Sign in to follow this  
Michele

Blood, Knots, and Cords

Do you think that menstrual blood and placenta are interchangable, or would they have completely different purposes since the placenta actually aids in nurturing life?

It's just me, but when I add my blood to something - menstrual or otherwise - I am adding ME. MY power, MY essence, MY self, but very much MY POWER. I would not use someone else's blood in my work unless I was making a working for them specifically (which would be unusual) or unless I was using their blood as a connection to them. My workings are MINE, my spells are mine, my power is mine, and I don't share well. I don't want anyone else's shit in my stuff effing it up. It would feel to me like I would be trying to borrow someone else's power and I would never trust someone else's power OVER my own. I might draw in part of another person to use an aspect of them or to use some of their energy, but I'd never trust their power over my own. I've used my son's essences, mostly for protection workings involving him. I'd use seamen from a male witch to MIX with my essence for the simple base-properties of the seamen, but I'd never, ever, use someone else's blood or essence IN PLACE of my own. My power is mine and no one can replace it in my workings.

M

M

Do you think that menstrual blood and placenta are interchangable, or would they have completely different purposes since the placenta actually aids in nurturing life?

I'd think the placenta would have very strong protective properties - especially for the child which was born from it. Much like the stump of the umbilical cord.

M

I'd think the placenta would have very strong protective properties - especially for the child which was born from it. Much like the stump of the umbilical cord.

M

After having my daughter, I planted the placenta beneath a tree.. as a sacred symbolism of life and for protection...

I'm always intrigued by how women claim that they are stronger during their period. Me and one of my best friends are probably so far on the other end of the spectrum it's not even vaguely amusing. I ended up going on the pill so I could skip some months simply as it was such a drain on my mental, emotional and most of all physical energy for one weekend a month (Yup, only lasted two days itself but then needed a week to recover from the physical symptoms, sod that for a game of soldiers)

I also feel incredibly drained during my period. But that's part of the reason I feel my menstrual blood has quite a bit of power. I put in so much pain, sweat, and tears during my period... I feel that a lot of that energy goes into the blood. And if I'm going to go through that, I might as well get as much use out of it as I can!

It's just me, but when I add my blood to something - menstrual or otherwise - I am adding ME. MY power, MY essence, MY self, but very much MY POWER. I would not use someone else's blood in my work unless I was making a working for them specifically (which would be unusual) or unless I was using their blood as a connection to them. My workings are MINE, my spells are mine, my power is mine, and I don't share well. I don't want anyone else's shit in my stuff effing it up. It would feel to me like I would be trying to borrow someone else's power and I would never trust someone else's power OVER my own. I might draw in part of another person to use an aspect of them or to use some of their energy, but I'd never trust their power over my own. I've used my son's essences, mostly for protection workings involving him. I'd use seamen from a male witch to MIX with my essence for the simple base-properties of the seamen, but I'd never, ever, use someone else's blood or essence IN PLACE of my own. My power is mine and no one can replace it in my workings.

M

This is how I feel as well. I prefer to use my own essence in my work, unless I'm doing something special for someone else.

But I've never thought to freeze my menstrual blood... I tend to use what I have on hand in the moment or I wait if I have to because I feel it has more power when it's fresh. In my mind, freezing it would kill some of it's potency.

But I've never thought to freeze my menstrual blood... I tend to use what I have on hand in the moment or I wait if I have to because I feel it has more power when it's fresh. In my mind, freezing it would kill some of it's potency.

About that you may be correct - I am makeing "fresh" and "frozen" cords and will let you know if I perceive a diff.

I made the first one tonight - was quite easy. I got the table set up with the things/connections I use when working. Shut out the cats (we ARE talking 9 foot lengths of jiggling, dangling cords here, lol). Got a bowl of blood-water the colour of a really deep red wine ready. It takes me about 20 minutes to braid a cord and I can "drop down" pretty fast, so I used a simple chant, repeated constantly under my breath with a rocking/bobbing motion as I braided: "Menstral blood that came from me into this cord I do braid thee; life to give or darkness still my blood I store to serve my will." The cord is now soaking on my north-realm "alter".

