• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:14 AM

I know of several sites that offer seeds and some offer the items themselves.  I also may have some available personally depending on how my grow season is going.  However, to be on the responsible side, I think I would need to get to know someone on here rather well before I would offer them website information (easy enough to find on your own if you're dead set on it) or information about my available wares (likely for a trade of some sort).  If you have any questions and/or would like any information PM me.  Some baneful herbs are illegal in certain localities, for example  Atropa belladonna is illegal in Louisiana and Datura stramonium is illegal in Connecticut but you can get around this by substituting Scopolia carniolica and other less cold-hardy datura species.

I'd also like to add that there's no such thing as a "black thumb" ...all it takes is a little bit of know-how ;)

also, you can use cold stratification without doing water changes in a fridge, just put them in the freezer for a month or two.  If they're coming straight from the fruit you'll want to be sure that the seeds are completely dry before you freeze them otherwise it will destroy the embryonic membranes giving you useless seeds that you just froze for a month+.  Soaking them tends to speed up the process because it eliminates anti-germination chemicals in the seed hulls but it's not completely necessary.  With tropical varieties cold stratification can be helpful but I've found it can be hit and miss.  Tropical nightshades are very very finnicky about either being too wet or too dry.

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#22 GhostAndTheWolf

GhostAndTheWolf

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:20 AM

Not sure if this is the right place for this question but I am trying to find other names for Jezebel Root?

Long live the snake, Long live the Devil-

Spite Cult.

#23 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:43 AM

Not sure if this is the right place for this question but I am trying to find other names for Jezebel Root?

This tread is about shops not the herbs themselves, but since this question is here I will answer ( as best I can) here.

I think that Jezabel root is the hoodoo name for a rhizome of a type of iris that grows in Luiziana.
It is supposedly very similar to orris root (from another type of iris) in species and in use.

Be careful if you order it online as most sources do not state what plant they took the rhizome from and it is often mixed up with other kinds of iris.

Edited by Solanaceae, 21 September 2017 - 12:43 AM.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#24 GhostAndTheWolf

GhostAndTheWolf

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 04:03 AM

This tread is about shops not the herbs themselves, but since this question is here I will answer ( as best I can) here.
I think that Jezabel root is the hoodoo name for a rhizome of a type of iris that grows in Luiziana.
It is supposedly very similar to orris root (from another type of iris) in species and in use.
Be careful if you order it online as most sources do not state what plant they took the rhizome from and it is often mixed up with other kinds of iris.

Okay thanks and i am sorry for putting this question in the wrong post.
But thanks for responding.

Long live the snake, Long live the Devil-

Spite Cult.