104 replies to this topic

#1 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 02:31 PM

Recently I have run into several people who have stated that there are pressing thiings in their lives that need attention and as such they are stepping back from the craft for a while. And by stepping back I don't mean spending less time on forums for that is also very much a social luxury that is dependant on free time; I am referring to people who feel a need to leave their path when life gets busy or tough.

I am having a very hard tiime understanding this. It's like saying I'm going through a rough spot so I am going to stop eating for a while, or I am going to change my personality or something, or I am going to walk away from my family becuase I'm too busy to have a family right now. I couldn't imagine how empty my life would be and feel if I didn't have my craft - and I'm not talking socially, I'm talking core beliefs that make up my personality and who I am and every thing I do. It's like deciding to not believe trees exist simply becuase one lost their job or got sick or doesn't have time or money to buy pruning shears.

If my mundane life hits a bump, the craft is the first thing I turn to. Granted sometimes I may be too emotionally close to a situation to be objective spell-wise, but I would still be deeply active in my spiritual life. I couldn't just stop becuase life sucked at the moment.

I have had times, especially in the last several years, when my belief was severely shaken but I still couldn't walk away from it.... if nothing else I'd go forward on desire to believe alone and double my efforts. It makes me wonder if the people who leave or who turn from their craft during hard times really were involved in the first place or if it was just a passing fancy.

M

#2 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2011 - 02:48 PM

It's not something I understand either. I spent so many of my adult years not knowing who I was and not fitting in, when I eventually escaped from the cage I allowed myself to be locked in and found my path, I grew and grew, my path is now my solace as well as many other things, I have so much emotional balance now, that if life threw another boulder at me, my path is the one thing I would turn to, I don't speak to my family about emotional problems I share very little with my long time friends either. Since I have found my path it has helped me so much, I would never abandon what is part of me.

#3 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 02:53 PM

I have absolutely no idea why people say they are stepping back from the Craft. Like you, the only thing I can think of is that they are really not that committed in the first place. I would rather give up a limb, than ever leave the Craft. The very thought of not being a Witch for even one second makes me want to vomit. As I have said many times, there is NO ONE, NOTHING in the Universe that would make me leave the Craft. NEVER!!!!!!

I guess, one doesn't have to be constantly casting spells or even actively practicing, but I would feel empty and sad without the Connection. Maybe the problem is that those who would stop Crafting for mundane reasons haven't really made the connection. Witchcraft is easy for them to give up, simply because they aren't really Witches. I'm not trying to be mean. I'm not a musician. I can read about music, listen to music, even play an instrument or two, but if I'm not a musician in my soul, I'm never going to reach a point where not hearing the music or not playing becomes painful for me. That's how I personally feel about the Craft.

#4 Babooshka

Babooshka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 03:23 PM

Recently I have run into several people who have stated that there are pressing thiings in their lives that need attention and as such they are stepping back from the craft for a while. And by stepping back I don't mean spending less time on forums for that is also very much a social luxury that is dependant on free time; I am referring to people who feel a need to leave their path when life gets busy or tough.

I am having a very hard tiime understanding this. It's like saying I'm going through a rough spot so I am going to stop eating for a while, or I am going to change my personality or something, or I am going to walk away from my family becuase I'm too busy to have a family right now. I couldn't imagine how empty my life would be and feel if I didn't have my craft - and I'm not talking socially, I'm talking core beliefs that make up my personality and who I am and every thing I do. It's like deciding to not believe trees exist simply becuase one lost their job or got sick or doesn't have time or money to buy pruning shears.

If my mundane life hits a bump, the craft is the first thing I turn to. Granted sometimes I may be too emotionally close to a situation to be objective spell-wise, but I would still be deeply active in my spiritual life. I couldn't just stop becuase life sucked at the moment.

I have had times, especially in the last several years, when my belief was severely shaken but I still couldn't walk away from it.... if nothing else I'd go forward on desire to believe alone and double my efforts. It makes me wonder if the people who leave or who turn from their craft during hard times really were involved in the first place or if it was just a passing fancy.

M

I think I might be included in this, as we were having a conversation about my lack of time. It wasn't that I was walking away from it, it was just that things had been thrown up in the air and it took some adjusting. I couldn't walk away from it, as its just something that I always feel there. The time to read books etc wouldnt be there but thats not really what its about. Now i've got back into a sort of routine my heads clearer to carry on as I was, but it never made me turn away, it just made me cling on more.

