Photo
- - - - -

Pin and Candle Divination

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#1 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 02:24 AM

I am much liking the sound of this but can't find anything on it via google. Anyone have any info on it or can name a decent book??

M

#2 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 05:47 AM

I am much liking the sound of this but can't find anything on it via google. Anyone have any info on it or can name a decent book??

M

I have only a vague recollection. This is a reference I have found so far. Pin and Candle Reference. You will note that most of the divinations outlined in the other search results deal with finding love.

#3 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 12:36 PM

I have only a vague recollection. This is a reference I have found so far. Pin and Candle Reference. You will note that most of the divinations outlined in the other search results deal with finding love.

Thanks for the link... I did notice on google several references for using it as a simple love divnitiation, but I believe it can actually be worked for more indepth "everyday" divination. I suppose I can always just make up my own way of working with it, lol. I am still looking for a form of divination I can get into. I have tried runes again and for some reason, although they do speak strongly as magical sigils, they just don't speak divination to me.

M

#4 Lela

Lela

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 04:01 PM

One basic use of pins is a simple 'yes' or 'no' query. Insert 2 pins into a candle opposite each other naming one yes and the other no. Light the candle concentrating on your query and whichever pin falls first, is your answer.

On the Museum of Witchcraft website there is this entry:

Candle magic is simple, effective and popular. Carefully choose the colour of a candle, inscribe a rune, name or magical sign in the wax and light it at an appropriate time. This forms the basis of many a powerful spell. Piercing candles with pins is a universal method of divination; light the candle and wait for the pin or pins to drop. The falling pin can answer questions, give directions, even select a person from a group gathered around. Pierced candles are also used by some witches to remove curses or ill luck. Original text by Cecil Williamson : 'Painted wooden candlestick, the work of the wise woman, Mary Sale of Taunton. She made readings from the fall of two black-headed pins piercing a black candle the colour of her pins and candles selected depended on the type of case she was working - that is, for good, for joy, for gain, for love, or for hate etc. The candle stick stood on a large cloth covered round table, when the pins fell, their north-south, east-west, position was noted and together with a distance from base of stick and edge of table, a reading was deducted.'

Hope this sheds a little light on the topic for you, as there really is very little info out there on it. After reading Gemma Gary's book, I too got interested in pin and candle divination.

#5 Georgia

Georgia

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:55 PM

I really like the sound of this, simple and versatile. Definitely need to give it a go.

:witchbroom:

#6 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 02:05 AM

I was messing around with this tonight just to see how many different ways a pin really COULD fall from a candle. The results were very interesting. First off, you'd have to use a smallish candle becuase you really have to sit and watch it - if you left and came back after it had burned down (even if just in another room or doing something else) you'd miss how the pins fall and only have their placement. Some pins fell quick and far. Some fell quick and almost straight down. Some fell atop each other (effecting each other). Some got stuck in a "string" of wax and took forever to fall. Some got stuck in the "string" of wax and ended up never falling even once the candle burned down. So there are a multitude of ways to fall, not just where they fall. And then one could take the direction they point and the meaning of that specific direction. And the colour of the pin-head. Anyway, was quite interesting to see the myriad of possibilities even from just the WAY they fell... deceptively simple, which I like, lol.

M

#7 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2011 - 04:21 AM

M-
I do not believe the colour matters, but try this:
In your candle, push the two pins in the top of the stem, one each side, slightly tilted with top facing outwards (make sure they are the same depth and angle) of the flame to be. The result will be faster, and once moving done quickly. This means you can watch the whole thing! Yay!
FFFF
Elf

#8 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 01:02 PM

M-
I do not believe the colour matters, but try this:
In your candle, push the two pins in the top of the stem, one each side, slightly tilted with top facing outwards (make sure they are the same depth and angle) of the flame to be. The result will be faster, and once moving done quickly. This means you can watch the whole thing! Yay!
FFFF
Elf

That would be excellent for a quick "yes" or "no" divination thanks Elf! I like candles and I like something for diviniation that doesn't require rote memorization, but is more of nudging and feeling. I could never relate to the tarot, mostly becuase of the "beginners" memorization needed. If I do decide to get into the candle thing, then I would use color as color is evocative to me of emotions or issues or situations and (oh lazy me, lol) I already know what colours mean what to me! I can easily sit and stare at a candle and "drop down" but to sit and stare at a tarot spread I just start thinking about my shopping list or the laundry or something, lol. I love the simplicity of the "tools" of the candle thing.

