23 replies to this topic

#1 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:15 AM

I'm haveing a helluva time finding baneful herbs on the internet. Can anyone name a store that actually sells henbane, wolfsbane, belladonna, etc.?

Thx, M

#2 Grimr

Grimr

Gandreidh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:18 AM

http://www.bouncingb...icals-c-60.html

They have a large selection of Baneful and Entheogenic plants available. Give them a check out.

If you are looking for live plants: Places like Mountain Rose and Richters are good suggestions.

"Nothing is truly forgotten about the Arte, for within it's own domain - The Circle - the spirits will speak to those with ears to hear." - Andrew D. Chumbley

"And thus the Flesh of Clay was flayed, and from Earth's greenery, a New Flesh made!"

#3 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:21 AM

http://www.bouncingbearbotanicals.com/ethnobotanicals-c-60.html

They have a large selection of Baneful and Entheogenic plants available. Give them a check out.

If you are looking for live plants: Places like Mountain Rose and Richters are good suggestions.

Perfecto-bismol G! Thx :-)

M

#4 Grimr

Grimr

Gandreidh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:38 AM

Perfecto-bismol G! Thx :-)

M

Of course darling! :)

"Nothing is truly forgotten about the Arte, for within it's own domain - The Circle - the spirits will speak to those with ears to hear." - Andrew D. Chumbley

"And thus the Flesh of Clay was flayed, and from Earth's greenery, a New Flesh made!"

#5 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:45 AM

G-

Have you any opinions on Phacelia? There seems to be a gazillion types and some may have dermatological side-issues. I wanted to do a bee harmony working with these as well as planting them for themselves.

FFFF
Elf

#6 LdyShalott

LdyShalott

NecRomancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:19 PM

G-

Have you any opinions on Phacelia? There seems to be a gazillion types and some may have dermatological side-issues. I wanted to do a bee harmony working with these as well as planting them for themselves.

FFFF
Elf

I am not G but have you researched Phacelia tanacetifolia? It would grow well in your area but like the majority of tansies, I am familiar with, it does irritate the skin... I will be interested to read Grimrs' response.

Most witches don’t believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.  T.P.

In order to understand the living.. you have to commune with the dead..
You are a tiny little soul carrying around a corpse.-- Epictetus
All experience is an arch wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move.

#7 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:44 PM

Dear Lady S!,

Thanks for your input, I know that only certain people are susceptable to such things but at least it is not like a dose of poison ivy (sumac, oak), or so I am led to believe.

FFF
Elf

#8 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:49 AM

I'm haveing a helluva time finding baneful herbs on the internet. Can anyone name a store that actually sells henbane, wolfsbane, belladonna, etc.?

Thx, M

I grow both Monkshood, and Belladonna. I found monkshood at a local nursery, and I was able to get my belladonna seeds from www.alchemy-works.com
However, getting belladonna in seed you have to do a process called cold water stratification to get the seeds in germination status.

As far as other baneful herbs, I grow Jimsonweed, Datura (moon flower), foxglove, oleander, plumeria, wormwood absinthium, and I think that is all.

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#9 Pixie

Pixie

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:50 AM

Did you want plants, seeds, or dried plant materials? I know there are a few places on Etsy selling dried plant materials. I have got seeds from Alchemy Works online - but I haven't germinated anything yet so I can't say for certain that they're good. Depending on where you are, and what grows well around you, you may be able to find some herbs in local nurseries. Just be sure to check the scientific names to be aware of what you are getting. In a local nursery I found Monkshood, black hellbores, foxglove, wormwood, and all kinds of stuff.

#10 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:33 AM

I can say alchemy works seeds are really good. My garden is full and beautiful if herbs and flowers from the seeds I purchased from there.
My ETSY store:

#11 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:00 AM

I don't want to start a new thread for this enquiry, nor do I think it warrants one; has anyone found a source for prepared Hemlock? In my diverse searching, I've found only seeds, and those only in one store. I'd love to grow my own herbs, but I unfortunately have a black thumb lol

Hemlock, to me, has a very distinct feel, compared to other baneful herbs. I've employed it before, and I must say, it has been highly effective! There's just nothing else like it, and I can't find it for love or money. Posted Image

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#12 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:02 AM

Hemlock can be interesting to work with, I was lucky enough to be in an area where it grew by the roadside, if you can identify it you might be lucky enough to find some nearer to you. (My book on wild plants has been packed away so will have to use my google-fu at this point)

I know in the UK they're more common at roadsides usually partially under a hedge, they aren't keen on strong heat and can be confused for similar plants (Queen Anne's Lace seems a popluar one on the search I ran as out of bloom the main difference is Hemlock doesn't have hairs on the stems)

#13 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:02 PM

I don't want to start a new thread for this enquiry, nor do I think it warrants one; has anyone found a source for prepared Hemlock? In my diverse searching, I've found only seeds, and those only in one store. I'd love to grow my own herbs, but I unfortunately have a black thumb lol

Hemlock, to me, has a very distinct feel, compared to other baneful herbs. I've employed it before, and I must say, it has been highly effective! There's just nothing else like it, and I can't find it for love or money. Posted Image

You can get poison hemlock from the store link G provided in this thread although it is seed package so you'd have to grow it. I have also used alchemy works with great resluts, and the fellow who owns it is AWESOME for help if you have any trouble growing anything...