Maybe the problem is that those who would stop Crafting for mundane reasons haven't really made the connection. Witchcraft is easy for them to give up, simply because they aren't really Witches. I'm not trying to be mean. I'm not a musician. I can read about music, listen to music, even play an instrument or two, but if I'm not a musician in my soul, I'm never going to reach a point where not hearing the music or not playing becomes painful for me. That's how I personally feel about the Craft.

I think I would be included in this category. Im not arrogant to naive enough to assume I have made a connection yet, I don't think I've reached that point. This is another reason that I don't really feel comfortable using the term 'Witch' for myself because I don't think I've earned it.

Here to discuss, debate, listen and learn.

#5 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 03:34 PM

I think I would be included in this category. Im not arrogant to naive enough to assume I have made a connection yet, I don't think I've reached that point. This is another reason that I don't really feel comfortable using the term 'Witch' for myself because I don't think I've earned it.

The fact that you can say this, openly and honestly, tells me that someday you'll reach that point.

#6 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:03 PM

I think I might be included in this, as we were having a conversation about my lack of time. It wasn't that I was walking away from it, it was just that things had been thrown up in the air and it took some adjusting. I couldn't walk away from it, as its just something that I always feel there. The time to read books etc wouldnt be there but thats not really what its about. Now i've got back into a sort of routine my heads clearer to carry on as I was, but it never made me turn away, it just made me cling on more.

Hey Bab - no, you weren't included, lol. I don't mean people who get busy and don't have time to read a book or post... those are mundane things. I mean peopple who just stop interacting - people who put their gods, their ancestors, the spirit world, on hold and let their magical energy just go and diminish. People who leave their supposed beliefs on the back porch when life steps in. And I wouldn't include you in that catagory. The spirit world is like any realtionship; it needs to be fed and nurtured and some people just walk away from it and then expect it to not leave them. I have to believe those people never knew it in the first place and never had the real desire to know it, just some fantasy wish that life was like TV.... just looking to fill some hole and when the filling takes work they walk away from it. Witchcraft really is the art of becoming whole and that isn't always easy or pleasant and those who think it is are in for an unsettling and possibly dangerous shock.

M

#7 Babooshka

Babooshka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:06 PM

Hey Bab - no, you weren't included, lol. I don't mean people who get busy and don't have time to read a book or post... those are mundane things. I mean peopple who just stop interacting - people who put their gods, their ancestors, the spirit world, on hold and let their magical energy just go and diminish. People who leave their supposed beliefs on the back porch when life steps in. And I wouldn't include you in that catagory. The spirit world is like any realtionship; it needs to be fed and nurtured and some people just walk away from it and then expect it to not leave them. I have to believe those people never knew it in the first place and never had the real desire to know it, just some fantasy wish that life was like TV.... just looking to fill some hole and when the filling takes work they walk away from it. Witchcraft really is the art of becoming whole and that isn't always easy or pleasant and those who think it is are in for an unsettling and possibly dangerous shock.

M

Ah ok :) just thought I'd check just in case :P

Here to discuss, debate, listen and learn.

#8 RavenLB

RavenLB

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:14 PM

M

I'm with you, I don't get it either. You know, people sometimes ask me, "Why did you decide to become a Witch?" And I always say, "I didn't CHOOSE to be a Witch, being a Witch chose ME." There's the old saying, "Once a Witch, always a Witch" which I tend to agree with; I think I must have been one in past lives, too. Even when I was around 2-3 years old, I was telling my parents I wanted to be a Witch when I grew up, and there are pics of me in a funny little witch costume as a child.

To me, it's not a matter of faith or belief, it's a matter of knowing. There are times I wish I could just be like everybody else, and go through life not worrying about the supernatural or magic or spirits, but that wasn't my lot in life. Now, there are times when I'm severely upset that I don't use magic as much, because I don't trust myself not to wonk it up, but there's never a time I've said "Well, not a Witch anymore until next year" or something. It doesn't just go away because the time is inconvenient or something. I think a lot of people pick up the Craft because of TV, or their friends do it, or something but don't really have the gift nor the identity required to really make it work. It's these people that I think "step away" from it when things get rough. I can't tell you how many people I've come across who practiced what they imagined was Wicca, or some other Witchcraft tradition, but then went running back to Christianity or whatever their original system was as soon as things didn't go the way they wanted, usually whining about how "bad" their occult practices as been. I think, for the real deal, there's not ever going to be any running away.

