78 replies to this topic

#61 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:24 PM

I've mentioned elsewhere about Bog-Oak that I got from Drumshanbo in Ireland. . . .

Foxman,

I realize that your posts are primarily composed on information from your experiences and travels.  I am finding those details quite interesting; thank you for sharing.  For the auxiliary content, however, would you be kind enough, when appropriate, to include some references or suggested resources for those of us, who like to do our own in-depth research on the subjects? 

Thank you much.

Jevne

#62 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 04:59 AM

Bump!
Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#63 Levinthross

Levinthross

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 08:24 AM

Has anyone utilised lightning struck wood before? I know its used in hoodoo for power and destruction but I've never come across someone who's worked with it? Any thoughts? Or maybe the characteristics of a lightning struck wand?

#64 Anara

Anara

aspire beyond fear of death (Bhairavi)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 01:47 PM

Has anyone utilised lightning struck wood before? I know its used in hoodoo for power and destruction but I've never come across someone who's worked with it? Any thoughts? Or maybe the characteristics of a lightning struck wand?

I have used lightning struck wood. Best I can describe it, it is like lightning itself. Highly, highly charged (and the charge doesn't fade with time). There are other lightning struck items with similar properties, I believe. For example, I have a piece of fulgurite which is lightning struck/fused sand and it exhibits a similar charge and feel. They are pretty cool. :)

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#65 Nabu

Nabu

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 06:00 PM

I have access to a tree that was lightening struck in the spring of this year . It has already fallen over on the ground. I actually heard the strike when it happened , went out a couple of weeks later and found it up in the tree line behind my property , bark all sprayed out , some was even stuck in the ground like spears . I have wondered what I could make or do with some of the wood , before it all rots away. Maybe some suggestions from the folks here......

Nabu

Strong of Heart wins the Day , let not yourself be dismayed !

#66 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 09:21 PM

For now, I would just go out and salvage whatever pieces speak to you. You'll figure out what to do with them eventually (probably when you have need of it lol).

A spear with the energy of lightening - that's a hell of a thing to have.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#67 Anara

Anara

aspire beyond fear of death (Bhairavi)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 11:27 PM

Yep, that's what I would do too-salvage whatever is calling to you & you'll know what to do with it when the time is right.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#68 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 12:44 AM

I have a piece of lightening-struck dogwood. I haven't used it yet, because I'm having trouble processing it. The energy is palpable. That's about all I really know so far, that it is super strong.
Don't drink from the river, drink from the well.

#69 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 12:13 PM

I bet. There's a whirlwind of chaotic energies tempered by gentleness.
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#70 Nabu

Nabu

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:10 PM

Oh , I do plan on a salvage operation especially since it has fell over on the ground . Just a matter of doing it , much of the wood has already decayed since the spring . Boxes and wands came to mind when I first found it , now to find folks that do have a use for the energy from the strike . This is something that is not often available to some , and I should make use of it and not waste the opportunity .really should have taken pics of it when I found it , but hindsight sometimes kicks in after the fact. Busy time ahead with this material of fortunate gift.

Nabu

Strong of Heart wins the Day , let not yourself be dismayed !

#71 Levinthross

Levinthross

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:09 AM

Lol you win and lose some I just added some to my regular mojo so well see how that goes in the coming week but a lightning soearvseems like a great tool for invoking justice or divine judgment

#72 melshuster

melshuster

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 02:10 PM

IVY / VINE 
The Ivy was sacred to Osiris as well as to Dionysus. 
Vine and Ivy come next to each other at the turn of the year, and are jointly dedicated to resurrection. 
Presumably, this is because they are the only two trees that grow spirally. 
The Vine also symbolizes resurrection because its strength is preserved in the wine. 
MAGICKAL ASPECTS: (VINE) Faerie work, Joy, Exhilaration, Wrath, Rebirth. (IVY) Fidelity, Constancy, Love, Intoxication. 

I wonder if the type of ivy/vine is significant. For example, grape vine vs. kudzu......kudzu is everywhere around here.....lol

#73 BloodandSpicebush

BloodandSpicebush

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 01:21 AM

I've been researching and writing a lot about the folkloric uses of wood on my blog recently, I'm stoked to know others are interested in this too! Anyone else a wood carver? I make spoons, bowls, stangs, and wands with a variety of southeastern hardwoods. 

#74 Belle

Belle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 07:58 AM

I have a fire wand. The house burned down and it was a remnant from that. It is charred, but wand shaped and it's probably redwood.

#75 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 02:12 PM

Great stuff here,

I think can add a hand full I didn't notice reading through.

Holly is also a symbol of life and death to some. I would figure this is related to it being poisonous and medicinal.

Musselwood has the expected strength, protection, and permanence. It has been said to be used to control the will of others particularly animals. Most likely because it was used to make good ox yokes, or maybe vise versa. But, I have also been told protection from fire which I would like to learn more about if anyone has heard the same.

I will also add for earlier questions, There are a lot of trees known as Ironwood this is one it is also known as American Hornbeam and the technical folk call it Carpinus caroliniana.

Hickory twists have been handy to folk in things relating to secretes. Keeping them and fining them out. I've always heard this and encountered it all up and down the east coast of the U.S. Why make good sense to me but, I wonder if it's origins are native or pioneer, and if it pops up anywhere else.

Birch has been used for things relating to spirits. I was told as a kid that a spirit may use the shade of a birch as a doorway to the living world, or to be seen or heard by the living. It have seen where it was used relating to animation and sentience. The closest folk lore I found so far was from around Russia.

Lilac I learned growing up held the magic of rebirth. I always thought this must have to do with spring and the cloud of fragrance. One year a hard winter took some branches down off my lilac. They were tossed in the wood pile to dry till after midsummer. Then looking for a pole to prop a net for my strawberry one was cut into a stake and driven into the ground. Before the first frost it had leaves and a few flowers. I get it now.

#76 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 01:13 AM

I'm bumping this as I just mentioned it in the Seekers' Forum and it's full of interesting info. I also happened to come across this graph earlier today (before seeing Flidais' tree thread) so thought I'd share it here...

And if anyone had any info on tropical woods they'd like to share, I'd love to read anything and everything you feel like sharing as it's very difficult to find magical info on most trees growing in this climate... (I live in Hawaii)

Attached Files

Edited by IslandBruja, 16 January 2017 - 01:13 AM.

#77 FlyingPeregrine

FlyingPeregrine

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:21 PM

I honestly wish I had a save button for all of the great stuff that I have found on this forum. 

This is such a great resource and I'm very glad you posted it. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flying Peregrine

#78 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:50 PM

I honestly wish I had a save button for all of the great stuff that I have found on this forum. 

This is such a great resource and I'm very glad you posted it.

You can always just follow the threads you like and they'll all be neatly saved under your profile's "Content I Follow" tab ;)

#79 Forester

Forester

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 01:14 PM

Sorry if I seem overly critical, but am I the only one for whom the "Celtic" "tree" alphabet (it is not really either of these) is quintessential neopaganism fluff? Less than a dozen are actually linked to trees before Graves wrote about them and even of these, they date to post medieval interpretation.

I have no problems with people assigning a value to something. What I dislike is dishonesty, pretending "druids" (those people we know nothing directly about) believed all sorts of things and were the ones to assign these values to the letters of that beautifully‚Äč primitive script, Ogham.

If it weren't for an obsession about all things "Celtic" and "druid" in one time period, we would never have these pseudohistorical associations that so many take as real. It's a little new agey.

Edited by Forester, 14 May 2017 - 01:17 PM.