M

#14 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:18 PM

As with most all baneful herbs, if you want it, you'll have to grow it yourself. Most herb dealers won't carry anything poisonous due to liability issues.

If you're looking for the same plant that Socrates took, be sure to get Conium maculatum. There are several other plants known as "hemlock", including an evergreen tree and a member of the geranium species. You may want to check with your state agriculture folks, too. It's an introduced species here; a lot of states consider it 'invasive' and depending on the law, you can actually get fined for growing it.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#15 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:26 AM

Hemlock can be interesting to work with, I was lucky enough to be in an area where it grew by the roadside, if you can identify it you might be lucky enough to find some nearer to you. (My book on wild plants has been packed away so will have to use my google-fu at this point)

I know in the UK they're more common at roadsides usually partially under a hedge, they aren't keen on strong heat and can be confused for similar plants (Queen Anne's Lace seems a popluar one on the search I ran as out of bloom the main difference is Hemlock doesn't have hairs on the stems)

Poison hemlock is a fairly distinctive looking plant, and I remember seeing it in the wild, but I can't for the life of me remember where!

You can get poison hemlock from the store link G provided in this thread although it is seed package so you'd have to grow it. I have also used alchemy works with great resluts, and the fellow who owns it is AWESOME for help if you have any trouble growing anything...

M

I'll give it another look! I found one online store selling the seeds, but like I said, black thumb. I kill cacti and spider plants, lol
It is truly shameful, all of my close relatives have gardens; they grow their own herbs, vegetables, flowers etc. If I can't find the actual plant, I'm going to buy the seeds and ask one of them to grow it for me.

As with most all baneful herbs, if you want it, you'll have to grow it yourself. Most herb dealers won't carry anything poisonous due to liability issues.

If you're looking for the same plant that Socrates took, be sure to get Conium maculatum. There are several other plants known as "hemlock", including an evergreen tree and a member of the geranium species. You may want to check with your state agriculture folks, too. It's an introduced species here; a lot of states consider it 'invasive' and depending on the law, you can actually get fined for growing it.

Ahh, I'll be sure to be careful about that! I did notice that there's several kinds of 'hemlock,' and it's nearly impossible to find a source for any of them; at least I've had terrible luck doing so.

I used to get poison hemlock and foxglove from a friend's mother when they still lived out on the eastern plains. Unfortunately, they sold the farm. Since then, no luck finding either of those plants, sadly.

Thank you all for the help and replies! I'll post if I can find a source for the dried plant, not just the seeds.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#16 aurorarose

aurorarose

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 02:29 AM

I am not sure on those specific herbs, but I have found on ebay that there are a lot of hard to find herbs, and crystals there usually pretty cheap.

#17 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

However, getting belladonna in seed you have to do a process called cold water stratification to get the seeds in germination status.

Oh blow. My research suggested that only aconite needed stratification. I found nothing to say I had to do the same with belladonna. Anyone know for certain if belladonna definitely needs it?

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#18 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

I know I did cold water stratification with my belladonna, jimson weed, and woodland tobacco.
My ETSY store:

#19 SororMIMM

SororMIMM

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:41 PM

I know this is an old thread, but wanted to respond to Deguwitchrose. Yes, belladonna definitely needs to be cold stratified though it's not unheard of to have germination without it, it's just hit and miss at times. It's not too difficult to do some cold stratification in the refrigerator for a period of two weeks:get an old medicine bottle, place the seeds in it with fresh cold water. I use distilled to avoid any harsh chemicals in tap water which may hinder germination rates. Then switch out this water once a day for two weeks. Then plant as usual. I've also had success direct sowing my belladonna in December with good results from the continual snow melt here in CO.

#20 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:01 PM

I know this is an old thread, but wanted to respond to Deguwitchrose. Yes, belladonna definitely needs to be cold stratified though it's not unheard of to have germination without it, it's just hit and miss at times. It's not too difficult to do some cold stratification in the refrigerator for a period of two weeks:get an old medicine bottle, place the seeds in it with fresh cold water. I use distilled to avoid any harsh chemicals in tap water which may hinder germination rates. Then switch out this water once a day for two weeks. Then plant as usual. I've also had success direct sowing my belladonna in December with good results from the continual snow melt here in CO.

Thank you. I had patchy success with Belladonna this year and will employ stratification to see if my chance of a live plant improves. Appreciate the heads up x

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.