#9 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:15 PM

Witchcraft really is the art of becoming whole and that isn't always easy or pleasant and those who think it is are in for an unsettling and possibly dangerous shock.

M

Thank you for saying this, Michele. Witchcraft isn't easy. In fact, it's a downright, vicious bitch at times. Amazing, beautiful, fulfilling, etc., but also will kick you when you are down and not even blink as you writhe in pain.

#10 Oneironaut

Oneironaut

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:40 PM

The difference really is in what one considers constitutes being Witch. Some unfortunately think it is the "activities" (spells, festivals, etc) that define what being Witch is, and that to me is the least of it. Hell, I've been working 12-14 hours a day my job due to current circumstances and barely have enough time to medidate, much less anything else. That doesn't change the core of who I am, and I don't think of myself any less of a Witch for it, and never would.
I have to agree with Jevne on this one, being Witch isn't something that's turned on & off...and if someone can do that then I would question whether that connection was ever there to begin with.

-- Oneironaut

#11 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:47 PM

Even when I was around 2-3 years old, I was telling my parents I wanted to be a Witch when I grew up, and there are pics of me in a funny little witch costume as a child.

Sometimes that bothers me becuase I was such a completely un-witchy child, lol. The closest thing I came to witchy as a kid was driving by a church and looking at it out the back window of the car and thinking that god wasn't there, god was in the garden. That and I used to be scared by ambulances becuase I always wanted to blow on the person inside (???) them and I thought that made me a crazy person and was afraid of the thought. And oddly enough healing is something I rarely, if ever, do. I can count on one hand the times I've done healing spells.

M

#12 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:54 PM

Sometimes that bothers me becuase I was such a completely un-witchy child, lol. The closest thing I came to witchy as a kid was driving by a church and looking at it out the back window of the car and thinking that god wasn't there, god was in the garden. That and I used to be scared by ambulances becuase I always wanted to blow on the person inside (???) them and I thought that made me a crazy person and was afraid of the thought. And oddly enough healing is something I rarely, if ever, do. I can count on one hand the times I've done healing spells.

M

You are a crazy person, but who am I to judge? I get the urge to blow on people occasionally, too. :whistling:

You are a perfectly lovely Witch. Seems to me, you have always had the gift. It just needed to be nurtured.

#13 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:09 PM

I have had times in the past when I have been pretty depressed and I couldn't be bothered with anything - and though I couldn't get myself to turn on the computer and work, or read any books of any nature (witchy or otherwise), I still had the connection with nature that drew me to find out more about crafting in the first place. This is what is always constant.

At those times the connection may even be stronger for me, as thats when I am more than likely to go out and cry in the rain and just want to discard all the rat race stuff and retreat.

When everything mundane in life is piling on you, and squeezing all your energy out of you, thats when you appreciate and harness your beliefs the most.

#14 ejfinch

ejfinch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:41 PM

Granted, it hasn't been very long since I realized what I was, but even it that short time, it seems that being a Witch is more of a way of thinking and a way of looking at the world, than what you physically "do". Even on the days that I don't do any spellwork or work with any herbs or meditate, etc., I still look at everything from that particular point of view. How would you just "turn off" or "set aside" your very way of thinking? I don't understand that. Almost everything I say and do is colored, in some way, by my craft.

And yes, Jevne and Michelle, I completely agree with the "painful" part......I'm a little relieved to know that it's not just me feeling whiney sometimes. It really does kick you in the ass-hard, sometimes. Even so, I can't imagine turning away from it-I don't even know if that's possible, at least completely.

(disclaimer-still on my first cup of coffee, lol)

#15 Abydos

Abydos

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:17 PM

Good day, all.

If my mundane life hits a bump, the craft is the first thing I turn to. Granted sometimes I may be too emotionally close to a situation to be objective spell-wise, but I would still be deeply active in my spiritual life. I couldn't just stop because life sucked at the moment.

I have to side with the majority here - when things get overbearing in my mundane life the Craft is the very first place I turn. When I encounter difficulties in my day-to-day life and start getting overwhelmed and dejected I always ask myself, "Why are you putting up with this? You're a witch - the power to change your life is within you. If you sit and suffer it's no one's fault but your own." Posted Image

Kind regards,

Kurt

"Your personal lack of understanding of a concept in no way invalidates its legitimacy."