M

#9 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:41 PM

That would be excellent for a quick "yes" or "no" divination thanks Elf! I like candles and I like something for diviniation that doesn't require rote memorization, but is more of nudging and feeling. I could never relate to the tarot, mostly becuase of the "beginners" memorization needed. If I do decide to get into the candle thing, then I would use color as color is evocative to me of emotions or issues or situations and (oh lazy me, lol) I already know what colours mean what to me! I can easily sit and stare at a candle and "drop down" but to sit and stare at a tarot spread I just start thinking about my shopping list or the laundry or something, lol. I love the simplicity of the "tools" of the candle thing.

M

I know this might be veering off topic a wee bit (well just the pin bit!) but have you ever tried divination using candle wax?

Once a candle has been lit for a wee while (enough time to get a good amount of wax to melt on top) you can then flick it over a couple of times quickly and then read the wax images. I was thnking that you might be able to incorporate the pins in this method somehow? Can't think how at the moment lol, but if you like candles you might like this form of divination.

or you could score into the top of the candle to create two opposite channels for the drips and (one for yes and one for no) and allow the wax to choose its path. (right back to thinking about pins!) :wickedwitch:

#10 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2011 - 03:14 PM

M,
If you wish to use candle wax in and of itself then an very old method would be to drip the wax onto the surface of liquid (of your choice) and concentrate on the job at hand while the wax is falling. Then once finished look at the result. Hey if it worked for the ancestors then why not us?
FFFF
Elf

#11 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:47 PM

M,
If you wish to use candle wax in and of itself then an very old method would be to drip the wax onto the surface of liquid (of your choice) and concentrate on the job at hand while the wax is falling. Then once finished look at the result. Hey if it worked for the ancestors then why not us?
FFFF
Elf

I like this Elf,

its a bit like if you drop inks into water or reading flames or smoke - and this form with wax will set once in the water so you can use it in workings after divination. Nice one!

#12 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:41 PM

M,
FFFF
Elf

I like this Sir Elf, how big of a candle would you suggest. I mostly use 4 inch ones, and I'm more apt to mark a time frame when path working. Thanks!
Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#13 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:30 PM

All these are good ideas - I like the simplicity of using candles. I can't get into anything I have to memorize the meaning of (have a hard enough time remembering what day it is, lol).

M

#14 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:20 AM

All these are good ideas - I like the simplicity of using candles. I can't get into anything I have to memorize the meaning of (have a hard enough time remembering what day it is, lol).

M

You and me both...lol.

#15 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:33 PM

I thought the same when I went into Tarot to be honest, memorising symbols seemed like a pointless and boring exercise but I was very surprised to find that I flicked through the booklet (boredly) shuffled whilst listening to music and did a basic spread, flipped it over and read it with a good level of accuracy, even meeting the large portion of 'book' definitions when I was only really looking at the pictures when flicking through. There tends to be a heavy level of instinct even when people could write lists as long as your arm of the 'depth and meaning' in each card there's not a single point if you can't call upon it without reading a novel as well as a spread.

I've always only seen pin and candle divination for wael/woe style readings, though must admit I'm intrigued by the wax readings, I've done brief candle-top readings but not used water which I think will probably be much more effective. Something I will have to stock up on candles to try I think :)

#16 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:11 PM

All,

I once did a candle wax reading, everything went well, took on the scene and had no idea what it was saying. So, as usual when something like this happens I forgot it , left it in my "unconcious computer", and sure enough, later on the message came in loud and clear. This showed me something about the power of sigil work. At the time I knew nothing about sigils,but it did eventually occur, thanks to the working and a hunch(love that word in witchy work) for me to me to look into it.

