Book Shopping Spree

walkerc25

Hello to all so after getting rid of all my old wicca books and reading some threads on the site I have purchased the following books

encyclopedia of 5000 spells after all the good reviews I had been reading on the site,encyclopedia of witchcraft and the encyclopedia of spirits. But I didn't stop there lol I went and found a copy of light from the shadows by Gwyn along side A history of the pendle witches and their magic: wicked enchantments by Joyce Froome, Hekate the keys to the crossroads by Sorita d'Este and Defense against the witches craft by John Canard. So I have certainly got some reading to do. Anyone read the John Canard or Joyce Froome books? They looked quite interesting so thought they would be worth a look.

The only one I am familiar with from your list is Light From the Shadows. I believe Gwyn is actually Michael Howard, and I have read and enjoyed most of his published works. LFtS I found to be a gem... a lot of real good things "hidden in plain sight" if you will. It was written back when the craft was still "in the closet" compared to Wicca and as such many things are hidden in it that with a little though become obvious. The book was also written prior to Cultis Sabbati becoming more heard in witch circles. MH's Pillars of Tubal Cain and Book of Fallen Angels are also excellent books - they do deal with more dual-faith in their fallen angel aspect if you have an interest in that but also have a lot of excellent mythology in them. If you're into Eurpoean paths, Call of the Horned Piper is another good one, and Secrets of East Anglican magic. I have just bought Cornish Book of Ways (from someone on here catually, lol) and am eagerly awaiting its arrival... Another great book is Emma Wilby's Cunning Folk and Familiar Spirits. Carols Ginzburg's Esctasies: Deciphering the Witches' Sabbat is an excellent trace of the craft to shamanic roots. Oh - and Tubelo's Green Fire by Shani Oats is also a good one.

M

The only one I am familiar with from your list is Light From the Shadows. I believe Gwyn is actually Michael Howard, and I have read and enjoyed most of his published works. LFtS I found to be a gem... a lot of real good things "hidden in plain sight" if you will. It was written back when the craft was still "in the closet" compared to Wicca and as such many things are hidden in it that with a little though become obvious. The book was also written prior to Cultis Sabbati becoming more heard in witch circles. MH's Pillars of Tubal Cain and Book of Fallen Angels are also excellent books - they do deal with more dual-faith in their fallen angel aspect if you have an interest in that but also have a lot of excellent mythology in them. If you're into Eurpoean paths, Call of the Horned Piper is another good one, and Secrets of East Anglican magic. I have just bought Cornish Book of Ways (from someone on here catually, lol) and am eagerly awaiting its arrival... Another great book is Emma Wilby's Cunning Folk and Familiar Spirits. Carols Ginzburg's Esctasies: Deciphering the Witches' Sabbat is an excellent trace of the craft to shamanic roots. Oh - and Tubelo's Green Fire by Shani Oats is also a good one.

I will note down all the others you have suggested thank you. I was also looking for the Cornish Book of Ways let me know what its like once you get it. Im going to be very busy trying to read everything ive bought lol. I will just have to find a way to make time for them all. Im like a child in a sweet shop with books at the moment lol

M

I can relate to the kid in the sweet shop feeling... I date my books. When I get a new one I don't start it until I get to the pub. I get myself all set up in my usual corner where no one bothers me, order a glass of wine. Take a sip, smell the new book. Take another sip, run my handds over the cover. Light a cig and open the book and start reading. I still love my Kindle dearly, but there are just some books that should always be in hard-copy.

M

Archived