For those who don't bleed monthly: I was thinking, make a cord so you have it ready-braided with the intent of storing blood. Keep it at the ready and handy. Every time yoy nick yourself doing something, if you can hone focus quickly sit with the cord and staunch the wound with it, then tie a knot over the bloodied place in the cord. Do a chant to store it and imbide it while you stanch (I'd rock, too, but that's just something that happens to help me). I would keep the knots in "3s" on the cord - i.e. consider the cord ended when you have 3, 6, or 9 knots. You could charge this regularly so it would be very strong when you go to use it, and it would also be (depending on how you choose to work it) a very strong protection for anyone you love (and TOTALLY trust) to carry with them during danger - even a small piece of it would be protective. The upholstry-piping cords are great as they're like cotton wool, extremely absorbant. You could actually use them for any bodily fluid (or non-bodily for that matter, lol).

M

P.S. - add a touch of apple cider vinegar if you really want to "set" the colour. Also, you're gonna have to get your hands dirty. Poking it about with a stick of even stirring with a wand isn't enough. You have to stick your hands in and squeeze the liguid all the way through if you really want a decent colour to the cord that is evocative of it's purpose.

Guest Magdalena

M

The Caul I was born with was supposed to be powerful for me, and the myth says if it is destroyed one (the Caulbearer) would be cursed.

I was born in a house in a bedroom with a real fire that was lit at the time, my Nan was there at my birth, she tore the Caul off my face and threw it in the fire, my face was covered in blood. My mum was upset about what she had done, she wanted to keep it and give it to me when I was older. I wish my mum had stopped her or the midwife had stopped her at least, as my mum wouldn't have been in a position to and my Nan was a law unto herself.

I have worked with blood and various other body/animal parts for years. I also feel that menstral blood is very powerful and symbolic but i never thought of storing it on that way Michele so cheers for that ! :)

For those who don't bleed monthly: I was thinking, make a cord so you have it ready-braided with the intent of storing blood. Keep it at the ready and handy. Every time yoy nick yourself doing something, if you can hone focus quickly sit with the cord and staunch the wound with it, then tie a knot over the bloodied place in the cord.

M

Michele,

it would be good to have something handy which can be used in this way - I am more thinking about when the wee ones cut and graze themselves, blood could be transferred from a clean cloth to the braid.

I am thinking that incorporating knots and blood in this way, would provide additional protection for them. I have used knots but never with blood but you got me thinking..!

On the subject of knots, I am forever leaving knots in their shoelaces, as its bad luck to undo a knot which hasn't worked its work its magic yet. or to remove the knot at all!

Just to add an alternative to using a cord, an idea I got from a podcast, was to infuse a spool of white thread with your blood, which you could then keep on hand amongst your usual supplies to use as needed.

Just to add an alternative to using a cord, an idea I got from a podcast, was to infuse a spool of white thread with your blood, which you could then keep on hand amongst your usual supplies to use as needed.

Oh, this is a wonderful idea! I could see doing this with yarn also to use for some special crochet projects... hmm...

This may be an odd question... but I wonder what kind of braid everyone here uses when braiding cord... just a standard three strand braid? Or do you use a different braid style? I've really been enjoying doing five strand braids lately.

All these "threads" of suggestion are really super! I think one could use plain cotton white embroidary thread, also. Some of us older ladies have difficulties with our hands, eyes, ears.... gads the list is undaunting! lol.

Great Post/ Threads.

Regards,

Gypsy

Oh, this is a wonderful idea! I could see doing this with yarn also to use for some special crochet projects... hmm...

This may be an odd question... but I wonder what kind of braid everyone here uses when braiding cord... just a standard three strand braid? Or do you use a different braid style? I've really been enjoying doing five strand braids lately.

I use a three-strand braid, but I'm also obsessed with 3s or multiples thereof, lol.

M

Guest Elfyd

Michele,

it would be good to have something handy which can be used in this way - I am more thinking about when the wee ones cut and graze themselves, blood could be transferred from a clean cloth to the braid.

I am thinking that incorporating knots and blood in this way, would provide additional protection for them. I have used knots but never with blood but you got me thinking..!

