Reincarnation or a rich imagination?

Xaviera

My three-year-old granddaughter told me today that when she was ten she lived in a house called 'Tinders' and her Grandpa was teaching her to play a violin. She insisted that this Grandpa was certainly not either of her current 'Granddads'.

Of course there's some wonderfully inventive stuff on kids' TV these days that could inspire a child's imagination. But she does come up with some interesting names and past events that she seems very certain about. I want to know more but I don't like to interrogate her. Does anyone else have this sort of experience with children?

My three-year-old granddaughter told me today that when she was ten she lived in a house called 'Tinders' and her Grandpa was teaching her to play a violin. She insisted that this Grandpa was certainly not either of her current 'Granddads'.

Of course there's some wonderfully inventive stuff on kids' TV these days that could inspire a child's imagination. But she does come up with some interesting names and past events that she seems very certain about. I want to know more but I don't like to interrogate her. Does anyone else have this sort of experience with children?

Write it down in great detail. My son went through something similiar, also at the age of three, and he became so insistant about it with names and everything and so upset over several weeks that I couldn't remember this that I had to stop the conversations about it and I am sorely sorry now that I didn't write down all the names and info he brought up. He mentioned coins and a detailed description of the way they looked, horses, people's names. I would love to try and google it all now, but alas, I did not write it down :-(

M

I just finished a book on Bon and Tibetan Buddhism. Within the book there was a section dedicated to essentially lending proof to the topic of reincarnation. All of the examples dealt with children and all were fascinating. In one case a two year old Lebanese boy (can't off the top remember his name) began speaking to his parents about his past life soon after he learned to speak. He knew his name, what he did for a living, where he lived (exact address) and frequently told detailed stories about his past life. One day a man was visiting the village and it just so happened that the man was from the village where the boy "used" to live and was in fact a past neighbor. The man was able to testify to the accuracy of the boy's stories, even a detailed story about an affair.

While not common, such phenomena is not uncommon. A reason was provided for why children are affected in this way more so than adults but again I'll have to get out the book to say for sure.

Guest Magdalena

My son, when he was younger, on a few occasions talked about his other mother, I can't recall the conversation, It was to long ago, but I can clearly remember him sobbing his heart out saying "He didn't want me to die" on each occasion of the conversation.

I did find it both unusual and interesting,

My niece used to talk like that when she was little, never thought of it being about past life's, it never made much since We alway thought she was very imaginative. i will have to ask my sister if she remembers any of her stories.

Hi Absinthe,

Like Michele says, I certainly think this is worth keeping a journal about. After all, if it turns out legit, then you would have some very viable information for research. If not, no harm done, you just have a memoir to share with your child about their thoughts when they were young. :)

That said, I had a similar experience that involved myself. When I was little I had visions of people and places in Africa. I would dream of it, felt that I was there. I can still see it, see the people in my mind's eye. Always felt like I miss the lands. Of course the adults around me would have a good chuckle which I can understand. Then, about 5 years ago, I was with a Reiki master, who was trying to go into my possible past lives to see if he can find some kind of origin for these nasty middle of the forehead head aches I frequently get (there is a train of thought that some of your chronic ailments were brought on from a past life). While he was performing the ceremony, I kept seeing two types of images. In one I was in Africa in the middle of chaos and battle. The other image was an antique gun firing off in the darkness. After it was done, he told me that the first vision he saw was that I had been in a clan in Africa long ago, and there was some kind of territorial war that took place with another clan, and I caught a spear in the center of my forehead. In the more recent but still long ago one, he explained that I was what people would have considered a witch, and although I did a lot of good things for those around me, healing, and what not, some folks feared me, and a group of men elected to off me late at night. A gun was used, hit me in the center of my forehead, but my hard skull prevented the bullet from going all the way in, so it lodged in my forehead and burned there for a bit. It's remarkable what he picked up on considering that I had those visions when I was a kid, combined with always a very strong affinity for both Africa and the craft, and he didn't even know me from Adam. So that could be another idea for when your child grows some and if he still has these feelings, a Reiki person or some kind of past life exploration may really be beneficial.

Guest MissTree

I saw something like this with my goddaughter when she was about 4. All that summer, she talked about wanting to move back to "the other house". When anyone asked her about the "other house", she'd roll her eyes (so cute! lol) and say "The one I bought!" She was very insistent on it. She was also very disgusted that we didn't know which house she was talking about.

I never heard her talk about who she was in that house, etc., or any other details. It's possible her parents heard more but (knowing them) dismissed it as merely an active imagination. :-/

Very interesting ! I don't know, I don't have anybody of that age to interact with, however, perhaps you can have an alone time with her, and draw pictures of these events that have jostled her memory. I do do do think you should journal this though, just for memory keeping for her as she got older. Encourage her to the best of her ability to draw what she visions a " violin " to be. Or perhaps the name Tinders was the name plate on the house that this particular Grandpa's last name was. Include memories of your own self at 10. Fascinating stuff. Just food for thought.