#16 EarthFaery

EarthFaery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:49 PM

I feel the same way as everyone.
Honestly, the good green earth and the craft are the only things I find complete peace with. I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't turn to either. I'd have to take the bridge!!

I have a system sort of. Now that summer is here, we are so busy and the kids are home all day, I don't get much alone time for workings, I'm lucky if I can do something just once a week, sometimes it's just lighting the candles and burning some herbs. So I use this time as a re grouping of energy (so to speak.), I stock up on supplies grow and care for all my herbs etc. Come Samhain, things change, supplies are full and fresh, and I'm ready to rock n roll again.

People who "step back" are just insecure in their craft, imo.

☆•´¯`♊•☀•♍.¸¸.☾•♍´¯`•☆
-my stamp in the universe

#17 Blacksmith

Blacksmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:21 PM

The path that chose me and that I chose to journey into is not one that I could just quit even if I wanted to. Aside from that my heart would not let me. I use the craft daily and achieve results. When things get tough that is when to do more work. I think anyone that says that they are not going to practice witchcraft anymore are either fooling themselves and will soon learn, or they were never witches to begin with. I can certainly understand needing to save money to do rituals or having a lack of something and having to improvise sometimes. I can also understand being busy, but this does not stop me from doing some work daily. How about this....I don't own a TV and don't want one. Maybe if they got off the sofa and stopped watching sitcoms they might find time to practice their craft and path. My opinion is that if someone quits....they either never started or they simply lack the discipline and perseverance to be a witch. However, the craft is a path that is not for everyone. I think it takes a special kind of person, maybe one even chosen or called to the path to be an authentic witch. Sometimes people are just trying to find their way in life and maybe they tried witchcraft and found that it is just not their calling or path. Just remind them that the Baptist church requires 10% of their income (just joking). I hope your friend finds their way in their spiritual life.

#18 Lexi

Lexi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:50 PM

I've had quite a few crises regarding whether I wanted to pursue a path of witchcraft or not, what I believed, etc., in the past.

But now that I look at it, it's a part of me, my personality, my way of thinking of things, my way of doing things...I can never part with it. It IS me, and it always has been. I don't really see how the path and I can go our separate ways.

NOW. If people are talking about spellwork, Sabbath gatherings/parties, and all the really energy-intensive and not-so-necessary stuff that could sometimes be fashioned so that it could interfere with other life matters, I can understand taking a break from that. I think witches always need some sort of time to themselves to rest, refresh, reflect, and get back in the swing of things. It's not that you're parting from the path or witchcraft in general. You're just catching your breath, as it were. At least from my experience.

Edited by Ilexys Morighanan, 13 June 2011 - 07:52 PM.

Lexi [Ilexys Morighannan]

“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.”
- Roald Dahl

#19 Grimr

Grimr

Gandreidh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:28 PM

I could no sooner cut off a limb or stop the beating of my heart then veer from the crooked road.

We have talked before M on the pivotal points of a Witches work whence it appears the option lays before you - to continue and forge ahead (sometimes blind) or to step away and never return. I think though that we like to think an option as such exist, but in reality we know, deep down - whence the connection is made (and the eyes of the Watchers are cast upon you) that the time for turning back is long gone. Even if I did no rituals, did no spells - my connection may dwindle - but it would still be there. I can't un-know the things I know; un-feel or un-see the things I have felt and seen. These are apart of me as much as my hands, and skin are apart me.

Those who drop the Craft like a rock - never really had it to begin with. The way is made forward not by the outward modes of practice - but by the inner transformations, reformations, and Initiations we undergo by it's work. Make no mistake, as much as we choose to walk, so the path walks upon us. "Where-e'er upon the Serpents back is placed the Witches' Step!" - Andrew Chumbley Hekas

"Nothing is truly forgotten about the Arte, for within it's own domain - The Circle - the spirits will speak to those with ears to hear." - Andrew D. Chumbley

"And thus the Flesh of Clay was flayed, and from Earth's greenery, a New Flesh made!"

#20 o_O

o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:36 PM

I can't think to ever giving up my craft. Like many here it is my life, not just some addition to it, so yay for real witches!

To me the craft is also a source to empowerment and helps me keep the pieces together when I feel it's all seeming to come apart. Anyone who would give up that in tough times never knew the truth to what the craft can be or is just plain stupid and will never know its truth as tough times only make you and your craft stronger.