Has something like this happened to you?

FFFF
E;f

#17 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:57 PM

All,

I once did a candle wax reading, everything went well, took on the scene and had no idea what it was saying. So, as usual when something like this happens I forgot it , left it in my "unconcious computer", and sure enough, later on the message came in loud and clear. This showed me something about the power of sigil work. At the time I knew nothing about sigils,but it did eventually occur, thanks to the working and a hunch(love that word in witchy work) for me to me to look into it.

Has something like this happened to you?

FFFF
E;f

this happens alot - I am pretty good at 'seeing' images in things - I think its probably because I have an over active imagination anyway :wickedwitch: . I usually see something from the first look, but where I get a bit stuck is knowing how to interpret it at the same time. Unless there is something heavily playing on my mind, it can take a while for the meaning to become clear in relation to whats happening in my life.

I think thats why I dont find Tarot easy to read - I tend to work better if I can decipher what the image is, rather than being presented with a highly detailed one by another illustrator. I would love to read them though, but it just ain't happening.

#18 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:07 AM

Tarot I just completely suck with. I have never found a deck I like the look of except one and I bought it purely for the pics damn near 20 years ago. I don't know what the cards mean and have only ever been able to use it on my son and myself with any accuracy and I don't use it normally for him - I hand him the deck and tell him to pick out some cards that he thinks look "cool" and then I just read those.

M

#19 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:10 AM

I don't like to read tarot by the spreads. It is ok once in awhile, but I get too impatient trying to remember what each card in each spot is supposed to mean. So, I came up with my own way read. I just shuffle the cards until one or two pop out of the deck on their own. Then it is kind of like a two way conversation with the spirits. I ask, and they pick the cards which best represents what they are trying to tell me and then I immediately know what they are say. Sometimes I don't get it as they try to make sentences with the cards and pop out the same 5 or six over and over. I usually will find out in a few days what those ones mean. I don't like doing this for others as it is a way I came up with and it is very personal for me. I have only taught my sister how to do this. It is deceptivly simple and accurate.

#20 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:55 AM

Okay - I have been playing with this some more and putting a lot of observation into how pins fall and for a very simplistic ritual divination it has a myriad of possibilities and I am really liking it.

1) Mundane and silly, I know, but it's witchy in feel. Sticking pins in something and setting it afire or lighting it. It feels right, drops you down quick into "mode" and if you do it in the dark with just a few other candles and dancing shadows by the time the pins have fallen (you're watching them fall not going off to watch TV) you have really dropped into it.

2) I dont kow much about physics, but pins don't just fall straight down so you have many ways to interpret them.
I have had some pins (three) actually land on their heads and stick point up and stay that way.
I have had some pins catch on fire.
I have had some get stuck in the wax drippings.
I have had some get stuck in the candle and actually change the way it burns and which pins the
candle effects.
Some point to one of the four roads and can be interpreted by the attributes and/or associations of
that road.
Some fall on other pins thereby crossing or effecting the meaning of the other pin.
Some fall quickly.
Some fall slowly.
Some get stuck in wax and never fall.
Some fall near.
Some bounce far.

3) Add to the fall the colour associations of the pin heads. Add to that the colour association of the candle if you choose to use a candle to represent the question (or you could dedicate certain pins to the question and/or questioner.

4) You can make this as simple or as complicated as you want depending on how many pins you use and also how many colours.

5) In a pinch you could get the supplies anywhere and they're cheap, lol, and you can vary the candle size depending on your time allowance.

6) Depending on how you place the pins in the candle, you can also have the four road or element associations represent the specific pins that fall.

7) It's mine (and I can be extremely territorial, lol). Someone else may use pin and candle divination but how they do it would be differet than how I do it. It's not some deck or sigil that 8 million other people use. It's mine and it responds to me and the directives and associations I, personally, have given it.

I have not done an actual reading yet, still putting time into understanding the hows and whys of the way it could be done, but I am very much liking this. It is a truly personal and personalized way of working.

M