Hair cutting or not for magical potency

Blyss

I just cut 5 inches off the bottom.  It's been a very long time since my hair was that long.  I can't take when the ends get all knotted up.

It was quite a freeing feeling.  I think that there was a lot of my recent history knotted up within it as well.

And my hair looks much better now.

Reluctantly I had about 4 inches cut off a week ago,I was unsure at the time but it was definitely a good move it looks alot better surprisingly I don't feel its loss. 

My husband just started to have thinning hair and is considering clippers but is worried that he will look weird, he is pretty pale and his hair is dark black and curly. He has a great beard though, black and well maintained with red and silver in it as he ages which is cool...he also feels that his beard is an intrinsic part of himself and will not shave it. I feel that way about my hair, which I trim but wear long. It is thick and black with a reddish cast in the sun (and now that I am in my 30s some cool silver threads through it) and I feel naked and powerless without it.  My mother was very psychologically abusive and knew this when I was growing up, and cut my hair several times to punish me. She would cut it from where I usually wear it, about mid-back length, to a bob, once at age 13 she hacked it with kitchen shears into a horrid chili bowl cut a la The Three Stooges, which I found emotionally scarring. It was horrid, my sisters crying and begging her to stop, and made me totally aware of the emotional attachment I have to my hair and the power it can hold over someone. My dad came to pick me up for the weekend two days later and when he saw my hair, passed out from the shock. They then had a big row about what she did with the sweepings and I still feel weird about it.  After moving out at 17 to escape Mommie Dearest I had the same hairdresser until he passed away last year and since then I only let my husband cut my hair. Having my hair cut for me is a very intimate act, one which I would only allow someone who I really trust to do.  

So Sorry your mother was that way. My father is like my best friend my mom on the other hand was very abusive, she has a personality disorder I try to tell my self that it wasn't her fault that she was sick,but I just can't forget or forgive.

Getting my hair cut is becoming more tolerable as the years go by, but there's still a hint of trauma in it.  As a direct result, I only get my hair cut 1-2 times per year.

I had gorgeous chestnut hair growing up.  More like a 'mane' than "just" hair, really: very thick, lustrous, flowed to my waist.  Then when I was 9 years old, my parents took me to a salon for what I thought was a usual trim, and without my knowing, instructed the stylist to cut it all off.  I do mean "all".  To this day I don't know why they did- and why they insisted I maintain what was essentially a crew cut.  I began tracking how many people mistook me for a boy: I stopped when that number reached 50 after a year and a half- it was too depressing to continue keeping score.  I eventually asserted myself at the age of 12 and began growing it out.  It wasn't until my late 20s that I could walk into a salon without instantly having a panic attack.

I've maintained long or very-long hair in adulthood, but due to a new(ish) painful medical condition that is exacerbated by pulling my hair back- which is a necessity due to my lifestyle's activities- I chopped my hair off at the beginning of this year.  Cosmetically, it looked great, but I missed what- in hindsight- felt to be a bit of power.  (On a side-note, I couldn't help but entertain bittersweet emotions about the event, because enough of my hair was taken for a program that makes wigs for cancer patients who are balding from chemotherapy.  As a cancer survivor, it was an unexpectedly strong sense of honor to be a part of the circle of life in that way. <cue Lion King soundtrack>).

I haven't had a haircut since, and it's gotten long enough to require being put up or pulled back (thus triggering the nerve pain condition to act up more than usual).  But I really want to grow it out again, especially since I'm being called to embrace my femininity.  I never thought I'd ever be so torn about something as deceptively simple as whether or not to get a haircut!

[...] and it isn't until the 20th century that shaving your face bald became a popular practice...it was a result of women supposedly finding the GIs handsome after WWI, they were required to keep their face shaved for the gas masks. 

---

I actually had no clue about that!  I attended a boot camp graduation ceremony some years ago.  Searching the sea of shaved heads and beardless faces, it was quite difficult to spot the GI I was there to visit .  At the time, I got the impression that the "clean" look was an attempt to homogenize them and strip them of their individuality so they saw themselves as objects/machines with the intent of taking action only to serve the "Greater Good's" purpose/mission.  But the gas mask aspect makes more, er, practical sense.   :wink:

[Edited for clarity]

Edited by ArcticWitch
  • Upvote 1

I've had long hair and short hair, and currently shave my head - no effect on my practice in any way.

Shaving my head does make me more sensitive to the world around me though - hair dulls and blocks quite a bit of sensory perception I feel like. Also increases confidence and is a good way to feel renewed.

What about fingernails? Anyone grow those out for magical power? Lol!

