followed by a plummeting child will now be a thing of the past?

What's it going to change? Absolutely nothing!

My 4 year old daughter was playing in the bath with the toy net (which looks like a duck), I asked what she was doing and she said she was pretending it's eyes were bleeding.. Then she lay on her bedroom floor wrapped in her towel and said she was pretending to be dead.. So what's the point in changing kids books to be more PC (unless they change Hansel and Grettel to 'let's make this lovely old lady a cup of tea' instead of shoving her in the oven.. :rolleyes_witch: )

Often find the people that want to make these sorts changes either have no kids of their own, were bullied as a child or are religious. I suppose Frankenstein's monster will now have string out of his back which when pulled will make him say 'mummy'..

They darent touch the bible though will they or other religious texts - but that's another issue..

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." - Albert Einstein

#5 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:48 AM

I had a collection of `Enid Blyton` books when I was young and I used to read `Dr Seuss` as a child, I was to innocent to read anything "Un-PC" into them.

I still have a collection of Dr Seuss books that I bought for my son when he was a toddler.

I just checked my books, I have 27 in all of Theodor Seuss Geisel. They are not all Dr Seuss as that is just a pen name of which he had many. I'm not sure what happened to my Enid Blyton books. :frown:

#6 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 01:56 PM

I know the Three Gollywogs became the Three Pixies but not sure when that happened, the books were my mothers so was a later strata of PC alterations.

Myself, I'm going to keep the traditional tales I grew up with, they were designed to provide lessons, advice and a taste of fear, not proclaimations of anything bad that happens to you is because someone else is mean and it will all be better because some chap will come along and kick their ass for you while you mope.

#7 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:04 PM

I also will keep these tales in there original, traditional form to pass on to my future kids. I picked up a very nice hardcover of Grims Fairytales a few weeks ago to save. That I want to save and, I know it sounds corny, but the Disney cartoons aswell, the classic ones because I grew up with those. I will also get Hans Christian Anderson's fairytales next time I go to the book store. I grew up with his verson of the little mermaid first, the one where she turns to foam because she can't kill her beloved, the ultimate sacrifice for love. It had a profound affect on my little mind, but not a bad one. It made me understand that sometimes there are no happy endings and that is life, as was its purpose.

#8 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:17 PM

I have three pertinent questions:

1 Who is making these decisions?

2 Are they politically or religiously motivated?

3 With all the allusions to homosexuality in Noddy & Big Ears that caused such a stir, will these now be drawn attention to?

Conspiracy theorists will have a bean-feast with this news, particularly those who see "Big Brother" being a self-actualised prophecy.

Any thoughts on this?

FFFF
Elf

#9 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:23 PM

3 With all the allusions to homosexuality in Noddy & Big Ears that caused such a stir, will these now be drawn attention to?

Conspiracy theorists will have a bean-feast with this news, particularly those who see "Big Brother" being a self-actualised prophecy.

Any thoughts on this?

FFFF
Elf

Yes, but I'm not posting it here. I have my own theory's of what Big Brother is doing and they have nothing to do with witchcraft

#10 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:24 PM

[size="3"] Fairytales in my day ... were there to entertain but also to teach a valuable moral lesson, Little Red Riding Hood was meant to learn the dangers of walking alone at night - now her and the wolf are friends....really?
All I can say is this is absolute trash. Where is it going to benefit children to read fluffy bunny bullshit?
size]

Well, considering this is a witchcraft forum, please note that you have already been taught and accepted "fluffy bunny (a term I personally hate) bullshit" since Little Red Riding Hood in its original meaning was not about "the dangers of walking alone at night." For more details if you are interested see https://web.gsc.edu/...Riding Hood.htm

M

#11 Oakbuchanan

Oakbuchanan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 04:32 PM

What exactly is going to be edited regarding EBs books?

Firstly, Id be surprised if political correctness was the only motivation behind any editing. Money is to be made and like it or not at the time of writing the world in which Enid Blyton lived was a very different place to now. So rebranding and 'some' editing would definitely have to be made if the books are gonna last for future generations of children and of course if they are gonna sell..

I think its important to differentiate between, ridiculous, nanny state meddling/cotton wool wrapping political correctness gone mad, and cultural and social evolution that no longer deem the word 'Nigger' to be an acceptable colloquialism . For example, It may have been ok for certain 70s sitcoms here in the UK to refer to someone of Afro Caribbean origin as a 'wog' but it sure aint socially cool now, you just wont see it, its no longer acceptable in popular culture..Personally I think thats a good thing..

I dont think that has anything to do with political correctness, more to do with respect if anything.
Im not a big fan of EB myself, never was. But I know alot of people out there who grew up on those famous five books and loved them. It would be a shame if EBs contribution to literature were to disappear into history, being remembered for all the wrong reasons, rather than as great children's stories.

However In a far as political correctness goes regarding some of the other points Briar made, I absolutely agree, and Id add those meddling little shits need a good boot where the sun dont shine.

#12 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2011 - 05:03 PM

"Fairy Tales" and "Nursery Rhymes" of old, what we would call "classical", ALL contain allegory, just like the Xtian Bible, the Tirikural, et al. It is PART of the message. It may or may not be prosthelising(that can't be the correct spelling!) as is so evident in the majority C S Lewis' works or the non-Xtian reaction to same in Golden Compass but cettainly has double meaning(s).

Parents and Nannies (like mine for instance) always both wrap their kids in cotton-wool AND allow personal life discovery through knocks and frightful discoveries at the same time, at least those who REALLY want their kids to grow up with an open mind while atending to their safety. If this is not the norm then my wish is for everyone to have had the great fortune to have parents and a nanny like I did.

