Hair cutting or not for magical potency

Blyss

A few days ago, a friend of mine (who says he doesn't want to be called wiccan, but might as well have long ears and a cotton-ball tail) introduced me to a new lady friend of his.  Apparently, she is part of a working group.  Nice enough person, but anyway . . . she showed me a picture from their solstice party.  Nine or so women and a half dozen girls (kids), and . . . they ALL had super long, straight hair (no bangs, no curl).  They all had the same general body shape, too --> overweight with most of the fluff on their rears.  So, I am thinking that they all belong to the same family, which would explain the similarities, but nope.  According to this lady, Witches are supposed to have long, straight hair . . . no joke, that is what she said.  She said, when people join their group, even the kids, they have to grow their hair out, because the goddess has long, straight hair.  So, being the antagonist that I am, I asked about the men.  According to her, men can't be Witches . . . it's not "allowed'.  Needless to say, I did not have the stomach to continue the conversation, except to tell my friend . . . Seriously?, before punching him in the arm. 

lol,  what about people with curly hair, would they have to get there hair straightened? Dose she believe that only white people can be witches? This is so rediculous it is funny, but aslo kinda isn't because it's a bit scary to think that some  people really believe there own fantasy so whole heartly that they inflict those beliefs on others, even children.

A few days ago, a friend of mine (who says he doesn't want to be called wiccan, but might as well have long ears and a cotton-ball tail) introduced me to a new lady friend of his.  Apparently, she is part of a working group.  Nice enough person, but anyway . . . she showed me a picture from their solstice party.  Nine or so women and a half dozen girls (kids), and . . . they ALL had super long, straight hair (no bangs, no curl).  They all had the same general body shape, too --> overweight with most of the fluff on their rears.  So, I am thinking that they all belong to the same family, which would explain the similarities, but nope.  According to this lady, Witches are supposed to have long, straight hair . . . no joke, that is what she said.  She said, when people join their group, even the kids, they have to grow their hair out, because the goddess has long, straight hair.  So, being the antagonist that I am, I asked about the men.  According to her, men can't be Witches . . . it's not "allowed'.  Needless to say, I did not have the stomach to continue the conversation, except to tell my friend . . . Seriously?, before punching him in the arm. 

I would venture to agree with Solanaceae . . . to each their own, but having long hair doesn't make someone more powerful.

Oh, Jesus-Tap-Dancing-Christ! What a loon!! I have quite a few greys for a just-turned-30 year old. The folks in my maternal line go grey rather early and usually have a full head of shockingly white hair before their 50th birthday. I currently henna my hair, and find that it blends the grays very nicely. I'm not opposed to going grey -- I actually welcome it -- but I love my henna too much to give it up. Plus, my natural not-grey color is a icky mousey brown...

Edited to Add: My hair is fairly long (just below bra strap), fine, and pin-straight with no bangs.... so I get to be a "real witch!" Yay, me!  :jackoff:

Edited by Evergreen47

I would venture to agree with Solanaceae . . . to each their own, but having long hair doesn't make someone more powerful.

I have to ask, do they all have to dye their hair the same color too?

I would have kicked the twat who said men can't be witches.

You wouldn't want to have kicked that "twat", Sweetie.  You might have lost a foot. :vhappywitch:

I recently got bored with my hair and started bleaching my short hair a very obviously fake platinum blonde. The color itself definitely has the power to make people stare LOL!!

I think it really dose suit you but hey im bias lol

I just had my hair cut yesterday - the ends HAD TO GO !!!  (still long tho') and I didn't even think about the moon phase... hmmmmm.

I did, however, have this sudden desire to take the severed hair with me, but couldn't think of a way to broach the subject with the hair dresser without seeming totally insane.  **I just posted this a few minutes ago, before seeing this thread... again, odd.**

I've since thought of reasonable way to get my hair next time without raising too many eyebrows, should that overwhelming desire return. 

Does anyone else NOT liking leaving hair (or any part of themselves) behind?

maybe i am insane... lol.

Does anyone else NOT liking leaving hair (or any part of themselves) behind?

maybe i am insane... lol.

It doesn't bother me, but there are posts about this elsewhere and I believe we have members who do not leave their hair behind at salons. 

You wouldn't want to have kicked that "twat", Sweetie.  You might have lost a foot. :vhappywitch:

It's cool, I have one of those mining helmets with the light on the front. I could always venture on in and retrieve the foot. As long as there is a pickaxe I can borrow to break my way back out.

Edited by Davenport

I know what you mean about leaving hair behind on the floor of the salon- although they start sweeping immediately.