On the subject of knots, I am forever leaving knots in their shoelaces, as its bad luck to undo a knot which hasn't worked its work its magic yet. or to remove the knot at all!

Night, Are you referring to knots tied for magical practices or knots in general? The reason for tis question is that I have long been fascinated by knots themselves and used to (waaaaay back as a Cub Scout) have quite a penchant for same. It would be interesting to incorporate more knots in my life/workings even if accidental knots.

FFFF

Elf

Night, Are you referring to knots tied for magical practices or knots in general? The reason for tis question is that I have long been fascinated by knots themselves and used to (waaaaay back as a Cub Scout) have quite a penchant for same. It would be interesting to incorporate more knots in my life/workings even if accidental knots.

FFFF

Elf

Hi Elf,

I have always loved knots too (was a Brownie, but not sure if we did much of the knot tying thing lol!).

In answer to you question I use knots in my magical workings with intent, and also on spur of the moment when they present themselves while doing mundane things.

Without prior thinking about magical workings, I often find myself tying knots in things (like my mind is on something else, but my fingers feel the need to be tying knots?) If you tie a knot in a loose thread or in something without really thinking about it, I believe its your subconscious doing that for a reason, and the knot should remain until you feel it can be released – I go along alot with my intuition so I kind of let that determine which odd knots I will untangle and which I intuitively feel need to be kept for a time or indefinitely.

Another example is my youngest, who is almost two, and she has always had a habit of twisting her hair as she gets sleepy. I try to get the tangles out but sometimes they have to be cut off (not too many though!) – I keep these as they are precious to me, her action of twisting the knot its powerful stuff I believe.

Then there are the times I come across knots in shoelaces and washing lines, and if I feel they are there for a reason I leave them, if not I release them – its an intuitive thing really, I usually feel they are there for protection of a sort.

In my workings I like to tie knots in sets of numbers into cords, I think these are called witches ladders. And use them in workings – you can tie them in and work through each knot as you focus your intent on the job in hand, some people like to chant while doing this, I mostly do it in my head, or hum a tune. I don’t ever untie these knots though.

It’s a bit like the folklore of tying a thread round your finger to remember something important, or if your finger gets trapped in a knot while tying a parcel with string, its an omen to watch out.

Though history knots have been used a lot in magic so there are plenty of avenues to go down with this!

Edited by winter night

Knots to me are like weaving, but different. Cords can be spirit roads - they can be roads along which things can travel, including the witch. Knots can be tied in to "programme" the road (hate that term but couldn't think of a better one) or to store something, or to use almost as a mala (sp?) for meditative purposes. I think the old art of macrame (sp) would be a wonderful art to revive for this purpose as it, to me, combines weaving and cord/knot work.

I was once trying to get in touch with something and had no clue how so I imagined an empty table waiting for what was needed to appear and a spool of yellow thread kept appearing which was totally lost on me (a duh moment, lol). Well threads are cords, cords are spirit roads, and yellow is a colour associated (to me) with communication.

M

Without prior thinking about magical workings, I often find myself tying knots in things (like my mind is on something else, but my fingers feel the need to be tying knots?) If you tie a knot in a loose thread or in something without really thinking about it, I believe its your subconscious doing that for a reason, and the knot should remain until you feel it can be released – I go along alot with my intuition so I kind of let that determine which odd knots I will untangle and which I intuitively feel need to be kept for a time or indefinitely.

I hadn't thought much about it before reading this, but I often tie knots in things. If I think about the things that I tie knots in, the overriding theme is binding or preventing that item from doing or causing harm. For example, we tie knots in our shoelaces, so we don't fall down. We tie knots in the rope, so that the boat doesn't float away.

I have always tied knots in plastic bags from the store to protect the children from suffocation. If that is the only reason though, why am I still doing it. My kids are in their late teens and early 20s. They are not likely to suffocate on a plastic bag, but I still have this uncontrollable urge to knot them. It is interesting to think of the historical, biological, etc. motivations behind knots.

I hadn't thought much about it before reading this, but I often tie knots in things. If I think about the things that I tie knots in, the overriding theme is binding or preventing that item from doing or causing harm. For example, we tie knots in our shoelaces, so we don't fall down. We tie knots in the rope, so that the boat doesn't float away.