I grew up on Enid Blighton and those fairy tales of old, I hope I fit into an accepted category for those running the rule over me. EB and her "time" is one I would gladly return to, but then I was in a very good place for me then, and I had my share of the hard-end of life too.

The biggest fear I have for the future is both govt.& religious control of the populace, other than the destruction of the planet's eco-system. It's insidious tentacles are so evident in this part of the world, censorship is back, and this case we are talking about is an example methinks.

Once upon a time.....

FFFF
Elf

#13 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 05:31 PM

Any thoughts on this?

FFFF
Elf

I've never read (nor heard of) these books before. However, based on what I'm reading in this thread, they sound like my cup of tea.

As to who's making the decisions, it would be whoever owns the rights to the books. As EB is deceased, it would be either her estate or the publisher, depending on how the contract was worded. It sounds to me like someone is wanting to make more money than the books are currently bringing. Remember, the 'moral majority' holds sway in a good proportion of the Western world and they are lobbying to have everything PC. Hell, they've even tried to have the Harry Potter books banned from public & school libraries (to no avail, thank goodness). (Fahrenheit 451, anyone?)

My kids are grown with kids of their own. Thankfully, my grandchildren will grow up with 'fairy tales' as they were originally written (as far as we can), with the 'bad' parts being teaching moments. I'm a huge fan of Heckle & Jeckle and they are probably the most non-PC cartoon characters around ... to the point that the cartoons are just now available on DVD - and those that are available aren't officially licensed. I would have no problems with my grandkids watching those (when they're older), as long as there was an adult around to explain how times have changed.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#14 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:12 AM

The Enid Blyton books are very popular and have been published over and over again. Most of the changes are to remove, as Oak said, things no longer acceptable in popular culture.
For example, when Noddy and Big Ears go into the big bad wood, they are no longer attacked by Gollywogs. (You can imagine the illustrations) Instead they have to fight off the goblins.
I have no problem with these sorts of changes. The essence of her books remain unchanged.

)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#15 Guest_briarpatch_*

Guest_briarpatch_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:12 AM

Well, considering this is a witchcraft forum, please note that you have already been taught and accepted "fluffy bunny (a term I personally hate) bullshit" since Little Red Riding Hood in its original meaning was not about "the dangers of walking alone at night." For more details if you are interested see https://web.gsc.edu/...Riding Hood.htm

M

It was not my intention to imply that 'fluffy bunny bullshit' was used as a derogatory term, I hate it as well when used in relation to pagan newbies. In that context it is not acceptable because all of us were new at some point and were not 'fluffy bunny'. The use of that term to me brings up an image of a happy little fluffy bunny (rabbit) as a metaphor for all is right in the world. It is an illustration to most of happiness, peace and innocence and it is an unrealistic viewpoint to teach children I think - in this world stuff happens.

I read the article, it was strange. To me, LRRH always illustrated the dangers of being alone at night, that was my view growing up, never really thought she was a metaphor for what was talked about in that article.

Side Note: One last thing on the 'fluffy bunny' thing. To illustrate my point in a more graphic fashion, I went outside the other night - my cat had caught and killed a little bunny and was attempting to throw it in the air to swat. Like I said - fluffy bunny bullshit and that bunny got it.

#16 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:10 AM

Sorry briarpatch, I have no idea what your delivery here intends to convey, giving your quote as you did certainly seemed to be as most took it, your reply did not clarify anything for me.
Elfyd

#17 Guest_briarpatch_*

Guest_briarpatch_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:56 AM

The quote in my post wasn't mine.

I also meant by 'fluffy bunny' that when you think of one, you get this happiness and light image of a cute bunny, it was not meant as a derogatory term at all.

My point, to oversimplify, was simply that by changing these stories they are taking away a valuable learning experience for children. By making the stories all happy happy the moral lessons we learned as children from fairytales, nursery rhymes and even Enid Blyton books will be lost on the next generation of children.

Mind you, as my dad pointed out, not many kids read these days so perhaps my point is moot anyway.

#18 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:31 AM

I also meant by 'fluffy bunny' that when you think of one, you get this happiness and light image of a cute bunny, it was not meant as a derogatory term at all.

My point, to oversimplify, was simply that by changing these stories they are taking away a valuable learning experience for children. By making the stories all happy happy the moral lessons we learned as children from fairytales, nursery rhymes and even Enid Blyton books will be lost on the next generation of children.

Mind you, as my dad pointed out, not many kids read these days so perhaps my point is moot anyway.

I can speak for anyone else's kids, but my two (2 & 4) are read books every night and we sit and read during the day too - my 4 year old is already starting to pick out different letters and words and love books. I have a whole load of enid blyton books from when I was younger waiting for them (although I will read them first and decide if I need to change them! lol)

I know this is getting off topic - but I get a bit annoyed that people think no-one is bothering to get their kids to read nowadays - I think most mums just don't advertise it on a daily basis! :chakrahearts:

#19 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:43 AM

Sorry briarpatch, I have no idea what your delivery here intends to convey, giving your quote as you did certainly seemed to be as most took it, your reply did not clarify anything for me.
Elfyd

Yeah, agreed.

#20 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:32 PM

We know the quote, as the link illustrated, was not yours, it was your own use of "that" term that raised eyebrows. It is a good idea to be clear in these maters particularly when dropping in with the good ol' fluffy-bunny mantra.
The news of this movement I feel is important, I am concerned with the literate state of the current and coming generations including censorship. For this I thank you for you giving us this link.
Elfyd