Getting my hair cut is becoming more tolerable as the years go by, but there's still a hint of trauma in it.  As a direct result, I only get my hair cut 1-2 times per year.

I had gorgeous chestnut hair growing up.  More like a 'mane' than "just" hair, really: very thick, lustrous, flowed to my waist.  Then when I was 9 years old, my parents took me to a salon for what I thought was a usual trim, and without my knowing, instructed the stylist to cut it all off.  I do mean "all".  To this day I don't know why they did- and why they insisted I maintain what was essentially a crew cut.  I began tracking how many people mistook me for a boy: I stopped when that number reached 50 after a year and a half- it was too depressing to continue keeping score.  I eventually asserted myself at the age of 12 and began growing it out.  It wasn't until my late 20s that I could walk into a salon without instantly having a panic attack.

I've maintained long or very-long hair in adulthood, but due to a new(ish) painful medical condition that is exacerbated by pulling my hair back- which is a necessity due to my lifestyle's activities- I chopped my hair off at the beginning of this year.  Cosmetically, it looked great, but I missed what- in hindsight- felt to be a bit of power.  (On a side-note, I couldn't help but entertain bittersweet emotions about the event, because enough of my hair was taken for a program that makes wigs for cancer patients who are balding from chemotherapy.  As a cancer survivor, it was an unexpectedly strong sense of honor to be a part of the circle of life in that way. <cue Lion King soundtrack>).

I haven't had a haircut since, and it's gotten long enough to require being put up or pulled back (thus triggering the nerve pain condition to act up more than usual).  But I really want to grow it out again, especially since I'm being called to embrace my femininity.  I never thought I'd ever be so torn about something as deceptively simple as whether or not to get a haircut!

I totally understand the anger at having your hair hacked, and I was mistaken for a (much older) boy for almost a year until it grew out.  I was *so* mad, and still carry some of the anger towards my mother for forcing me to receive such a sick punishment.  She is still venomous about my haircuts and my looks, trying to get me to Anglicize myself by dying my hair a lighter shade or to use skin lighteners. It's bullshit.  I wish I could be brave enough to cut off enough hair to give to Locks of Love, considering that I have taken medication that made it fall out in weird clumps like a mangy dog and I know how it feels to lose it, so mad props for that.

Hawkwind, my mom has a litany of psychological disorders, but the pain and anger I still feel towards her cannot be wiped away by that, so I understand your point of view.  Cutting my hair for her sadistic pleasure is merely the tip of the iceberg on that one, and a whole other thread in and of its self.

Edited by RachelLizLear

Wow, I thought my mom was the only one who chopped my hair against my wishes! For her though it was never a punishment, but it would happen every time i got my haircut (she was always the hair cutter, never a salon). I would tell her what I wanted, and she would give me what she wanted. A trim was never a trim, because 1 inch equals 4 lol. Now that Im older and I look back on it i think it was rooted in jealousy, and maybe she wasnt even conscious of that. We have the same hair type, but because she dyes and uses heat styling and product hers doesnt grow very long before looking stringy and dry. Mine grows to midback before it stops, but its not thick or lustrous. just copper red. I stopped getting hair cuts at about 17, and my hair has been long every since. every time i wear it down she compliments it and/or laments the state of her own hair (though in recent years she has listened to me more about how i take care of mine and hers is the longest right now than ive ever seen it). Moms are strange, im afraid of having daughters because of the bizarre dynamic I experienced growing up haha.

I keep it long because i feel the most like myself, its also pretty practical to tie up in a bun or braid, my short hair always fell out in the front and got in my face. it just makes me feel pretty and natural and it would be an emotional event to cut it off. Not necessarily spiritual reasons, but good enough reasons I suppose.

I've seen this article around, I'm not sure how true this story it is as I cant find any other information on it, but it is really interesting and related to the topic  http://www.sott.net/article/234783-The-Truth-About-Hair-and-Why-Indians-Would-Keep-Their-Hair-Long

and this has more info and some videos about some native american views on hair and why it was kept long: http://www.whitewolfpack.com/2013/08/elders-talk-about-significance-of-long.html

Im not native but I think the ideas about hair are super interesting. Ive often wondered why humans hair grows so long on the head, its not just an evolutionary fluke otherwise we might see other animals with nonsensical adaptations. unless its purely cosmetic for selection, something like the birds of paradise. anyway, i had a deep hearty chuckle at your fingernail comment, Travsha :)!

• 3 months later...

When suffering periods of extreme depression I project the feeling into my hair. I then completely shave all the hair from my body, except for my eyelashes, in a ritualistic way using a straight razor. In shedding my hair I distance myself from my depression. I don't know if this has any real basis in a historical paradigm, but I have found it definitely works for me.