Regards,

Gypsy

Edited : Ten year olds can read better than 3 year olds ... ya think?

I have spent a lot of time around small children over the years and I have noticed that particularly in children between the ages of three and five that it is not uncommon for then to talk about what they did when they "were big". Most parents dismiss this as confusion, but I disagree. Even young children grasp the fact that they were once babies and that they will be big later on. For many years I have thought that there is a period of time in between cognitive stages of development where children are able to access past life memories as their own, giving them a brief oppertunity to share them.

Whether it be an actually past life experience, the result of genetic memory or another spiritual influence, I couldn't honestly say. However since people are able to access these memories under hypnosis as adults it seems plausible to me that after a certain stage in mental development children simply (unconsciously) file these memories away into another lass accessible part of the brain.

Another point to remember is that small children are renowned for having excellent psychic abilities.

My son is four and he has given us plenty of reason to think that he can see spirits that we cannot. He does also talk about when he was "the Grandad". Having said that I also know that he is aware that before he was big, as he puts it, he was a baby.

A journal is definitely a great idea.

In my opinion it very well could be although I have still to make up my mind if I believe in the whole past life thing. It seems possible, yet that there may be more to it. I do however, remember having a repeated experience as a very young child, three or four. At random times I would get the same dream over and over about all this panic and confusion and then an explosion. After the explosion, there is only blackness and this precise steady ticking with a feeling of the most intense calm like nothing mattered anymore. Not sure if this was or will be or what it means. Kind of felt like a death sequence back then. I would get this feeling of profound realization and then it would fade away and cloud so I couldn't really dscribe the events leading up to it, just the "end scene" so to speak. At the time I remeber being so frustrated as I wanted to tell my mom about it but I didn't know the words to describe it because I could speak that well yet. Or should I say, they couldn't understand that well yet as I knew what I was saying. I remember back then, my mind was a sharp as it is today. In my mind I don't feel a day older, the way I see it, my body just changed and now its slowly breaking down. My mind has evolved based on my experiences, but it wasn't "developing" if that makes any sense.

My mother wrote down some of the things I used to say when I was younger. However it began to upset her and the papers were eventually packed away. From what we both remember (There were pages of stuff written originally!) I would tell about an older sister, a mean 'other mother' and I used to wake up screaming because I didn't want the fire to get me again. Was always a childhood experience I relayed so it seems that if it was an echo of a previous life I didn't get a chance to grow up that time.

I'd definitely take notes and I second the recommendation to see a Reiki master. I'm so glad you posted your reply, Wytchywoman . I've had a remarkably similar experience - childhood memories and images that resurfaced recently during a Reiki session. I've always had a strong strong connection with the southern US and the African American culture (I realize it's a hybrid of influences) but I am caucasian. The images that surfaced during the Reiki session echoed and reinforced these childhood experiences.

That's amazing ElizabethNickerson!

I would love to hear more about your experiences and what you saw if you felt like talking about it. I know for me it was much like missing a land I had never even visited, but could see the landscape of it clearly with my minds eye as well as people I lived among. During the Reiki session, certain visions became even more profound than ever.

I have often wondered about this in regards to children being closer to their time in another life.

My 7yr old daughter used to talk of her older sister “Lizzie” that she used to visit in California (we live in New England) via plane. She kept saying “I remember… getting on a plane alone…” etc – we have never flown with her. I really think it was more a past life memory then current life imagination.

I also think my son, now 4, may have “picked” us to be his family. He talks in detail about the house we moved from when our daughter was 8 months old. He talks of things we don’t have pictures of, and says he remembers things that we have never mentioned. I believe he visited us long before he was conceived. Personally I think he & I have been related before.

I find this a very interesting subject indeed!!

I have often wondered about this in regards to children being closer to their time in another life.

My 7yr old daughter used to talk of her older sister “Lizzie” that she used to visit in California (we live in New England) via plane. She kept saying “I remember… getting on a plane alone…” etc – we have never flown with her. I really think it was more a past life memory then current life imagination.

I also think my son, now 4, may have “picked” us to be his family. He talks in detail about the house we moved from when our daughter was 8 months old. He talks of things we don’t have pictures of, and says he remembers things that we have never mentioned. I believe he visited us long before he was conceived. Personally I think he & I have been related before.

I find this a very interesting subject indeed!!

The Tibetan Book of the dead suggests exactly what you describe happens, should you not reach enlightenment and break the cycle of rebirth. After passing through a series of events I won't bother to list, you see images of 100's of couples doing the do so to speak and will eventually find yourself drawn to a couple, and thus begins your new life.

Archived