Photo
- - - - -

Pin and Candle Divination

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:43 AM

M-
I am so glad that you are liking this, it suits you so much to have drawn up a singular method. Now, what are you going to call this method so people can copy it and spend hours trying to determine what only you will know?
FFFF
Elf

#22 LdyShalott

LdyShalott

NecRomancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:39 AM

It's mine (and I can be extremely territorial, lol). Someone else may use pin and candle divination but how they do it would be differet than how I do it. It's not some deck or sigil that 8 million other people use. It's mine and it responds to me and the directives and associations I, personally, have given it.

I have not done an actual reading yet, still putting time into understanding the hows and whys of the way it could be done, but I am very much liking this. It is a truly personal and personalized way of working.

:cheers: This I like... and since it is so personal it has more power ...

Most witches don’t believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.  T.P.

In order to understand the living.. you have to commune with the dead..
You are a tiny little soul carrying around a corpse.-- Epictetus
All experience is an arch wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move.

#23 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:51 AM

thats great M!

just thinking, would it be possible to make a candle and put pins in at the liquid stage? don't know how easy or viable this would be, but it appeals to me that the pins would be revealed and start dropping etc as the wax melts down. :wickedwitch:

#24 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:35 AM

thats great M!

just thinking, would it be possible to make a candle and put pins in at the liquid stage? don't know how easy or viable this would be, but it appeals to me that the pins would be revealed and start dropping etc as the wax melts down. :wickedwitch:

It would, but for me it would complicate the issue. The simplicity of the thing was one of the things I liked about it and knowing me I would run out of pre-made candles and then be stuck until I had a chance to make more. Also, you've now pre-determined something and the more I leave up to the moment the better. If it is something specific, I can use specific colours. If it is someone else, I can have them pick pins. There is much left to chance intervention in this form of divination and I would not want to limit that personally. Also, ther has been such variation to the way the candle burns that it is like it is really letting the powers that be mark the outcome - I've even had candles that one of the pins blocks one whole side from burning. The more left up to "chance" the more realistic the reading would be I would think. And I also like simplicity (I'm a simply witch lol) and the quicker and easier something is to do, the more I am likely to do it regularly. Also adding pins in the liquid stage woould keep them from sticking out of the candle at the sides, which would greatly affect the way it burns and possible limit the way it burns.

M

#25 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:46 PM

It would, but for me it would complicate the issue. The simplicity of the thing was one of the things I liked about it and knowing me I would run out of pre-made candles and then be stuck until I had a chance to make more. Also, you've now pre-determined something and the more I leave up to the moment the better. If it is something specific, I can use specific colours. If it is someone else, I can have them pick pins. There is much left to chance intervention in this form of divination and I would not want to limit that personally. Also, ther has been such variation to the way the candle burns that it is like it is really letting the powers that be mark the outcome - I've even had candles that one of the pins blocks one whole side from burning. The more left up to "chance" the more realistic the reading would be I would think. And I also like simplicity (I'm a simply witch lol) and the quicker and easier something is to do, the more I am likely to do it regularly. Also adding pins in the liquid stage woould keep them from sticking out of the candle at the sides, which would greatly affect the way it burns and possible limit the way it burns.

M

I would agree lol! I thought after posting that i spend more than enough time making the kids meals, beds etc let alone making candles! I think the coloured pin ends might also result in a flammable bomb type candle! yikes!

yeah, simple is better for me!

#26 Solice

Solice

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:05 PM

I like your suggestion re: the way the pins fall etc. Ive used pins in candles for various things but never as a form of divination. I think that this is something to be explored for sure. Its quite odd that I found this post as the other weekend my mother was fideling around with candles during a working, she noted the direction of the pin and it seemed to point towards one of the people in the room with us. That particular person has had developments in the area of their life that corresponded to the colour of the candle my mother was holding at the time. Yes, this is candle magic but its more the pin direction that was interesting. It had literally twisted as the wax had melted.

#27 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:46 PM

I like your suggestion re: the way the pins fall etc. Ive used pins in candles for various things but never as a form of divination. I think that this is something to be explored for sure. Its quite odd that I found this post as the other weekend my mother was fideling around with candles during a working, she noted the direction of the pin and it seemed to point towards one of the people in the room with us. That particular person has had developments in the area of their life that corresponded to the colour of the candle my mother was holding at the time. Yes, this is candle magic but its more the pin direction that was interesting. It had literally twisted as the wax had melted.

That is also something one can do - use pins in candles for spells, not just divination...

M

#28 *Tabytha*

*Tabytha*

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:19 PM

I like this idea of using pins in candles as a form of divination. I will have to stock up on my supply of candles first, not hugely cheap as I don't allow myself to buy anything other than beeswax candles (ecological reasons re: petroleum) got lots of coloured headed pins though :embarrased:

Have you finished with your experiments, Michele? Ready to do a reading? Please keep us posted ...

* Tabytha *
~ on the long winding path and enjoying every minute ~

#29 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 02:02 PM

That is also something one can do - use pins in candles for spells, not just divination...

M

You know those pointy ended toothpicks, compared to just plain old flat toothpicks. Well I have soaked my pointy ones in the element of rain or lake water, since they are the element of wood ( earth ) and used these for certain spells when experimenting with a candle flame. Just a thought, as a comparison using the other element of metal for pins perce.Posted Image There is a lot of possibility with using pointed toothpicks, imho.