I have always tied knots in plastic bags from the store to protect the children from suffocation. If that is the only reason though, why am I still doing it. My kids are in their late teens and early 20s. They are not likely to suffocate on a plastic bag, but I still have this uncontrollable urge to knot them. It is interesting to think of the historical, biological, etc. motivations behind knots.

maybe thats why we have thumbs - for tying knots? :vhappywitch: lol!

Knots to me are like weaving, but different. Cords can be spirit roads - they can be roads along which things can travel, including the witch. Knots can be tied in to "programme" the road (hate that term but couldn't think of a better one) or to store something, or to use almost as a mala (sp?) for meditative purposes. I think the old art of macrame (sp) would be a wonderful art to revive for this purpose as it, to me, combines weaving and cord/knot work.

I was once trying to get in touch with something and had no clue how so I imagined an empty table waiting for what was needed to appear and a spool of yellow thread kept appearing which was totally lost on me (a duh moment, lol). Well threads are cords, cords are spirit roads, and yellow is a colour associated (to me) with communication.

M

I totally get what you mean about 'programming' the road using knots. the number, spacing and size of the knots can say alot about the intent and intensity of the person tying them too.

ts like people saying 'they have knots in their stomach' when they are worried or troubled - the assocation with knots must run deep, as Jevne also posted.

M

Michele, there is something trance like and mystical about weaving... I would think you could infuse great intent and power into a weaving as well as macrame. I use the overhand or figure eight knot for ladders and bindings and the reef knot for making protective bundles or sage bundles.. but have never considered or given much thought as to why the difference.

On a side note.. One famous knot is the Gordian knot . In Greek mythology , an intricate knot tied by King Midas to an ox post, until the day came that one would untie it and become king of Asia. Alexander cut through it with his sword, producing the two required ends. In the book The White Goddess, Graves suggests the Gordian knot represented the ineffable name of Dionysis, knotted in rope like a cypher and passed on through generations of priests who revealed it to their kings.

On a practical note since I can't contribute towards the magical area of the discussion, I would suggest an easier way for collecting the blood would be to purchase and use a menstrual cup.

In the UK these are called Mooncups, and in the US I believe they're called Diva cups. Thy're extremely comfortable and easy to use ( and far more environmentally friendly ) , though of course even so they may not suit everyone. But I would highly reccomend one to anyone who's not heard of them or tried one yet.

You would simply need to remove the cup, and there you have a little rubber goblet full of blood to use fresh, or even as I think of it.... if you wanted to , you could keep a small separate ice cube tray handy and make blood cubes to freeze :cool: :oil-bottle: . Obviously keep that tray tied up in a bag or tub in the freezer to keep it away from food.

That way you wouldn't have to dilute it with water to get at it ( unless that was the intention of course ) simply pop out a cube and away you go !

On a practical note since I can't contribute towards the magical area of the discussion, I would suggest an easier way for collecting the blood would be to purchase and use a menstrual cup.

In the UK these are called Mooncups, and in the US I believe they're called Diva cups. Thy're extremely comfortable and easy to use ( and far more environmentally friendly ) , though of course even so they may not suit everyone. But I would highly reccomend one to anyone who's not heard of them or tried one yet.

You would simply need to remove the cup, and there you have a little rubber goblet full of blood to use fresh, or even as I think of it.... if you wanted to , you could keep a small separate ice cube tray handy and make blood cubes to freeze :cool: :oil-bottle: . Obviously keep that tray tied up in a bag or tub in the freezer to keep it away from food.

That way you wouldn't have to dilute it with water to get at it ( unless that was the intention of course ) simply pop out a cube and away you go !

Thank you, Honeythorn. I would not have made that connection. Sounds like a viable way of collecting blood. I appreciate you sharing it, magically motivated or not.

Jevne

Guest MissTree

Excellent suggestion! :applause:

ahh! so thats what a 'moon cup' is! ta! :smile: i did wonder....!

Great idea Honeythorn... blood cubes.. awesome.

Sign in to follow this