I think hair cutting is good for creating an opportunity for change. You can control the length for your desired change, very useful. Also I believe you can infuse your hair with negativity and sever yourself from it using hair cutting.

What about fingernails? Anyone grow those out for magical power? Lol!

I keep mine long deliberately as I like to use them as a focusing tool when casting. Probably psychological though, my workings are no better/worse depending on nail length.

I recently shaved the left side of my head, after a big change. Now that I'm living with my parents again, I'm going to grow it out again. I practiced little magic in the time I shaved it, but it mostly affected my mood when practicing magic rather than my skill.

Wasn't it once custom to cut your hair while mourning?

I think in Judaism it was the other way round, mourners were not permitted to cut their hair. (Could be wrong it's been quite a lot of years since Religious Studies GCSE...)

• 2 years later...

I have a few questions. Does a male witches hair hold as much power as a female witch?

And say said male witch has male pattern baldness, and shaves his head because he looks better that way.

Is his power weaker because he is bald, or can he be just as powerful as he wishes, like the Egyptian Sorcerors?

Edited by EnlightenedAnimal88

Lol Yes a man's hair has as much power as a woman's. As for power I'm strongly inclined to say no but then again some cultures do attribute power to hair so perhaps, if you designate power to hair it could affect it. For me hair length has nothing to do with power.

Also I'm sorry you're balding :)

I love my hair and it is a source of pride. I think feeling good about it, no matter how you keep your hair is going to give you more magical oomph than what ever length you keep it.

For me the opposite has been true. Any time I cut my hair I get a surge of strong power. Whether this is a subconscious confidence sort of thing or not I can't speak for sure, but when I go drastically short I get a fiery burst of energy. My hair is shoulder length now because I haven't had it in me to go in for a cut, but every time this happens  and then I go in for my "usual" I get this burst of energy that lasts for about a week or so. I notice people and things "attract" to me the most during this time, also. My "usual" is a short forward-diagonal bob so it's not like I'm shaving my head or something really out there.

It sort of feels like a weight, whenever my hair gets around the length it is now (which is really not very long). 

Edited by Madame

There is a common belief that hair cutting removes past baggage, like the energy of the past is linearly attached to hair and that cutting hair is like cutting ethereal cords

There is a common belief that hair cutting removes past baggage, like the energy of the past is linearly attached to hair and that cutting hair is like cutting ethereal cords

Makes sense. It reminds me of the saying "wash that man out of your hair" after a break up.

• Upvote 1

Scary as this sounds Gypsy just had me laughing. Cause if I could spell I would be dangerous. I got my hair trimmed by my meme with moon phases. She preferred to uses hair that came freely with the brush or comb for spells although I do remember her occasionally bumping people or brushing or plucking a hair from a collar or head and saying oh bless my heart there was a string or lint I did not mean to catch your hair. I cut my hair in Afghanistan and it is slowly growing back, but conventional medicines are making it thinner.

I shaved all my hair off in December. It was such an empowering experience. I guess my hair or lack of it doesn't have an effect on my power and energy, but the feeling of being in control was awesome and gave my overall confidence a much needed boost. My hair is now cropped short and I think I want it to stay that way for a while.

• 3 weeks later...

Since childhood, I've known that I wanted to wear my hair long and grow out my facial hair. Starting in my early teens, I began to grow out my hair, and as long as I've been able to grow facial hair, I've kept a beard (although in my teens I would shave it occasionally before letting it grow back). For me, my hair has always felt vitally connected to my spiritual well-being and strength. The last time I had a serious haircut was on my 20th birthday (7 years ago), and it marked the snapping point in a dark period in my life and the beginning of a nervous breakdown (and a powerful spiritual initiation). Since then, I've only trimmed my hair once, shortly before my wedding (about 2 years ago) to get rid of some dead ends. The last time I shaved my beard was about 5 years ago, save for a slight trim of my mustache just before my wedding. I definitely feel like my hair is a source of power in my magic, although I can understand that for some this may not be true (or the reverse may be true). Taboos are rarely universal, but they can be very real to the individual. 

I've been thinking about trimming my hair again, just because the ends are looking so dead, but the thought of going into a barber and having them unceremoniously lob off my ends fills me with revulsion and dread. This thread has been helpful to me, in the suggestion about trimming hair on the full moon. Furthermore, it has inspired me to put out some inquiries in my magical circles to see if I can find someone who might be willing and able to give me a trim in a ritual setting. I want my hair to be healthy, but in the same vein I want to treat the act of cutting it as the sacred and severe activity that it is.