For ages I've kept my hair shoulder length - IDK but I seem to always have it up- at work definately- down, it is a distraction (and kinda hot too).

I don't mind the grey- never got into the coloring thing.

Edited by Belwenda

• 1 month later...

i think it has a lot to do with personal comfort. I always had my hair short as a child and my sister's was always long. she cries when she gets a trim and when my hair grows to my shoulders i find myself searching for scissors to get it back up to my ears. I started cutting my hair at least once a semester in college, salons are expensive when you hate having long hair as much as i do and if it looks bad i can rest easy knowing that i didn't waste money on it. What I'm actually dealing with is going gray early. My mom was mostly gray by the time she completed undergrad, just before she was 22. I'm starting to find them in my eyebrows. It's not much, and I think the reason i'm not finding them on my head is because I color my hair a lot. Most of the time reddish brown which looks natural on me but I've done cotton candy blue blue (which faded to a almost sea blue green then to silver before i went back to as close to my natural color as i could) The only problem was that the colorist didn't want to bleach my hair anymore (understandably) so to make sure that the coolness of the silver-blue was covered up a bit she mixed in red with the brown. My roots are straight up brown but there's a coppery tone to the dyed bits and It's making me want to go red again.

tl;dr I think hair is hair and that it can hold power, but in different ways for different people and it has a lot to do with what an individual finds comfortable for themselves.

Over the past few years I've been having dreams about having long hair

I am happy to report that since my hair has grown out to about shoulder length, those irritating dreams have stopped.

^ because your hair is long enough finally or you're sick of growing it out?

I guess it's because it's long 'enough' for whatever my brain wanted to happen. I plan on growing it out at least a foot more. About a month ago I got the first tangle I've had in years. So sad :frown: 

Long hair gives new meaning to Knot Magic :smile:

That happens a lot during sleep ;)

I have used hair for knot magic. It didn't work, but that had nothing to do with the hair. I am going to try again until I'm sure it works, or until I am sure it's never going to work for me.

But I should go a little more on-topic. I have been growing my hair for about 10 years now. Last time I checked my hair was about 70 cm long but that was about a year ago. It was really short before that and I can't imagine cutting off such an important part of myself. It would be like I was litterally removing part of my body and energy. That might be because I have always loved combing it and treating it with oil. Just like my most important tools, love it and use it a lot.

• 7 months later...

I am one of the men who shaves his head on a regular basis, and it feels very empowering to me, especially when I feel the need to "renew" myself. Ususally I make some ritual out of it, and especially so when I go through dramatic bouts of change and I wish to underline that, or when I want to show my dedication for specific reasons.

Hmm I definitely feel more feminine as my hair grows which is a power all of its own, but I think it's depedant on the individual. If you believe it gives you power or increases your power then it does, and if you believe cutting it helps you then it does. We're all different. I know a Romani/Jewish girl who shaves sections of her head for spiritual reasons and feels it takes away negative energy. As for hair habits I tend to keep my cut hair long after I cut it which some people think is a little weird. I don't cut it according to the moon phases although I might start doing it. My hair cutting is usually dependant on my mental state so it's rather erratic. I also dye it several different colours a year according to where I'm at in life.

**edited because the first try didn't make any sense

Edited by ficklefae

most of my adult life I've had long hair, I am like Horne though in that I will shave it completely bald in a ritualistic fashion for various reasons.  I typically go from one extreme to the other, very very long hair down to bald.  I'm also one of those people who can pull off virtually any hairstyle including mohawks and the occasional mullet in the past (just because I looked good with it doesn't mean they look good XD).  Currently my hair is shoulder-length. 

Ficklefae mentioned feeling more feminine with it, for me I find the opposite.  I find I feel a lot more masculine when my hair is longer and I relate this to the power I feel from having it.  I also prefer to have a beard, and in the past I've grown it rather long.  At one point I had a goatee that was down to the middle of my chest, there is a lot of power I associate with having long facial hair as well.  Beards in most of society in the past were associated with "status" and it isn't until the 20th century that shaving your face bald became a popular practice...it was a result of women supposedly finding the GIs handsome after WWI, they were required to keep their face shaved for the gas masks.  In European history the Romans were really only one of the well known "shaven faced" people and it was actually a policy of most Viking tribes to kill unbearded men on sight during the Christian expansion wars.  I keep my beard trimmed for the time being but Winter is coming and I may let it go wild a bit.  Currently I just have a short beard with my neck cleaned up.  I'm actually fortunate that I can grow a good beard because it's very uncommon for men on my mother's side of the family to be able to grow one.

Edited by Capsicum