Regards,
Gypsy

Edited by CelticGypsy, 08 March 2013 - 11:55 PM.

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#30 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 02:34 PM

Actually, that is a wonderful idea especially depending on what one is divining for.

I am still working with this pin-divination thing. Right now I am still at the point of merely burning the pins in the candle and not even trying to read them, just watching them and the different ways they fall and trying to get a connection to the form. Divining has not been my thing in the past, and one answer this pin-thing has given me is the answer to why I have not had an interest in divining, lol, which was rather interesting. I like the feel of this way of doing it, although I think it will be a while before I actually use it for anything besides a "yes or no" answer.

M

#31 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 05:44 PM

I was messing around with this tonight just to see how many different ways a pin really COULD fall from a candle. The results were very interesting. First off, you'd have to use a smallish candle becuase you really have to sit and watch it - if you left and came back after it had burned down (even if just in another room or doing something else) you'd miss how the pins fall and only have their placement. Some pins fell quick and far. Some fell quick and almost straight down. Some fell atop each other (effecting each other). Some got stuck in a "string" of wax and took forever to fall. Some got stuck in the "string" of wax and ended up never falling even once the candle burned down. So there are a multitude of ways to fall, not just where they fall. And then one could take the direction they point and the meaning of that specific direction. And the colour of the pin-head. Anyway, was quite interesting to see the myriad of possibilities even from just the WAY they fell... deceptively simple, which I like, lol.

M

I would make my own designations for this means that and this means that, type of thing. For example, if a pin gets stuck in wax and does not fall, attach your own meaning to it. Be consistent in your meanings, and they will come up when it is meant to.

#32 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 05:51 PM

M,
If you wish to use candle wax in and of itself then an very old method would be to drip the wax onto the surface of liquid (of your choice) and concentrate on the job at hand while the wax is falling. Then once finished look at the result. Hey if it worked for the ancestors then why not us?
FFFF
Elf

This was part of a working a local witch did for my wife when she was about 4 or 5. It was to find out why she was suddenly so frightened and screaming a lot of the time. It turned out that the wax showed that a large dog had frightened her.

#33 lusa

lusa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:27 PM

I used to do something similar to this a while back and it took reading this thread to remember it!

I didn't like the idea of the pins (felt like I was hurting someone as with using witch bottles at the start) so originally I went out and collected teeny tiny stones. Really small, almost sand - as you know dumping sand in a candle will often put it out - all different colors too. I would use a combination of the small stones and herbs. I would then on a piece of paper, trace a circle around the candle marking off where it would stand. Around that circle (no wax would obviously fall there), I would put whatever I was mulling over in my mind. Usually choices in life I needed to make, big ones. People's names. Places. Runes. Numbers. Pictures, shapes, arrows. Times. Anything that was stuck inside my mind and rolling around in there and not coming out or making sense to me. I'd then place the candle on the circle and light it and wait for the wax and stuff to fall.

The amazing shapes and gestures it made in the color of wax I'd chosen, the falling stones, the splayed out herbs, all atop the messages I'd written myself. There was so much to read into it that I remember finally putting the candle out in this state of being washed clean. Thanks for this thread, without it I wouldn't have dug up this memory! :flyaway:

"We sailed through endless skies. Stars shine like eyes. The black night sighs."

#34 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:50 PM

M

You know those pointy ended toothpicks, compared to just plain old flat toothpicks. Well I have soaked my pointy ones in the element of rain or lake water, since they are the element of wood ( earth ) and used these for certain spells when experimenting with a candle flame. Just a thought, as a comparison using the other element of metal for pins perce.:happy: There is a lot of possibility with using pointed toothpicks, imho.

Regards,
Gypsy

I'm pondering taking toothpicks and dying them, and cutting them in the Rune forms, not the disks or stones, but the letter themselves, and adding that or embedding them into the exterior of a candle. While it being an embellishment for sure, wouldn't one think that, that would add potential power ? Like if one took perce the Hagal Rune which speaks of the completion of one phase and the creative proscess and heralds the beginning of another. Something that in the invisible realm, becomes visible in the physical realm. Bringing into being. I'm exploring the concept.

Regards,
Gypsy

#35 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:52 AM

That sounds quite interesting M,I like, shall give it a go.

#36 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:57 AM

I am bumping this thread, as it contains information about a specific divinatory practice with related associations. I am interested in additional experiences with the types of divination described here.

#37 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:25 AM

I rather like the use of pins in candles for spell work, as well. As I am not overly into divination for the sake for divination, I have had to find a divination that actually relates to a specific force, So far the runes are supplying this for me.

M

#38 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

I rather like the use of pins in candles for spell work, as well. As I am not overly into divination for the sake for divination, I have had to find a divination that actually relates to a specific force, So far the runes are supplying this for me.

M

I like to use thorns and brambles in my candles for hex work. That's a similar idea to the use of pins in candles for spell work.

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#39 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:19 PM

thats very interesting D/W rose, how did you find the outcome

#40 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

thats very interesting D/W rose, how did you find the outcome

Thanks Aurora. Generally pretty positive, especially when I am using the candle as a symbolic representation of an individual and pressing in the thorns to send pain. I've found the brambles in particular to work well for binding, again with the candle representing the individual.

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.